• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 TAR Ride Report

Fangs and V1Rotate, were you at the Sat night banquet? I never saw you guys!? :doh:

Pam and I had a great time again this year and didn’t think it was possible to surpass the fun we had last year but we were way wrong. Our thanks to Richard, crew and sponsors for all the hard work we know it took to put this growing T.A.R. event on.

In all our crew put in almost 600 miles and about 400 of it was two-up. Pam is a real trooper. She did the 400 with a crushed finger and had surgery on just before the trip, but was not going to let that stop her from getting on the rear saddle of the KLR.

We met so many great DS folks on this trip. Don and his Alaska adventure story. You are one tuff dude. Thanks to Gary and crew for the help and use of your 12v compressor, which saved us so much time airing up the tube change we had to make on the trail. Terry, for sharing your great personality and a fun day’s ride. Jerry, for sharing stories and a late Thursdays steak dinner with us, and meeting Greg for the first time and joining our crew on this trip. I’m sure it’s the first of many.

Attachments

• pam & I Junction.jpg
    pam & I Junction.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 648326158111_0_BG.jpg
    648326158111_0_BG.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 285
  • DCP_1189.jpg
    DCP_1189.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 291
  • DCP_1183.jpg
    DCP_1183.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 282
  • DCP_1197.jpg
    DCP_1197.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 284
Fangs and V1Rotate, were you at the Sat night banquet? I never saw you guys!? :doh:
I was the XR who pointed at you Sat morning on Main St. You and Desmo were heading from your motel to the rider meeting. I was going he opposite way on Main St. warming engine to check oil. You gave me the head nod.

Our foursum returned at 630PM. We loaded during the banquet and hit I10 at 930PM after talking in the parking lot of the Sun Valley.

This was my first off road ride. My son, Blake, joined me. I never had so much fun in all my life. It was nirvana for me. Can't wait till next year. We did ride 3 and 5. Ride 5 to LLano was most enjoyable. Our DR650 and DR350 performed exceedingly well. Thank you Richard for creating a dream that my son and I will always remember.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Dave(Darthrider) and I headed out of Amarillo, on our KLRs, about 7am last Thursday, morning of the 24th, headed for Junction Texas and the 2008 Texas Adventure Ride. Sure are lots of wind turbines between here and there.

TAR62.jpg

TAR63.jpg

About 400 miles later we arrived at our Motel, The Sun Valley Inn, at about 2:30 that afternoon. That evenings meet and greet was planned for around 4pm so we had some time to lay up and rest. The motel rate was cheap and the room was nice. I'll stay there again.

TAR1.jpg

We made our way over to the Hills motel around 4:30 to where the meet and greet was to take place. Lots of bikes and riders starting to show up. We pick up out T shirts and goody bags provided by the Junction COC and sign up for the Saturday evening banquet and door prizes giveaway. We mingle and look at all the bikes. I run into a few guys I met at last years ride. While I'm mingling, Dave rides over to where the Ride On people(one of the ride sponsors) are treating your tubes with their product for free. I had mine done last year and am on the same tubes since then so I didn't need any. When Dave got thru we headed over to get some very good Mexican food.

TAR2.jpg

Friday morn came early at 6:45. After getting some breakfast at Issacks restraunt We decided to ride the Willow City loop. Dave said he'd ridden the actual Willow City part of our ride before on a street bike but the dirt/county roads route we were going to take to get there would be new to him. Even tho the weather forecast for the weekend said rain, we lucked out with perfect weather, for the most part.

Ride7a.jpg

The roads on the route were classed as a 2 for the most part. Nothing hard or technical. Lots of nice scenery and wildlife to watch out for. Water crossings varied from gravel to concrete pad. The gravel ones were no problem but the concrete ones had to be crossed very carefully, as they were often very slick. It seemd that the best place to navigate them was staying in the car tracks, but as we found out later that's not always the case.

TAR3.jpg

TAR4.jpg

TAR8.jpg

TAR9.jpg

TAR12.jpg

TAR13.jpg

TAR14.jpg

TAR15.jpg

TAR16.jpg

TAR17.jpg

TAR18.jpg

TAR19.jpg

We were headed toward Enchanted Rock State Park and when we found ourselves back on pavement I knew we must be close.

TAR24.jpg

Dome Rock can be seen at the entrance. I guess lots of rock climbing goes on here.

TAR25.jpg

TAR26.jpg

Head on down the road some more and we soon get to the actual Willow City loop. A nice, narrow paved road thru some great scenery, with its own water crossings, the concrete kind.

TAR27.jpg

TAR28.jpg

I went thru one on the Pecan Creek section of the loop, staying in the car tracks just like I had been all day when next thing I know I'm screaming profanities in my helmet,as I'm on the ground and me and the bike are sliding down the road. God aweful sound! I feel my forearm taking a scraping thru my jacket sleeve. I jump up to shut the bike off, as it's still running. Dave sees the whole thing happen in front of him. I check out the bike and find the left highway peg sheared off, but not unfixable. Had some abrasion damage to my HT overpants on the *** but I never felt anything hurt in that area, so I guess they did their job.

TAR29.jpg

TAR31.jpg

TAR32.jpg

I told Dave it's his turn next. Sure enough, about 3 crossings later I'm watching him in my mirror after I cross to make sure he comes out ok. I take my eyes off the mirror for just a nanosecond and look back again and he and bike on the ground. I turn around to head back and see he's not getting up. I quickly pull out the camera and snap a few.

TAR36.jpg

Every water crossing on pavement we came to after that we walked first to find the best line.

TAR38.jpg

TAR39.jpg

The only Bluebonnets we saw all weekend were on the Willow City loop. Last year they were everywhere.

