• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 TAR Ride Report

I had a great time riding with Calgary-Yogi and BMWbabe. I got a late start out on Thursday so ended up riding down by myself.

Graeme and Mollie and I rode Route 2 to Alamo Village to see the world's largest outdoor movie set. I didn't take very many pictures that day. We did mostly pavement but did ride Old Junction Road which was an absolute blast (dirt/some rocks).

Poor Mollie got sick so Graeme and I rode without her on Saturday. We rode the double loop (route 10) and ended up also going to ride Hackberry Road. That was a lot of fun and had multiple water crossings.

The ride back Sunday was miserable. It was COLD (and raining at times) for the six hour ride back.

I'll try and post up the limited pictures I have later this week.

Thanks to Richard and Uncle for putting the time and effort into planning the event and for scouting out all of those good roads!

First time to participate for me and my riding buds. We came on knobbies and had a great time on the off-pavement parts of the rides. Too much pavement work getting to them in the case of #9/13, but those parts would have been great on road tires. The class 4 on #13 was very close to what I ride in Colorado so it wasn't as intimidating as I had anticipated. Got to hand it to anyone that did it on one of the bigger road-oriented dual-sports tho' - that took skill.

We missed a couple of turns and did some of the stuff backwards (groups seemed to either leave us or stay behind at eating spots longer than we did, so we did much of our riding by ourselves). The Hackberry Rd part of 13 was super. A ruined tube killed the last half of #3 for us Friday, and my bud spent about 5 hours on the side of 674 while I rode to RockSprings for Slime and Inflate-a-spare (neither of which does any good when the valve stem is torn), then rode back to Junction for the truck. I got in 150 road miles on my knobbies while he saw a grand total of 5 cars in those 5 hours - traffic is definitely not a problem down there. Saw the same highway patrol pickup five times as I went back and forth on 674 - he finally decided to drive down the road to see what was going on. At least we got to do the Old Junction Rd part - that was a hoot, and the only time we actually got to ride with a group. Did we learn to not forget to carry tire irons and extra tube? Uh huh.:lol2:

We should have elected to do ride 5 on Saturday. And, we definitely should have paid much closer attention to the Roads of Texas maps using a magnifying glass so we would have realized which routes had the most off-pavement stuff. We won't make that same mistake next year.

Super job, Richard. :clap: :clap: The above statements are just part of the learning curve. The routes took a ton of planning and you did a magnificent job. Definitely on the list of must-do events each year. We're coming on knobbies again next year, and we already plan to get more dirt on us! We'll not forget the tire irons, either.

Fantastic event!
ron

Thought I'd share some of my pics.:rider:

This was my fantastic camp site at the KOA.
285829481_GLxXe-L.jpg

These next few Pics are all along Hackberry Rd.
285823279_iyW79-L.jpg

285823059_uFjgD-L.jpg

285824361_5a5b8-L.jpg

285823893_wFaxS-L.jpg

The one time you don't take a crossing seriously, it lays you down! Lesson learned... water crossing are fun... needed to cool down a bit anyway!
285824164_rcA4n-L.jpg

Nice little slide don't ya think!
285824569_CyX2s-L.jpg

These potos are from FM 335. This road is crazy... gassing it all the way, light as a feather on top and heavy as a sack of rocks at the bottom, what a rush!
285827214_UhEBh-L.jpg

285828347_f39iF-L.jpg

285828150_fZUA2-L.jpg

We decided that we just had to try the most difficult DS road in the area. Lets just say it was one heck of a workout!
285830711_JJ7ES-L.jpg

285831392_PiDDA-L.jpg

285831583_ewLQC-L.jpg

Road / Creek it's all the same right?
285830280_iABVe-L.jpg

285831965_whtbd-L.jpg

Finally time to take a break!
286022072_5ZHd9-L.jpg

Saving the best pic for last.
286011825_Ksy2Y-L.jpg

Friday

Friday morning came early. The first item on today's agenda was the breakfast buffet at Isaak's Restaurant. Isaak's hosted a buffett each morning in their banquet room exclusively for TAR. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, coffee, and orange juice were just the right ticket to prepare us for the day's ride.

Apparently dual sport adventure riders really like their coffee. Riders began showing up 30 minutes before the buffett opened trying to get their morning cup of Joe.

The buffet
2008TAR001.jpg

The buffet was a real time saver, the food was good, and it was well-attended each day.
2008TAR004.jpg

The rider's meeting kicked off at 8 am. Riders were reminded to be safe, given updated route changes, and then organized into small groups based on what route they wanted to ride that day.

