• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
This is the "Harry Potter camper" as the stools appear to be floating above the floor.
LOL... that they are. Those stools have since been taken out of the camper though. I'm not much of a stool sitter and they just took up too much room for other stuff. They are currently sitting in the garage waiting for me to decide what the heck to do with them. I'm thinking they may end up on the curb, but we shall see.

LOL... that they are. Those stools have since been taken out of the camper though. I'm not much of a stool sitter and they just took up too much room for other stuff. They are currently sitting in the garage waiting for me to decide what the heck to do with them. I'm thinking they may end up on the curb, but we shall see.
I'm more of a chair guy too. I like to sit with my feet on the floor and my back in a chair back. But some of those chairs in campers take up a lot of room, so I get why stools are popular.

The little gal is getting some new shoes this morning. Bye bye China tires and hello to my trusted Michelin tires.

Attachments

• 5D6B138D-D810-4858-A414-55D17D6DE655.jpeg
    5D6B138D-D810-4858-A414-55D17D6DE655.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 190
I'll stick with my cargo trailer and work on it some.
We did just that for 6 years in a 6'x12' cargo trailer. It was two of us, two motorcycles, and three dogs. It worked, even if it wasn't optimal. There was basically enough room for one of us to stand up at a time while the other was out of the way on the bed.

It's just different strokes for different folks. If I were by myself with no dogs, that little cargo trailer would have been the roomiest thing and I could live in it for weeks (as long as I had bathroom access). But I'll tell you now, we had a MUCH nicer trip this time around to Big Bend than we ever had before. There was none of that "oh man, we have to go cram in that little trailer" feeling each night.

I still love all the different modes of travel. I don't plan on selling the tent camping setup any time soon as I still absolutely love tent camping. But.... this is a really nice option for all the stuff we do. And we travel quite a bit so it will get some pretty good use. In 2021 so far we have at least 11 outings planned for it. Those vary between a week and a half long down to just 3 and 4 day weekends. A buddy of mine gave me some great advice when I was talking to him about this trailer. He told me that I wasn't buying a trailer, but I was buying experiences. It isn't like I can take the money with me, we don't have kids, so heck with it, we might as well have some fun on this place while we are here. So far he hasn't been wrong. I've been to Big Bend well over a dozen times and this was hands down my second favorite trip. Second only to the trip where we car camped and I asked my now Wife to marry me. :)

I borrowed Jeff's cargo trailer a few years back. It's good, until the weather changes. When you camp in a car/tent/cargo trailer you do most of your living outside. That is great when the weather is good. But when the weather turns bad, it isn't as fun. A larger RV has the space that makes it better during crappy weather. You can still cook and you have a place to sit in the warm and dry.

Since I am normally by myself, I have plenty of room. The only thing I need is to vent the portable ac/heat unit through the floor. Plenty of room for table and coffee pot and my cot.

I borrowed Jeff's cargo trailer a few years back. It's good, until the weather changes. When you camp in a car/tent/cargo trailer you do most of your living outside. That is great when the weather is good. But when the weather turns bad, it isn't as fun. A larger RV has the space that makes it better during crappy weather. You can still cook and you have a place to sit in the warm and dry.
You couldn't be more right about that. When the weather is good and the little popup canopy was out, I would cook, eat, hang out, and pretty much live outside. This past trip to Big Bend with the lows sometimes in the 20's and the few days we had with snow, I was really happy to be able to get up, not have to walk across camp to go to the bathroom, and be warm and toasty while making/eating breakfast.

Two of my most miserable trips were one to NM where we were tent camping and a storm rolled through. No joke, I think we spent 3-4 hours huddled in the cab of the truck waiting for it to pass. Then one time in Missouri when we spent what must have been half a day squeezed into that little cargo trailer waiting for the weather to pass.

This time we just played board games or watched a movie.

And truth be told, while we have been looking to do this long before the covid thing, this really helped speed it up. We have been to campgrounds now where they have either closed the bathrooms or severely limited them for some reason, all due to the pandemic.

