• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1996 VFR 800=need Help!

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Holowiski
I have been storing a 1998 VFR 800 for the last 1 1/2 years. I was being ridden for about 30min about 1 time per month but has not moved for the last three months. Last week I tried to start it. when I hit the starter it jumped forward like it was in gear:eek2:. I had the clutch pulled in at the time. Clutch felt normal when I pulled it in. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Hold the clutch in while its warming up. Helps get oil into the clutch plates. My Ninja250 has the same problem.

Make sure its in neutral first.
Stick it up on the center stand (don't remember if the '96s had one)
Then try to start it.

My '02 VFR800 will spin the rear tire ever so slightly on the center stand if it hasn't been started in a little while.

Put it in gear, off center stand, engine off,
rock bike back and forth, see if stuck clutch
plates unstick.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to work on it this weekend.

Your clutch basket probably has some dings in it, causing friction plates and steel plates to get intimate in certain situations (keeping the plates from free-floating when you engage the clutch).

clutch plates will stick from time to time when a bike is sitting. put it on the ground, hold the clutch, stick it in gear and rock it HARD forward and back. it should break loose again

Back