• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Reaction score
Bought this from 10mm Nut back in September 2020. I've put about 3000 miles or so on it since then and it runs like a sewing machine! My only issue is oil consumption (1 qt./700 miles seems a little excessive to me) so I've ordered a new set of valve stem seals hoping that does the trick. Previous owner did a heck of a job resurrecting it and posted the build thread here: Link to my Goldwing project thread.

Job looks pretty straightforward but knowledgeable advice is always welcome!

Attachments

• Goldwing.jpg
    Goldwing.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 912
Valve stem seal replacement went mostly without a hitch, I managed to booger up a camshaft seal (was trying not to remove cams but there's nothing to hold left cam in place once you remove rocker arm assembly) so replaced that as well. Couldn't locate a new seal locally until I remembered reading somewhere that one could buy valve stem seals from the Honda car dealer since they were used in cars and even Honda outboards. Looked up the cam seal part number on the Honda motorcycle parts site and cross referenced it on the automotive website and sure enough the same cam seal is used in both Honda and Acura cars. Called local dealer and they were able to get them in the next day.

Original valve stem seals showed no obvious damage, inside diameter was slightly larger than the replacement seals (no surprise) and they seemed a little brittle but were intact. Not sure if new seals will make any difference but at least that variable has been eliminated!

I'm thinking that maybe some oil rings got stuck while the bike was hibernating, so I ran a can of OMC Engine Tuner (it was a miracle cure for two stroke engines during my former life as an Evinrude mechanic, made specifically to remove carbon deposits from the combustion chamber but would also dissolve varnish in the fuel system) through the intake while the bike was running and let it sit overnight hoping that might loosen some things up. Pulled the spark plugs and cranked it over to remove any liquid from the cylinders, then put them back in and fired it up. Plenty of smoke for the first few minutes but that always clears up. I put about 75 miles on it since then, now it's time for an oil change.

I want to emphasize that the bike runs great, and has since I picked it up and drove it home in September. I've put about 4000 miles on it since I bought it without even a hiccup. If it continues to use oil I'll just keep my eye on it and keep riding!

Valve stem seal issues are most evident at start up. Normally smokes at start up and clears up. Putting a bore scope in the spark plug can shed some light.

On the wing the smoke will more pronounced on the left side.

Man, I had no idea it was that kind of an oil burner. I did multiple oil changes on the thing to try and flush any old sediment out of the engine since it had sat so long. I guess I never rode it long enough between changes to notice any measurable consumption.

Finally got tired of the self changing oil issue and traced the leak to the left side camshaft seal. Only leaked while riding, never while idling or sitting. Dripped out of timing belt cover weep hole and blew onto head cover (valve cover) mimicking (very successfully) a leaky head cover gasket. Had already replaced that seal when I did the valve stem seals, must've boogered it up on the install, evidently the same thing happened before I bought it.

Only put about 100 miles on it since, but no oil dripping from weep hole so far! Still runs great 🙂

Back