• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 Year Riding Anniversary

Not Dave

Technically I AM Dave
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Hogate
As of September 1st I have been riding motorcycles for 2 years. I've owned two bikes, the first logged 9,000 miles and the current one have logged 13,000 miles so far. None of those miles were commuting as I have a take home car for work.

I started out knowing only a couple of people with motorcycles and through the help of a couple of websites (meetup.com and TWT!) I am part of a bigger family now.

Most of the rides I go on are with people from meetup and most of them have sport bikes which I seem to identify most with. I don't ride one myself, now having a sport touring bike, but they are respectful and I'm always able to keep up with them. There are other times where I'll ride with TWT folk and that's been an adventure too. Especially the pie runs.

Last year Tom (TexTom) and I rode to see the AMA Pro Road Racing at Barber Motorsportspark in Alabama. That was a blast! Got to visit the museum there too. Very interesting seeing the heritage of motorcycles.

This year has been a bit slower as Melody and I got married in June and my bike was down for repairs for 10 weeks after a parking lot knock down. However, after getting the bike back, another buddy and I rode to Corpus Christi on a day ride to see the USS Lexington, the oldest remaining aircraft carrier in the world. For myself it was a 410 mile round trip, for Tim (HutchPhoto) it was 445.

Tim and I are planning to attempt a SS1000 next month. Melody has expressed that she wants to get a Triumph Bonneville for herself.

I know a lot of folks here have been riding for many more years and many more miles (RIP Ardys Kellerman) but you have to start somewhere. I thank the good folks of TWT for making this experience more fulfilling and enjoyable, especially my Austin Thursday lunch buds. Here's to many more years and miles with great friends that make a great family! :clap:

My first ride, 2008 FZ6 the day I brought it home:

2011-09-01_15-27-24_263.jpg

The first fish fry I attended at Ron's (thumper_tx):

P1210002.jpg

After selling the FZ6, my next and current ride:

P4230068.jpg

Tom and I about to head out to Alabama:

2012-06-20_07-42-17_866.jpg

After the museum:

BMPSign.jpg

Thursday Austin lunch crew at Ken's Hot Rod Coffee Trailer:

DSC00005800x532.jpg

Pie run to Hico:

DSC00012_zpsa0c35af3.jpg

The day Daytrader (John) moved to Chicago, he visited us first:

DayTrader01_zps43e5c76d.jpg

My (repainted) bike and Tim's C14 at the USS Lexington:

DSC00076_zps9719ccc3.jpg

Pie run to Walburg, Jerry and Cindy:

DSC00002_zps291ec6c2.jpg

Jennifer, Mark and Scott:

DSC00003_zpsf9656cbb.jpg

DSC00005_zps7223b3ee.jpg

That's a good bit of riding considering that you're not commuting on it. Glad you found a great community.

Ya' know, I really wouldn't want to give up my years of MC experience (started in 1967 and have never been with out a bike since)...

But, I sometimes wish I had been a little more mature when I started so I could've appreciated the early times more than I did. The early days are starting to fade on me. Some are still sharper, but some have gone. The smell of a new Honda S90 always pops into my head when I think of then, but number of miles I've enjoyed is escaping me.

Know what I mean?

Congrats on the 2 years and enjoy these times!

:clap:

Great sounds like these two years have been fun for you. Many more years of riding pleasure ahead,enjoy.

What a great, thoughtful post. Happy anniversary, and here's to your next one!

:beer:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Congrats on the milestone Dave. Looking forward to riding many more miles with you even if they're just between Billy's and Ken's (see avatar pic).

[ame="http://youtu.be/BKSkBsnfkFA"]The Flintstones Happy Anniversary - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks fellas. It sure has been a fun 2 years. Back in the 90's I got started in Ham radio. After moving to Texas I steadily lost interest in it. Not wanting to spend my idle time sitting in a room with radios and computers talking to old farts doing the same. Yeah, there's some young'uns in ham radio too but it just didn't fit my lifestyle anymore. I missed the days of riding the sand dunes in SoCal and had wanted a motorcycle for decades so went about getting one. The happiness has only continued to grow from that point on. You all are a great family, some of you are weird but that's part of what makes it fun. I'll be 44 years young in November and hope to have an SS1000 under my belt by that time. Just little things on an ever changing bucket list. Got a SCUBA cert several years back, that was a goal also. Haven't done much diving since that first year. The motorcycling... this will be around for a long, long time.

Yeah, this is much better than amateur radio. 73! :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Nice summary of the riding anniversary.

You've done a lot of fun events in your two years on two wheels.

I was sharing this with my brother and I'm loving the bike pics. He's a gearhead and points to the Subaru in one of your pics. Don't know if the Subaru is yours but he complimented the owner on a great looking Subaru. He has two - same model - I guess to each their own. One is Cobb tuned and really moves - it blew out my Porsche so I had to of course sell the Porsche from the embarrassment. :(

I absolutely love the new paint job on your BMW - man that looks sweet!

Thanks Russell. That Subaru Forester was not mine though I did own an '07 Outback for 3 years. Good cars. The journeys just keep piling up! Hope to get my wife riding soon. She wants a Bonneville but think we'll start her out on a TW200 first.

Well after 2 years and some mile munching, I hope you've found yourself if you are indeed NotDave. :mrgreen:

Like the paint job by the way.

Well after 2 years and some mile munching, I hope you've found yourself if you are indeed NotDave. :mrgreen:

Like the paint job by the way.

Oh, I wasn't lost but do have the adventure bug in me. Love to go places I haven't been to yet. Motorcycling is also a release, therapy as some have called it. It's much fun!

The paint is getting a lot of good reviews. :sun:

Congrats on your 2 years. keep up the neat trips. Oh, Melody NEEEEEDs that Bonneville.

My how time flies. This post was 6 years ago! I miss Hutchphoto and Daytrader, may you guys rest in peace. I've met so many other TWT'ers, all of you are great.

Thanks for reviving this thread, NotDave- I hadn’t seen it before-interesting.

So, does Melody ride?

She got her license, she got a bike. First day out riding by the house and she goes down in a curve after hitting the gravel. She quit riding that day. After two hip replacements on the same hip she was afraid of crashing and messing it up, crippling her for life. Before that we rode 2 up. She still encourages me to ride as long as I like it.

Back