• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1974 Kawasaki F7

Kinda coming in late here but concerning state inspection, just register it as an "antique motorcycle" as it's over 25 years old. No state inspection required. Of course, the letter of the law states when ridden it must be to an "event" (parade, club meeting, bike show, etc.) or out on the road for tuning purposes only. Yeah, it's pretty easy to cover the bases. Just an idea...

So, it's been half a decade since my last update. I've basically not touched the bike since then :-(
My life isn't configured for a project like this at this time. I still strongly believe there's a "simple" electrical issue somewhere. Too coincidental that fixing the brake light and loss of spark came at nearly the same time?

So: summary of the bike:

* bought it in Jan 2015 with 760 miles on it
* replaced a couple leaky seals to get it to run without the engine racing or lugging
* replaced the clutch springs and darn does this thing PULL (or, I should say "darn DID this thing pull")
* cleaned out the vacuum petcock, replaced o-rings in there, etc.
* cleaned out the tank and sealed up a dozen or more pinholes (didn't coat the tank)
* replaced a coil, got it back to life!

At this point, I did several 2 mile rides to the local hotdog trailer. LOUD and LIGHT and FUN!! Then on the way home one fine day, it died about 1/4 mile from the house. Pushed it home, and I was never able to regain spark.

At this moment, I'm thinking dead CDI (yeah, it's has a CDI).

So, that's where we are. I think it's time to pass this along to someone better equipped with time, tools, talent that can get her up, running and really enjoy this insanely low miles, 45 year old bike....

Thanks for the tips, John. I tried pushing out the float pin, but quit before it came loose. I'll put a little more oomph behind it tomorrow.

I'll see if I can find a carb rebuild kit for this fella.

On those old carb, use an electric soldering iron to heat up the aluminum posts. They will expand and the pin will come out easier.

If you break the posts off you are in deep dodo. The carbs are hard to come by and the posts are almost harder to repair.

So, it's been half a decade since my last update. I've basically not touched the bike since then :-(
My life isn't configured for a project like this at this time. I still strongly believe there's a "simple" electrical issue somewhere. Too coincidental that fixing the brake light and loss of spark came at nearly the same time?

So: summary of the bike:

* bought it in Jan 2015 with 760 miles on it
* replaced a couple leaky seals to get it to run without the engine racing or lugging
* replaced the clutch springs and darn does this thing PULL (or, I should say "darn DID this thing pull")
* cleaned out the vacuum petcock, replaced o-rings in there, etc.
* cleaned out the tank and sealed up a dozen or more pinholes (didn't coat the tank)
* replaced a coil, got it back to life!

At this point, I did several 2 mile rides to the local hotdog trailer. LOUD and LIGHT and FUN!! Then on the way home one fine day, it died about 1/4 mile from the house. Pushed it home, and I was never able to regain spark.

At this moment, I'm thinking dead CDI (yeah, it's has a CDI).

So, that's where we are. I think it's time to pass this along to someone better equipped with time, tools, talent that can get her up, running and really enjoy this insanely low miles, 45 year old bike....
I think I might have said this before, but I remember something eons ago that the curcuit completes thru the tail light. Recheck that for the heck of it.

Hi Folks, I came across this thread in one of several Google searches while working on the Kawasaki F7 that Jeff kindly donated to a group we call the Fellowship of the Build (sorta like Lord of the Rings). We are friends and neighbors who for the past 10 years have been rebuilding motorcycles with interesting stories. This site is out of date but we're now working on the bike that started it all after 16 projects, a 1975 Honda CB400F https://fellowshipofthebuild.com

Anyway, this F7 has proven to an interesting challenge that has taxed our powers of problem solving as well as repeating some of Jeff's experiences. To solve the no spark problem it arrived with we (like Jeff) struggled with the flywheel resorting to Grade 8 bolts in a puller but not after ruining both coils with the puller bolts too far extended into the rotor. Then, with brand new coils we still got no spark. Then the bike sat so one of the more diligent on our crew had to sort out the rewiring. Then 3 primary spark coils later we narrow it down to the CDI and then we finally got fire in the hole. After a carb cleaning it is running on a 20:1 castor mix though leaning out at low RPM. Have new petcock rubber coming so we can wean it off the gas bong. Got the rust out of the tank and it should smoke up the neighborhood pretty good until it finds its next home. We don't collect bikes cuz we ain't got the room and it's not really about bikes. The F7 has certainly added war stories.

