• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1984 Compaq Luggable--Exploratory E-mail

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I was digging in my parents garage earlier this week and found my original computer---a Compaq luggable. I bought it at DH Holmes in Baton Rouge in June 1084 when I took my first teaching job at LSU. I lugged that thing back and forth from my apartment to campus many days on the shuttle bus. It is the version with 2 disk drives--5 1/4 inch. I do not have a DOS disk so I can't boot it.

I am just seeing if anyone might be interested in procuring it. I don't have any idea if it really has any monetary value.

Jay says I have to get it out of the house because of the upcoming renovations. And honestly I'm not enough of a tech geek to want it around.

If you're interested let me know. I'll take this post down in a few days if I don't get any feedback. Don't want to clutter up the sale forum.

Darrell, depending upon the model, the Ebay values range from $150 to $2000 so you may want to consider that if no one speaks up here.

Yes sir. I didn't want to deal with eBay so i figured I'd start with the eclectic TWT crowd. If no one shows interest here I'll figure out what to do with it.

Facebook Marketplace? Surely some former Compaq person that's local to you may want it for nostalgia's sake. Again, check your model number against those on Ebay to see if you have a run of the mill unit or something a little more special. Any idea of what you paid for it back then?

COOL - does it have the 10MB RLL drive?????

At work in the late 80's we used one as a DAQ machine to monitor high pressure experiments. Gotta love the green screen, 360K floppy disk, and format /S to make a DOS system disk

No I don't want it. Ebay may help it find a good home

Any idea of what you paid for it back then?
Regardless of time period 80's til now - all top end PCs run $2-3K

If i could find my Commander Keen 3.5' floppy i would be interest. I need to show my kids what real video games are.

Cool stuff, I want it, but my wife says no.

No need to take down a thread. It just sinks to the bottom, no clutter. Never understood why folks feel the need to do that stuff.

I don't do Facebook so I can't do Facebook Marketplace. I won't go into my intense disdain for Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. Yes I am a grumpy old man. :rofl:

Computer was $2995.95 plus tax (whatever Louisiana sales tax was then). It was my first ever credit purchase. I bought it using 6 month no interest financing.

No hard drive. Only 2 floppy drives.

I have not and will not fire it up. My brother has done a lot of investigating and everyone says not to fire it up unless it is checked out. Evidently the power supply may have issues after all of these years.

I'm happy to pop the top on it if anyone wants any photos.

Roger that you're not intending to light 'er off but I think I have a couple of DOS floppies around and would be happy to mail 'em to you if you want 'em.

Roger that you're not intending to light 'er off but I think I have a couple of DOS floppies around and would be happy to mail 'em to you if you want 'em.
Sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer.

You can hear it now, "What's DOS?". :lol2:

What's a command line? Where are the windows? :lol2:

Words with lost/different meanings
bat file
.com
Peek Poke
6 Pack+
Turbo
Coproccesor
Green screen
Parallel port

OP getting a lot of free bumps:lol2:

Man, that conjures up some horrible memories, Like the Apple IIe that had it's own little suitcase. I lugged that euphemistically termed "portable" Compaq through lots of airports.

Man, that conjures up some horrible memories, Like the Apple IIe that had it's own little suitcase. I lugged that euphemistically termed "portable" Compaq through lots of airports.
Make me an offer and you can enjoy the experience once again! :lol2: :rofl::rofl::lol2::trust::deal:

That used to be called a dot matrix printer
This was my workhorse for YEARS. These were the printers we used in the stores when Circuit City first moved to a computerized P.O.S., and I figured if it was good enough for work it should be good enough for my home. I was right. That thing could churn through reams of paper. Later on in life I'd have to open the plastic cover and point a CPU fan at the print head when doing big jobs to keep it from overheating, but it never gave up the ghost.

s-l1600.jpg

I wrote code to print barcodes on a dot matrix. Those were the good ol' days. :lol2:

Shoot, I just liked the paper all connected and would steal it from my dad's printer and make stuff for my GI Joe's

This was my workhorse for YEARS. These were the printers we used in the stores when Circuit City first moved to a computerized P.O.S., and I figured if it was good enough for work it should be good enough for my home. I was right. That thing could churn through reams of paper. Later on in life I'd have to open the plastic cover and point a CPU fan at the print head when doing big jobs to keep it from overheating, but it never gave up the ghost.

View attachment 287529
I could swear my dad had that exact same printer.

Back