• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride registration now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Registration is now open for the 2009 Texas Adventure Ride (TAR). You can download the registration form here.

2009 TAR is April 2 - 5, 2009 (Thursday evening through Sunday morning), in Junction, TX.

The cost of early registration is $50. All riders who early register will receive a 52 page, spiral bound, 2009 Ride Guide, a 2009 TAR commemorative t-shirt, and entry into the Saturday night banquet. Ride guides will be mailed to registered riders. T-shirts and banquet tickets will be given out at the event. (Note that the banquet is now included with early registration.)

Early registration ends March 19, 2009 so I have sufficient time to mail the ride guide to you and for you to receive it before the event.

On-site registration is $25 and will be done on Thursday evening, the first day of the event, and includes the banquet only. T-shirts and ride guides may be purchased separately, depending on availability. I will bring a few extra t-shirts and ride guides but make no guarantee that if you wait to register on-site that you will receive one.

More information about TAR can be found here.

Last edited:
Richard,

Will there be a GPS file available for registered riders like last year ?

Richard,

Will there be a GPS file available for registered riders like last year ?

Yes.

I added 2 more routes for this year, bringing the total to 15 routes and GPS files are available for all of them.

Additionally, I've plotted out all 15 routes in Google maps, so those who don't have a GPS can print the routes via Google Maps.

Instructions for downloading the GPS or Google maps are included in the 2009 Ride Guide.

how many bikes usally show up for this event. I am prolly going to do this ride. sounds like a goood time to me.

how many bikes usally show up for this event. I am prolly going to do this ride. sounds like a goood time to me.

I expect to have somewhere close to 300 attendees this year. Last year there were 225.

I hope you can attend. I think this event is a blast, but, then again, I'm probably a bit biased.

Last edited:
Rick M and Big A are in and have sent forms to you with a money order for both.

I really want to do this but I ride a 1150GS and most of the bikes I am seeing and hear about are smaller more dirt oriented. I do fireroads but that is about the limit so far. Your thoughts??

I really want to do this but I ride a 1150GS and most of the bikes I am seeing and hear about are smaller more dirt oriented. I do fireroads but that is about the limit so far. Your thoughts??

ghollaba,

Your 1150GS will be fine for this ride - there are quite a few routes suitable to your GS to choose from and there will be others to ride with. Every year there are significant a number of the big GS bikes in attendance, along with every other adventure bike you can think of.

I classify non-paved roads into 4 categories, with 1 being the easiest and 4 being the hardest. Using that classification, I rate each of the 15 routes to help riders select a route that is suitable for their bike's capabilities, the rider's skills, and the rider's riding preferences. Most of the routes are class 1 or 2 and can be ridden on any adventure bike by a rider of average skill.

In summary - your 1150GS will be fine for TAR. Hope you can make it out.

I rode my DL1000 last year and had a blast. There are plenty of roads to choose from.

BTW - A big GS bike bike comes in real handy for the bumop gates :rider:

I did the various TAR routes last year during several brisk February days. I rode the V-Strom with no problems. One tip is to drop 10 pounds from the front tire and 15 PSI from the rear and you will be able to hang with most people. Just remember to air them back up to OEM settings when getting back on the slab for extended riding.

You can go a little farther in the traction department by throwing on the front a TKC80 dual sport tyre by Continental. The semi-knobby tyres last a long-time even on highway.

cont_tkc80_frnt.gif

icon_clap.gif

Good stuff!

You can go a little farther in the traction department by throwing on the front a TKC80 dual sport tyre by Continental. The semi-knobby tyres last a long-time even on highway.

cont_tkc80_frnt.gif

icon_clap.gif

Good stuff!

Is this a tubeless tire? I have a 2005 DL-1000 and have always been warned about mixing tires. I recently switched to the BS Battle-wings for commuting. This tire has a very generous 90/10% rating. This sounds like a great weekend. Has anyone run 377 from Benbrook to Junction? Would it be a decent ride from Denton for a guy with mixed tires? :rider:

Is this a tubeless tire? I have a 2005 DL-1000 and have always been warned about mixing tires. I recently switched to the BS Battle-wings for commuting. This tire has a very generous 90/10% rating. This sounds like a great weekend. Has anyone run 377 from Benbrook to Junction? Would it be a decent ride from Denton for a guy with mixed tires? :rider:

Yes, it is tubeless tyre.

Many people on here use it only on the front with excellent results on the DL1000 and the 650. One chap, rode on a long trip of 8,000 miles this summer so it works well on different type of surfaces. The manufacturer recommends not exceeding 100 MPH for very long but really the tyre is used heavily by the BMG GS1200 crowd for a versatile grip.

FYI, when your back Battle-Ax wears out, you might try a Metzler Tourance or Michelin Anakee which provide better traction off-road than the Battle-Ax but still provide excellent traction on the highway.

John Boy

2008 TAR, Pandale Rd., Langtry Ride
2007 TAR Old Junction Rd Ride

Attachments

• KTM Splash '07 sm.jpg
    KTM Splash '07 sm.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,726
  • Sat. Pandale Rd.jpg
    Sat. Pandale Rd.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 294
Is this a tubeless tire?

Yes. I run it tubeless on my Wee and with tubes on my KLR. Great tire.

I have...have always been warned about mixing tires.

I've been running mixed tires for years with no problems. I like to run a knobby tire on front and a dual sport tire on the back. The knobby front tire gives improved grip on dirt and the dual sport tire on back gives longer life. I've settled on a TKC80 on the front and a Metzler Tourance in back for my Wee. This has been a great combination for the riding I do.

Last edited:
Has anyone run 377 from Benbrook to Junction? Would it be a decent ride from Denton for a guy with mixed tires? :rider:

I rode from Granbury to Junction last year on 377... left about noon and got there about 4-ish. Nice easy ride on blacktop all the way.

As to the issue of riding an 1150 GS for the dual sport rides, shouldn't be an issue - I ride an 1100GS and the dual sport roads were easy on the big pig. Could have ridden some tougher routes and will do so this time.

You'll enjoy the weekend for sure

Rich,

Just mailed off my registration.

Only because I want to park my KLR next to Rick's and see whose is more Bad *** :eek2:

Bob :sun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope TricePilot wont be too disappointed when we get to TAR and everyone likes my KLR better, hope he will still be my friend . I worry about things like that . NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT:rofl: :rofl: :lol2:

Hope TricePilot wont be too disappointed when we get to TAR and everyone likes my KLR better

That will probably happen, because mine is in so many pieces right now that by the time I get it back together, it will be a completely different bike :lol2:

431853610_jAQyB-S.gif

Bob :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back