• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 weeks, 1 spouse and an FJR

U guys really picked some of the best of the PNW to go to. Thanks for sharing. Remember, all great roads need to be run in both directions. ;-). IE Cascade Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, Glacier. I too was blown away by the destruction evidence at Mt. St. Hellens.

We were there this spring and came to the fork in the road... We took Beartooth and absolutely loved it. But we're planning a return in a couple of years and we'll do Chief Joseph next time.
Great trip.

Day 9

We know that you could spend several days in Yellowstone and not see it all. We had only about a half a day. What can I say, miles to travel.

Reentering the Yellowstone from Gardiner.

HPIM2404a.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs.

HPIM2401.jpg

The Ranger told us that the Elk like it here at the Mammoth junction. He said that it's there breeding ground and the wolves don't come down and bother them here.

HPIM2402a.jpg

Today’s plan was to travel down the west side of the upper loop. Beautiful scenery here for sure. Where the loops connect we turned left and headed east to the Canyon junction. At Canyon we turned south. We were now at one of the attractions we wouldn’t miss. The Upper and Lower Falls of Yellowstone.

IMG_1592.jpg

The Upper Falls from a distance.

IMG_1593.jpg

Zoomed in.

IMG_1594.jpg

The Lower Falls.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

Mandatory proof.

IMG_1597.jpg

Does Glacier know they have these?

IMG_1596.jpg

Water getting ready to go over the Upper Falls.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

And over.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

Remember where those buffalo like to cross the road? What do we have here?

IMG_1615.jpg

I'm told that bear sitings are kind of rare in the park. I guess we got lucky!

IMG_1613.jpg

And with a some zoom.

IMG_1614.jpg

We followed the lower loop clockwise, passing the south exit of the park until we were about at 8 O’clock. Old Faithful here we are!

IMG_1616.jpg

What we didn’t know was that there were several other geysers in the same area. Old Faithful we learned was now on about an hour and forty minute schedule. Of course we had just missed Old Faithful’s last performance by a few minutes.

After watching one of the other geysers in the area blow off some steam we decided to leave. Miles to go.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

And with that we rolled out of the south exit of the park hoping to come back when we had a little more time.

Exit the park and you’re now in the Bridger – Teton National Forest on Hwy 89. 6 miles of dirt roads and dusty traffic delays later we were once again happy campers.

It was getting warmer and it was time to stop and take off the liners for the day. Jackson Lake in the background.

IMG_1630.jpg

Mr. FJR is starting to get a dirty.

IMG_1632.jpg

Although the light was not in the best spot for taking pictures of the Tetons, I still tried a few.

Jackson Lake near the Jackson Dam.

IMG_1633.jpg

Jackson Dam

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

A view from the Teton National Park.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

It was about 5:00 pm when we made it to Jackson Hole. Great place to get a room. We found this on Main Street about a block and half from the city square.

IMG_1643.jpg

I had been to Jackson Hole once years ago for skiing. I rememberd it as a neat town. I was happy to see it still was and it was one of favorite places to stay on the trip.

HPIM2408a.jpg

I would have thought Kathleen already had enough of my bull.

HPIM2411.jpg

We had a couple of beers and a nice dinner here.

HPIM2416a.jpg

Honest, I ate too! Very pleasant here as the sun was setting.

HPIM2421.jpg

They shut down before we finished our dinner and drinks. Looked like a fun way around town.

HPIM2410a.jpg

Kathleen says I'm a bear in the morning?

HPIM2422.jpg

That was about it for the day. What a wonderful time we had. Only 167 miles but the miles don't tell the story.

I'm about to start three 12 hours days and may not get back here till Monday to finish. Hope you enjoy!

Excellent!!!! :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to put the report together. :thumb:

Steve,

Looks like a wonderful trip and the pictures were great. Enjoyed talking to you today.

Bruce

Great report and pictures. Bringing back many memories for me. Thanks for the work of sharing your journey with us.

Day 10

Coming into Jackson Hole the night before we saw a very interesting building. It looked like a stone single level castle sort of with one turret.

IMG_1656.jpg

It turned out to be the National Museum of Wildlife Art.

We’re not refined art connoisseurs by any means but like every other place we’ve been, we don’t know if we’ll ever get back again so we better see it now.

The day’s goal then was to take our time getting up but be at the museum when they opened at 9:00 am. We’d stay an hour or so and then head to somewhere in Utah for the night.

