• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1972 Honda CT70K1

Reaction score
I bought a wrecked CB400F about ten years ago to get the engine cases for a restoration I was working on. As part of the deal, I had to take a 1972 Honda CT70K1. I didn't want it, but the guy made me take it and promise to put it back into shape. It's sat in my bike storage for ten years and the current situation caused me to get it out and start working on it. It's a 3 speed auto-clutch model.

It was/is rough, but mostly complete.

IMG_2902-L.jpg

IMG_2907-L.jpg

IMG_2903-L.jpg

I spent three or four days just tinkering with it, cleaning and evaluating.

We're going to need a new seat!

IMG_2906-L.jpg

We're going to need a new battery and wiring loom. Lots of butchery has gone on here.

IMG_2909-L.jpg

IMG_2912-L.jpg

The ignition is missing!

IMG_2911-L.jpg

This doesn't bode well.

IMG_2905-L.jpg

The frame is in good shape, just these two cracks to fix. It looks like they pried out the grommet that goes here.

IMG_2919-L.jpg

The carb works, but it's going to get a rebuild after 50 years. The fuel lines were as hard and stiff as if they'd been made of steel. I have a NOS air filter for it.

IMG_2921-L.jpg

The throttle was very stiff. No wonder with this gunk and cable.

IMG_2939-L.jpg

IMG_2943-L.jpg

Last edited:
The bars are really bent, the tops are supposed to be farther apart than the bottom!

IMG_2944-L.jpg

IMG_2945-L.jpg

I straightened them some, but still have a ways to go.

IMG_2959-L.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to get an original headlamp and trim ring.

IMG_2960-L.jpg

IMG_2963-L.jpg

The gauge works except for one light bulb which is burnt out. I ran the speedo up to 20 mph with a drill.

IMG_2969-L.jpg

Testing the bulbs with a battery charger.

IMG_2968-L.jpg

Last edited:
The front hub seems fine with decent brake shoes, but the forks!!?? They definitely need work.

CT-70K1 Forks

The rear hub is good too.

I got it running, even with the bad throttle cable so I'm optimistic that its a decent runner. I was able to get it started using my hand on the kick starter,

My first goal is to make it ride-able so I can assess how much work it actually needs. To that end, I've ordered a throttle cable, front brake cable, and odds and ends like fuel line and rear brake spring. Once I get those I can ride it. There's an engine rebuild in the future, if for no other reason than to address that kick starter, but I'm hoping to hold off on that until later. Now, I'm going through all the systems and will be replacing all the parts I can so its mechanically sound while leaving the patina intact.

Looks like a serious project, but ought to be a lot of fun.

Pretty much done with the evaluation. Everything seems functional and there except from a few odds and ends. All the crankcase seals are seeping a small amount of oil so an engine rebuild is in the cards. I’ll be rebuilding the carbs, installing a new wiring harness and replacing all the seat items before I tackle that.

I brought back a 1970 model with less than 1k miles on it last fall. It is 100% complete. I rode it back in 1972 and I think it has been parked ever since. The rear wheel is locked up as is the engine. I will pull the cyl head and go from there. I feel fairly confident that new rings, a gasket set and carb rebuild will have the motor going again. We bought it back in 71 and carried it around on the front of a 67 VW camper with a cloth sunroof and 8 roof top windows. My Dad traded it (the vw) in on a 1972 Toyota Corona and I still hold that against him...at least I still have the CT70!
Good luck with your restoration. rh

Great project. You do have to wonder what was going on with the KS lever being welded to the shaft? It's an adventure and I'm glad it is in good hands.

I got the bars pretty straight!

IMG_2990-L.jpg

The throttle works now, but the carb leaks like a sieve so I've ordered new gaskets, o-rings, jets, float valve etc.

IMG_2986-L.jpg

The new air filter looks good.

IMG_2988-L.jpg

I'm going to have to media blast and repaint the step bar and pegs, they were just too rusty to leave as is.

IMG_2989-L.jpg

I also bit the bullet and ordered a new wiring loom, sealed battery, coil and ignition switch to get the electric system in good working order. I also ordered a few other parts like the rear brake cable.

At least you can get them. Some times saving an old part isn't worth the effort if a NOS item is still available.

That is really coming along, cant wait to see the finished product

At least you can get them. Some times saving an old part isn't worth the effort if a NOS item is still available.

There is a huge aftermarket support network for these bikes. You could probably put one together if you had the frame.

No kidding. And the seat pan looks great so it didn't sit in the rain after it was duct taped.

I did some media blasting today. I'm going to have to go at the kick stand again as I didn't get as much rust off as I thought. I'm using fairly mild glass bead so its not really aggressive. How about that Honda welding job on the step bar and kick stand?

IMG_2997-L.jpg

I have done soda blasting on parts for one of my projects. Works well and a good flush gets rid of the residue.

I did some media blasting today. I'm going to have to go at the kick stand again as I didn't get as much rust off as I thought. I'm using fairly mild glass bead so its not really aggressive. How about that Honda welding job on the step bar and kick stand?

View attachment 257876
What set up are you using for the blasting

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One thing about after market gaskets, o'rings, etc is a lot of them sell crappy non-floridated o'rings which are pure junk. Most everything is still available from Honda so try to use OEM if it is at all possible.

One thing about after market gaskets, o'rings, etc is a lot of them sell crappy non-floridated o'rings which are pure junk. Most everything is still available from Honda so try to use OEM if it is at all possible.

I always use Honda parts if they are available. Surprisingly all the carb maintenance parts, except the jets, are still available.

Back