• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 WR250R's take on Ouachita National Forest-Oklahoma side

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
JGlow and I frequent the Ouachita national forest many times a year and we never seem to take pics. We usually are having too much fun riding and searching for the next great trail/road. So this last weekend we decided to take pics at every moment that would be worthwhile. So I will let the pics tell the majority of the story of our awesome weekend.

The camp
IMG_1246.jpg

Our trusty WR250R’s
Billy20Creek20237-L.jpg

JGlow ready to hit the trails
IMG_1248.jpg

JGlow showing me the line
IMG_1255.jpg

One of our favorites, and they have put a lot of work recently with better marking and even re-routing it in some places.
IMG_1259.jpg

I was following a little too close through a mud-hole
IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

JGlow approves
IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

Me trying to look fast!
Billy20Creek20226-L.jpg

Billy20Creek20247-L.jpg

Some really nice color looking across to White rock
IMG_1257.jpg

And then me looking back from White Rock after the nice climb up
Billy20Creek20233-L.jpg

We did some water crossings, some more successful than others
IMG_1274.jpg

One of the not so successful ones, I broke the end of my shifter off, luckily some hunters at camp had a dewalt with some drill bits.
IMG_1272.jpg

Found some nice hill climbs
Billy20Creek20250-L.jpg

Sometimes JGlow lets me lead, but I think he does it just so he can watch from the back laughing and taking pictures of me trying to figure it out which way to go.
Billy20Creek20254-L.jpg

Billy20Creek20240-L.jpg

We were also treated to some nice fall color
IMG_1280.jpg

Billy20Creek20252-L.jpg

Billy20Creek20238-L.jpg

And a well deserved fire to warm our feet
IMG_1276.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for the tour :clap:

That looks like it was a great time. I grew up riding off road, loved it and am considering trading my Concours for a WR. Thanks for the pic's!

Craig

Looks like a great time! I'm looking at the WR's too. Can you give a brief run down on your bikes perform? Also the Ouachita national forest is a large place, whereabouts did you camp?

Looks like a great time! I'm looking at the WR's too. Can you give a brief run down on your bikes perform? Also the Ouachita national forest is a large place, whereabouts did you camp?

We camped at Billy Creek just north of Muse.

Like many have said about the WR250R it really is a bike that can do anything. With a set of handguards, set of sprockets, larger tank, skid plate and a set of bags you can pretty much take this bike anywhere a "real" dirtbike will go and do it pretty well. It also cruises down the road pretty nicely especially 55-65 MPH. I also have the suspension revalved which helps out as you pick up speed in the rough stuff. But for many, the stock suspension is fine.

The WR is actually much more forgiving than my CRF450 because the hit is much softer so it doesnt spit you quite as far off the trail when you make a mistake with a handful of throttle:)

Thanks Kirbykajin, thats what I was wanting to hear about the bike. I can sure see how 250 cc in those rocks could be an asset as opposed to 450 cc.

I used to have a cabin near Big Cedar (Hwy's 63 & 259) just up the road from Muse. Had the cabin for 10 years but I didn't own a dirt bike then. Great area, wishing I had been there too.

Sweet! I wish I had a big bike route through there. Hint. Hint. The nephews and I set off through the area a coupla years ago without local knowledge and couldn't find diddly-squat.

Richard, next time let me know and I might be able to meet up. My WR is at my place in AR but can drive there and get the bike out. Not riding street bikes anymore in fact I need to get the Trophy ready to sell.

It was a pretty awesome weekend - perfect weather too!

Richard, you forgot one of the best pics :clap::

Billy%20Creek%20258-L.jpg

I guess that would be called a Leaf Angel? :ponder:

...And while I'm at it:

Billy%20Creek%20243-L.jpg

Richard was kind enough to leave out the picture of my WR on it side at the top of that hill in the background. He also has a video of me picking up the bike and immediatley dropping it on the other side. I like to think of that as "balance" or the " Feng Shui" of the bike :rofl:

Why not one more pic of the trusty steeds:

Billy%20Creek%20236-L.jpg

Greatest. Bike. Ever.

Thanks for putting the Ride Report together Mr. Kirbykajin (did I misspell that corectly?) I guess we will get back up there after folks are done wearing orange vests and shooting at stuff :mrgreen:.

jordan

Richard was kind enough to leave out the picture of my WR on it side at the top of that hill in the background. He also has a video of me picking up the bike and immediatley dropping it on the other side. I like to think of that as "balance" or the " Feng Shui" of the bike :rofl:

I've had a few of those Feng Shui moments myself :lol2: :doh:

Okay dude, you have cost me several hours now perusing this and followingg Jglow's links to the Alaska trip and TAT report on ADVrider. Great reports!

My buddy Jeff "Chase the Lion" and I talked riding with you guys at Billy Creek this weekend. Now I connect the dots. We had a great weekend riding, managing to not break our bodies or our bikes. Didn't take many pics though.

Okay as payback for the hours spent with great ride reports I offer up a few links to waste the day away.
http://www.edhess.com/ARKANSAS DUAL, MAR 2010/index.htm

http://www.edhess.com/SHADOW OF THE ROCKIES, JULY 2009/index.htm

http://www.edhess.com/NEW MEXICO and ARIZONA, APRIL 2008/index.htm

There are many more on my website if you are inclined to poke around. Now everybody wants to look at stuff on Facebook.

Pleasure meeting you guys this weekend. Hope to run into you all again somewhere.
Ed

Okay dude, you have cost me several hours now perusing this and followingg Jglow's links to the Alaska trip and TAT report on ADVrider. Great reports!

My buddy Jeff "Chase the Lion" and I talked riding with you guys at Billy Creek this weekend. Now I connect the dots. We had a great weekend riding, managing to not break our bodies or our bikes. Didn't take many pics though.

Okay as payback for the hours spent with great ride reports I offer up a few links to waste the day away.
http://www.edhess.com/ARKANSAS DUAL, MAR 2010/index.htm

http://www.edhess.com/SHADOW OF THE ROCKIES, JULY 2009/index.htm

http://www.edhess.com/NEW MEXICO and ARIZONA, APRIL 2008/index.htm

There are many more on my website if you are inclined to poke around. Now everybody wants to look at stuff on Facebook.

Pleasure meeting you guys this weekend. Hope to run into you all again somewhere.
Ed

Ed it was nice meeting you and Jeff. I hope you guys enjoyed your riding as much as we did. The weather was just about perfect, with the little bit of rain knocking down the dust. Read through some of your rides, glad to see you on that 450x, a much lighter bike for those tough trails. Take care.

Looking at heading back out there to ride May 14/15. Two other riders on 450's may join me this time. Want to ride together some that weekend?

Looking at heading back out there to ride May 14/15. Two other riders on 450's may join me this time. Want to ride together some that weekend?

Yea I can probably make that weekend work. Keep in touch with the details. Riding out of billy creek?

Awesome pic. Thanks for posting them up. BF and I are planning an Ar trip and this rr maybe gives me an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Looks great!

gina

SpocDoc (Ed) and I have also ridden a number of trails in Arkansas including up towards I-40 and Mt. Magazine a few years back. He probably can help you with more info on trails/gps track out that way.

Jeff

Back