As a so-so art person I would recommend the museum to anyone near the north side of Jackson Hole, artist or not. Besides a large inventory of paintings they also have a large number of Bronze sculptures, some of which greet you on your way into the facility. We found a new favorite painter there (don’t know that we had one before), Carl Rungius.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

This was one big cat overlooking the lobby one floor below.

IMG_1652.jpg

Sorry but no one is allowed to take pictures inside the gallery.

Leaving the museum about 10:30 am. we took 89 south into Idaho. On the way to Alpine Wyoming we followed along side the Snake River.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

At Alpine we came across another dam / reservoir where we left the Targhee National Forest.

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

Things you just don’t see everyday. Afton Wyoming.

IMG_1668.jpg

A Two Wheeled Texan perhaps? Looks like one of us.

IMG_1670.jpg

Leaving Wyoming for a sliver of Idaho on the way to Utah.

IMG_1671.jpg

This isn’t the most direct way anywhere I suppose. I’d done a lot of research and tried to hit the best roads along the way (or out of the way). During the research I highlighted a lot of maps with my learned best roads. For this trip I just tried to connect as many of those highlighted roads as I could covering the general areas we wanted to hit. Overall I think we were pretty successful!

89 took us past Bear Lake and onto 30. Bear lake is about 50 / 50 in both Idaho and Utah.

IMG_1679.jpg

We took 30 until we turned south on 16. This was a very remote and isolated road. Thank goodness no breakdowns.

From 16 we turned southwest on 39. This was one of my highlighted roads and it didn't disappoint. Lots of semi-tight and flowing turns through these canyons. At Huntsville we took 167 south. A quick side trip and a look at Snowbasin Ski Resort (Olympic fame) before hitting I-84 by Green Mountain (think not to far from Ogden).

Snowbasin in the summer.

IMG_1692.jpg

We traveled east a short distance on I-84 and got off at Morgan. South out of Morgan on 66, we turned right on 65. 66 / 65 were two more of the highlighted roads that simply did not disappoint, taking us past two dam / reservoirs and up and over one mountain pass. Sorry no pictures, the road was two much fun.

65 took us to I-80 coming out of Salt Lake City. We again headed east up I-80 with a short detour into Park City. After Park City we took 248 to Kamas. It was getting later and we (I) hoped to find a room there. Well Kamas didn’t have a motel and we were (I was) wrong. We ended backtracking up 32 to I-80 where we found a real nice Best Western in Coalville at a very low rate. This was the only time on our trip that we did not find a room when we wanted to and had to put in some extra miles.

Day's mileage, 378.

Tomorrow's goal - probably Moab.

No it doesn't Wally. We'll be home in a few days and then the fun is over. For this year anyway.

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Day 11

When we left Coalville the temp gauge read 61 degrees. What a beautiful temperature to start a day's ride in late August (and typical on this trip).

We backtracked down I-80 and 32 to Kamas. A few miles south of Kamas is the thriving metropolis of Samak. At Samak we to took 35 southeast. This was another highlighted roadway that lived up to its billing. As we crossed over the Wolf Summit 9450’ things kind of opened up. Wow! (typical of most places we went) The road looked like a racetrack. I hope this picture gives you some feel for it but its obviously a lot more fun in person.

You may have to look closely to see the road.

IMG_1702.jpg

Eventually all good things must come to an end. We came up rise and suddenly found ourselves in the high desert, just before the road T’ed into 87.

It was warming up so we took a break and shed our liners under our gear before turning onto 87 south.

It’s real treat having a bike with a fairing and windshield to take all those bugs you find along the way.

IMG_1707.jpg

As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now for the rest of the story." This picture is for the naked bike riders. I tend to ride with the windshield in its lowest setting (taking the wind off my chest only).

IMG_1706.jpg

I had already gone through a 7 oz. can of Plexus by this time. I loves my Plexus! I had a brainstorm while on this trip. Maybe I could mix up a 50 /50 batch of Plexus and OFF bug spray. You know, try to repel the little fellers before they even hit the faceshield. Just a thought.

87 a short distance south and into Duchesne (pronounced I’m told as Do-shane) where we topped off the gas.

On this trip I filled up a lot more than I needed to. I would have liked to go farther on a tank of gas but I wasn’t always to sure where I might find the next (OPEN) station.

We went southwest out of Duchesne on 191. 191 was an interesting road for me. We first traveled through Indian Canyon. This canyon had a desert look to it. I remember thinking that since we’re headed to southeastern Utah its only natural that it’s drying out. Like so many other times on this trip, this was another incorrect observation on the author’s part.

