• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride registration now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how crazy would I be if I sold my KLR and bought a DR650 a week before the TAR? :) I took the KLR on MoPac today and confirmed a very noticeable surging at highway speeds... not to mention knocking under accel. I'm just not sure how far I trust the war horse. It's been good to me and it rides fine at communting (for me) speeds... But on long slab it surges and when I get on rougher class II it really wears me out.

Just trying to justify I suppose...

J

Had this happen to my at Uncles Ride in Big Bend. Really, really bad surging after a couple of hours of Highways. Pulled the Carb but could not find anything wrong with it, put the bike back together and its ran like a champ ever since, well until I typed this :doh:

Hmmm I wonder if I'm sucking air somewhere... if you can take the carb off and on and fix it, it almost sounds like something is up with the installation itself.

That said, I think my KLR has had a tough life. At least one of the PO's didn't treat it well, and I'm just not sure how far I trust it. I've always liked the DRs as a somewhat "dirtier" version of the KLR. :trust:

J

$200 for three nights??? Criminy... Cancel and get one at Sun Valley?

Sun Valley is booked, as are pretty much all the hotels in town. I just got the last Double Queen Non Smoking at the Best Western and it is $280 for three nights! I really need to stop waiting until the last minute to get a room and do it the minute Richard announces the dates :doh:

I stayed at the La Vista last year. It is a bit of a dive, but doable for the $40/night price we paid. However, in August, nearly four months after we were there, a charge shows up on my credit card for the original amount. When we got to looking at past statements, we also found a charge for $400 dated the weekend AFTER we had been there. All this was in addition to the original charge. That lady got fired. The owner did eventually make it all right sometime around January. I'd stay there again just because it is a convenient location, but I'd pay cash this time ;-)

I'm at the la vista this year, mainly because the room was decent sized and we were going to have a couple of folks per room. I know we tried to put a cot in a Sun Valley room last year so they wouldn't have to share a bed, but had to re-arrange a little and it was tight.

I will be cancelling my reservation at Sun Valley this evening as I will not be able to make the event.
Was sure looking forward ti this gig for sure.
There will be others.........

Ron

I will repost as soon as I get it cancelled. Stay tuned!!

No answer on the motel phones. Looks like this may have to be done during business hours. I will try again in the morning.

Ron

Hi, Richard,

Sending the application form and the check tomorrow.
Count me in for early registration group.

Thanks!
Ken

Richard,

Had a blast last year. The check is in the mail.
Thanks for all you do.

Mike

Hello Richard,

Count me in for the early registration.
Looking forward to my first event.

Dave

:tab Right now, I have no one else trailering out with me from Huntsville. It would be nice to share the ride with someone even if I have to pick them up on the way.

:tab Also, I have a room at the Best Western with two queens, non smoking. It is about $280 (with tax included) for the three nights. It would be nice to split this with someone if possible. I am a moderate snorer according to my wife, both in terms of volume and frequency. Typically I snore for a while early each morning :shrug: It doesn't wake me up so how bad could it be :trust: I wear ear plugs when sharing a room. So unless you snore like Irondawg or Wasabi, I am good :shock:

:tab Right now, I have no one else trailering out with me from Huntsville. It would be nice to share the ride with someone even if I have to pick them up on the way.

:tab Also, I have a room at the Best Western with two queens, non smoking. It is about $280 (with tax included) for the three nights. It would be nice to split this with someone if possible. I am a moderate snorer according to my wife, both in terms of volume and frequency. Typically I snore for a while early each morning :shrug: It doesn't wake me up so how bad could it be :trust: I wear ear plugs when sharing a room. So unless you snore like Irondawg or Wasabi, I am good :shock:

Hi, Scott,

I would like to take the deal.
Any chance you to pick me up somewhere around Brookshire?

Thanks!
Ken

Hi, Scott,

I would like to take the deal.
Any chance you to pick me up somewhere around Brookshire?

Thanks!
Ken

Brookshire is not quite on the way for me ;-) It is about a 70 mile detour each way. However, if you could get up to Brenham and meet me there, that is not too much out of the way for me. I plan to leave here at 8:00am Thursday morning. That should put me in Brenham about 9:30am. I don't know of any place where you might leave a truck for the weekend though :shrug: You could ride up, but you'd have to get everything packed on your bike.

I just got a room at Sun Valley. He said they have a couple available.

Two weeks till FunTime! What's the headcount so far, Fearless Leader?

140 as of yesterday.

Headcount is down from last year but up from 2 years ago. Perhaps the economy is keeping some riders away this year?

I know of a couple that are planning to register on-site. I think they are hedging their bets in case a financial challenge pops up. Which I understand completely.

BTW, I was driving around up by Colorado Bend SP, San Saba and the Regency Suspension bridge area. There were some Blue Bonnets out, but not a lot. What's the prediction for down around Junction?

Last year the Sun Valley was around $28 a night for the room I had. I think. anyway, expect around $30-$35. Very good location, right across from Isac's restaurant and the ride hq.

Okay, I got a room at the Sun Valley. It took a LONG time to get through to them. Either the phone was always busy or, when I did get through, it rang and rang a long time before someone finally answered! I got a room with two beds, non smoking, for $39/night as compared to the $90/night at the Best Western :eek2: I just hope they have decent parking space because I expect there will be a lot of trucks with trailers there. If there is someone in town with a good place to let people put trailers for the weekend for a small fee, they could make some nice $$ for a weekend ;-)

Anyone planning to ride all the way from Houston area to Junction? I have not made up my mind yet but have been thinking about riding.

How much are they charging?

$39 for me also. I actually already had a room at the Days Inn for $52 per night that I cancelled today. I am coming down Friday and leaving Sunday.

Richard,
I plan to just register on site, just in case I have to cancell.

I will be trailering down Friday afternoon from Fort Worth. Anyone who wants trailer space and wants to chip in for gas is welcome.

Oooh!! Can't wait!! I have been looking forward to this ride all year!

Richard, I don't think my guys have sent in their early registration either. So there may be an additional 3 registering onsite.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!!!!

Oooh!! Can't wait!! I have been looking forward to this ride all year!

Richard, I don't think my guys have sent in their early registration either. So there may be an additional 3 registering onsite.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!!!!

No worries. I'm bringing a few additional ride guides and t-shirts. Hopefully I will have enough for everyone who wasn't able to register early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back