• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1TB SD Card coming to market.

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
LINK to 1TB SD Card Press Release

My D810 is already salivating for this thing. Who am I kidding, its going to be expensive as all get out for sure. It also would be a quick way to add 1TB of storage to your Mac or PC, well those that have the SD slots in them.

Last edited:
Unless you are shooting high resolution video, you'd have to shoot a LOT of images in RAW to fill up a card that big!!

The nice thing would be using them as removable storage. No more USB drives and stuff. Just pop one of these in, do a big file transfer, and then put it in a safe place.

It really is amazing how fast, compact, and cheap storage has become! I still have a full size 500MB hard drive sitting around. I showed it to my daughter and compared it to a new 1TB SSD I just bought. The SSD is the typical drive, slightly bigger than a credit card. That is the equivalent storage space of 2000 of those old 500MB drives. The speed difference is astounding!! But think of the physical space and power required as well as the heat that would be generated running 2000 of those old drives!! Worst of all, those 500MB drives were around $400 a piece when I bought it... That would be $800,000.00 to get 1 TB of storage back then :eek2: I paid $128.00 for the 1 TB SSD!

Just amazing... :zen:

Of course, when I was first exposed to computers most everything was reel to reel tape drives, although my dad's UNIVAC did have a pair of memory drives which were a little smaller than 55 gallon drums that rotated in a horizontal plane.

10-mg-hard-drive-advertisement-57c76c603df78c71b65b8eff.jpg

Yeah, I was on the tail end of the tap drives & punch cards, and those modems where you put the phone in the cradle. When I got to college and bought my first PC, I thought I was on top of the world with a 30MB hard drive and 1MB of RAM. Those were considered BIG upgrades and cost about 40% of the $2000 price of the PC. It really is amazing how much computers have improved over the last 50 years. Imagine if cars had seen similar cost reductions and quality improvements!

1 TB on an SD card. The combined main memory of all the IBM 360s and 370s ever built didn't even approach 100GB. Up until the mid 80s, a TB of disk storage would have covered something approaching a football field.

I use pairs of 64GB cards in both my cameras (mirror, write to both). I seldom fill them, but carry some 32GB pairs. I figure that I'm spreading risk out by using multiple sets of cards. I keep telling myself that getting a larger card means that there is more data to lose. So I still haven't pulled the trigger on 256GB cards. The 1TB SDcard is going to start at over $400 and to get a matching CF card, if they are even made, would be outrageous.

I use pairs of 64GB cards in both my cameras (mirror, write to both). I seldom fill them, but carry some 32GB pairs. I figure that I'm spreading risk out by using multiple sets of cards. I keep telling myself that getting a larger card means that there is more data to lose. So I still haven't pulled the trigger on 256GB cards. The 1TB SDcard is going to start at over $400 and to get a matching CF card, if they are even made, would be outrageous.

I do the same thing, two 64GB cards in mirror mode. I will often leave the images on the cards even after I have transferred them to my computer and network storage drive. That way I have four copies. Occasionally, I will reformat the cards if I know I am going to be doing a lot of shooting just so I don't have to wait on the Lightroom import to scan them all and decide which ones to ignore for the import.

The big thing about the 1 TB cards is for people that might be traveling around the world. Think about it. No more portable drives for backing up your stuff. Just carry a few SD cards and make duplicate backups for redundancy. Maybe get some smaller ones that you could mail to someone every few weeks but still keep the originals on the 1 TB so you have at least two copies.

I do the same thing, two 64GB cards in mirror mode. I will often leave the images on the cards even after I have transferred them to my computer and network storage drive. That way I have four copies. Occasionally, I will reformat the cards if I know I am going to be doing a lot of shooting just so I don't have to wait on the Lightroom import to scan them all and decide which ones to ignore for the import.

The big thing about the 1 TB cards is for people that might be traveling around the world. Think about it. No more portable drives for backing up your stuff. Just carry a few SD cards and make duplicate backups for redundancy. Maybe get some smaller ones that you could mail to someone every few weeks but still keep the originals on the 1 TB so you have at least two copies.

When I went to Japan a couple of years ago with my then new D810 I filled up my 64gb card embarrassingly quick shooting raw while at the Snow Monkey park. The trek from Karizawa to the park was a few hours by train and bus, and I of course was in full on tourist mode snapping a pick after every Oooooo or Aaaahhhhhhh. Less than 30 min after hiking to the hot springs where the monkeys were I had to switch to .jpeg mode as i was running out of space.

At the time my primary card was a 64gb SD and the second slot was a 32gb CF that set to jpeg copy. I still had fun, but the difference of viewing a raw file vs jpeg file was significant. (I now travel with a 128gb).

This is why filled up a 64gb card in one outing... Sooo many opportunities. So Many...
DSC_1531-Edit-XL.jpg

Trigger Happy Duke...

Maybe we need to update your username? :nana:

But, yeah. I can see shooting a LOT of pics when you actually have fun subjects! That is a really cool shot by the way :thumb:

Wow! I remember my first computer with 1 meg ram, 40 meg hard drive and DOS system. Want to go to 2 megs ram and it cost 100 bucks for that extra meg. I just bought 2 32meg jump drive USB mini sticks for my car and truck radios. No way I'll ever fill them with my music.

Mini USB stick.jpg

There have only been a couple of times I've filled the 64gb cards and that was during the TeamRWB tri-camp, I did it each day, but managed to finish the day with one backup set of 32GB with another set in reserve. And last year at Bosque del Apache shooting birds. In both cases I was shooting the 7d2 at 10fps at moving objects a lot. Every time I do a long burst like that, I think of how many more minutes those seconds on the shutter button will cost me in post processing :-)

Back