• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride Report

WoodButcher

Admin
Just to get things started. I haven't uploaded my pictures yet.

Went from windy and cold to hot and dry, then back to cold and windy. Lots of fun.

Richard thanks to you and Connie and every one else that helped out, was a great weekend of riding, and seeing friends from last year.Thanks for putting on a first class event:clap: :clap:looking forward to our next ride:rider:

Rusty you missed a great ride back. Tom planned us a cool route and with the assist from DirtBikeDave and Primate we had an absolutely great ride back, despite the crazy wind at the end. Some of those roads between Junction and Fredericksburg were made for carving... little perfect one lane paved tracks running by mid 1800's mills and farm houses. It was incredible. I'll get some pictures up but none of the roads on the way back themselves, we were having too much fun. Thanks a bunch for the great ride out and you and Scott leading those giant first day groups!

Justin

It was a great time had by all. Thanks to Richard and Connie and everyone else that helped make it happen. Another great weekend adventure. YAHOO!!!!!:clap:
NOW LET'S SEE THOSE PICTURES!

Last edited:
Had an excellent time!! Learned a ton for my first dual sport adventure. For the gents that rode back with me to Austin. Glad you liked the route.

I'm going to have to hit a couple of you up for pics since my camera went bad. Can't wait to do it again!! :rider:

Cleanest my bike looked the whole trip!!
IMG_3135.jpg

Stonehenge II
IMG_3143.jpg

Kawasaki Justin doing a water crossing. Totally got soaked. 8-)
IMG_3169.jpg

Definitely getting a bigger tank so I don't have to haul around that gas can again.
IMG_3173.jpg

One of my favorite, memorable events was witnessing the matador and hearing Clayton on my right talking to himself saying, "Oh, don't do that... OH NO, DON'T DO THAT!!" and then tearing off to be the rodeo clown!! :rofl:

WHAT A BLAST!!! Wasn't planning on Arkansas but I just might have to add it to my schedule. First Mexico, now Junction...don't know how I could ever miss another ride hosted by Richard, Scott, Connie and the many other TWT that make these possible. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now...how do I get signed up for the recon team???

OK, first cut at pics up on Facebook. Hopefully this link works. Too all of you who told me your names multiple times and who I've still managed to forget, I'm so sorry. What a great time. Now back to reality...

Or maybe not quite yet... :)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2011716&id=1136593255&l=0f23b6faf5
Pics look awesome!! I'm glad someone's camera was still working. I wish I had a helmet cam since there were so many shots that would have looked awesome when I was riding.

a few cell phone photos
TJ that is a nice XRL, glad I could help with adding bold new graphics :lol2:
Thanks for the swap. You know, Honda's are suppose to be red. :trust:

Enjoyed rooming with you. I like low maintenance, can sleep through my snoring. :lol2:

Here is that thread I was telling you about that is all XR650L owners. I learned a ton from a couple of these guys.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114834

Mer

Wow...AWESOME pictures!! I felt like I was right there with you! Glad you guys had such a great time even if it was so windy it bent that tree right over! HA! Thanks for sharing.

Katy......................... Cell# 832-72
Another "TAR" for the history Books...........
Great weekend Richard, Thanks for the time an effort that went into this.
Don't have many pics this trip.....Seen one "Texas Gravel Road" seen them all........Do have some pics of a "Swimming Hole" I found.........Sat turned into a warm day. Just when we were looking for some shade, ran across a river crossing that had a cold, clear, 12-15ft deep oasis with a beach and cliffs......Was getting ready to get wet when out of the hills comes some more of those blasted "Dual-Sportin City Slickers"........Wave them on over and everyone gets wet..........

Wow what made the KLR blow oil?

Nice garage BTW... sweet...

Trying to figure out how to post videos and not having much luck. That will have to wait.