TAR33.jpg

TAR34.jpg

As we were finishing up the Willow City loop headed for Fredricksburg, it started to lightly rain. Just enough to wet the pavement and make it slick. Any kind of braking caused slides and an increased pucker factor quotient. We were coming to a long gradual curve in the road and I was going to slow down for it, given the conditions. Well, the tires weren't having it, as they broke loose and I started to slide. I decided to keep it straight and head for the side of the road. There was a ditch that didn't look too bad, tho it had foot tall grass in it and no telling what's in it. As soon as I left the pavement I started braking as much as possible, rode down into ditch and out the other side of it, kept my momentum and turned heading back across it back up to the road. Faceplant averted.

Shortly after that we stopped at a small roadside BBQ place with lots of unique atmosphere. We could hear singing and guitar picking as we parked the bikes. Dave got some pictures. The ride back to the motel from there was pretty uneventful.

Next morning we decided to ride 3 of the shorter loops, coming back to the motel for a beer after each.

Ride10a.jpg

Ride3a.jpg

First would be the Kimble County east and west loops and later that afternoon we'd do Old Junction road down to about Rock Springs and head back via 377. Took us about 2.5 hours each. Neat roads and scenery. Dave encountered his first bump gate.

TAR44.jpg

TAR45.jpg

TAR46.jpg

TAR48.jpg

TAR49.jpg

TAR52.jpg

TAR54.jpg

TAR57.jpg

At one gate we had to go thru there was a mean lookin bull that was snorting and tromping around. I figured I'd open it and let Dave go thru first.

TAR53.jpg

Sunday, thunderstorms were blanketing everywhere between Junction and home so we stayed in the motel another day and watched movies and figured we'd head home Monday when the weather cleared. That evening around 4pm it started breaking up some and the sun came out and I wanted to get out for some exploring. Wanted to try to make it down to ride the 3 sisters, 335,336 and 337 but I didn't have enough time to get there and back before dark. So I explored some county roads in the general area of Junction, getting back just before dark.

By Monday morning the bruising of Daves hip from his water crossing crash started showing. He also caught his arm between the ground and his rib cage on that fall, compressing and most likely dislocating some intercostal tissue, so he was pretty sore after the first days ride. But he didn't let it stop him from riding the rest of the weekend.

The bikes ran well with some minor fuel screw tweaking for the elevation. It was a good trip and I think Dave enjoyed himself. He took alot more pictures than I. I know he got some good ones, so stay tuned.

Did you actually ride the Cedar Creek portion of this route? We tried it on Saturday and came to a locked gate :doh: Had to backtrack all the way up 674.

Thanks for all the great pict's.
Maybe some day my schedule will allow me to go.Looks like a good time:thumb:

No, we didn't go that far. It was late in the day, about 4pm when we started it. I only use the route 3 map to illustrate our ride of Old Junction road to 377 and back to Junction before it got dark.

Did you actually ride the Cedar Creek portion of this route? We tried it on Saturday and came to a locked gate :doh: Had to backtrack all the way up 674.

Hay Tourmeister, let see some of the photos you were shooting. I thank I seen you shot more photos then an eighteen year old at a playboy shoot.

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 282
Thanks for all the work put into this ride!

We were a tight group of three: Me Dad & Tony. The terrain & countryside were outstanding! Even if ya got momentarily lost, uh I mean off route- it was still awesome riding!
(The more I see riders use G.P.S. the more I wanna stay with the M.A.P.)

Simply one of the best 500+ miles I have ever put on a bike!

Thanks to Tony & Dad for scattering all the deer for me! By the time I rode through it was all clear!

~Only in Texas can you be greeted with a shotgun, and a few minutes later be invited in for coffee~

I rode with Ed (Ed29), Keith (Fangs) and John (V1rotate), (and Cotton on Friday). What a great group of guys! Nice write-up, Ed. I owe you a test ride of the WR250R (now that it's broken in). Can't wait to go back next year! Thanks to all for the legwork setting this up! - Pete
PS - the Yamaha has been a great bike so far. Just rolled over 1,100 miles. Needs a skidplate, some barkbusters, a larger rear sprocket and maybe a new exhaust. Not a lot of low end, but it pulls when the revs go up. It will pull 70+ uphill, with my 200+ pounds. Got around 60 mpg for most of the weekend (higher when I'm running around town).

Great ride on Saturday! I missed the riders meeting but met Bill and Mickey at a gas station. They were kind enough to let me tag along. After filling up we linked up with Joe and Mark, they are all from the Lubbock area. Excellent riders and very friendly. We rode #13 and had a great day. I had to peel off early, hope you all made it home safe. Only got a couple of pics.

Nice assortment of bikes, 990ADV, SuperEnduro, KLRs, GS. LtoR Mickey and Joe
junction001.jpg

Taking in the view. Mark, Mickey & Bill
junction008.jpg

If you rode kent creek ranch road south to north, you may remember this spot as quite relaxing. In the background you can see Joe helping Mark fill up from the "Exxon Valdez" auxillery.
junction015.jpg

Thanks to all that put this on. I plan on returning and checking out the rest of the routes.

Oh my goodness!! I am going out and buying a KLR tomorrow!! My buddies have been trying to convince me that I need yet another bike. I have had the itch for a dual sport for a while, but after seeing these pictures AND my friends having way too much fun without me....I have to scratch the itch!

Friends....without them, I would not stay in so much trouble! But then life wouldn't be near as much fun! Thanks to everyone for posting such great pictures! I am looking forward to meeting more of you "trouble makers" soon.

Delores
2007 BMW K1200GT
2001 Yamaha 650 Classic
2001 HD 883R
2003 Honda Valkyrie (gone but sorely missed)

GTgirl, welcome to the site! :wave:

Terlingua, I am uploading pics now... it is taking a while. I will try to get to work on the report tomorrow if we are not busy at work. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the non-bump bump gate I smacked open :doh: Must have been all the excitement that made me forget :shrug:

Terlingua, I am uploading pics now... it is taking a while. I will try to get to work on the report tomorrow if we are not busy at work. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the non-bump bump gate I smacked open Must have been all the excitement that made me forget.

I understand, that would have scared me a little too. Be glad it was a cheep gate a not a big bump gate. You probley would have wound up with some bent forks are worse.:eek2:

It's easy to tell how much work goes into an event by how smooth everything runs. Richard, you did a great job...THANKS.