Ready for the rider's meeting
2008TAR022.jpg

Owen and Rusty planning the day's route
2008TAR023.jpg

My wife (Connie), Uncle, and I rode together today. Connie is an inexperienced rider so I came up with a modified route for us to ride that day - not too long, not too tough. I wanted to ensure she had a good ride and was not stressed out by a too-tough dual sport road or a too-long day in the saddle. The modified route I came up with worked so well I'm going to include it as one of the routes next year. Unfortunately, though, Old Junction Road proved a little too challenging for Connie's skill level. She was a bit miffed at me by end of day, but eventually, when I had plied her with enough Nectar of the Gods (i.e. cold beer) that evening she forgave me. I am pleased to report, though, that she managed every water crossing we encountered and never even bobbled once (which lots of TAR riders can't honestly claim).

Kimble County dual sport Roads never disappoint
2008TAR026.jpg

Uncle and Connie
2008TAR027.jpg

2008TAR029.jpg

Water crossing in Sutton County
2008TAR035.jpg

2008TAR033.jpg

Taking a break next to the Llano River
2008TAR037.jpg

Old Junction Road is a really fun ride
2008TAR042.jpg

2008TAR043.jpg

2008TAR047.jpg

2008TAR048.jpg

After about 3.5 hours of riding we reached pavement at Hwy 377 near Rocksprings. It was about 1:30p.m. and we had missed lunch. Want to go to Rocksprings and grab a bite at King Burger? Connie was ready to head back, so we skipped Rocksprings, turned north and headed for Junction. We arrived back at the hotel mid-afternoon hungry and thirsty for something besides the warm water we had in our tank bags. A stop at La Familia Restaurant for some Tex-Mex and Iced Tea took the edge off and re-hydrated us.

Uncle on his DR 350 slabbing his way back to Junction
2008TAR056.jpg

The remainder of the day consisted of checking in late arrivals, story telling and tire kicking, a few cold beers, and a fine cigar. A fitting end to a fine day.

I took very few pictures but I had a wonderful time. Thank you to all those who helped make it such a great time. (Since I've been running my mouth off about how great it was, Sparkyphotog (hubby) is coming with me next year. That means we'll have to spring for a babysitter for 4 days but its so worth it.) You can go ahead and put us down now for next year.:trust:

The one dirt road I got to go on, Old Junction, was great! It just happened another group was just ahead of us so we took turns opening and closing gates; that was very handy. I'm even going back this weekend with the same routes loaded to see if I can persuade someone adventurous to try some with me. (I'm gonna be at cheapstoc)

Thanks again!!

Re: More 2008 TAR Ride Pictures

Great picture! May I use it in next year's ride guide?

Of course. It was my camera so the picture belongs to me but be warned that mark Mark took the picture and he is already whining because he didn't get credit for the one Carla put up on the Lone Star front page. That's what he gets for being so much faster he has time to stop and take pictures while waiting for us.....

Howdy! TAR was my first adventure ride, and I was very impressed with the quality of the event, how interesting and friendly all the riders were, and how incredibly beautiful Texas is. Being so much more up-close and personal with the creeks, valleys and roads was thrilling. Thank you!
As a suggestion for the next TAR, could Trespassing be addressed a bit more?
I am not from Texas, and I was shocked at my ignorance about it.
I realized that I had no concept of the seriousness of trespassing, either legally or culturally.
I was involved in 3 trespassing, chased by a pick-up during one and confronted by a very agitated rancher whose shot gun was within reach in another. We had scared his newly born goats.
I might suggest a pre-ride trespassing education for city-slickers like me, signage at major route entrances, and an outdoor banquet catered by a local BBQ establishment.
I would hate to see the benefit that Junction received by our presence be undermined by angry land-owners.
Thank you for listening to me.
Cheers, Patrice. Austin, TX

I would encourage Mark to whine directly to Robert - he's the one that had our webmaster put it up. But! I'll get it corrected!! (he whines????)

Great wide angle shots CCRN, love the one on the dry creekbed. Lots of KLR's representin'. :)

Chadleys, I met you on the Hill Country DS in 2006 I think. Did you get caught in that gulley washer on the way back to Austin?

-good to hear from you

Yep, it was raining on and off all the way back, but we never really got rained on that hard.