Before you know it, we’re traveling through the wooded Ashley National Forest.

Indian Canyon was interesting in another way too. While traveling through it (approaching Ashley) the canyon wall on our right was semi barren while the left side was getting forest like. That was weird for me. I expect one side of a mountain to be lush and the other side dry but I didn’t expect that sort of a thing in the same canyon.

When we came to the end of 191 at 6 we came across this electrical plant (I think). Wasn’t expecting that for some reason.

IMG_1709.jpg

At this point, if we were just trying to reach Moab we would have gone south on 6 about 12 miles to Price, taking 6 / 191 south. But I had that darn highlighted map calling the shots. So instead we went north on 6 approximately 20 miles where we turned left on 96.

Some pictures of the rugged beauty around 191 / 6.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

And a two holer that's not an outhouse.

IMG_1715.jpg

96 was nothing special and looked more promising on the map. Once on 264, things got better. A nice tight road taking us past a coal plant, then up and over a pass. Other than a few cattle on the road here, (open ranges occasionally) things were looking up. Over the pass the valley opened up but the roads stayed twisty.

Looking back (maybe a little hard to see) the road we had just came down on.

IMG_1718.jpg

The view looking forward. And seeing the bike should be presumptive proof that we were there too!

IMG_1717.jpg

Ok, for you flat-earthers.

IMG_1719.jpg

264 brought us to 31 (Skyline Drive) and one of my new favorite roads. At this point we were about as high (about 10,000') as got in the area. We hadn’t gone very far when the view from both sides of the road opened up. You here it all the time BUT these pictures don’t do it justice.

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

31 was so much fun! I guess if 31 had been really hyped, I may not have been quite as impressed. But going from a squiggly line on a map to reality often times is a real eye opener. 31 starts up high and works down a mountain for miles. We passed a couple of dam / lakes along the way as we hit sweeper after sweeper for about 40 minutes. Halfway down we paralleled a large stream or small river as we passed through the La Sal National Forest. This was the last time we saw forest until we got to Colorado.

At the bottom of 31 near Huntington the terrain changed again.

IMG_1731.jpg

About 2:00 pm. we were in Huntington, so we stopped for lunch and this silly picture.

IMG_1733.jpg

We took 10 north until we got to Price. At Price we took 6 /191 to I-70. Along the way we were delayed by construction and the heat rose to about 98. Yeah I know, it’s a dry heat………… Just like my oven! Didn’t take any pictures, just tried to keep moving.

It was getting later in the afternoon when me made it to I-70. Once moving eastbound on the interstate we were making good time but the crosswinds bounced us around quite a bit.

We exited I-70 at 191 and took that straight into Moab. I knew that my map said we’d hit 128 only 22 miles (east on I-70) past 191. My research said that 128 was an excellent motorcycle road that also ended up in Moab. As bad as I wanted to ride 128, it was getting late and we just wanted to get out of the heat. For once the map lost. Maybe tomorrow.

We didn’t know what to expect in Moab after our difficulty finding a room the night before. No worries though when we got into town. The town is pretty good size for being in the middle of nowhere and has plenty of lodging and restaurants. You might even be able to find a store or twenty that could sell you a souvenir, rent a bike, 4-wheeler or jeep.

One picture from the patio where we had dinner. The poor woman looks heart broken spending my money doesn't she?

HPIM2426.jpg

Tomorrow’s goals: Arches National Park, 128 and ending up somewhere near the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.

Day’s mileage, 379.

Day 12

Another goal of this trip was to see some of southern Utah. You know, the terrain that looks like it’s in a Roadrunner cartoon. Unfortunately, during trip planning, you find more places you can’t get to the ones you can. Maybe we’ll make Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef etc. on the next trip. But on this trip we’re going to Arches National Park at least.

We got going about 8:15 am. The temp was still in the middle 60’s and I liked that.

Arches is just a couple of miles from the north end of Moab. We had passed the entrance the night before on our way into town.

Just outside the park on the west side is a large fault line causing this wall of red rock in front of us.

IMG_1737.jpg

The sun was definitely still rising as we got to the first scenic view point.

IMG_1741.jpg

I failed to mention that once inside the park there is just one main road with a few different branches off of it. Basically, a long dead end.

I know the lights not right but I’m having some fun taking pictures while riding. In the background are the Petrified Sand Dunes.