Althought, I didn't ride as much dirt as most of you all did, I had a super time putting my own spin on this adventure ride event. I tend to like riding my own ride at my own pace sooz I don't don't hold up the group or get in folks way.

After reading about how wild this part of Texas was a mere 100-125 years ago, it's little wonder that folks lock their gates to keep outsider away....County road or no.;-) If we only knew how many people disappear in Kimble County only to never be heard from again....?

I stayed at the Sunset Motel which was nice. I will stay there again next year if I don't camp out. The food at Isaac's Restaurant was good as well.

I enjoyed visiting with old friends and making new friends.

Untill next year.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/Quick.Silvers.Photos/2008TARRideReport

Last edited by a moderator:
Thursday

:tab Okay then... So EARLY Thursday morning, I load up the KLR and leave for Steve's (Desmo) house about 9:30am. The crust from my eyes finally clearing so I can actually make out the road before me... It's supposed to be about an hour run down FM 1791, 149, 1488 through Magnolia and then to his house. It is ... WINDY!!! I am getting blown all over the place. The clouds look like they might open up on me at any moment, thick and grey, hugging the tree tops. The further South I get, the better it looks. I catch a little drizzle but nothing serious. Sure enough, with in about an hour, I am close to Steve's house... but there is road construction.

:tab The GPS shows Steve's house to be only about a 1/2 mile up the road. However, at the turn off, the entire road is closed for repaving :doh: I pull up to the flag guy, show him where I am trying to get to and how it will be a LONG way out of the way to get there if I have to detour. He gets on his radio and asks if I can scoot down the shoulder to bypass the work. A few minutes later he gives me the okay sign. I run a few hundred yards down the road then hop off onto the shoulder. The shoulder is fairly steep and sandy so I just slip on down into the bottom of the ditch. Everything looks like it has been dry for some time and it is pretty smooth. I pass around the paving machine, which spans the entire road, and come to a culvert. I move a little further over from the pavement to clear the culvert and suddenly...

:tab I am in swamp mode!! The grass is pretty tall so I never saw the stagnant water and mud. It is thick, black, and soupy. Almost immediately the bike starts flopping around and wanting to slide out from under me. The bike sinks in almost to the axles... Nothing to do but stand up, shift the weight back, and GAS IT!! :rider: The look on the face of the guy sitting on the steam roller watching me is priceless! His eyes look like they are about to pop out of his head :lol2: The bike is fishtailing and roosting muck high into the sky. Some of it finding its way back down on top of me :doh: I just stay on it and keep the front pointing towards higher ground and eventually slush my way through. I pull up onto the brand new pavement dripping goo everywhere :oops: I give the steam roller guy a nonchalant thumbs up and continue on my way :mrgreen: Nothing like starting out an adventure with a little adventure :thumb:

:tab I round the next few corners and find Steve's house. The truck is ready to load so we get to work. In short order we have my KLR and his XR650R nicely tucked away and strapped down in the bed of his truck.

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

:tab We toss our gear into the truck and head out right around 11:00am. The ride West goes quickly as we solve the problems of the world. We arrive in Junction early evening and find our hotel... The La Vista Hotel.

IMG_3668.JPG

Checking in is almost as much adventure as navigating that mud bog this morning. Credit cards are declined. Calls to the credit card company are made. Duplicate charges are found. Much confusion entails. Eventually, we get it all sorted and check into our rooms. We are later informed that a new credit card machine is on the way, hehe. I don't know if it is because she felt bad about the check in snafu or just because she thought Steve was cute, but the lady let us put up my TWT banner on their marque sign :clap: The cool thing is that it is even back lit so the banner will show up at night!

IMG_3669.JPG

:tab We can't find a good spot to unload so we head across the street to a different hotel to use their retaining wall as a ramp substitute. Turns out, the hotel lady's uncle owns this place, her Mom owns one of the other places, and I think a sister or two own some as well. Pretty much every mom and pop place in town is in this one family!

We didn't even need the ramps.
IMG_3670.JPG

:tab After getting the bikes squared away, we cruise down to the main hotel to see who all has made it into town thus far. Already there are quite a few bikes. We've been seeing a nonstop stream of KLR's, DR's, GS's, and other thumpers going back and forth up the main drag past our hotel.

IMG_3671.JPG

We get checked in, Richard's explaining something and Connie doesn't really look like she's buying it...
IMG_3672.JPG

We find Darren in the parking lot with his brand spanking new KTM 450EXCS:drool:
IMG_3673.JPG

:tab Darren is one of those lurker types on TWT. He came out for the Ride the Rio event back in February to contribute to the snore fest in tent city :lol2: He was on a KTM 950 Adventure then. One can only imagine how much fun the new 450 will be!

We spot this sweet KTM 950 Super Enduro while wandering in the parking lot, no clue who it belongs to :shrug:
IMG_3674.JPG

:tab We spend a while visiting with folks, checking out more bikes, and then finally decide it is time to do something about dinner. Just across the street from our deluxe accommodations is the Plum BBQ, Grocery and Gas station. On advice from our hotel clerk, we head over to sample the local cuisine.

Oh yeah... it's good and big portions!
IMG_3675.JPG

:tab We grab a few after dinner beers and head back to the hotel. Bill (Viejo) and Todd (no clue :scratch) are staying in the room on one side of us. Bruce (Terlingua) is on the other. We finish out the evening with some porch chat and then call it a night. The rider's meeting is at the crack of dawn tomorrow... 8:00am :eek2:

Friday

:tab The obnoxious sound of my cell phone alarm clock is blaring in my ears. It was mostly a sleepless night. I'd like to make you think it was because I was nervous about the incredible adventure today holds in store for us. Truth be told, it was my old joints complaining about the sheet covered plywood excuse for a mattress I slept on last night :doh: I felt like I was sleeping on the ground... Anyway, we load up the bikes, gear up, get gas and head to the meeting.