Bill and Rachel - This is Bob and Gloria. What a great photo display of more snow than we have seen there than in all of our 12 winters in Terlingua. So good to find you on TW Texans. We have completed the seasonal migration to the BB chapter of our retirement journey and have decided to tough it out this winter up in cold/snowy Morrison, IL. Our next phase will be to continue our adventures in a cargo van with camping gear and toys on board while taking shorter easier trips to warm places in future winter seasons. Hope to see you in one of our future Big Bend visits. Keep the FUNMETER pegged.

Not sure how I missed this report until today. Great pictures, Bill. I especially liked the clarity in the two coyote pix. Say hi to Rachel.

PS - First trailer blowouts? You've led a charmed life. I've probably had a dozen or more on my camping trailers, plus a few close calls where I found a problem just in time. I had Coleman campers for years; they're notorious for blowouts because the axles all sag and the tires wear on the inside. I've had no more problems since I bought my Flagstaff.

PS - First trailer blowouts? You've led a charmed life. I've probably had a dozen or more on my camping trailers, plus a few close calls where I found a problem just in time. I had Coleman campers for years; they're notorious for blowouts because the axles all sag and the tires wear on the inside. I've had no more problems since I bought my Flagstaff.
Yep, first ever trailer blowouts. We had a few close calls on our little cargo trailer, but caught them in time. These there was no catching as they were all good, and then 50 miles later they blew apart without any warning. I'm hoping that now that it has really nice Michelin LT tires on it that it will be good for many years to come.

I've always wondered about the tires on those little Coleman campers. I would see them going down the road with the axle looking like a smiling Cheshire cat, and thinking that can't possibly be good for the tires (or axle for that matter).

Bill and Rachel - This is Bob and Gloria. What a great photo display of more snow than we have seen there than in all of our 12 winters in Terlingua. So good to find you on TW Texans. We have completed the seasonal migration to the BB chapter of our retirement journey and have decided to tough it out this winter up in cold/snowy Morrison, IL. Our next phase will be to continue our adventures in a cargo van with camping gear and toys on board while taking shorter easier trips to warm places in future winter seasons. Hope to see you in one of our future Big Bend visits. Keep the FUNMETER pegged.

Hey Bob, I remember riding with you, Ed and Rich. You had a KLX, then you sold it and bought a motoguzzi. Then did you buy the KLX back?

Good hearing from you, Where’s Waldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is really good to hear from you! We were wondering if we would see y'all down there, and checked a few of the RV parks but didn't see you. I'm glad to hear that things are all good, and you are just moving to a different chapter of retirement. Now..... I'll be honest, I don't think I'd want to winter up in Illinois, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes. I don't want to summer down here in TX, but alas, my job doesn't want to pay me when I'm not around. :lol2:

Hopefully we will see you out and about, don't be a stranger!

It is really good to hear from you! We were wondering if we would see y'all down there, and checked a few of the RV parks but didn't see you. I'm glad to hear that things are all good, and you are just moving to a different chapter of retirement. Now..... I'll be honest, I don't think I'd want to winter up in Illinois, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes. I don't want to summer down here in TX, but alas, my job doesn't want to pay me when I'm not around. :lol2:

Hopefully we will see you out and about, don't be a stranger!
I don't know, DFW...I think we're better off without the likes of folks from Illinois...especially Bob. He was always an irritating cuss. And he had a DS bike like mine which always rubbed me the wrong way. Then he would get these fancy-schmancy bikes of different kinds, trying to one-up everyone. Plus, one time I saw him shooting a BB gun within the city limits of Study Butte recently, which I'm sure is in violation of city ordinance there.

And then there was that thing he would always do where he would brag about how well he knew the roads and trails of the BB area, especially the Terlingua Ranch stuff. I don't know how many times I had to help him find his way out of places where he would get us lost. He would also go around saying he was from some rural area in Illinois, but I think he was really a Chicago resident...you know...that Chicago style, big city, bluster kind of personality.