IMG_1743.jpg

As we rode through.

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

According to park literature, the park contains approximately 2000 arches.

Nearing the furthest most point of the park road we came upon Skyline Arch.

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

This would turnout to be one of my favorite arches, largely due to being so close to the road. :-)

IMG_1758.jpg

A little closer from near the base.

IMG_1760.jpg

The next stop was at the Devil’s Garden. This was as far as you could go on the main park road.

IMG_1767.jpg

The path if you wanted to see some more arches.

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

This got me to Landscape Arch. This arch is just one of a few, mentioned in the park brochure. 306’ across, it’s HUGE!

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

There were a few more arches ahead that I hadn’t heard of. It had taken us about 10 minutes to walk to Landscape Arch and the path’s sand was getting deeper. I love my SIDI’s but they will never be confused for hiking or running shoes that’s for sure. So we turned around and headed back for the bike. We have lots more to see today. Did I mention it’s already starting to get warm?

Not far for Devil’s Garden was the road leading to Delicate Arch. Our next stop was in search of the famous Delicate Arch.

The sign told us that the Delicate Arch trail is one and half miles long, much of which is uphill going there. Ok, put our tennis shoes on and left the boots sitting next to the bike. Did I mention it's getting warmer. Oh yeah, I did.

IMG_1791.jpg

After many minutes of hiking uphill we came to this section. Kathleen said that's it, she'd had enough.

IMG_1799.jpg

Somewhere in here my new hiking partner (nice fellow going the same way) and I got off the main trail a little bit.

IMG_1800.jpg

I don't know what I was thinking, you can plainly see the trail in the picture right?

Delicate Arch sits in this large bowel (way up) and we ended up on a tall rock out cropping on on edge of the bowel. Most of the other folks seemed to have better luck than we did and they ended up IN the bowel. Still the view from up there was fantastic and well worth the hike to anyone considering it.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

And the closest look.

IMG_1810.jpg

The view walking back to the parking lot.

IMG_1812.jpg

Next up after exchanging boots for tennis shoes at the bike was the Windows area and Balanced Rock.

Windows area.

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

Balanced Rock.

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

By this point its about 1:00 pm. and we were hungry and hot (97 degrees).

We returned to Moab and had lunch. During lunch we met a nice couple who we saw arrive on a shiny red Gold Wing. We got to talking with them and they told us they only lived a few hours away. The really cool thing was that their adult kids had gotten to together 4 months earlier and purchased that bike for them to replace his 1986 Gold Wing. Show of hands, who has kids like that? Me neither.

Because of the heat we decided to forget about hitting 128 (go up and come back the same way) and just getting to Colorado as quick as we could. Should be cooler there! To use a fishing term concerning sought after roads, 128 was the one that got away.

We continued south on 191 to La Sal Junction. From there we took 46 east and soon found higher elevations and forests. Temps dropped as low as 75 degrees. What a relief!

Utah gave us a little bit of fun before depositing us in Colorado on 90.

Going down please.

IMG_1844.jpg

No guardrail to hurt us with plenty of run off.

IMG_1845.jpg

Our first look at Colorado. I think it might change.

IMG_1848.jpg

90 took us to 145 near Vancorum. 145 turned out to be a fun road as we neared Placerville.

At Placerville we took 62 north. That would get us over to Ridgeway and a few miles above Ouray on 550 (Million Dollar Highway). 62 was another twisty road that provided a lot of fun as the scenery changed.

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

A picture between Placerville and Ouray.

IMG_1856.jpg

It was somewhere around 4:00 pm when we got to Ouray. It didn’t look like much at first. A few buildings along with some motels and an R.V. Park was all we saw. I was feeling good and considered going on into Durango 90 miles away but eventually thought better of it. We got a nice room at the newest motel, I think it was the Hot Springs Inn.

I can see why this place is called the Switzerland of the West. There wasn’t a lot of extra room with the mountains shooting straight up on either side of the road.

I asked the lady at the motel where I might get a 6-pack. She pointed in the direction we’d leave in the morning and said just a few blocks that way, in town. When we first passed her hotel the road turned to the left and looked it like civilization had ended. So I turned around before I saw the town. I’d heard Ouray was a small town and landlocked all around. Shoot, I figured I’d seen it all when I’d passed the motel (what a maroon).

A nice 2nd floor room with a balcony right over the river.

IMG_1857.jpg

Our walk into town for dinner. 2/3's of town.