This is not everyone...
hillsparkinglot-s.jpg

:tab Steve and I had decided that we were going to run the Lucky 13 route that heads down Hackberry Road, Kent Creek Road, through Leakey all the way down to Tarpley and then back. It is the longest route, includes a good bit of pavement and the start and end, but looks to be very interesting. We hook up with Bruce and a few other guys: Keith, Joe and Chuck (CeeBee?). A little bit of waiting in the parking lot for everyone to get their stuff together and then we are off... heading South on Hwy 377.

:tab I had never ridden the part of Hwy 377 that runs South out of Junction. On a street bike, it would be a really nice ride. It is not bad on the KLR except that at the speed I wanted to run, my KLR is a bit buzzy because of the knobbies and 14 tooth front sprocket. Still, it is fun. There are lots of fast sweepers, some elevation changes, pretty scenery and even a section of nice 30 mph curves.

Looking out over the South Llano river from Hwy 377
IMG_3679.JPG

[Dang, work intervenes :doh: Will try to pick up later this evening.]

You all are killing me me with these awesome pics and reports, nice job. Alright go ahead and put me on the ride list for next year.:lol2: If I plan now then I should be able to make it.:rider: Hey Jerry I don't think you can get anything else packed on to that KLR, nice setup.

Just wanted to thank Richard and all his crew for all their hard work.This was a first time for us to ride this event and we enjoyed everyday:rider: .I did have a small adventure with a flat rear tire on 674 and got to experience the views and wildlife for almost 5 hours:giveup: .I will be back next year and have a complete tire repair kit with me:doh: .Also thnx to whoever it was that loaned the tire irons Saturday morning. :clap: We also found out that Cedar Creek Rd does dead end just like it showed on the GPS

Attachments

• DS Ride 019.jpg
    DS Ride 019.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DS Ride 004.jpg
    DS Ride 004.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 259
  • DS Ride 008.jpg
    DS Ride 008.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 271
  • DS Ride 043.jpg
    DS Ride 043.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 263
  • DS Ride 044.jpg
    DS Ride 044.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 257
A few more pictures from our ride :trust:

Attachments

• DS Ride 017.jpg
    DS Ride 017.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 265
  • DS Ride 016.jpg
    DS Ride 016.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 259
  • DS Ride 022.jpg
    DS Ride 022.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 256
  • DS Ride 013.jpg
    DS Ride 013.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DS Ride 039.jpg
    DS Ride 039.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 269
So there we were, sitting on the side of Hwy 377...

Joe on his DRZ400
IMG_3680.JPG

:tab It is a pretty long haul, 40 something miles, down Hwy 377 and 41 before we reach the start of Hackberry Road. We wait at the intersection for everyone to regroup before we head out. Bruce leads on the big KTM. I opt for bringing up the rear. There is a grey overcast and it has been misting slightly. It is fairly windy as well. This all makes for a nice ride as the dust is not bad at all, even in the back!

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

:tab It is not long at all before we come to the first water crossing at the Nueces River. I watch a few others go across and scan for the algae. I take what looks like clean tracks from trucks crossing, pop in first gear and go across at a steady pace. I never feel so much as a wiggle and soon join everyone else on the far side.

IMG_3684.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

We mingle with another group for a bit before taking off ahead of them
IMG_3686.JPG

:tab Again, we go only a short distance to another crossing. This one has poles on each side of the "road" to show where you should drive to get across. It reminds me of the tall poles on the sides of the mountain roads in Colorado to show the snow plows where to go so they don't go over the edge... Bruce takes an alternative route over what looks like dry rock bed to the left of the route. Most everyone else takes the water. Bruce made it look easy, something he will do all weekend, so I decide to try his route.

Keith watches as Joe makes his way across
IMG_3687.JPG

Then it is Keith's turn
IMG_3688.JPG

Everyone across except for me
IMG_3689.JPG

:tab I turn left and head down stream on the rock. There are a few small ledges that are no big deal. However, there are many of those "potholes" where the water swirls have created deep divots in the rock face. Some are pretty large and have to be dodged. Then there is a thin area about the width of a sidewalk leading to the far bank where there is a small climb out up onto the rocks near the road. Piece of cake and dry the whole way.

The route I took is to the right of this image. The pool in the foreground is where all the water goes before disappearing underground to emerge somewhere far downstream. I never do find where it comes back out.
IMG_3690.JPG

This is looking downstream, from about midway across. The sidewalk area is off the right side.
IMG_3691.JPG

:tab While walking around out on the rocks, I spot a cool looking oak trek clinging to the bank for dear life. I love stuff like this so I had to get a few shots.

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

:tab Soon the other group catches up to us. They see me standing out on the rocks and I try to wave them over to take the dry route. The first few head right into the water. Some of the latter ones come on around the way I direct them and they make it across with no problems. We take off again to stay ahead of them.

:tab Yes... a short while later we come to yet another water crossing! This time though I see Bruce's KTM laying on its side and he is just getting up. Looks like the algae got him! He's quick though!! Before I can get out the camera, he already has the bike upright without any help. I can see water dripping out of his helmet. He must have really received a good dunking!! :lol2: He seems none the worse for the wear and the side guards on the bike have done their job well.

Here Bruce delicately tries to get the bike turned the right way so he can motor on out to the other side
IMG_3694.JPG

Desmo pausing just to take in the beauty of the area
IMG_3695.JPG

:tab The rest of us make it across without incident. Before long we reach the end of Hackberry Road and drop out onto FM 335. We head South and look for the start of FM 2361. This is a great stretch of pavement that winds its way back into the hills following Bullhead Creek.

Joe chugging on down the road
IMG_3698.JPG

:tab Eventually the road turns to gravel and we cross the creek

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

What is hard to see here is a nice rope hanging off that cliff face on the left for slinging out into the swimming hole made by this dam.
IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

Not much of a water crossing... more of a puddle doding :shrug:
IMG_3703.JPG

:tab After crossing the creek, the road starts to climb up out of the creek valley. It gets much more narrow and wanders like a drunken snake among the short oak trees. It does not appear that this section of road gets much traffic on a regular basis. Works for me :rider: All to soon we reach the start of pavement again and pick up the start of FM 3325. This is up on a higher plateau and is not as twisty as 2361. It is big fast sweepers... at least for those of us that can run over 65 mph, hehe. This would not include Joe on his DRZ 400. Not sure what is up with his DRZ but it does not want to run any faster and is sucking on the gas. Keith's DRZ 400 is fine as is Chucks Yammie 450. We stop at FM 336 to check our gas situation and decide our next course of action.

