• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WEST TX: SOLD - 2001 Honda XR650L - $3400 OBO

Reaction score
Sold on CL...

2001 Honda XR650L
Midland, TX
$3400 OBO

I am the third owner. The PO bought the bike from a dealer used with very few miles. All he did with the bike was ride on his property near Austin, and make a few trips to Big Bend (trailer there and back). This bike was my first dual sport and I too have trailered out and back to ride in Big Bend and AZ. 4574 indicated miles, however; the previous owner had some issue with the speedo/odometer. I have replaced the cracked back plate of the speedo/odometer, so it is as good as new. Actual estimated mileage is still pretty low, but probably closer to 7000 miles. It has been a great bike and never let me down. I overhauled the engine in 2018 primarily to add the kickstart, do the 2nd / 5th NX gear swap, and for the fun of it (I have a problem...). Not a garage queen. Ridden and well maintained. Slight over-bore, improved transmission ratios, and kickstart! I currently have two bikes (the other being a CRF450X) and am working my way to one (CRF450L/FE501/KTM500).

Acerbis 5.8 gallon Tank
Supertrapp Tunable Muffler (extra plates included)
Aluminum skid plate
Rear brake caliper guard
Rear brake disk guard
Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards
ROX Risers
Protaper 1-1/8 CR Hi-Bend Bar
Fork brace
CRF230F front fender (I have two stock fenders if preferred)
Windshield
Enduro-style tail light
Moose Racing oversized footpegs
Battery Tender Lead
Li-ion Battery
DID O-ring chain
Fritzco 14t sprocket (have a 15t also)
Manracks case saver (left side)
Currently has a newer generation seat (original available)
De-smogged

Like many XR650L's that have actually been used as intended, the subframe was cracked when I bought the bike. The frame was weld repaired and reinforced with gussets. I also added the Manracks hog-leg bolt-in supports(belt and suspenders).

I made some of the typical carb changes as this one was completely stock and un-touched:
Airbox snorkle removed
Dave's mods to carb
Re-jetting

Rear suspension linkage re-built with bearing replacement as needed
Rear shock re-built with new bumper, bladder, seals, and Race Tech Gold Valve
Front fork fluid change

New CDI in 2017 (original failed - luckily in my garage!)

Engine overhaul in 2018
Top End:
-Wiseco 101 (657CC - stock compression) piston / rings
-Cylinder bored & honed to Wiseco spec
-Valve seats re-cut (3-angle)
-New valve stem seals (OEM)
-New camshaft (stock had a pit on one lobe)
-New rocker arm (repaced due for corresponding cam lobe)
-New camchain
Bottom End:
-2nd & 5th gear mod
-Updated shift return spring
-New OEM XR600 countershaft
-Kickstart added including Magnesium Right cover
-New pulse generator (had one on hand)
-New seals / elastomers / gaskets
-New clutch
-New crankcase bolts
-New engine mounting bolts

Clean blue TX title in my name. Current registration thru 10/19. Buy the bike and I'll include a second wheel set, extra plastics, spare seat, a new cycleracks rack, and a pair of used dirtracks side racks for free.

Last edited:

Last edited:
That's a very nice repair.

Well THAT'S how you do a XRL!

I really don't want to go to CL with this... How about the extra wheel set, rack set, and extra plastics and seat all included? Make me an offer...

tjrockit - this rack was black PC from Cycleracks. I'm actually located in Midland, TX. My "Location" is listed as West Texas as in the region instead of the city...

tjrockit - this rack was black PC from Cycleracks. I'm actually located in Midland, TX. My "Location" is listed as West Texas as in the region instead of the city...
That's funny. I asked the guy from Cycleracks if I could buy one in black and he said "NO, they only come in red!!" So I found a used one for less than half the price and had it sandblasted and powder coated black. Cheaper than a new one and got what I wanted.

That's funny. I asked the guy from Cycleracks if I could buy one in black and he said "NO, they only come in red!!" So I found a used one for less than half the price and had it sandblasted and powder coated black. Cheaper than a new one and got what I wanted.
When I ordered mine, there were options for red or black and I got a black one. Of course, that was 7 or 8 years ago.

I'll also throw in my on hand OEM spares including fork seal set, ignition coil, filters, gaskets, etc. I need to move this on - someone make me an offer...

Was seriously considering it to replace mine but then purchased a 2016 KTM 350 XCF-W so I'll hold onto mine for a while now.

Man, this is SUCH a well outfitted XRL at an amazing price. I'd nearly replace my XRL with this one....

SOLD - really cleaned out the garage with this one. Wheel set, plastics, seat, parts, takeoffs, racks...

Back