• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2003 Bandit 600s rebuild

Reaction score
Hey all I’m new here, I have a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600s. A few months back I did a routine oil change and after about 20 miles riding down the road the oil pan bolt backed out and I lost all my oil. After a few miles the engine shut off and i had a friend come pick me up. I put oil back in hoping for the best and I found my motor knocking. Heartbreaking as the bike only has 11,600 miles on it. I parked the bike and after moving i started the rebuild process.

I decided to take the bike down to the frame so I can send the frame off for paint or paint it myself, which means I pulled the engine out. I tore it down, removed the head, removed the jugs, etc and found nothing amiss, which leads me to believe my lower bearings are toast. I’m really torn on whether to replace the entire engine with a GSXR 750 motor or build the original. I’m fairly mechanically inclined but I’ve never gotten this far into an engine rebuild so I kind of want to use it as a learning curve.

From reading around on the different forums, which is where this post is leading, I’ve read some mixed answers and figured I’d come to the probable experts. From what I’ve read I can use a GSXR 750 top end with my lower unit, is this correct? As in use GSXR 750 jugs and head? I’d like to use my original carbs so they would need to be rejetted, which i haven’t experimented with either, though I’ve rebuilt them a few times due to gas buildup. What I have in mind is this, use GSXR 750 crank and pistons, either replace my jugs and head with GSXR 750 parts, or have my cylinders bored to accommodate new pistons and shave the head and change the springs and valves for the change in compression. Or just use a GSXR 750 head and my original cylinders now bored out.

Would this work? What should be my plan of action here? If what I speculated made sense and y’all could follow. I appreciate any and all help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With apologies to TWT I'm recommending you also post up on Maximum-Suzuki site. There are folks over there that can tear down and reassemble Bandits in their sleep. Also, pretty much every hack possible has been done.

Hate to hear about your Bandit. I loved my 600 and still think it's a great platform. Personally, I'd like to see you take it back to stock form with a Stage 1 jet kit and aftermarket pipe. Best of luck.

With apologies to TWT I'm recommending you also post up on Maximum-Suzuki site. There are folks over there that can tear down and reassemble Bandits in their sleep. Also, pretty much every hack possible has been done.

Hate to hear about your Bandit. I loved my 600 and still think it's a great platform. Personally, I'd like to see you take it back to stock form with a Stage 1 jet kit and aftermarket pipe. Best of luck.

I appreciate it. Yeah it was heartbreaking and I couldn’t ride until I bought another bike but gives me a chance to build it like I want to. She already had an aftermarket muffler but I’d just like a little more power. Any reason you’d rather me go back to stock and just put the jet kit in? Realistically it’s probably cheaper and gives me more wiggle room later down the line. I love my 600, probably more than I do my FZ09, I miss riding it and want to get her rolling soon.

Any reason you’d rather me go back to stock and just put the jet kit in?

Dunno.... They are such cool machines in stock form. The motors are bullet proof (as long as they have.... err, never mind) and they're not readily available. Sentimental is really the only reason.

Dunno.... They are such cool machines in stock form. The motors are bullet proof (as long as they have.... err, never mind) and they're not readily available. Sentimental is really the only reason.

Hahaha I feel you there. I’m sentimental too, especially since it was such a low mileage machine. And yeah, ha ha as long as they have oil, i know [emoji28]. I’m wanting to go gloss black on the frame and flat on the plastics so I feel like some of the original love may be lost but I think it’ll look great...hopefully

Update: I found an engine from a late 90’s 600 near me for $75, claims it runs so I’m gonna pick it up and clean it up and see where it goes and put rebuilding my current one on the back burner while i decide what to do.

I have really enjoyed my Baby Bandit. Maybe I will get a big one someday...

I love my 600, I have an FZ09 that is plenty of power for me but I loved riding my bandit and miss it every day. I’m anxious to get her finished, so hopefully this engine I’m picking up works out for me.

Back