Here Joe is scavenging gas from the KTM tender vehicle. I provide the siphon hose, but the rule is, if you need gas you suck! :lol2:
IMG_3705.JPG

:tab Chuck is convinced he can make it to Leakey. He is packing a few small gallon sized tanks in his side bags and is not worried. So we decide to head down the road and look for Kent Creek Road, billed as the "Toughest DS road in Texas!" Can't pass that up now can we!? :flip:

:tab A few miles South we find the entrance to Kent Creek Road. Everything seems decent enough at the start :shrug:

Looking down the hill the direction we are heading
IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

Looking back up the way we just came
IMG_3707.JPG

:tab The road winds down pretty steeply into a narrow valley. At the bottom there is a small farm house and barn. We cut along what looks like a driveway but is actually still the road. Before I even realize what is happening, I find myself on the back of Joe and Desmo crunching our way through some heavy river gravel and bouncing off some big rocks. I really need to be carrying more speed to make this comfortable but I am right on the back of Joe and Desmo. I decide to stop and let them get ahead, a risky proposition because the bike immediately wants to plow in and tip over in the loose rocks. I manage to stop and sit for a moment just to soak up the moment.

Looking back upstream
IMG_3709.JPG

The road that lies ahead
IMG_3710.JPG

The dry rock bed gives way to a wet and slimy wet creek bed...
IMG_3711.JPG

:tab I bounce and splash my way through to find Mark, Todd, Fred and Bill hanging out taking a break. Bill and Todd just pounded their way through here on their BMW R1150GS's!! I pity da foos! They made it, but they had that really whooped look on their faces :lol2: I shouldn't laugh, but I've been there and done that, and it is WORK!! The KLR is much easier in stuff like this. We pull forward of their group a bit and take a break. I had not noticed it being all that hot thus far, but suddenly I am feeling the heat. I must have really been working the bike back there :giveup: There are some cliffs nearby so I decide to do a little exploring while we rest.

Beyond that gate lies the "Toughest DS road in Texas!"
IMG_3712.JPG

Bruce trudging up the road towards the gate after visiting with the other group back by the water
IMG_3713.JPG

The cliff and creek
IMG_3714.JPG

The water is crystal clear and looks very inviting...
IMG_3715.JPG

These huge ferns cling to the washed out lower face of the cliff and drip water and a pretty good pace. I guess it is flowing down out of the rocks in the cliff.
IMG_3716.JPG

Looking downstream, the cliff overhanging the water
IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

Bruce soaking up the serenity of the scene
IMG_3720.JPG

:tab Rested and refreshed, we get back on the bikes and keep heading South. Not far down the road Bruce pulls over at what looks like a rest stop. There are stairs at the edge of the cleared area that lead down the bank to a wide river bed of rock with high cliffs on the other side. Down stream a ways in a large ledge drop. There must be some kind of dam below that because the water looks fairly deep beyond the ledge. There also appears to be a step ladder mounted in the rock face of the ledge for climbing down into the water below. Not really wanting to get soaked feet this early into the ride, I forgo walking downstream in the ankle deep water for a closer look and head back up the stairs to the bikes.

Bruce's KTM, Desmo's XR650R and my KLR
IMG_3721.JPG

Meanwhile Todd and company catch up and pass us by
IMG_3722.JPG

Dayglo Bill
IMG_3723.JPG

I think this is Fred (Ausfletch)
IMG_3724.JPG

I missed a shot of Mark, he was going to fast! :doh:

:tab As the other guys are coming back up the steps, I decide to take lead and make the run back out to FM 336. However, just down the road, I find the other group pulled over. It seems Chuck has decided it is time for his WR to get some gas so he can make it to Leakey. They seem to have the situation in hand so I cruise on by them and continue on my way. In a few miles we pass through what looks like some kind of summer camp with cabins, playground, swimming hole, etc,... I slow down as we pass through, cross the creek and then make the last bit of the run back to FM 336 to wait for everyone else.

Joe at the exit of Kent Creek Road on FM 336
IMG_3725.JPG

Looking South down FM336 towards Leakey
IMG_3726.JPG

:tab Toughest DS road in Texas? I don't know... It is all subjective of course. On the KLR I did not find it all that hard. Just stand up and stay on the gas with a loose grip on the bars. I don't know that I would want to do it for mile after mile, like I had done in places in Arizona with a guide that will remain unnamed (GOTDURT), but for a few hundred yards it was not bad. I still would not have wanted to be on an R1150GS :nana: Some of the riding inside Big Bend National Park was tougher I think, at least on Black Gap Road. Then there are the miles and miles of deep loose sand in East Texas... That stuff will wear you down! Nonetheless, I'd do it again :trust:

:tab Once back on pavement, I decide it is time for a little fun. Most of the guys are running a pretty sedate pace to conserve gas. Being on a tanker that is not a problem for me. I make a few passes and then set out to enjoy myself. No point in being out here on such a great road and not making the most of it! :rider: Before long I am rolling into the North side of Leakey and as I slow to merge onto Hwy US 83, Bill comes rolling up behind me. It would seem he had the same thoughts I did! :lol2: We roll on into town and pull over in front of that fancy lodge/restaurant place on the corner of 83 and 337. Everyone else soon joins us. There are already quite a few other riders here.