I had only brought summer gear, so the cold was my biggest problem.
We made a stop at the Family Dollar for a 3 dollar poncho, and a roll of duct tape, before leaving Junction. 3 hours later, we were still on dirt, bumping countless gates, muddy, wet, cold, lifting a fallen 08 KLR, and loving it. Here is a pic of that "adventure" moment.
patriceKLRdownsmall8.jpg

I take pride in the fact that I was able to talk Patrice out of his camera, in order to click a photo before righting the bike. He even hammed it up a bit. Although he is a very seasoned roadbiking veteran, this was his first dualsport ride, and I thought he did great. I'm sure his wife, who is also my friend, will really appreciate the photo... haha

Maybe he will post some of the rest of our photos from the trip... hint hint:trust:

This was my first TAR and I had a great time. Everyone was wonderful and the roads were awsome. Can't wait till next year. Many thanks to the sponsers and all those who put it together. Great Job!!!

Great pics!

I was riding w/ the TSBA Sat., and saw a bunch of y'all on the stretch heading from Doss to Llano. For some reason I have a hunch that I'll have a DS bike by next year's event!

I would encourage Mark to whine directly to Robert - he's the one that had our webmaster put it up. But! I'll get it corrected!! (he whines????)

Does he whine? Oh, he whines. He whined about my forcing him to ride to Junction instead of trailer. He's whining right now because he has 'the flu' (although it is more likely don't-want-to-go-back-to-work-itis). Fortunately, he is also a great traveling partner and an even better friend.

I was just teasing about the photos. I hope it didn't come out wrong in electronic form. We were both honored to see our photos on the LS site. -Fletch

Holy craap dude that's not a water crossing, that's a river!

At least it looks like it's on gravel instead of wavy, algae covered rocks!

On the way to TAR we spied Red Brown sitting in the middle of the road attempting to hitch a lift. I told him he should get on that bad motor scooter and ride, ride, ride. He did – very well. His motor scooter turns 14,000 rpm and goes very fast. I could not keep up because I get skeered and have to slow down.

286777948_CvFge-L.jpg

I always gas up at the Telegraph Store because gas there is still 95 cents per gallon.

286777956_4rRRj-L.jpg

Pretty bluebonnets and a proficient motorcycle co-exist in harmony by the Llano river.

286777714_b8ncR-L.jpg

Treysmagna poses fashionably in his cool Hi-Vis Darien Jacket. I'm sure this pic will make the cover of the new Aerostitch catalog – watch for it in July! Tres is a proficient motorcyclist. His bike is always stable and upright. I notice in the photo that his DR has had a “fenderectomy.” That's another mark of a proficient off-road motorcyclist.

286777470_SqKhe-L.jpg

Tres ain't afraid of no slime!

286777799_e5hMF-L.jpg

Birdkiller! Birdkiller! Birdkiller!

286777737_awytj-L.jpg

I didn't know what to do! Didn't know what to say! So I just writ a pome.

A frightful altercation did ensue
on 337 Friday afternoon

As fowl across the roadway sailed
astride a mighty beast that wailed
Toma'sTigre took to pursuit,
and none there were
who could deter the fight

Claws were bared - feathers flew
the balance of life
decided in these few
moments of fearful encounter

The mighty carnivore prevailed of course
not however without recourse
as the gobbler , sensing end was nigh
desperate, and defiant wry, in final act
left tigers nose cracked and pecked was her left eye

With glass lens shattered and fiberglass battered
our victors display their prey
let no one doubt, as J.R. hoists high his load
that Tigre's beast is the predator on this road

286777203_bhhUk-L.jpg

We rode around and found these interesting rocks on the side of the road.

286776991_o3ev2-L.jpg

Then a dapper dude on a proficient motorcycle showed up and posed for this picture.

286776742_VHvCo-L.jpg

WooHoo!!! a good time was had by all. Thanks for putting on the show Rich. It was a blast! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to Richard, Connie, Roger, Dave, and anyone else that worked on making TAR 2008 a huge success. The riding was wonderful, the company was the best. The food was pretty good too.

I made new friends and rode with some excellent riders this trip. We explored roads off the beaten path, in some cases they were off the route too. We were not technically lost.... only having an adventure as I see it.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

The bikes varied from all out competition machines with lights, mirrors, horn, and a tag to street machines adapted to gravel and dirt. The uncommon ones caught my eye.

IMG_0559.jpg

No big surprise that KLRs outnumbered all other bikes combined. Note this is only a guess based on casual observation, not a scientific count.