T

TJ1776

The Husky TE610 during its maiden adventure ride at TAR 2009. Here's the left side, Rick! ;-)
DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1533.jpg

One of the locals sounds off!
DSCN1549.jpg

One of the locals in the greeting party.
DSCN1568.jpg

Had an excellent time!! Learned a ton for my first dual sport adventure. For the gents that rode back with me to Austin. Glad you liked the route.

One of my favorite, memorable events was witnessing the matador and hearing Clayton on my right talking to himself saying, "Oh, don't do that... OH NO, DON'T DO THAT!!" and then tearing off to be the rodeo clown!! :rofl:
This Photo says it all:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=339103&id=1385152166#/photo.php?pid=339103&id=1385152166

Thanks everyone! That was a lot of fun! Total miles on the KLX was 802! I have a few photos...will get them up soon.

Another "TAR" for the history Books...........
Great weekend Richard, Thanks for the time an effort that went into this.
Don't have many pics this trip.....Seen one "Texas Gravel Road" seen them all........Do have some pics of a "Swimming Hole" I found.........Sat turned into a warm day. Just when we were looking for some shade, ran across a river crossing that had a cold, clear, 12-15ft deep oasis with a beach and cliffs......Was getting ready to get wet when out of the hills comes some more of those blasted "Dual-Sportin City Slickers"........Wave them on over and everyone gets wet..........

I'm glad you guys didn't take a dip like the dudes in the movie "Wild Hogs" :eek2:

that does look like a nice stop for a hot day though

The only computer I have is at work, and have a com issue today so I can't download pics.:doh:I also can't go to facebook or Utube and stuff like that either.:argh:I would like to thank Richard for the event, the ride out, and the ride Friday. I had a great ride with him and Dirtbike Dave, (wore ALL of my chicken strips off ).:rider:I also want to thank Scott for a great ride Saturday with PinkLloyd providing the entertainment.:lol2:Lastly I want to thank Tom (TJRockit) for a blast on the way home, I really wasn't looking forward to a slab ride back, and he picked the perfect route.:clap:What a fantastic weekend.

WoodButcher

Admin
802 miles? That's impressive Justin. My miles per day went down steadily each day. 271, 200, 85, 0 (trailered home instead of riding). By the last day I just didn't want to face winds like I did on the way out and Clayton had space on the trailer. So I decided to be a passenger.

Last edited:
We got home last night and watched the movies and viewed the pics, Had a great time riding 2 up with my daugter Lucy. Met some great people and rode with a group (2) from Del Rio and (1) from San Antone who did a great job maping our routes and leading the way. What a great trip. Thanks Richard and Connie and all the rest we really engoyed the event.

802 miles? That's impressive Justin. My miles per day went down steadily each day. 271, 200, 85, 0 (trailered home instead of riding). By the last day I just didn't want to face winds like I did on the way out and Clayton had space on the trailer. So I decided to be a passenger.
I ended up with 1010, Dirtbike Dave lives a few more miles down the road. Butt did get tired by the end of the day, butt feels fine today.:sun:

WoodButcher

Admin
Well, je2000 (Justin) has a stock MX like seat on his KLX 250. That and he rode out there and back from Bastrop on the two windiest days of the event. I'm surprised he didn't go flying off like a kite.

Howdy folks -

The Facebook album link I posted should work for anybody, I send them all the time. Not sure why it would be asking for an account. I'll move them to Smugmug tonight and try again.

(now)Suzuki Justin

I wasn't bragging, just a statement. I figured some other folks would chime in. We saw Justin ride by in Fredricksburg when we were gassing up, we wanted to pick him up in our group, but missed him.

WoodButcher

Admin
Oh no, didn't mean to imply it that John. The Transalp has a corbin seat and I had no rear problems. My DRZ had a stock seat and I could hardly walk after a 200 mile day on that. I was just impressed he could sit that much on the KLX seat.

Since I wimped out and trailered home, all you guys have my admiration.

Many superlatives and some expletives can't describe just how much fun it was.