Now that is a sheepskin seat cover!
IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

Another nice KTM (of which there were many!)
IMG_3729.JPG

Some of Austin's finest... hooligans! :-P
IMG_3730.JPG

:tab While I am walking around checking out bikes, Darren walks... or slightly limps... up to me, "Want to see something?" Uh oh... I should probably grab my camera but in a fit of pity forget to take any pics :doh: Darren has his right forearm wrapped in an ace bandage down near the elbow. His right hip is bulging noticeably. It seems he has an icepack on his hip. I follow as he hobbles over to his new KTM... dreading what I will see :-| It is not as bad as I thought it might be. It seems he lowsided on a concrete river crossing on Hwy 377 just South of Junction at the very beginning of the ride :doh: The side of his new extra large gas tanks is rashed up pretty good, as is the exhaust and a few other bits. However, he and the bike seem good to go. After all, he kept riding and came down Kent Creek Road as well! His group starts to head out and I begin wandering back in the direction of food only to meet up with Klaus, whom I have not seen since July of 05 when he and his wife Diane had to bail from a tour to Colorado I was running because of damage to their K1200LT from road debris :doh: No, he's not DS'ing the LT. He has a KLR and he's having a blast! So after a quick chat to catch up, once again I head for food.

Good food, fast and cheap!
IMG_3731.JPG

:tab I am starving and when the food comes out I totally forget to get the obligatory food shot :oops: By the time I remember, it is gone! Mama Chole makes good soft tacos! :eat:

For all the nature lovers out there ;-)
IMG_3732.JPG

[and it is now time for me to take a break... I'll try to get in some more tomorrow].

Coyote Adventure Ride

Hi all you bike dogs!
My human was there in the Big Ride Place but didn't get to ride on her two wheels. She spent all her time dancing on two sticks. She wasn't happy, but I was: I got to ride!!

I was ready to go before everyone else here was.
IMG_0544.jpg

The drive in the big Four Wheel thing was long but I rode in my usual place in front of the long window and got to see all the neat wooded places and roads. We stopped and set up camp right alongside a river! It was cool and I wanted to run in the water but they wouldn't let me; they said I would float away.
IMG_9373.jpg

It sure was pretty underneath the big tall trees. Other two and four-wheels joined us on both sides.
IMG_9370.jpg

We all slept pretty good except for one night when three big giant birds called 'owls' talked back and forth in the trees over our cloth dens. Man, were they noisy and loud! They kept us awake and Tex told me I was running in my sleep that night. DRZ Lady said she wanted to throw something at them to shut them up.

In the morning, we all went to a place down the road where there was a sea of two-wheels!! All kinds! I looked at them to see if they had places for me to ride.
IMG_9368.jpg

Red Bike Rider secured me to the front of his two-wheels so I could get a good view and hoot and holler on the ride. Here I am ready to go!
IMG_0605.jpg

We met up with some other riders on two wheels with big weird eyes and that wore those funny hats. My human, Tex, has those when she rides on dirt roads, too. We all looked like a pack of Bike Rats!!

First we went on some gravel roads in the woods
IMG_0598.jpg

Then we went through lots of water!! It kinda made me want to pee but I was strapped in and couldn't get off.
IMG_0583.jpg

Once Red Rider thought he could swim on his two-wheels, but it doesn't know how to swim very good. So we ran through it and made the water go up in the air! I think the water was scared of us and it jumped up in the air trying to get away. But it got me all wet!!!!
IMG_0612.jpg

We stopped to dry off and watch all the others try to swim in that water, too.
IMG_0614.jpg

Our pack stopped to eat at some place in a den of humans. I had to sit outside while the humans ate inside, so I took a nap. We stopped again at one of those places where they feed their two-wheels. They push a piece of plastic into a metal tower then stick a hose into the top of their two-wheels. Those two-wheels are real quiet while they eat then they make all kinds of noise when the humans sit on them. Some of the humans touch a magic button to wake up their two-wheels, but other have to kick theirs to wake them up.

This is a picture of me and Fangs! He's cool; I mean, any human that has fangs is cool by me! I didn't get to see his fangs, but that's what they call him so they must be big! I mean, look at that big silver mouth! Makes me shiver; I was hoping he wouldn't eat me. Besides, he rides a red two-wheeler, too, just like me!! I wonder if those two red two-wheelers are brothers. Did they have the same mommy? I asked the big red bike but he wouldn't answer me. He sure was fast, though.
IMG_0594.jpg

Our pack of two-wheel rats rode some more gravel roads and those smooth hard roads, too, that were windy and fun. We stopped at some neat places where the ground and trees were way below us. Must be dangerous because fences kept us in. Maybe they thought we wanted to fly off the edges.
IMG_0577.jpg

We tried to swim in more water and once we saw this neat white bird. I wanted to chase it and I struggled to get free and run after it, but I couldn't get loose.
IMG_0590.jpg

My human drove herself and her sticks to a place with neat boxes that were very very old; some with all its pieces and others that fell apart. She has lots of good stories about that place. She would have gone nuts if she hadn't gone someplace.
FtMcKavettpan.jpg

When we got back everyone was hungry and tired. I was happy!!! AGAIN!!!!!
IMG_0615.jpg

Once, back at our camp, a two-wheeler rode in with a human on it and......Wow!!! That two-wheeler had feathers sticking out of it!!! One of its eyes was poked out and it was dirrrrrty, but....... Wow! It killed a giant bird! The human called it a 'turkey' and they all were amazed. The rider and his two-wheels were honored and called 'TurkeySlayer'. They're cool!
IMG_9382.jpg

One night my human made some stuff to eat in a black thing and called it cobbler. A bunch of other humans that rode their two-wheels were there visiting, sitting around the table. They ate the stuff out of the black thing and groaned and moaned. I guess it was good, but they wouldn't let me eat any. TurkeySlayer, Big Don and the others drank stuff out of glass and red cans while I sat on my human's lap.
IMG_9372.jpg

While sleeping in the big cloth den we were woken by water falling from the sky. My human grumbled and swore; she hates being on those big sticks. She asked me and the Buck Dog if she can borrow one of our four legs, but we said 'No'. It wasn't fair that she had only one leg and we had four. But our legs are too short for her anyway. Too bad she can't ride one of her two-wheels. She misses them a lot.