IMG_0558.jpg

One thing about dual sport riding I enjoy is the mix of pavement and dirt. In one day we rode the sisters, rode the best of route 13 including the tough section, rode portions of several other routes plus some ad hoc gravel linking the routes. It was all good.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

These 250s give a glimpse of the past and future sitting side by side.

IMG_0578.jpg

The old air cooled, carburatted XR with conventional forks stood in both contrast and harmony with the liquid cooled, injected, upside down equipped WR. Old school bike with lots of accessories next to spankin' new bone stock.... Both were correct for the task at hand.

What TAR report would be complete without touching on water crossings? The trusty XR with its predictable manners and power delivery was excellent in this area.
Water crossings by the letter.....
S stands for slick which equals sedate.

IMG_0583.jpg

R stands for rocky on which you can rock and roll.

IMG_0612.jpg

That last one was so much fun that we crossed back and forth several times playing on it.

My furry passenger even seemed to enjoy the spray.

IMG_0615.jpg

More on him later.... Wiley had a blast and may have to submit his own report.

Great report and pictures. Love the ones of the standard street bikes with knobblies!

Any WR riders out there care to comment on your impressions? I've been slobbering over that bike as something I might actually be able to handle off road ('cause my KLR kicks my butt).

I cannot give a first hand report on actually riding one.... but in riding next to it, following etc I can say that it is one smooth, quiet and sweet machine. Suspension and power delivery looked very well suited to the riding we did. Our days included everything from rough loose large rocks, to twisty roads, to high speed runs up the highway. That WR impressed me.

Thanks to all who put on TAR 2008. I met some great people and had a blast.

We left Wednesday so we could get in a little extra fun.

TAR here come.
IMG_1169.jpg

Unloaded in Junction and head out Wed. afternoon to explore Kimble County.
This water crossing was easy after falling twice on two other algae covered ones. (Kimble County algae must be the slickest since I did not fall again:lol2:)
IMG_1174.jpg

Thursday morning we headed out again to do Kimble County west.

Oh no more algae:eek2:
IMG_1177.jpg

The GPS said we are on the route, but we were skeptical.
IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

Got back around 1530 just in time for registration.

Friday after the riders meeting we headed out for ride 3. The best dual sport roads in Texas.(as long as the gates are not locked.)

IMG_1193.jpg

Keith, Cotton,Pete,and ED..what great guys to ride with.
IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

Do to a locked gate on Cedar Creek Rd we had to modify our route. Covered 300 miles more pavement than dirt but still a good day.

We saved the best for last ...Saturday was fantastic. A modified version of ride 13 to include part of what we missed on ride 3 due to the locked gate.

Pete (m3spotevo)
IMG_1221.jpg

and Keith (Fangs) are pumped up and ready for the day.
IMG_1223.jpg

Hackberry Road
IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Oh yeah...more on the algae. After crossing one particularly slick water crossing someone in my group said "hey get your camera, some bikes are coming" It was a group of KLRs.
th_KLRcrossing.jpg

Kent Creek Ranch Road here we come.
IMG_1239.jpg

We made it.
IMG_1241.jpg

We moved on to White Mountain Road, part of ride 3.
th_CrazyEDkeith.jpg

Made it back to Junction at 1830 and covered 275 miles. What a great weekend. Thanks again for the fun.

TAR 2008 comment

This was my first off road ride. My son, Blake, joined me. I never had so much fun in all my life. It was nirvana for me. Can't wait till next year. We did ride 3 and 5. Ride 5 to LLano was most enjoyable. Our DR650 and DR350 performed exceedingly well. Thank you Richard for creating a dream that my son and I will always remember.

Attachments

• Joe, George,Blake,Darrell,Chris,Mosley.jpg
    Joe, George,Blake,Darrell,Chris,Mosley.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Blake & Darrell.jpg
    Blake & Darrell.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 271
know what ya mean, we rode the kent creek section, me on my 1200 gs, went through with no problem, then dump it on the creek crossing going out. no real damage done except for my pride,:doh: but all in all met some great people, and the rides were really great!!! can't wait until the next one!!:clap::clap: great job to all who had a part in putting this on was first class!!:clap: :clap:

You too? The youngsters up by the resort were all watching as my KLR did a slow 180 and came to rest hanging off the edge! Didn't even hurt my pride too much....yeah, right. But a great weekend, great rides, great job Richard. We had so much fun at Kent Creek that we rode it again same day, south to north. And crossed that dang little creek with no problem (very slowly and very carefully though.) We told Richard that we didn't have any trouble finding Kent Creek Road, just never did find the hard part!

