• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1971 honda 750 seat frame hinges

Reaction score
i recently purchased a near basket case original 1971 honda 750 four. the previous owner had begun to turn it into a bobber, injured his back and stopped the process. when i bought it he had cut but saved the back end of the seat frame/tail light mount but completely removed the welded on hinges that secured the seat to the frame. i can see where they were but have no idea the exact location of those hinges nor what they look like. i am looking for help in determining location and size of factory hinges. i realize i may not be able to find factory hinges without cutting up another frame but at this point i am looking to make my own, possible from some heavy duty door hinges. any help with photos and as close to exact measurements would be appreciated. i live in the longview, tx area and would be willing to drive an hour or so to take photos and measurements if necessary. thank you for any help. chris

I have a '74 CB750-K and use this forum Single Overhead Cam 4 for reference when working on that bike. Much like TWT the folks are eager to help and many are very knowledgeable. I don't know if my '74 is exact frame match with a '71, but I would be glad to take a couple of pictures and measurements if you think that might help you.

Later, Bud...
IMG_0337.JPG

Let me look after work today I have a '71, PM me your number and we can talk.

good morning bud,

thanks for your prompt reply.

i do not know if your year model seat hinges are the same but i would guess they would be, just maybe a different seat design. photos would be appreciated if you could include a tap measure in it as a reference from a fixed point on the frame. i basically know the width of the looped part of the hinge due to the fact that i still have the pins that pass through it, just don't know how long the mounting point/pad is nor how wide it is. i would like to make the hinges as close to factory dimensions as possible so they will not look grossly out of place.

are you located within an hour or so of longview?

thanks for any help you can provide.

chris

I sent Ouir3 a couple of pix in a PM, but have not heard if you got them. Maybe you'll need more post before you can receive a PM. Seems there's some rule about that. So, here they are:
CB750 Seat Pan 1.jpg

CB750 Seat Pan 2.jpg

sent the message below as a reply to the pm you sent. apparently you did not receive it so i am re-posting it here. it might have ended up in your spam folder.

thanks for the photos, as they are very helpful and have brought up more questions.i can immediately see that i have mounted my seat hinges backwards.

i did not know how the hinges mounted. i was thinking they were more pointed upwards than outwards. are they at more of a parallel angle to the ground? that how they appear to be. also, how far from the frame does each hinge protrude? it appears the the forward hinge maybe be shorter in 'height' away from the frame than the rear.

also, is there a 'foot' that is part of the frame hinge? could you provide a measurement from inside hinge to inside hinge as well as outside to outside?

thanks again

Let me look after work today I have a '71, PM me your number and we can talk.
thanks for you offer jeff. i sent you my number via pm but wanted to be sure you got it. bud did not receive the one i sent him. please reply to confirm one way or the other.

There is no minimum number of posts required before you can use the PM feature. Nor is there a spam folder as there might be with emails ;-)

Carry on!

thanks jeff for the call and the detailed photos. the hinges are different than i imagined but i should be able to either fabricate some of my own or have my welder friend make some. i probably will need a few more measurements but will let you know exactly what i need when i get that far.

again, many thanks for your time and photos.

chris

good morning jeff,

may i ask you take some photos of the seat latch and it's location on the frame? i have what look like seat latch parts but cannot determine how it fastens/holds to the frame. we briefly talked about this last night but i think i was more focused on the seat hinge problem and did not listen well about the latch conversation.

thank you.

chris

thanks jeff. the photos show i don't have any thing in my parts that look like that latch point. i will take a photo of what i do have and try to post it.

visited my welder friend and he said he doesn't have time to make factory looking seat frame hinges. he offered to weld a type of piano hinge to the frame but for now i want to attempt to find/make ones similar to factory. so, my next step is to ask if anyone has a damaged beyond repair frame with the frame seat hinges intact. i would be interested in buying just the section of frame that has the hinges. if anyone has another solution for what i am wanting to do please share.

to be clear, i am not trying to restore the bike to showroom condition, more of a reconditioning but i want to be as authentic and original looking as possible.

again. thanks for any help provided.

You can buy weld on hinges of all sizes at welding supply companies. Drill your own holes if needed. Probably be better than original. Probably grind pin out and use only half if you size or modify it correctly. Anyway post what you do, it is interesting.

I think I have some hinge loose with all my CB750 parts, are you looking to get a stock seat or you just want to use the same set up, sorry I did read all discussion.

You can buy weld on hinges of all sizes at welding supply companies. Drill your own holes if needed. Probably be better than original. Probably grind pin out and use only half if you size or modify it correctly. Anyway post what you do, it is interesting.
thanks for your input. are you referring to piano style hinges? if so, the welder friend i visited showed me a style of hinge similar to that. that would be my second choice for a fix if i cannot source some from a damaged frame or build my own original looking frame hinges. i did find some scrap plate at his welding shop that i am going to try to heat and shape to be similar to the factory look. i will post photos of the project if it is successful.

I think I have some hinge loose with all my CB750 parts, are you looking to get a stock seat or you just want to use the same set up, sorry I did read all discussion.
thanks for your reply.

i am looking for the seat hinges that are welded to the frame. i have the hinges that bolt to the seat. i will be using either the original pan with replacement foam and cover or some type of complete replacement. i will pursue the actual foam/cover issue at a later time.

thanks for the link. unfortunately that is not the part i am looking for. there are 2 pieces to the seat hinge, the one in this that attaches to the seat pan and the part that i am looking for, the part that is welded to the frame. the part i need is seen in the first photo posted by tossing lead.

Back