• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1970 BSA A65L

You will have to change the socket to a regular automotive style headlight bulb socket from the Lucas one. I have the Lucas style bullet connectors and tool to crimp them on so you don't have to cut off the original ones on the wiring harness. I hate it when people butcher the wiring! If you want I can make one up for you?
One of the BSA's I'm working on had an all red wiring harness so I will need to re-wire it when I get to that point. You have to wonder what people were thinking when they do things like that! Good thing is I have saved many old harnesses off of British bikes and use the wires out of them to make new and correct harnesses for my project bikes.

I put a LED headlight in also. They came as a 2-pak and I have the second one. I can get you the number off the package. They work with positive or negative ground and remember your BSA has a positive ground! I bought a Norton years ago from a guy that reversed the wires and it burned out several feet of wiring.
Would love to get the number off the package, Zonie. Yes, am aware of the positive ground...the last thing I want is to fry my wiring system.

Larry,
Well the package is all in Chinese so that doesn't do us much good. Went back into my purchases on Ebay but that only goes back to 2018 and I got them before that. So I found another listing on ebay for H4 LED bulbs and came up with these. You might just be able to find them stateside and save the hassle of dealing with Ebay and China.

Check if this part fits your vehicle
Select Vehicle
SAVE UP TO 10% WHEN YOU BUY MORE
Feedback
Leave feedback about your eBay ViewItem experience

Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in new window or tab
Seller information
hebli_7 (3901 )
99.8% Positive feedback

Save this Seller

Contact seller
Visit store
See other items

H4 HB2 9003 CREE LED Bulbs High/Low Beam Headlight 6500K White For Motorcycle US

Condition:
New

Bulk savings:
Buy 1
$17.29/ea

Buy 2
$16.43/ea

Buy 3
$15.91/ea

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
4 or more for $15.56/ea

More than 10 available17 sold / See feedback

Price:
US $17.29/ea

US $20.34 (15% off)
Buy It Now
Add to cart

Best Offer:

Make Offer
Add to Watchlist
1-year accident protection plan from SquareTrade - $5.99
100% buyer satisfaction
Free shipping
30-day returns

Shipping:
FREE Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Rowland Heights, California, United States

Ships to:
United States See exclusions

Delivery:
Estimated between Mon. Aug. 10 and Tue. Aug. 11

Payments:
s_1x2.png
s_1x2.png
s_1x2.png
s_1x2.png
s_1x2.png

logoPaypalCredit_104x16.png

Special financing available. | See terms and apply now

Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard. Learn more

Returns:
30 day Buyer pays for return shipping | See details

s-l1600.jpg

Similar sponsored items1/2

You might want to check with Jim Noll at BritishBikeConnection.com, I think he might have the LED bulbs to fit the Lucas pre-focused headlight. I realized that my 74 Commando has a different pre-focused headlight, I had put a halogen one on it years ago. My bad!

Yay, more vintage bike stuff!!!
Sadly Stu of SOS Cycle sold all his stuff and disappeared to the hills. He was/is a savant with Norton/BSA/Triumph, and no slouch with old HD.

I got an email from my friend in NY and Yes they do make a Lucas style LED bulb. He is checking to see if they make a 6v version for my 2 oldest BSA's.

I got an email from my friend in NY and Yes they do make a Lucas style LED bulb. He is checking to see if they make a 6v version for my 2 oldest BSA's.
Oh great! I did take my A65 back to the shop that I stalled the Boyer in it. I think they installed it wrong in the 1st place. Just wouldn't even start after I put a new freshly charged battery in it. I noticed the ammeter was pointing to the charging side when I turned the ignition switch on. Wrong way! I will put a LED bulb in the headlight whenever I get it back from the shop. Larry

Oh great! I did take my A65 back to the shop that I stalled the Boyer in it. I think they installed it wrong in the 1st place. Just wouldn't even start after I put a new freshly charged battery in it. I noticed the ammeter was pointing to the charging side when I turned the ignition switch on. Wrong way! I will put a LED bulb in the headlight whenever I get it back from the shop. Larry
WOW! They wired it wrong? Those older British bike all had positive ground as you know. Wonder what other damage might have been done?

WOW! They wired it wrong? Those older British bike all had positive ground as you know. Wonder what other damage might have been done?
Don't know myself. I do know that all lights and indicators work...just no spark. The bike did start and run for a while after I left the shop the first time, but died cold at a stop light stranding me in downtown Austin. Motorcycle tow truck got me home. The mechanic, owner of Limey Bikes seems to know older British bikes well..has a good reputation according to customer reviews. My guess is that the Boyer may be defective...but what do I know. Will keep you informed. Larry

I ran Boyer's for years. They were the best thing going when they first came out, then others followed. I ran a Tri-Spark for a couple of years but had 3 of them die due to heat. I lived in Phoenix at the time and that system was completely inside the points cavity in the timing cover.
Put in a Pazon unit 10 years ago and have never had an issue with it. But that is me.
Don't like to bad mouth a business if I don't have all the information. Love to know what they find.

I did verify that the positive ground was correctly wired. To your point, I may just install a Pazon if I keep having problems. And if that doesn't work, back to basics with stock points ignition. I violated my own behavioral policy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The bike ran just fine on original points.

I did verify that the positive ground was correctly wired. To your point, I may just install a Pazon if I keep having problems. And if that doesn't work, back to basics with stock points ignition. I violated my own behavioral policy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The bike ran just fine on original points.
Off to get my BSA out of the shop. No charge for the wiring fix. Apologies galore from the owner. He just became distracted during the boyer install. Loose wire that became disconnected during my ride home the other day. Bike died cold in downtown Austin with 104 degree heat outside. Today I am going to trailer ot home and will give it a test flight after I get it home. More pics to come. Larry

Off to get my BSA out of the shop. No charge for the wiring fix. Apologies galore from the owner. He just became distracted during the boyer install. Loose wire that became disconnected during my ride home the other day. Bike died cold in downtown Austin with 104 degree heat outside. Today I am going to trailer ot home and will give it a test flight after I get it home. More pics to come. Larry
Well, here she is in her full splendor. Out of the shop and she runs just great.

Attachments

• 20200817_160927.jpg
    20200817_160927.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200817_160917.jpg
    20200817_160917.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200817_155651.jpg
    20200817_155651.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 20200817_155245.jpg
    20200817_155245.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200817_101923.jpg
    20200817_101923.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 20200817_101555.jpg
    20200817_101555.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 205
Well, here she is in her full splendor. Out of the shop and she runs just great.

Well, there is a 1972 Corvette undergoing a total restoration that lives in that garage too. She requires a pristine and organized workshop.
Larry I want to cover a truck project I have. It is under a metal lean two but I still want to protect it more.
LMC sells covers for specific years. Can you suggest what type that won't trap moisture or hurt paint?

Hi Windmill. I use Covercraft Weathershield HP car covers. I have 2 late model Camaros and the Corvette body which I park in the driveway. They will not leak water and they keep dust and leaves off the cars. They are sturdy. I've had them on these cars a good number of years and see no wear on the paint or on the convertible top fabric.

Attachments

• 20200820_141121.jpg
    20200820_141121.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200820_141039.jpg
    20200820_141039.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200820_141057.jpg
    20200820_141057.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 20200820_141229.jpg
    20200820_141229.jpg