• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1st Trip to Talimena

Reaction score
Me and two good friends decided to head up to ride the Talimena Scenic Byway and had the route all picked out.

map.jpg

Well Mother Nature didn't cooperate last Sunday as the monsoon level winds caused us to postpone the trip. Well we crossed our fingers for this past Saturday and what do you know, things worked out. :sun:

So we met up early Saturday morning (6am) and started the way every good ride should...breakfast tacos. :eat: We met up at the Rudy's in Frisco and filled up our stomaches and our gas tanks.

rudys.jpg

beginning.jpg

Well we hit the road and headed north to OK and then east to Mena, AR. When we got to Mena it was very evident that there was a lot of damage there. I feel like such a dummy as I didn't even know that they had been hit by a tornado a week earlier. :eek2: There were piles of destroyed mobile homes, giant trees that had been completely uprooted, and buildings downtown that had large pieces ripped off of them. I didn't take any pictures of this but it was very eerie seeing the destruction that Mother Nature can bring.

Well to prepare for the trip across the Talimena, we decided to grab a bit to eat in Mena. We saw a Mexican restaurant that seemed pretty busy so we felt that was a good sign. Well it certainly was as the food was awesome! :eat: The place was called Papa Poblano's and I highly recommend it to anyone that is passing this way.

lunch2.jpg

(sorry I couldn't wait to start eating before taking a picture)
food.jpg

Well with full stomachs, it was time to tackle the Talimena. Starting from Mena side, the allure of this route hits you right away. Man is the scenery breathtaking and the road even better.

tali3.jpg

tali2.jpg

tali11.jpg

tali4.jpg

tali1.jpg

tali10.jpg

Fire Tower I believe
tali6.jpg

Me and my machine
tower2.jpg

More fun waiting for us at the bottom of the mountain!
tali7.jpg

tali9.jpg

tali5.jpg

tali8.jpg

Man, what a road!!! :rider: I defintely see a return trip in my future as the pictures cannot do justice to the day we had. Well we started the long ride back to DFW and were in a race to beat the impending weather moving into Dallas. Mother Nature cooperated for the most part. :sun: Well we just made it back as I started to get rained on a little the last 20 minutes until I got home.

This is my first long ride and thus my first trip report. It was an awesome experience of good friends, good food, good weather, beautiful scenery, and of course...the bikes. :rider: In total, I rode 551 miles and I have to say my new Mustang Seat made every mile enjoyable. I cannot wait to take the next big ride and will use several shorter ones to practice. :trust:

- Bill

Great report Bill. Thanks for sharing. I think we're going to start seeing Mexican food in more and more places....just hope folks don't localize it too much.

You started your trip taking at a very great area of our country. Hwy 88/1 was the first hiway built for scenic purposes from what I've gathered. Also the highest part of the Ozarks. I just love that area.
Thanks for sharing and don't stop. Make a 3 day trip and on further into Arkansas. ;-)

Most excellent report! I agree - the Talimena Scenic Drive is a top-notch road.

achesley - +1,000 on taking time to explore Arkansas. I'm going back for Part Deaux next month. :rider: Also, I'll be passing by your town (a bit north, on Hwy 12) this Friday as I head to Port Barre' for a BMW airhead tech day.

Thanks everyone! I do plan on revisiting that road one day and really want to venture further north into Arkansas as the scenery and roads up there look amazing.

- Bill

awesome!! Nice pictures and report! The Talimena Parkway is our most favorite weekend get away> I agree with the others though...check out more of Arkansas....you most definitely won't be disappointed!!

FYI, regarding street bike fun in Arkansas: I researched many forums before settling on my agenda for my trip next month. Having been on some of the really good roads in 2007 (trip report here), these are the routes for this year's visit:

Hot Springs to Eureka Springs

Eureka Springs loop

Eureka Springs to Buffalo River State Park

Buffalo River loop

You really need to check out 123 down around Mount Judea!

Buffalo River to Petit Jean State Park

Petit Jean to Hot Springs

You really need to check out 123 down around Mt. Judea!

NP, I had already read his, and recognized the bikes and the maps, and figured maybe other folks would like more info and to enjoy your trip vicariously through more photos.

Great ride & report! For future trips there is great camping at lake Sardis and a state park in nearby Heavner, OK. In the state park there a 1000-ish year old (says the park service) Viking rune stone you can walk to. If you are dual sporting, GS, Strom, etc there are 100's of fire roads in the area providing some fun riding and great views. My profile picture was taken on one of the fire roads a few years back. I had to pass on a trip up this weekend :( A riding friends father lives about a mile off of the scenic road so we usually have great accommodations.

Hey, I wasn't trying to point out anything as being wrong or bad, just trying to link up the two for those of us stuck at work and wishing we'd been on that trip and wanting to read and see more.

btw, your paint job and the map were the dead giveaways that this was the same trip. :mrgreen:

Hey, I wasn't trying to point out anything as being wrong or bad, just trying to link up the two for those of us stuck at work and wishing we'd been on that trip and wanting to read and see more.

btw, your paint job and the map were the dead giveaways that this was the same trip. :mrgreen:

It's all good - thank you!! We had a lot of fun riding up there!! :rider:

Back