• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike For Sale 1981 Honda CX500 (resto-mod)

Reaction score
I will start this with that I am not a motivated seller, I'm not desperate for the cash, I don't need to sell it...I just think I'm enjoying my Shadow mod more and am going to stick with that...plus I'm building another one. Because it invariably comes up I will go ahead and address TWO points right off the bat:

1. I will not take payments.

2. I will only accept partial trade for a standard poodle pup. Red or party, female, papered...ours is a year old and still a puppy and oh my god she needs a friend...

This is a 1981 Honda CX500. Originally a Custom. It was found in a field. Things were living in it. It was stripped down, the frame was modified, things were done, it's now exactly what it is...a short-wheelbase 50hp 340lb bike with great brakes and suspension. The entire front is '06 YZF-R6R, the forks were rebuilt at the time of the build, new bearings in the head. Rear shock is CBR954RR and it's sprung for a 170lb rider because I'm totally going to go on a diet and start exercising and lose 30lbs right after I finish this bag of cookies. Vortex clipons are aggressively low, but the top triple is bored for risers if you want to run bars instead. The cheap tachometer is almost entirely cosmetic and there just to have a high beam and neutral indicator for inspection...CX500's are notoriously incompatible with electronic tachs and I've contemplated numerous time ditching the thing for a for a straight GPS speedo. The speedometer portion is fairly accurate and reads off magnets affixed to the rear wheel. The exhaust is a full divorced dual...it needs a little touch here and there because my harbor freight welder fooled me with slag and I never went back at it. Firepower lithium battery...some people are nervous about lithium and I can swap this out for an AGM battery if it's a concern. It is running a full stock electronic rig, with the exception of a coil-on-plug retrofit using Mitsubishi sticks (again, R6 or R1 coils), lots of folks like to upgrade to Rae San ignition and newer stators, but this stuff has passed all the checks...I told myself when it breaks I'll upgrade it but two years later it still hasn't broke. I recently had the engine out and inspected the clutch, water pump, stator, output shaft, gearset, etc and everything was in good shape.

This bike starts right up and runs great even if it burbles a little when cold. There's still plenty to do to make it your own...wires can be tidied, the paint is certainly not for everyone and blemished in some places, etc, but it's ready to ride. I built it with the intention to ride it and I have so it doesn't look like a garaged project that was just wrapped up.

This has been an INCREDIBLY fun bike, it was a blast to build, it is a lot of fun to ride especially if you get to lay it over some, I cannot ride it into town without getting approached by someone wanting to talk about it.* It's an interesting and unique machine. The only thing I wish I had done differently, and would still do in a heartbeat if I could fine one reasonably priced, is a Deluxe tank.

It is Vermont registered.

$4000, located in Lubbock.

*women only approach me to ask if I know who Jackson Pollock was...

Attachments

• PXL_20220706_230250423.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220706_230250423.PORTRAIT.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 252
  • PXL_20220706_230310057.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220706_230310057.PORTRAIT.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 254
  • PXL_20220706_230325487.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220706_230325487.PORTRAIT.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 237
  • PXL_20220706_230235801.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220706_230235801.PORTRAIT.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Agreed, very cool bike. like the paint job, too. Not likely to see another one like it at the next 300 bike nights or pie runs.

Reminds me of my favorite builder, Jeff Wright/Church of Choppers. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks guys, I do feel this bike is one of a kind...not to say that "one of a kind" is the same as "best" but it's certainly been a lot of fun and it ALWAYS generates a lot of interest. Great bike if you want to show up to a coffee and cars event and have people look at you lol. I really REALLY wanted to have an opportunity to take it out on a track but they're all too damned far away from me. I ride it through the canyons here off the caprock every now and then and even if it's not supersport fast it's still a hoot.

I've never heard of Jeff Wright...seems like a bit of an eclectic fellow lol

I'm discounting gas money for anyone who wants to come from more than 100 miles away...assuming you get better than 12mpg lol

I will start this with that I am not a motivated seller, I'm not desperate for the cash, I don't need to sell it...I just think I'm enjoying my Shadow mod more and am going to stick with that...plus I'm building another one. Because it invariably comes up I will go ahead and address TWO points right off the bat:

1. I will not take payments.

2. I will only accept partial trade for a standard poodle pup. Red or party, female, papered...ours is a year old and still a puppy and oh my god she needs a friend...

This is a 1981 Honda CX500. ........

It is Vermont registered.

$4000, located in Lubbock.

*women only approach me to ask if I know who Jackson Pollock was...

Interesting and unique proposal and just out of curiosity.
You would like a puppy and then deduct the puppy's value to your asking price?
Is that how it would work?

For the right puppy yes...the missus wants a red or parti standard. I would deduct the value of the puppy from the asking price.

That said, i should add “maybe” to it because last weekend we got our daughter a puppy and i don”t know that my wife can actually handle two puppies in the house at once haha

So we had an incident this evening...this was our only vehicle and we're going to need to replace it. It's totaled, I just can't see them saying "yeah we can fix that".

So...I will trade toward a 2010+ Ford Expedition...if it's black or blue then all the better. We will put cash on our end. Ours was a fully optioned limited and I'm aiming for something comparable.

Or I will sell the bike for $3000. That's the bottom, and going that low is rather uncomfortable for me, but my situation has changed haha

Attachments

• PXL_20220824_015211235.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220824_015211235.NIGHT.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 81
hah no plus we take our puppies pretty seriously...we invest in them pretty heavily...our truck getting wrecked put a large dent in our savings and that makes new puppy expenses hard.

(but I find a free standard parti poodle I'll still grab her lol)

I’m glad you got her sold, very cool bike….
AND…..I want you to know that I read this:
ours is a year old and still a puppy and oh my god she needs a friend...
In STEVE CARELL’S voice! 😂😂

Back