• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride Report

You Guys are killing me and my HONDA TRANSLAP

I almost continued the "Translap" tradition when referencing Rusty's cycle but thought better of it.... :zen:

Richard, thanks for dragging my front tire home, I'll try to get down to your place this weekend to recover it and Tom's little gas can if it made it. I went back over to tie it down in your trailer but you guys had already bolted!

J

I can't get pictures to post like you guys. I can only do attachments. How do you do it Texas DR? Or anyone else.

Since you are a forum supporter, you can upload images to the TWT forum gallery and link to them from there. Look at the menu bar at the top of any page and click on "Photo Gallery". You will see an option to "Upload Photos" near the top right. Click on that and it will already have "Member Galleries" as the category selected. Then locate up to 10 photos at a time & it will store them in the gallery under your name. You can add titles and comments for each one on the second page of the upload process.

Finally, to link to them, open your gallery and click on the photo you want to link to. This will bring up a larger version of the picture. Under it is a line marked "UBBCode:" - copy this line and past it into the thread where you want the photo to appear (like this one). I usually have one window open where I am composing my reply and another open with the gallery so I can find the photos and grab the links.

Hope that helps...

Route from Junction to Austin

Quick update on charting out the route from Junction to Austin. I am still working on it. I'm trying to make sure I get the road names correct by comparing "2008 Roads of Texas", Google Maps and Yahoo Maps. So far it seems Yahoo is more accurate that Google for the ranch roads.

It only took me about 30 mins to look at pages 119, 120 and 121 and chart the route over breakfast on Sunday but we just figured it out as we were driving along. It's a whole other ballgame to actually try to write the route based on the memory of the road names we actually took and coincide them with the actual map so that someone can follow the map but be aware of the real names of the roads since they are not accurate.

Give me a few more days and I'll have it knocked out.

IMG_3131.jpg

Okay, I'm back and ready to continue the story. We left off at sign up on Thursday night...

The breakfast buffet kicked off at 6 a.m. and so Connie and I decided to set up out front of the restaurant the first thing in the morning to check in those who had arrived too late to register the night before and to see a breakfast ticket to anyone who needed it.

We had 1 problem. The motel alarm clock was giving us problems. I set it the night before, but come morning, it didn't go off.

I knew it was morning but I didn't know what time it was so I blearily opened my eyes and looked at the alarm clock. It was 6:96 a.m.
507134851_y7avj-L.jpg

"Holy Moly, Connie!" I shouted. "We're late."
"What time is it?" she replied tiredly from somewhere beneath the covers.
"It's 6:96. We've got to get moving now."
"6:96?"
"Yep and we don't have time to waste."

By the time her mind had processed the time, she was already out of bed and moving.

Breakfast as Isaack's was its usual goodness. Mmmmm, bacon. :eat:
507117003_TwfEo-L.jpg

Breakfast is just a good time to plan the day's ride.
507131256_hpoRr-L.jpg

It's almost too early to smile. Almost...
507116579_GpoKY-L.jpg

AlphaDog appears to be a morning person. Hi, Lori. :wave:
507114330_9xzu4-L.jpg

With breakfast done and the riders meeting complete it was time to ride.

The Infamous Bull Incident of 2009
or

The Bull, El Matador, and the Rodeo Dual Sport Clown

My little group of 3 headed west for Old Junction Road. I knew from experience that this was a popular road so I expected to see one or two other groups today on this route.

Sure enough, as we rode west a couple of riders on BMW GSs passed us (my group wasn't moving quite as fast as the big GS bikes). But, those 2 guys had never been here before and weren't sure of the way. They would get ahead of us then pull over to check the map, during which time we would zip past them, honking a horn at them in the process.

After an hour of leap frog, we arrived at Old Junction Road first; the first group of the day to get here. It was time for a smoke break, so I pulled to the side of the road and dismounted.

I spotted it instantly - a 3000 lb bull blocking the road just ahead. A big, mean looking 3000 lb terror. Blocking the road we would have to ride, the road there was no way around. And the bull didn't look to be in any mood to move. And I sure wasn't in any mood to mess with him. He was one big son-of-a-........gun.

Look here, you dirty dual sport riders. This here is my road and the law of gross tonnage won't be denied.
507118726_rpTbE-L.jpg

Hmmmm, thinks I. Those BMW riders ought to be along shortly.....

"Crikey, Rich! Look at the size of that big son-of-a-......gun up ahead."
"Yes, I see him. Be patient, I have a plan."
"Does your plan include a medic or an ambulance?"

507118231_X9e2b-L.jpg

Oh, look, here come those BMW riders now.

The blasted by us like we were standing still....

Then they spotted the bull. But it was too late. They were on the black behemoth and it was too late to do anything but go for it.

