• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1970 BSA A65L

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here...from Austin,Texas (South Austin...Bubbaland!). Recently bought a 1970 BSA Lightening and have been searching for a reliable service shop and mechanic who knows vintage British bikes. Anyone know of a place in central Texas or Austin?

20200502_120323.jpg

Try @Cuznbob he is a member here, does alot of older BMW stuff but I'm sure he can handle the bsa

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There used to be a british bike shop close to downtown Pflugerville. Not sure of name are if he is still there. Been about five years. It was on Pecan street. He had some nice Triumphs and BSA's.

That is some serious vintage bike! Welcome to TWT.
Thanks tshelfer! Yes. Kinda proud of it. Had one when I was a pup...first motorcycle. Now 70 and it will be my last bike! Need to get it thoroughly checked out before I can trust it to get me home when I ride it. I'm not a mechanic. Being a retired CPA, I lack the knowledge of ignition and carbureton but am smart enough to admit my limitations.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the group. Your bike looks great. Have you been riding it?

I am just now getting into a couple of BSA's myself. Haven't had any of those before but if you have questions contact me off list and I will be more than happy to help you as much as I can.
Zonie

Welcome to the group. Your bike looks great. Have you been riding it?

I am just now getting into a couple of BSA's myself. Haven't had any of those before but if you have questions contact me off list and I will be more than happy to help you as much as I can.
Zonie
Thanks Zonie! Am certain you will like a BSA. They are indeed basic and utilitarian old school motorcycles. BSA quit production back in 1973, but parts seem to be readily available. No bells and whistles though. I had a Thunderbolt A65T through the70s which I dearly loved...very reliable machine. Thereafter, until recently, I have not even so much a mounted a bike of any make. Then, back in May after I retired, I drank a little too much sangria one night and in a nostalgic moment found a 1970 BSA Lightning A65L on EBAY. Bought it after talking to the owner out in California. I decided to convert the points ignition to a boyer electronic ignition. The shop I used was Limey Bikes in Austin. On my way back home from the shop the bike quit at a stop light and I had it towed back to the shop $75. They charged the battery and told me that boyer ignition systems need a strong battery before I left the shop for home again. Well, the thing died again at another stop light! I mean dead cold died...both times. Had it towed home, another $75 and It has sat prettily in my garage since then. I checked the voltage in my battery and it reads 13volts. I don't get it and am now gun shy take it anywhere. Need someone knowledgeable to get second or plain old reliable recommendations regarding these electronic ignitions.

Another retiree retread, eh? That's a common story on this forum. I quit riding in the early 80s, courtesy of a combination of child raising and career building monopolizing my time. So after the old CB400 sat for about 2 years, I sold it to a neighbor.

I retired in 2008. In 2009, a neighborhood friend showed up with a barn find Honda CB500. When he offered me the chance to run it around the block, I couldn't resist - and I was smitten all over. A few months later, I had scored an ancient CB650 that had been sitting in a storage unit. A year on it convinced me I was back into riding for the long term. Since then, I've spent 10 years on a pair of VStroms.

It's great to be back on 2 wheels, ain't it?

Sure is! I even took a motorcycle safety course to help my knock the rust off of my riding and handling skills. I ordered a new battery for my bike so if the shop advice I received is sound, I will be back on the road. I have discovered that at the age of 70, I can't handle the heat like I did in my youth. Now I am looking forward to fall!😁

Larry,
Boyers are very voltage sensitive. I run Pazon's myself, it can run with 9v where Boyers start to get weird at around 11v.
My BSA's are both 53's. An A10 and a C11, both in a world of hurt but I will bring the C11 back to pretty much stock. The A10 is a bobber and my pockets aren't deep enough to do a total restoration.
I have run Norton's since the early 70's and currently have 4. Vintage British motorcycles can be like hangers, they multiply in the dark.
I'm looking forward to the Harvest Classic in Luckenback and the Lake of the Pines Rally both are in October.

Attachments

• 20200523_162456.jpg
    20200523_162456.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0241.JPG
    DSCN0241.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 339
Larry, Is your bike charging?
Cris the Brit at Limey Bikes in Austin performed a charging system check along with the Boyer install. Right now, at rest for two weeks, the battery, a PUZ5 A reads 13 volts. It's 3 years old. My suspicion is that the battery may not be able to sustain the ignition while the bike is in traffic, at stop lights, etc. Especially with headlight on. Never had an issue with points ignition. Am trying to decide which battery may be more appropriate for the boyer. Reading lot of conflicting and frankly confusing stuff on the internet regarding that.

Cris the Brit at Limey Bikes in Austin performed a charging system check along with the Boyer install. Right now, at rest for two weeks, the battery, a PUZ5 A reads 13 volts. It's 3 years old. My suspicion is that the battery may not be able to sustain the ignition while the bike is in traffic, at stop lights, etc. Especially with headlight on. Never had an issue with points ignition. Am trying to decide which battery may be more appropriate for the boyer. Reading lot of conflicting and frankly confusing stuff on the internet regarding that.
By the way, Zonie...thank you for your interest in my bike as well as for your replies.Larry

I run a Lithium battery on my 74 850 Norton with a CNW starter and belt drive. Works a charm. The other Norton's run sealed lead acid batteries.

I put in an after market charge indicator on my bike, works like a charm. You might look into using LED bulbs, they do make them to fit Lucas bulb holders, I fitter an LED bulb in my headlight and it works great with minimal power draw.
Check out this web site for the charge indicator.

I put in an after market charge indicator on my bike, works like a charm. You might look into using LED bulbs, they do make them to fit Lucas bulb holders, I fitter an LED bulb in my headlight and it works great with minimal power draw.
Check out this web site for the charge indicator.
I did led on my Roal Enfield and it stopped bulbs going out from vibration.

I love a bike with vibes. I did all but the headlight it didn't fail. Thae 2015 RE had the best and brightest headlight I have ever had on a bike. You could roast wieners on it.
Those are sweet looking BSA's in this thread.

I put a LED headlight in also. They came as a 2-pak and I have the second one. I can get you the number off the package. They work with positive or negative ground and remember your BSA has a positive ground! I bought a Norton years ago from a guy that reversed the wires and it burned out several feet of wiring.

Back