Somehow all the camping stuff was loaded into the big four-wheeler and the two two-wheelers rode on boards and metal that were on wheels behind us. Geez, they're lazy, aren't they?

On the way home we drove on some pretty roads and passed some big rats on four legs that only know one sound: "Moooooo!!!!" Dumb things...... We drove through a small but neat canyon where things grew out of the walls!!! Man, was it neat! My human was all excited and wants to go back there to ride through it and see it close up. She said it was like a magical canyon, but then she's starving for outdoor stuff anyway. Red Rider took a picture of it.
IMG_9604.jpg

More water fell from the sky and we drove through it, but we were dry. We passed a human all bundled up on two-wheels, riding in the falling water. We offered to give him a ride, put his two-wheels on the boards with the other so they could visit (I guess they don't mind falling water), but he told us he was going to stay in the falling water. I felt bad for him; I hate being in the falling water stuff. (my human doesn't mind, but she's nuts)

We stopped at a big den where they cook meat outside; I was droooling!! The humans went inside to eat some of that meat and I stayed out with the Buck Dog and two-wheels to nap.

We made it back to the place where lots of humans live packed together in boxes and we were tired. Red Rider and I had a good time. My humans didn't have as much fun as I did, but she was real happy to see old friends and fellow Desert Rats that she rides with, and meet new ones. She said next year she will ride, too. I'll get to ride with her next time on Sherpie! (Maybe I can go to Mexico with her, too :mrgreen: ).

Thanks, Mr. Richard for all the fun and chance to ride with everyone! See you all next time on the roads!
Wiley_wave.jpg

I wanted to post pics of our 2nd day ride group.
Patrice (green KLR) was on his first dualsport ride ever, and did great.
Our new friend, Randy, was game for anything on his red KLR.
I hope he sees his picture here.
I am the one on the spray painted green Husqvarna.
We had a great ride.
Don't ask me which trail the photos of the KLR's were taken on, because we haven't named it yet... hahaha.
vidpicPatrice.jpg

vidpicChadley.jpg

vidpicRandy.jpg

-Chadley

Friday Continued... post lunch...

:tab So there is talk among some riders of just back tracking the route from Leakey back to Junction and dropping off all the stuff Southeast of Leakey towards Utopia and Tarpley. The weather is looking a bit iffy. While we are gassing up the bikes it starts to drizzle pretty good. Well, I don't know about the others, but I don't get the chance to get out like this real often nowadays and I am here to RIDE! A few minutes of checking with everyone else and the entire group decides to keep going. We head East of out Leakey on 337 in a slight drizzle.

:tab I don't know how long it has been, but it seems like YEARS that 337 has been getting torn up, repaved, retorn up, repaved, etc,... It's no biggie on our bikes, but it would get old on street bikes. Fortunately, the road goes back to pavement at the start of the fun part of 337. Unfortunately, the road is wet. I work on being real smooth in the corners, with no sudden moves. The D606 knobbies are good on dry pavement, but I have not had much experience with them on wet pavement and am in no mood to test their limits :whatever:

:tab Just beyond the first section of good twisties, there is a straight section before the road has another twisty section. We are supposed to be looking for the Lower Sabinal River Road. Apparently Bruce does not see it and cruises right on by, heading into the next section of twisties. I pull over into some shade. The others see me pull over and follow suit. Surely Bruce will either realize there is no headlight behind him, or he'll reach Hwy 187 at Vanderpool and when no one shows up, he'll back track. Sure enough, a short while later I hear his KTM booming around a corner and he comes into view. Then we are off and running again!

:tab I will apologize for the complete lack of pictures on this road. It is just too much fun to stop and take pictures :mrgreen: It is not long at all before we roll into Utopia, cut through town and then head East on CR 354, which quickly becomes Seco Rd. Again, no pictures. This is a haul booty road :twisted: The curves are mostly fast sweepers with a small mix of tighter corners. The road bed is hard packed, smooth and wide. The dust is an issue somewhat so I have to let Bruce run pretty far ahead, not that this is a problem because I don't think I could keep up with him if I tried :lol2: The drizzle had long since stopped and the skies are starting to clear. A few times I see sunlight peeking through the breaking cloud cover. We eventually hit CR 211 and run East to FM 462 for a short run up to Tarpley.

We stop at Mac & Earnies and the General Store for a break and to decide on our route back.
IMG_3733.JPG

:tab The route in the book has us running pavement all the way back up to Hackberry Rd off of FM 335. It is not that the pavement is all that bad, but we are wanting to spend more time on dirt. So we opt to just head to Utopia on FM 470. FM 470 is fun just out of Tarpley, but soon becomes long straights. I had noticed two roads earlier that looked interesting, but I forgot to mention them to the group. There is the North Seco Creek Rd., that becomes Seco Springs Ranch Rd., and runs all way up to FM 337 according to the map. Then closer to Utopia there is the North Little Creek Rd., that also runs up to FM 337. Both look like they'd be a hoot. I guess we'll save them for another time though. We soon roll into Utopia and then hit the Lower Sabinal Rd., and run back towards FM 337.

At the river crossing.
IMG_3735.JPG

:tab Just up there road there are a bunch of women sitting all over the place doing paintings. I lead the way once we get going again and take it REAL slow so as to hopefully not kick up any dust. I'd feel pretty bad of we mucked up their paintings and got dirt in their paints. Once clear of them, we get back to business and soon reach FM 337 again.

:tab As part of our route back, we have decided not to back track Kent Creek Rd., and the section between 336 and 335. It is getting late and we need to start thinking about getting back to Junction. Instead, we decide to run 337 almost to Campwood and then look to see if we can connect two roads that run North of town and come out on the North side of town on Hwy 55. As we finish the fun and twisty climb out of Leakey on 337, I round a corner that brings back bad memories. It was here a few years ago that the final drive on my R1150GS decided to let go at 70mph while leaned over pretty good. Amazingly, the seat cover remained intact... :shock: The shaking was pretty violent because the wheel was flopping all around the hub and wobbling side to side. I got it pulled over, but it was not pretty...