The bull appeared to more startled than the riders. He watched in stunned silence and stillness as the first rider went by and then his little bull brain kicked into gear and he jumped about 2 feet into the air and lunged toward the 2nd rider.

The 2nd rider excecuted an immediate evasive action to the left while simultaneously calling down to Scotty in the engine room to crank up the dilithimum crystals for warp power right now or we are all dead.

Just like that, both riders were by the bull and out of range.

Meanwhile, the bull was pretty excited but still not sure exactly what he should do. So, he elected to remain standing in the middle of the road.

Along about this time, another group of riders showed up. A group of about 9 riders.

Wow, this was really getting more interesting by the minute.

I won't ruin the story, but I'm still kicking myself for not whipping out my camera and putting it in movie mode...I was leading the group of 9 he refers to...and wearing a bright orange jacket.

Well, I'm bright enough to stop when I see someone with a camera waiting by the side of the road and looking further down it. What followed it one of the funniest and somewhat scariest sequence of events I've seen. Definitely the scariest one where there was no beer involved.

Well, I'm bright enough to stop when I see someone with a camera waiting by the side of the road and looking further down it. What followed it one of the funniest and somewhat scariest sequence of events I've seen. Definitely the scariest one where there was no beer involved.

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that the bull was more friendly than the old sheriff I stopped to say hello to!
Next time down there,I aint stopping unless they turn the rollers on.

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that the bull was more friendly than the old sheriff I stopped to say hello to!
Next time down there,I aint stopping unless they turn the rollers on.

That sounds like another interesting story. :popcorn:

I wonder if you got to talk to the same deputy our group got to talk to? He gave us all a bunch of hassle over next to nothing. I think it made his day to give us grief. I was also told the Sheriff wants to hear about incidents like this but this guy had no ID showing and I didn't want to possibly set him off by asking for anything.
But, it didn't ruin our great weekend one bit. Had a great time as usual. Although with young guys like Rusty, Richard, Dirt Bike Dave, etc. around it makes me feel my age.
Robert

That sounds like another interesting story. :popcorn:

I was there when Jack stopped to speak with the Sherrif's deputy. I stopped to listen to the conversation. This guy was itchin' for a fight (the sherrif, not Jack). He had contepmt and disdain in his voice as he complained about us "silly motorcyclers" trespassing, wasting gasoline and acting silly. Jack assured him it was not our party who were guilty of any of these capital offenses. The sherrif immediately retorted he just witnessed our buddy riding by while "standing-up" (the horror!); in his mind, proof that we were irreverent hooligans. A real classy guy.

Barney Fife lives.

Just a quick note to say that I enjoyed reading through this thread. I've been fighting off the KLR itch nicely so far, but these kinds of ride report do not help in the slightest.

He had contepmt and disdain in his voice as he complained about us "silly motorcyclers" trespassing, wasting gasoline and acting silly. Jack assured him it was not our party who were guilty of any of these capital offenses. The sherrif immediately retorted he just witnessed our buddy riding by while "standing-up" (the horror!); in his mind, proof that we were irreverent hooligans.
:lol2: That is hilarious.

I wonder if you got to talk to the same deputy our group got to talk to? He gave us all a bunch of hassle over next to nothing. I think it made his day to give us grief. I was also told the Sheriff wants to hear about incidents like this but this guy had no ID showing and I didn't want to possibly set him off by asking for anything.
But, it didn't ruin our great weekend one bit. Had a great time as usual. Although with young guys like Rusty, Richard, Dirt Bike Dave, etc. around it makes me feel my age.
Robert

He was an old guy,probably in his early 70's. White hair,wispy mustache. And Stan is right,he was itchin for a fight,but he wasn't gittin nothing out of me. I was pretty used up from the previous day's activities!I basically just ended the conversation and rode off.
He didn't even come close to ruining my weekend,I was having way too much fun. Just wish I'd stayed longer. I will be back down there as soon as possible.

Richard,6:96 is ok,but personally I like 9:49!

Route from Junction to Austin to the best of my memory

I was asked to chart the route we took from Junction to Austin. I tried to combine "The Roads of Texas", Google Maps and Yahoo Maps to get the correct road names. Because "The Road of Texas" map is what Richard recommends I tried really hard to make sure all road names match what is in "The Roads of Texas" Maps on pages 119, 120 and 121.

If a road can possibly have two names I will list them both like this: Road Name (Alternate Name)

From The Hills Motel 1520 Main St.; Junction, TX 76849

Main (481) Southeast to Martinez St (Ranch Rd 2169) Turn Left

Ranch Rd 2169 Southeast to CR410 (Holden Hollow) Turn Left

At this point the maps are a little conflicting. :doh: The goal is to get to 385.
From comparing "The Roads of Texas", Google Maps and Yahoo Maps here is my best guess at the road names.

