• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 KLR650 218 Miles $ ???

ta2240

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
A friend has one and is selling it, he has no idea what to ask for it, what are they going for??

Once he has an idea I will list it for him here.

A friend has one and is selling it, he has no idea what to ask for it, what are they going for??

Once he has an idea I will list it for him here.

Oh nobody really likes those,I will give him $500 for it just to help out.:rofl: NADA says $4060 but there are no adjustments for miles. Does he have any extras on it? That might help the asking price also. KP

On a more serious note....

Miles?
Extras?
Condition?
Clear title in current owners name or not?
Transferrable warranties?
Spare parts?
Pictures?
Ability or not to deliver?
Test rides?

All this is good 'stuff' for an advert here....

No extras, clear title, 218 miles. I knew what NADA was saying but I wanted to know from guys that either own or are around that bike. I am thinking he will take $4000, he wants it gone fast. I will know something tomorrow.

If anyone is interested PM me, here is a bad pic

IMG_75371_zps6db6d3b0.jpg

Low miles is good, but some are turned off by a bike that has just sat. I sold one 2 months ago for 3100 had about 900 in extras, 14k.....

I think 4k would give someone some pause but anything in the 3 range will be a good deal. Biggest thing on condition is the carb jacked from sitting with gas in it?

I would take $3900 for my '09 with 6800 miles and some quality farkles, not that it's for sale. Low to mid $3's would likely sell his quickly.

I would take $3900 for my '09 with 6800 miles and some quality farkles, not that it's for sale. Low to mid $3's would likely sell his quickly.

I agree with the low 3s. When I was looking for a bike, both the KLR and DR were selling in the mid 3s to mid 4s. The mid 4s no matter the miles were done up, plates, bars, bags. The bikes that sold for 3s were stock and plain. I'd put 3800 obo and take no less than 3650. Maybe have him get it tuned up.

That low miles on a 5 year old bike is more bad than good for a lot of buyers. I think dualsportvet hit the nail on the head with the fair price range. $3500 would move it fairly quickly.

That low miles on a 5 year old bike is more bad than good for a lot of buyers. I think dualsportvet hit the nail on the head with the fair price range. $3500 would move it fairly quickly.

I concur on the price and the concerns.

I would be concerned about, among other things, gasoline problems if the bike wasn't properly mothballed.

In 2009 I bought a 2006 with 700 miles from a dealer. Other than being a lovely pink color, the bike had zero issues. I was in a big hurry to prep it for a Mexico trip with Hardy and the nephews and paid $3700.

In 2009 I bought a 2006 with 700 miles from a dealer. Other than being a lovely pink color, the bike had zero issues. I was in a big hurry to prep it for a Mexico trip with Hardy and the nephews and paid $3700.

Is that the same bike you ride now?

Yup. I never sell anything. I just bury it on the ranch when it finally and forever dies. ;)

I wouldn't reduce the price because some people may be concerned about old gas. It should be based on how it runs. Even if the bike runs great, some people will still try fishing for a discount using this classic.

That said, new gas will probably make it run better than what's in it. A fresh tank of easily fireable winter blend would be better than the current high octane leftovers.

It's not the gas that would shy me away, but the build up in side the carb and petcock from the gas. That's way bikes sell for cheap when they don't have any miles on them and are several yrs old. A good owner would buy it and then tear it down and clean it.

You figure it's a 5 yr old bike. You can buy new bikes for 6500. When I was looking for a bike I figured why buy a used bike that may or may not have been taken care of all to save 1 or 2 grand. Payments are cheap, rates are low.

3600 is a fair price for a stock bike that's set up and 5 yrs old. IMHO! That said, I'm not the one selling it either. The owner might feel different.

If the carb is trashed from the fuel we have now ,

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-15003-0118.html?gclid=CP7a3tnBl7wCFQxo7Aod3FIAfQ

this is the best price I could find for a carb , so if you did stick to your price of 3500 , add the carb 400.00 , labor , ??????? even if its your own , clean and flush tank , labor ?????
lube all cables from sitting , labor ?????