Anyway, I want to thank Jeff for his previous efforts and for the donation. Anything vintage two stroke these days is interesting if you lived back in the day. I still remember doing a tune up on a Kawasaki 750 H2 triple with Denco pipes and the famed triple sliding breaker points timing plate which is like balancing an elephant on a beach ball. Anyway, I had never ridden one so after the tune I took it for a spin and did what any self respecting rider would do... twist it wide open. For a bit there I thought, "What's the big deal..?" Then GAWD that thing took off and I became like Hunter S. Thompson in Song of a Sausage Creature. My expectations of the F7 are a bit more modest but some memories are best left as legend.

This is my first post here so I promise not be be as verbose generally. Just thought Jeff's efforts and the story of the 787 mile F7 deserved further honor....

Andy

Hey Andy - LOVE hearing that the bike is up and running! I'll need to stop by and hear it SING!

We don't collect bikes cuz we ain't got the room and it's not really about bikes

...and once it's all buttoned up, put it up for sale to fund y'alls next project!

But, don't say "it's not about bikes" :)

Hello Andy. Been years since I recall you running up and down the street on the Norton with no brakes. Hope all is well with you and the build gang. Ed

Neat seeing this thread. I owned a brand new '74 Kaw 175 and did my first Texas state circuit enduro on it...String Prairie back in the day. I worked part time at a local motorcycle shop as a mechanic. I obtained a KX250 front fork and installed a pair of those S&W rear shocks in a longer length and travel...anyone remember those?...LOL! Had to make my own chain sliders and guide.

My buddy and I were reading the Ed Hertfelder Duct Tapes and decided to go do a real enduro. Check this...he owned a Kawasaki F9 Bighorn...poor soul. Off we went to String Prairie, and at sign up a lady asked us..."short course or long?" Hmmm, we looked at each other, without a clue, and asked the lady if there was a price difference. She said "no". Well, why would one pay the same money to ride less mileage?...long course of course.

Well, amazingly we both finished without hour'ing out. It was brutal on those bikes, but I faired better than he did on that F9 beast. Shortly thereafter I bought a brand new '76 Husky 360 Automatic...we were also a Husky dealer. Things changed for the better obviously, but I loved that 175 and kept it for a street legal bike for awhile.

Hello Andy. Been years since I recall you running up and down the street on the Norton with no brakes. Hope all is well with you and the build gang. Ed
Hi Ed! Great to hear from you. Still going strong after 10 years and 16 projects. Yes, that was a special night. We got a bad set of caliper seals so we fired the Norton thinking we'd just set the timing, shut it down and toast it coming to life after 38 years. But who needs brakes when you've come this far? The guys got hold of the rear end like a drag chute. No problem... Take care..

Neat seeing this thread. I owned a brand new '74 Kaw 175 and did my first Texas state circuit enduro on it...String Prairie back in the day. I worked part time at a local motorcycle shop as a mechanic. I obtained a KX250 front fork and installed a pair of those S&W rear shocks in a longer length and travel...anyone remember those?...LOL! Had to make my own chain sliders and guide.

My buddy and I were reading the Ed Hertfelder Duct Tapes and decided to go do a real enduro. Check this...he owned a Kawasaki F9 Bighorn...poor soul. Off we went to String Prairie, and at sign up a lady asked us..."short course or long?" Hmmm, we looked at each other, without a clue, and asked the lady if there was a price difference. She said "no". Well, why would one pay the same money to ride less mileage?...long course of course.

Well, amazingly we both finished without hour'ing out. It was brutal on those bikes, but I faired better than he did on that F9 beast. Shortly thereafter I bought a brand new '76 Husky 360 Automatic...we were also a Husky dealer. Things changed for the better obviously, but I loved that 175 and kept it for a street legal bike for awhile.
That's a great war story... Talking about the longer course on the F9 we have a saying in the shop, "How hard can it be?" Well, it can be real hard but you might not have remembered as fondly if it was too easy.

Finally, got the petcock to stop leaking and it fires right up. Got to sort out a slipping clutch with only 787 miles and a lean condition at idle and we're done. Well, there's that leaking gear shift seal. Love the smell of two stroke ester oil burning in the morning. Smells like victory :-)

Back