Follow CR410 east past the first two lefts until you come to the first "Y".

Stay to the left on CR410. (The right part of the "Y" should be CR411 but stay on CR410)

CR410 will eventually turn to the left, going north past CR412 but stay on CR410.

CR410 will eventually turn to the right again going east past CR322 but stay on CR410.

CR410 will "T" at CR420 (Blue Mountain Rd), Turn Left going North and Blue Mountain Rd will intersect with 385 (Ranch Rd 385)

385 Southeast to CR430 (Mill Creek or James River Rd) Turn Left going North

Take firt right on Salt Branch (CR 4301 or E Mill Rd) going east

Stay on Lower Salt Branch Rd (Salt Branch Loop or Eckert) Southeast to 783

Cross 783. Salt Branch Loop becomes Langes Mill Rd to Lehmann Rd Turn Left (first left) going Southeast again

Follow Lehmann Rd (Crosses Jack Rabbit Rd) to what will seem like a "T" and Turn Left onto Doss-Cherry Spring Rd going Northeast

Doss-Cherry Spring Rd will cross 87 and become Cherry Spring Road going East by Southeast

Continue on Cherry Spring Road to Ranch Rd 2323 and Turn Right (South) and take a near immediate Left on Schneider Moellering Rd going Southeast again

Schneider Moellering Rd will "T" at Gypsum Mine Rd. Turn Left going Southwest

Gypsum Mine Rd will become Cherry Mountain Loop. Continue South

Cherry Mountain Loop will "T" at 87. Turn Left and take 87 into Fredericksburg

Once in Fredericksburg 87 will become 290 (W Main St) going East

Take W Main St to E Main St through most of the town until you reach 1631 and Turn Left going Northeast

Take 1631 East and it will become 2721 continuing East

Take 2721 East to FM-1320 and Turn Left going Northeast

FM-1320 East will become FM-1323 in the city of Sandy, continue East

Take FM-1323 will "T" at 281. Turn Left going North

Take 281 North to Cypress Mill Rd and Turn Left going East

Take Cypress Mill Rd East to 962 and Turn right going East again

962 will become Hamilton Pool Rd (3238) continue East

Take Hamilton Rd to 71 and Turn Right going East again.

From 71 you can take either 620 into Austin or Bee Caves Rd (2244) into Austin

Happy Trails!! :rider:

Now what would be really awesome is if someone reversed the directions so we can take it next year to the 2010 TAR!! :trust:

Re: Route from Junction to Austin to the best of my memory

I was asked to chart the route we took from Junction to Austin. I tried to combine "The Roads of Texas", Google Maps and Yahoo Maps to get the correct road names. Because "The Road of Texas" map is what Richard recommends I tried really hard to make sure I gave all road names to try and match what is in "The Roads of Texas" Maps.

If a road can possibly have two names I will list them both like this: Road Name (Alternate Name)

From The Hills Motel 1520 Main St.; Junction, TX 76849

From 71 you can take either 620 into Austin or Bee Caves Rd (2244) into Austin

Happy Trails!! :rider:

Now what would be really awesome is if someone reversed the directions so we can take it next year to the 2010 TAR!! :trust:

It is obvious you put a lot of effort into reconstructing the route.
Thanks, I am going to try and translate your route into a Garmin data base.
Once into MapSource, it will be available for next year.
Thanks again.

Richard we had a great time again. Thanks alot!:clap:

Attachments

• picture0014.jpg
    picture0014.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_1157.jpg
    100_1157.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_1151.jpg
    100_1151.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_1140.jpg
    100_1140.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1135.jpg
    100_1135.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 234
I know I should let this slide, but let's do the math for a second. Say 175 people showed up and by Junction's own estimation we spend $250 - $300 each, right? And who knows how much (if any?) they charged Richard for the banquet hall, etc. I'd say we easily dropped $45k - $50k in that town over one weekend, and I don't know about you, but I'd say we left the place as clean or cleaner than when we got there. We probably paid that guy's salary for the next 6 months. Give me a break. Somebody should right a polite letter to their newspaper and explain things to him. Maybe next year I'll stay in Rocksprings :angryfire

Ok I feel better now.

I was there when Jack stopped to speak with the Sherrif's deputy. I stopped to listen to the conversation. This guy was itchin' for a fight (the sherrif, not Jack). He had contepmt and disdain in his voice as he complained about us "silly motorcyclers" trespassing, wasting gasoline and acting silly. Jack assured him it was not our party who were guilty of any of these capital offenses. The sherrif immediately retorted he just witnessed our buddy riding by while "standing-up" (the horror!); in his mind, proof that we were irreverent hooligans. A real classy guy.

Barney Fife lives.

Back