To me , It looks likes it going well over the 4k mark .

This is Just my .02

My opinion would be take 3k and run , you don't have to worry about it no more and hopefully the buyer will be happy after its all said and done .

If the carb is trashed from the fuel we have now

If the carb is trashed, you'll know it because the bike runs poorly. If it runs well, you're speculating on future damages. If you want to speculate on all the possible things that could go wrong with a bike, you probably shouldn't be buying a used one.

Even though i don't care for the KLR, he should probably just give it to me. I won't make him pay me to take it. After all, it's probably going to need a carb. Plus the tank needs to be flushed, the petcock needs to be cleaned, and the fuel lines replaced. The tires probably have flat spots and have to be replaced. They're 5 years old anyways so the tubes should be changed. It's also going to need an oil change because that's so old. The clutch plates are probably all dried up so the bike will never shift right. Add those to the list. The forks seals are probably all dried up as well, so add a fork job. KLR is liquid cooled, so add a coolant flush and brake fluid one, too. If it's got a paper air filter, that should be changed because it's probably brittle by now. The first service is coming up soon, and that's very expensive. Gotta have them check those valves and stuff. Gosh, i hope the valve gasket aren't dried up and starts leaking. I wonder how much that will cost to fix. How is the battery anyways? Nevermind, i'll just replace it. It's old.

I dunno now. It's going to cost me a fortune just to make the bike rideable. Maybe if it were a DR or an XRL... Ya, go ahead an have him bring it on over anyways. I wouldn't mind a restoration project right now. It'll keep me busy.

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More
irony;
cynicism
Example: Even though i don't care for the KLR, he should probably just give it to me. I won't make him pay me to take it. After all, it's probably going to need a carb. Plus the tank needs to be flushed, the petcock needs to be cleaned, and the fuel lines replaced. The tires probably have flat spots and have to be replaced. They're 5 years old anyways so the tubes should be changed. It's also going to need an oil change because that's so old. The clutch plates are probably all dried up so the bike will never shift right. Add those to the list. The forks seals are probably all dried up as well, so add a fork job. KLR is liquid cooled, so add a coolant flush and brake fluid one, too. If it's got a paper air filter, that should be changed because it's probably brittle by now. The first service is coming up soon, and that's very expensive. Gotta have them check those valves and stuff. Gosh, i hope the valve gasket aren't dried up and starts leaking. I wonder how much that will cost to fix. How is the battery anyways? Nevermind, i'll just replace it. It's old.

I dunno now. It's going to cost me a fortune just to make the bike rideable. Maybe if it were a DR or an XRL... Ya, go ahead an have him bring it on over anyways. I wouldn't mind a restoration project right now. It'll keep me busy.
:giveup:

The bike very well maybe a great bike. I was just pointing out what I was thinking when I was in the buying state. The way I thought and what I was dealing with. End the end, you are right. If that's what you are worried about don't buy used. Because I couldn't find a bike that I thought was a deal I didn't. Unless I could find one for under 3 I figured I'd just buy new and not have to deal with any of the what if's. Now if I would have seen a bike like this for 3500 I would have offered 3 and then hoped to meet in the middle and I'd be riding a KLR right now. But I'm glad I didn't. Because I'm really liking the DR.:rider:

Rather than getting a case of axle wrap about the gas, just dump a couple bottles of Techron in it and go ride.
Everything will be OK.

+1 on the Techron. Bought plenty of low mileage carbed bikes where Techron or Seafoam took care of it.

AND, this is a KLR - Case in point - I put my carb together wrong (too much cerveza) after doing the .22 cent mod. and drilling the slide. It still ran, not well, but it ran....It's a KLR:rider:.

Looks like seller traded in the bike for much much less than $4K or else has it on consignment and will get much less than $4K. Maybe reduced price due to extra use as now at 219 miles, haha. So for anyone here that was actually interested in the bike instead of debating price a lower ~$3K offer would have surely taken it home.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/4310331134.html

Here is a brand spanking new 2013 with factory warranty and zero miles for $5,499
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/4297973447.html

_

Back