Thank you Richard and thank you to all the sponsors! :rider:

I am so glad you all are posting photos! The guys I ride with ride so fast there is little time for the photo shoot. I am especially happy that SanderJavant even stopped to take pictures of my group! Thanks a million!!

I wasn't bragging, just a statement. I figured some other folks would chime in. We saw Justin ride by in Fredricksburg when we were gassing up, we wanted to pick him up in our group, but missed him.
I was in a bit of a frozen zone and didn't want to stop. 4 blocks later I saw a sign that said "beer", and I stopped. Warmed up for an hour or so, checked out some fu-fu shops, gassed up and left. The ride back was a lot better, not too windy and I knew what to expect as far as distances between civilization.

Hi, All,
It was great great ride!! I also enjoyed meeting up my old riding buddies and new folks there.

Thanks Richard for organizing the event.
Thanks Scott for the haul.

Here are some of my random pics.
Thanks!
Ken

DSCF3924.jpg

DSCF3931.jpg

DSCF3933.jpg

DSCF3958.jpg

DSCF3956.jpg

DSCF3965.jpg

DSCF3972.jpg

DSCF3976.jpg

DSCF3985.jpg

DSCF3988.jpg

DSCF3993.jpg

DSCF4016.jpg

DSCF4023.jpg

DSCF4028.jpg

DSCF4035.jpg

DSCF4098.jpg

DSCF4094.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Ken (TxDR). I was hoping someone in our group got pictures of the water crossings. Especially when I blasted by James on the first crossing. I know someone has me stalled out in shin deep water at about the third crossing.
It was great meeting you and I enjoy our ride.
Martin

Thanks so much to Richard, Connie, Rusty (great GPS seminar) and Scott for all your hard work putting this ride together. The ride book and GPS links made it that much more enjoyable. I had a great time, explored new roads and met some new friends. The banquet and door prizes were not too shabby either!!! I'm already planning on attending next year!

Here's the rest of my pics -

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570853681XFThAJ

Between a Rock and a weird place, Pflugerville, TX
Thanks so much to Richard, Connie, Rusty (great GPS seminar) and Scott for all your hard work putting this ride together. The ride book and GPS links made it that much more enjoyable. I had a great time, explored new roads and met some new friends. The banquet and door prizes were not too shabby either!!! I'm already planning on attending next year!
Here's my pics -
Walt

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570853681XFThAJ
Some real nice photos. Thanks for linking to an accessible site. ;-)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab Just for the record, I did not help put this event together. I was Richard and Connie that did all the work, and a fine job they did too!! :clap: I just came along to play and paid like everyone else :trust: It was well worth it and I had a great time! The second day's riding was really good even though much of the route was created on the fly...

I can't get pictures to post like you guys. I can only do attachments. How do you do it Texas DR? Or anyone else.

I can't get pictures to post like you guys. I can only do attachments. How do you do it Texas DR? Or anyone else.
You have to have the pics hosted somewhere, like photobucket:
http://www.photobucket.com/

The image will have a direct link. Here's one of mine.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/tjrockit/IMG_3135.jpg

Then you put these tags around the photo:

And you'll see your picture.

To do multiple pics you have to put the tags around each pic. For example:

Hope that helps. ;-)

Hi, Martin,

Photobucket also shows
stuff under your photo as IMG code.
You can just copy it and paste it.
It is very easy once you see how you do it.

BTW, it was very fun to ride with you too!
Ken

You can't just take them of your computer files?
It becomes a data storage issue if everyone starts to upload pics to the server. Image taking every single picture every added to Two Wheeled Texans and putting them on your hard drive. You'd run out of room real quick.

This way, each person is responsible for the storage of their own pics but can share them with as many people as they like with no storage impact to Two Wheeled Texans.

Greetings DS riders!! Returned with at total of 1157 miles. Good tail wind heading north on Friday and great tail wind heading south on Sunday. Off course, Saturday dirt ride was excellent. When riding with Scott, Dirtbike (Ducttape), Primo, James, Justin, and Ken, all Pinklloyd can do is provide the entertainment.