IMG_1862.jpg

We had a nice dinner at O'Brians Pub. The Irish Stew was terrific!

On the way back we passed a kid who seemed unashamed to be mooning his friends who were in the park right next to the main road. The kid then suddenly became shy when saw our camera, go figure. And he started giving us some lip even though we wern't having wardrobe problems. I don't know who, but somebody mentioned that his mother must be on crack to raise such a boy. The kid said she didn't use the stuff. At some point he wrongly assumed we were def and finished the conversation in sign language.

IMG_1863.jpg

Then something really neat happened. A guy came to pick up his daughter at the park. The girl looked like she could play Annie in the musical. But that wasn't the neat part. It was his cool machine!!!

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

Sign outside the motel.

IMG_1868.jpg

A beer and a soak in the hot tub at the motel and a another great day came to an end.

Tomorrow's goal, somewhere in New Mexico ready to make DFW the next day. It's winding down but we still have some great roads ahead.

Day's mileage a fun filled 211.

Day 13

We met a couple at the motel that were traveling by motorcycle too. They were going north and us south. The interesting thing was that they lived about 35 miles away from us in Ft. Worth. Small world I guess. They travel a little more often then we do and apparently his wife packs a little more than Kathleen does. So to keep her happy, he had this cool single wheel trailer.

IMG_1873.jpg

Talking with the man he said that if we could make it to Clayton N.M., the next day would be a relatively easy ride back to DFW. Sounded good to me.

The last choice to make was whether to ride through southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. Kathleen had spent a lot of time in Colorado in years past so we needed to see more of New Mexico. Easy choice then.

The goal was to ride the Million Dollar Highway to Durango, go east on 160 to Pagosa Springs, south on 84 to 64. 64 snaked back and forth while passing through Taos on its way to I-25 just south of Raton. We'd take 64/87 from Raton to Clayton and call it a night.

One last look at the little river outside the balcony and it was time to leave.

IMG_1872.jpg

Leaving Ouray as we started on the MDH. Oooh, this could be fun!

IMG_1878.jpg

Stop for one last time for a look at Ouray from up high.

IMG_1879.jpg

A few shots of the MDH while it was straight enough to use a camera and steer.

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

At one point it got a little cooler than I expected.

IMG_1883.jpg

Signs you don't see around here.

IMG_1893.jpg

64 went from this view,

IMG_1913.jpg

to this view on a pass,

IMG_1914.jpg

to this surprise on the other side of the pass,

IMG_1921.jpg

to the Rio Grande Gourge outsideTaos.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

I didn’t know what to expect from most roads on the trip but 64 was surprisingly fun, going from Taos to Angel Fire. This was also my last time to imagine I was Rossi for the day. I’m afraid to guess who Kathleen imagined I was but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Rossi.

From Cimarron to Raton to Clayton we were surrounded by storms but only managed to receive a drop or two. It felt a little like Moses fleeing Egypt and knowing someone was watching out for you. Danger all around but we were fine.

We made Clayton no worse for the wear and found a decent motel for $50. We’re finally back on budget for the last night.

Day’s mileage, 469.

Day 14.

No pictures and not much to report.

Rode from Clayton N.M. to home in Midlothian in about 8 ½ hours.

Day’s mileage, 519.

Our wonderful trip had come to an end. I hoped you enjoyed it too.

Steve: FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! A request: could you post a map of your trip? It would be easier than me writing all the highway numbers. We live in the PNW so the trip looks like one we can do!
PS: To answer your question of does anyone have kids that buy them a new bike? Yes, my son got me my Bandit brand new[the bike we are standing beside in my avatar].

Wanabeguru, I hate to tell you this but I'm not a computer savy person. I know there is a way to do it but I don't know how. Thats the reason I listed the roadways. I would have liked to have had a map posted too. Maybe someone will jump in here and hold my hand through it.

P.S. I have a map of the western U.S. where I highlighted our course. It looks pretty impressive to me.

RedPill, thank you for the kind words. It was more work (and time) making the report than I thought it would be. Kind of a my trip is your trip sort of thing thing.

I really enjoyed this trip more than most I've taken. I have a real sense of satisfaction afterwards for some reason.

Great report with great pictures. The thing about pictures is that it refreshes our minds on the scenes that no camera can do justice.
I remember a note I wrote in my note book years back on my way to North Washington.
" Don't do 550 in Colorado first as it sets the standard for scenery and roads too high."

Back