I for one am glad to be rid of him. :duck:

Here's a pic from one of the instances where he got us totally lost. I mean, just look at the guy's face here...he has no clue where he's at.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_141526184_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181203_141526184_HDR.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 172
And just for proof that I have most certainly gone from one end of the spectrum to the other when it comes to traveling to and camping in Big Bend, here is a photo from my first trip out there almost 15 years ago next month. My how things have changed in 15 years.

2006 Big Bend Camping-1.jpg

Hey Bob, I remember riding with you, Ed and Rich. You had a KLX, then you sold it and bought a motoguzzi. Then did you buy the KLX back?

Good hearing from you, Where’s Waldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David, Been seeing you on the site and thought of riding with you over the years but fuzzy memory..... so thanks for the memory jog. I "almost never" post on any sites. I like your current cycle stable. I got my first KLX there from Ralph (Cycle Tech) and let it teach a 62-year old "kinda" how to ride it on those wonderful desert roads. Always had both a roadie and a d/s since 08. KLX (1), KLX (2), DRZ, bought back KLX 2, and now a 08 WRR. Road bikes there over those years included: 650 BMW GS, F800 ST, R1200R, Guzzi Stelvio, Husky Terra 650, Verseys 650, and Tiger XRX 800. Almost forgot-had my Buell Ulysis first in the spring of 08. Now I'm over the hill in my life's ride but trying to keep the down hill slope easy. Be well, W

I've always wondered about the tires on those little Coleman campers.
I owned 4 Colemans over the years. They built an otherwise great trailer but the axle was always on the light side. That got a lot worse after Fleetwood bought them in the 90s. The heaviest axle they used was 2,000 lbs when they had trailers over 3,000lb empty. I routinely changed the tires at 4K miles, when I'd see a slight wear on the inside. Had to crawl underneath to see the wear. I visited a lot of industrial trailer places but never found a fix. My current Flagstaff has no such issues - I just changed the original tires at 14K and they still had good, even tread.

Denver is great so far, and the upside of global warming is an extended riding season. Hoping to meet a high school friend for a buddy ride through Utah in May.

I don't know, DFW...I think we're better off without the likes of folks from Illinois...especially Bob. He was always an irritating cuss. And he had a DS bike like mine which always rubbed me the wrong way. Then he would get these fancy-schmancy bikes of different kinds, trying to one-up everyone. Plus, one time I saw him shooting a BB gun within the city limits of Study Butte recently, which I'm sure is in violation of city ordinance there.

And then there was that thing he would always do where he would brag about how well he knew the roads and trails of the BB area, especially the Terlingua Ranch stuff. I don't know how many times I had to help him find his way out of places where he would get us lost. He would also go around saying he was from some rural area in Illinois, but I think he was really a Chicago resident...you know...that Chicago style, big city, bluster kind of personality.

I for one am glad to be rid of him. :duck:

Here's a pic from one of the instances where he got us totally lost. I mean, just look at the guy's face here...he has no clue where he's at.
Still lost as last year's easter egg - You forgot to tell em how I would stop in and "TRY" to beg a beer off you. What respectable TEXAN wouldn't have a beer for a lost Illinois boy. Be nice now, my FUNMETER is dipping low in the snow.

Still lost as last year's easter egg - You forgot to tell em how I would stop in and "TRY" to beg a beer off you. What respectable TEXAN wouldn't have a beer for a lost Illinois boy. Be nice now, my FUNMETER is dipping low in the snow.
LOL! I wondered when you'd chime in on my post. Bob!...beer over tequila? You know I'm a tequila man. Besides, the beer you would have requested would probably be some hipster brew from Marfa. :lol2:

Good to hear you haven't frozen solid up there yet. You're going to have to have change of heart about wintering in Big Bend. Maybe a winter there in Chicago will change your mind.:rider:

Here in Texas I've been putting in quite a few miles on the new Z650 on some our nice, sunny, 60-degree days. As you often put it...the funmeter is high here. Y'all take care up there and stay warm.

Back