Painful flashback...
DSC02619.JPG

To my knowledge, BMW has never admitted that there was a problem with the final drives for bikes built since 2001 :doh:

:tab So anyway... I blast around this corner on the KLR and quickly put the bad memories back where they belong. I start looking for our turn off, which will be Pinon Loop East. While we are waiting at the turn off for the whole group to catch up, a big truck turns in and gets ahead of us. Bruce is not convinced this road goes all the way through. My maps show that it does. We have time, so we decide to check it out anyway. A little ways down the road we catch up to the truck. I pull along side and motion for him to stop. He obliges and I ask him if he knows if Pinon Loop connects up with Dry Creek Rd., the West half of our loop. He says it does, but that it was gated off some time back. Bruce is right. I thank the truck driver and we back track to 377. It's a shame because the road was shaping up to be good fun :zen: We cruise on into Campwood on 337 and head North on Hwy 55 to the start of FM 335.

:tab We regroup again at the start of 335 and then head North. I decide to have some fun and pick up the pace a bit. The KLR is no crotch rocket, but it is still a real hoot in the twisties where top speed is not a concern. Even with the knobbies, it takes the corners quite nicely. Of course, I am not running stock suspension and that really helps :trust: Bruce slides in behind me and we enjoy the run up the start of Hackberry Rd. While waiting for the others to catch up, a truck we had passed earlier comes around the corner. As it clears the corner, the road straightens and Keith passes the truck unaware that he has reached the turn. As he goes blasting past us, we aren't real sure if he saw us because we don't hear him roll off the gas... So we wait a few moments, and then sure enough, we hear the sound of his DRZ thumping back up the road towards us :lol2:

:tab The latter part of the ride is always interesting. Early in the day, everyone is stopping a lot, taking pictures, and acting like they have all the time in the world. Later in the day, the stops and pictures become much less frequent. I have noticed this over the years on all manner of rides, street or dirt. In one respect, this is sad because it usually means a lot of good riding goes undocumented. On the other hand, it also means you get in some good riding because everyone really gets focused just on the riding. I find that I always begin to get in a reflective mood, thinking about what has happened earlier in the day. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think most of them slip into that "get home" mode. They're getting tired and just want to get back. So even though riding Hackberry Road North to South is totally different than running it South to North, I neglect to get many pictures.

The one place we did stop ;-) A dreaded bump gate...
IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

:tab You can't neglect to take bump gates seriously. They can be quite heavy, and once swinging, they have a LOT of momentum!! Trying to get through on someone else's bump can be risky. These gates can slap you off a bike in a hurry! However, our group has gotten quite proficient at the process and we can usually get everyone through on one bump by staging in front of the gate. Bruce uses the ground pounding power of the KTM to shove the gate wide and the rest of us quickly follow. Even when one of us cannot get through on the initial opening swing, by waiting, the gate will swing all the way open the opposite direction and we can often scoot through before it starts to close again. The safest thing is to just bump it yourself. It is not that hard and like I said, getting swatted off your bike won't be fun :-P

:tab The clouds have now all but vanished. The road that was damp this morning is now powder dry. I am bringing up the rear and the dust is pretty thick. In places it is like driving in a heavy fog. Nothing to do but slow down and let it clear. It's cool though because it makes me take it easy and I can really soak up the scenery and enjoy the longer shadows of the late afternoon. We do all the creek crossings again and catch up to a few other KLR riders at the last crossing on the North end of the road. I am the last across and a few of them are lingering. A quick check confirms everything is okay with them and then I am off after the others. We quickly reach Hwy 41 and now face pavement all the way back to Junction :sleep:

:tab At the junction of 41 and 377, Bruce takes off ahead of the group. Once the tail of the group reaches the intersection, I set off after him. With the 14 tooth front sprocket, running 75-80mph is going to kill my gas mileage :doh: Well, no worries since I am on a super tanker. Of course, it is going to eat the rear knobby too. I never do catch Bruce. However, there is one section where the road goes up a pretty good climb and there is a scenic overlook pullout. I blast up the hill and Bruce is there waiting with camera in hand. I just keep right on rolling. There are some fun 30 mph curves further up the road and I think I'll find a spot there to set up and catch everyone coming through. I also have to find a good bush... :twitch:

:tab I reach the curves, find a good spot to pull over, and quickly find a good bush!! Relieved I set to getting a good spot for shots. Then I sit and listen...

Chuck on his Yammie
IMG_3738.JPG

Keith on his DRZ 400
IMG_3739.JPG

Joe, Steve and Bruce
IMG_3740.JPG

Bruce
IMG_3741.JPG

:tab The others have pulled over just up the road. We regroup and head out for the last stretch into town. We swing by the Hills Hotel to see who has returned. Quite a few folks are back, standing around in the parking lot sharing stories. No horror stories of wild wipe outs are heard, always a good thing. So we head back over to the La Vista to kick back and relax a bit before deciding what to do for dinner.

Steve shows off his WHITE legs :lol2:
IMG_3742.JPG

Bruce enjoys a nice "special mix" drink ;-)
IMG_3743.JPG

:tab Eventually, we find ourselves head over to a little Bakery/Cafe place up the road on the advice of other riders. There are a few bikes parked out front and quite a few riders inside enjoying the food. We plop down at a table with the rest of the group and join in the story telling. The food is great! It's also amazingly inexpensive! It is not long before I hear a very familiar SE Texas twang... VFRHugh has arrived! :lol2:

Yes, I forgot the name of the guy on the left :doh: :oops: I think that is Leon in the middle and Hugh is on the right. He's a 16 year old squid trapped in a 60+ year old body :lol2: I've enjoyed his company on quite a few trips.
IMG_3744.JPG

:tab After more visiting and closing down the cafe, we head back to the hotel to cap off the evening with a few cold ones. With all the fun today and more to come tomorrow, we pack it in pretty early...10:30pm or so, about four hours earlier than my normal knock off time... :sleep:

Back