• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride registration now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally snuck the checkbook out of my wife's purse so I sent my registration in yesterday.

I'll have my v-twin KLR killer along.

Richard_,
Can I paypal you bux and email you the form? I'll add $5 to cover Paypal costs. Believe it or not I do not have a paper checkbook anymore, and getting a money order is a pain for me, etc, etc. If it's not OK, then I'll make the drive to the Post Office, though.

Sounds like a great time.

Richard_,
Can I paypal you bux and email you the form? I'll add $5 to cover Paypal costs. Believe it or not I do not have a paper checkbook anymore, and getting a money order is a pain for me, etc, etc. If it's not OK, then I'll make the drive to the Post Office, though.

Sounds like a great time.

Sure. Paypal me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com

I am a newcomer to TWTEX. I am hoping to be able to tag along for this ride. I look forward to meeting some fellow riders. What is the availability like for hotel rooms since it seems alot of riders will show up? I'm not familiar with the Junction area at all. Looks like it will be a great time though.

I am a newcomer to TWTEX. I am hoping to be able to tag along for this ride. I look forward to meeting some fellow riders. What is the availability like for hotel rooms since it seems alot of riders will show up? I'm not familiar with the Junction area at all. Looks like it will be a great time though.

I was told by the tourism center that there are about 500 hotel/motel rooms in the Junction area. The less expensive motels on main street (especially those closest to ride HQ) fill up fairly early, but many more rooms are available out on the interstate. The ride guide you get when you register includes all the hotels/motels in the area and phone numbers so you can make reservations early.

Last edited:
Thanks,,I will try and get my registration in asap. I haven't been on an overnighter since aug of this year and I'm starting to get a little stir-crazy. Even though its 4 months away,,,its something to look forward to.

How do people decide who to ride with and which routes?

Is there a already set ride group when we get there?

I mail a ride guide to everyone who pre-registers for TAR. The ride guide includes 15 different routes for you to choose from, with information about each route such as directions, description, rating, notes, distance, etc.

Each morning there is an optional riders meeting, which is where riders can link up with others who want to ride the same route that day.

Richard,

I haven't done this event before, but I look forward to the 09 TAR.

In general and based on the roads included in your routes, would it be better to bring the Big Blue Pig (DR650) or the Orange Monster (525EXC) or both (both have tags)?:rider:

Richard,

I haven't done this event before, but I look forward to the 09 TAR.

In general and based on the roads included in your routes, would it be better to bring the Big Blue Pig (DR650) or the Orange Monster (525EXC) or both (both have tags)?:rider:

The Big Blue Pig (assuming it is the more comfortable of the 2 bikes).

There are a bunch of class 2 roads to choose from but only class 3 road. A DR650 can easily handle any of the class 2 roads and with a rider with just average off-road skill will also be okay on the class 3 road (if you chose to do that route). So, the DR can handle any of the dirt roads and will likely be more comfortable with all the unavoidable pavement on all the routes.

You could bring the 525EXC to MexTrek (the Mexico adventure ride I organize) in Oct., especially if you are going to trailer it all or most of the way to Galeana. There is a bunch of class 3+ stuff there you could go play on that your Orange Monster will love.

I tried to cut n paste in a pic of the pig, but maybe I attached to this post instead. I think she maybe the best bike for the TAR

Attachments

• DSC00101-640x480.jpg
    DSC00101-640x480.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 226
I tried to cut n paste in a pic of the pig, but maybe I attached to this post instead. I think she maybe the best bike for the TAR

If you really, really want to bring the Orange Monster, then feel free to bring your DR too and I'll ride it for you. :lol2:

Just kidding...

How do people decide who to ride with and which routes?

What Richard said, but also - keep your eye on this thread and any others that pop up about the event. See if people you've ridden with before (Piglet, DocBB, CrZ, etc.) sign up and then see about forming a group with people you know. If not, see what others are saying about the bike(s) they are bringing and what kind of riding they like and then shoot a PM here or there to see who they are thinking of riding with and whether the are comfortable having another rider tag along. Be honest about your experience and skill level when tagging along with strangers so they don't get you in over your head, but otherwise just enjoy making new friends. ;-)

I won't know for a while if I can make this, but it's always been one of those events that I *want* to get to but have never been able to work into the schedule.

Richard my check is in the mail. There are going to be 8 or 10 LTRs this year. :rider:

Squeaky look out Irondawg is one of them. :rofl:

Irondawg's coming? Not a good sign. He and I haven't ridden together for years. For some reason we never seem to make the same rides. I wonder what's going to happen this time to one of us?

Richard my check is in the mail. There are going to be 8 or 10 LTRs this year. :rider:

Squeaky look out Irondawg is one of them. :rofl:

The LTRs are always welcome at any of my events. I love the spirit of adventure you guys all have.

Irondawg, don't knock Rusty out of TAR. He's giving a GPS class during TAR so we really need him to be there.

Better book a room early!!!! only singles left at the Legends, Hills had a couple of doubles if you don't mind smoking Lazy T still had non smoking doubles whem I booked mine ( 40 bucks a nite )

Dear Dual Sport Czar of the TAR:

"the check is in the mail"

.....check + registration form mailed today.:-P

I'm in. The check is in the mail and reservations made at Lazy T.

I will be riding a DRZ400S, I ride it a Czars and have taken to outback of Big Bend just last year, been riding for 20 plus years but at 42 I have learned to not ride over my head or I will end up on my head. I have not attended a TAR yet so this will be my first year as well, I plan to do the level 2 riding and maybe some of the level 3 as well as time permits, I live near Seguin so Junction isn't too far away...well...maybe a little with a stock DRZ seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back