Saturday

Rumors of bad weather had been floating around all week. Back on Monday the 7 day forecast indicated thunderstorms for Junction and a few posters commented on the not-too-encouraging outlook. However, so far the weather had been great and no rain had fallen. Saturday morning was cool and cloudy and looked to be another fine day.

During breakfast Connie decided to take the day off from riding so Uncle, Dave, and I teamed up for the day. There were a couple of dual sport roads I had not yet ridden and had been itching to go explore. Today was the perfect opportunity. Shortly after the riders meeting we rolled south on Hwy 377, bound for county road 930.

We took the back way out of town which led us by the local golf course. Uncle, an avid golfer, was quick to spot it.

After about 50 miles of pavement we arrived at CR930. Time for a quick break.

Our first look at CR930
2008TAR005.jpg

We wound our way west and north on 930. At first it was a dirt superhighway - easy, fast, and smooth. But, slowly, as it wound it's way deep into the surrounding ranch land it deteriorated until it finally became a pretty interesting road. Not as rough as Old Junction Road, but not bad either. The end of CR930 brought us to a ranch that had a nice big rock marking the entrance.

The engraving on the rock says: MacKenzie Trail 1876 3 horse thieves hung by Texas Rangers and buried here
2008TAR007.jpg

Uncle
2008TAR008.jpg

At the end of CR930 we turned left onto Baker Road, another dual sport road, and made our way south to pavement and eventually Rocksprings. It was lunch time so a stop at King Burger was in order. It turned out that a stop at the King Burger was on everyone else's agenda too, as the parking lot was full of dual sport bikes.

King Burger makes a fine hamburger and is quite popular with locals and dual sporters alike
2008TAR009.jpg

After a leisurely lunch Uncle decided he would rather play golf than ride so he headed north to that golf course he had spotted earlier in Junction. Dave and I decided we needed to pay a visit to at least one of the 3 Twisted Sisters, so we headed south on Hwy 55 to Barksdale and the southern end of RR 335. I never grow tired of riding the 3 twisted sisters as all three are fantastic motorcycling roads.

Dave working the curves on 335
2008TAR013.jpg

2008TAR017.jpg

Once back in Junction it was time to start prepping for the Saturday night banquet. We had rented the local community center for the evening and had to set up all the tables and chairs, hang the banners, set up the sound system, etc. I stayed pretty busy the rest of the evening and I only got one picture of the banquet.

2008TAR021.jpg

Intrepid explorer Milton Otto was the guest speaker for the evening and gave a fine presentation of the amazing dual sport riding available in the mountains south of Monterrey, Mexico. Door prizes were generously provided by TAR sponsors Lone Star BMW / Triumph and TJ's KTM, both in Austin, TX. I can't thank the sponsors enough.

Once the banquet was complete and the community center was cleaned, we retired once more to the grassy knoll just outside our room at the Hills Motel. A few of us sat around, enjoying a cold beer, tasty cigar, good conversation, and a light show from an electrical storm off to the north.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that Connie and I had a great time at TAR 2008 and are already looking forward to next year.

I'll finish with some random shots from the weekend.

Texas Armadillo
2008TAR068.jpg

Viva Mexico, indeed!
2008TAR100.jpg

In the battle of footpeg vs shin, footpeg almost always wins as Bobcat can attest
2008TAR062.jpg

Crash bars are a good idea. Your plastic takes the hit when you don't have them.
2008TAR061.jpg

I think the Two Wheeled Texans took over the La Vista motel
2008TAR059.jpg

The Legends Inn welcomed TAR back this year. See you next year.
2008TAR058.jpg

I just finished figuring out how to convert the raw video into usable clips...

th_TARHackberryCreek_0001.jpg

Hey... did I do that part right too? Not sure yet who the rider is, will send a copy of the footage though.

I cannot give a first hand report on actually riding one.... but in riding next to it, following etc I can say that it is one smooth, quiet and sweet machine. Suspension and power delivery looked very well suited to the riding we did. Our days included everything from rough loose large rocks, to twisty roads, to high speed runs up the highway. That WR impressed me.

Thanks Ed! In my case it's just lack of pilot skill and 20 years of rust on any dirt riding foundation I had, but I think I could do a bit better with the 100 lb lighter ride (although I'm not a tall guy and the WR is pretty tall).

Back