• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Good Morning. We had severe thunderstorms here, but this time much more rain. I haven't looked at my rain gauge yet but feel like 1/4 inch maybe. We are already getting weather alert for potential of severe storms again today on WSMR. Our monsoon almost always kicks off the first of July so maybe this is a good start.

Linda and I just booked Cabin 3 at Spruce Cabins for arriving July 24th heading home July 31st.

If the forest is still closed that's fine its still a week out of the heat for us. Probably throw the WR250R on the hitch rack.

I did a "thing" over the weekend. Picked up a nicely accessorized 2017 CB500x. Had a great time up in Florence Co checking out the Royal Gorge....
Fremont Motorsports had some good people and easy to work with.
Now to figure out do i ride the WR250 or the CB500 that weekend.
I have been working on some routes. Most are easy, about 50/50 dirt and hwy. Im interested to see what others have planned and what they ride and seeing different setups.

Attachments

• Honda 500 6 2022.jpg
    Honda 500 6 2022.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have no planned rides. Not even sure I am bringing a bike yet. If I bring a bike it will be the WR250R and I will still ride easy stuff and blacktop.

If not riding, is there enough "stuff" to do in CC for 5/6 days to keep from being bored? Have only been there once and didn't look like much. Suggestions please.

If not riding, is there enough "stuff" to do in CC for 5/6 days to keep from being bored? Have only been there once and didn't look like much. Suggestions please.

I have been out there a few times, but Linda has never spent any time there. Here are a few things, none of them take all day but are fun to do:

The Museum of Space History

White Sands National Park

Lincoln County Court House

Smokey Bear Historical Park

Sunspot Observatory

Sitting outside in a lawn chair with a cold beer soaking up 30 degree cooler temperatures than at home.

Thats what i would have said. Its a small community, and Alamogordo isnt that big either. There are rides to be had even if the forest doesnt open. But of course it will be mostly paved rides.

That rain has to be a blessing for many reasons, no doubt many are happy to see it. A friend has a place in Weed and has been very worried about the fire conditions.

Hope the fires are assisting the fire crews in their hard efforts all over the state...

I took a ride up to and around Cloudcroft, pic is from the Suns Spot hwy. I wanted to see how the bike would do and i must say i really enjoyed the new ride. On the way up about Bailey canyon i must have driven through a wet line or something because the temp dropped but at the same time the smell of the pine trees came in strong. I ended up in Sacramento and Weed, thats when the rain hit. And man did it rain, for over two hours, hail, rain lightning and close to me. I got soaked and of course the temp dropped big time. You could definitely tell its been raining up there but not wide spread. Today and tomorrow we are forecast for more showers.
So for some help. Id like to find a riding jacket and pants that have the pads in them. That arent really heavy so i can wear them in the summer so maybe vented yet warm for instances like i dealt with yesterday. And waterproof. Does such a setup exist? I dont want an $900 suit either.
Thanks ....

Attachments

• CB Ride.jpg
    CB Ride.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 68
The RIDE is CANCELLED.

Although I do think the forest will be open in time I'm not mother nature, nor a forest manager.

As I know last minute rescheduling and lodging reservations are tough I'm going to pull the plug now.
Sanders, Darn we're booked at Spruce, did they work with you on cancellation charges or do we eat the 50% deposit ? We may go anyway there are many good roads to ride that are not forest service rds ? Please comment.

Sander, Darn we're booked at Spruce, did they work with you on cancellation charges or do we eat the 50% deposit ? We may go anyway there are many good roads to ride that are not forest service rds ? Please comment.
I'll be there regardless. I need a break from the heat.

If the forest is still closed I'll find something else to do instead sweating at home... I'm also on a fly fishing lease near Mayhill that I need to visit, if the fish don't get washed away.

Its been raining there since I woke up this morning - https://www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/
...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT... WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues to be possible.

1655829018150.png

Action Recommended​

Avoid the subject event as per the instructions

Issued By​

El Paso - TX, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area​

Portions of southern New Mexico, including Otero, Sierra, Dona Ana, Luna, and eastern Grant Counties. Portions of far west Texas, including El Paso and western Hudspeth Counties

Description​

...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT... WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues to be possible. WHERE...Portions of southern New Mexico, including Otero, Sierra, Dona Ana, Luna, and eastern Grant Counties. Portions of far west Texas, including El Paso and western Hudspeth Counties. WHEN...through 6 AM Wednesday morning. IMPACTS...Areas of steep terrain, urban and low lying areas, and the Black Fire burn scar will be most susceptible to excessive rainfall and rapid runoff. Drainages and arroyos within hilly terrain may cause flooding downstream of heavy rainfall as well. ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - Abundant monsoonal moisture has moved into the region. This moisture will combine with an approaching upper level storm system to develop numerous showers and thunderstorms which could produce heavy rain and excessive runoff. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.

Sanders, Darn we're booked at Spruce, did they work with you on cancellation charges or do we eat the 50% deposit ? We may go anyway there are many good roads to ride that are not forest service rds ? Please comment.
Where is that? Is it a cabin or?

The RIDE is CANCELLED.

Although I do think the forest will be open in time I'm not mother nature, nor a forest manager.

As I know last minute rescheduling and lodging reservations are tough I'm going to pull the plug now.

Where is that? Is it a cabin or?
Spruce Cabins in Cloudcroft, graet place to stay.

I'll be there regardless. I need a break from the heat.

If the forest is still closed I'll find something else to do instead sweating at home... I'm also on a fly fishing lease near Mayhill that I need to visit, if the fish don't get washed away.

Its been raining there since I woke up this morning - https://www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/
...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT... WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues to be possible.

View attachment 323667

Action Recommended​

Avoid the subject event as per the instructions

Issued By​

El Paso - TX, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area​

Portions of southern New Mexico, including Otero, Sierra, Dona Ana, Luna, and eastern Grant Counties. Portions of far west Texas, including El Paso and western Hudspeth Counties

Description​

...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT... WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues to be possible. WHERE...Portions of southern New Mexico, including Otero, Sierra, Dona Ana, Luna, and eastern Grant Counties. Portions of far west Texas, including El Paso and western Hudspeth Counties. WHEN...through 6 AM Wednesday morning. IMPACTS...Areas of steep terrain, urban and low lying areas, and the Black Fire burn scar will be most susceptible to excessive rainfall and rapid runoff. Drainages and arroyos within hilly terrain may cause flooding downstream of heavy rainfall as well. ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - Abundant monsoonal moisture has moved into the region. This moisture will combine with an approaching upper level storm system to develop numerous showers and thunderstorms which could produce heavy rain and excessive runoff. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.

My wife and I will most likely be somewhere around Cloudcroft this year, whether I can ride a motorcycle or not. We really enjoyed our stay at the Cloud Climbing Railroad Campground last year. Also, anything to get out of this heat.

Back