• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride Report

Hey brianh you rock man! Thanks for posting the pics.
I was asked by some new friends (3) after a full day of riding " How long have you had this Thing running", I hated to tell them "O' just since yesterday afternoon".
The heart and soul of my machine is a Bayerische Motorenwerke R75/6. This bike was given to me by a good friend of mine who hadn't ridden it since 1984. The bike was taken apart and laying in a shed out in the middle of a pasture at his ranch in Sisterdale, Texas.
I have been working on this bike off and on for about a year but the last week before TAR was the real push. I llitteraly had a 20 mi. test run on this bike before heading out on Friday for TAR 2009.
Thursday the evening of sign in, when the bike wasn't ready, my buddy was telling me" Why don't you just wait and go on next years ride" I said %#*!!! No MAN I'm going for it! I have been wanting to do this ride for three years now. So after getting Title and Registration done Friday morning, I finished turn signals and a niffty cigarette lighter to plug in my air compressor, I loaded my gear and left for TAR.
After 2 nights in a tent, 436 mi., many new friends, and lots and lots of laughs later, the old girl brought me home safe and sound.
WHAT AN ADVENTURE!!!
THANKS, Dana (BigD)

PS: I finally got around to setting the ignition timing this last Saturday, boy what a difference!

:clap::lol2::clap: You sir, are my hero!

I am sorry I missed. I'll save some vacation time for next year. Great repots and pictures guys.

Hi Guys.. This is Charles (aka the Dakar guy..)

Had a great time at the ride in Junction, and managed to meet some really cool people.

Martin, Jim, Brandon, Scott, Justin, Ken, Richard, Tom, Rich - well.. at least those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Next time we'll have to get some ride time together. Enjoyed meeting you also.

Later,
dude

Tricepilot, what kind of surface prep, if any, did you have to do before painting? It looks great!

Scott - 5 easy steps:

(1) Remove decals with Goo Gone and a heat gun

(2) Scuff surface with scour pad

(3) Clean with alcohol & a rag

(4) Spray with "Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter Clear Primer" available at Amazon.com or perhaps a local auto store, but amazon is where I sourced mine.

(5) Spray with the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Liner.

It's important to start with a VERY light spray and let it flash over. The first three "coats", if you want to call them that, must be VERY light. Then you get progressively heavier.

The cool thing about this product is that you get a nice, even finish, that looks very professional - out of a rattle can! None of that heavy, orange peel effect. Dirt washes off nicely, and if you get in the mood to restore a factory-fresh look, just mask off what you need to, and rattle-can away!

510925789_PfxSL-XL.jpg

510923974_ufazw-XL.jpg

As I mentioned, I tore the bike down to the frame, including removing the tank. It was easier to paint that way. Also, what I didn't mention is that at the time I bought the bike, there were no all-black plastic bikes at my dealer. So, I replaced the two plastic red fenders with OEM black plastic fenders. This, under the theory that rocks and road effect might scratch the plastic and reveal red color underneath. So, the bike parts are all "original" black "shiny" plastic except for the fairing and tank, which are factory red underneath. & OBTW, I also sprayed the SW Motech crash bars the same color, and in the future, if the Acerbis guards take it in the face, I'll paint them the same way.

I really plan to beat the tar out of this bike. So, it will get dropped, scratched, broken, and perhaps run off a cliff. If it doesn't, I have failed in my mission. That said, when I hose it off and clean it up, I wanted something nice to look at and a conversation piece. At the few places I've already been, such as gas stations and BBQ joints, it gets lots of attention. First comments are always that people like the flat black, ninja/bomber look. Then, some people want to know what type of bike it is. Like "Hey, what brand is "Tricepilot'" type of questions. The only "Kawasaki" left is on the front above the lights, in small letters.

So, for the price of a few scratch pads, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and several cans of adhesion promoter and bedliner, you can be in business.

Cheers

Bob :sun:

Mr. Pilot, after bein on my KLR pretty much every day since 2006 (until the DR was born), I'd have to say that is pretty much the coolest looking Battle KLR I've seen. Very nice job. :thumb:

Awesome story on the ole BMW R75/6. Wow. :zen:

Welcome Dakar Dude! :clap:

I was there this year with a small group from the San Antonio area. As far as the deputy goes, he should have paid more attention to the locals than those of us out having fun. We were riding down one section and the owner had tied up a dog on a short leash of Chain at one cattleguard entering his property. The dog looked pretty traumatized, no shade and I didn't see any water. There was another one on another section of chain at the other cattleguard on the exit.

I called the sheriff's dept with an approximate location. My pessimistic side says they won't do anything though. And I'm not even sure why the jerk would have tied up dogs out there anyway! Anybody else see this?

Its a good thing my daughter wasn't along. We'd of had a "situation".

You have to realize that civil servants like that don't care about tourist dollars. They like their nice quiet jobs where they can eat at the diner and chat with the locals, nap in the car and go home. The worst they expect is that the two Higgins brothers got into another fight on Saturday night. He may also have been getting some fourth hand RUMINT that is 10 years old that some motorcycle gang ran trough some property somewhere and tore up some ranchers fence and scared his cattle. So, all motorcycles are bad and should be run out of town.
I'm not excusing the behavior of the deputy, it sounds like he was an *****hat. I've just lived in enough small towns to know the Type.

Coolhand;596831 said:
Mr. Pilot, after bein on my KLR pretty much every day since 2006 (until the DR was born), I'd have to say that is pretty much the coolest looking Battle KLR I've seen.

The War Wagon

513291434_aqcdg-X2.jpg

At the few places I've already been, such as gas stations and BBQ joints, it gets lots of attention.

I get that too... I don't know if it is my zip tie stitch work on the front fender, the nasty scratches on the fairing, the worn out tan leather seat, or just the total effect. Little kids will turn into mindless zombies, unable to divert their eyes, when they see me :lol2:

I get that too...

Little kids will turn into mindless zombies, unable to divert their eyes, when they see me :lol2:

That's because you're such a suave, engaging charmer, Scott :deal:

As for me, you can tell by my portrait, below, that I'm considered...well... somewhat "unusual":

513329385_mPaai-XL.jpg

But I'm happy :sun:

Enjoy! Here is a video of our ride set to music. I have included some pics as well

Nice video. I see you got your 250x plated. Makes it even more fun :rider: Would be a great bike (as in fun) when we rode Black Gap road at Uncle's ride last February.

Last edited:
I was there this year with a small group from the San Antonio area. As far as the deputy goes, he should have paid more attention to the locals than those of us out having fun. We were riding down one section and the owner had tied up a dog on a short leash of Chain at one cattleguard entering his property. The dog looked pretty traumatized, no shade and I didn't see any water. There was another one on another section of chain at the other cattleguard on the exit.

I called the sheriff's dept with an approximate location. My pessimistic side says they won't do anything though. And I'm not even sure why the jerk would have tied up dogs out there anyway! Anybody else see this?

Its a good thing my daughter wasn't along. We'd of had a "situation".

Knobby,
I'm afraid my party and I saw this, it wasn't a pretty sight. We were all disturbed by this situation.
Not by any means do I approve of what this rancher is doing! I just want to make this clear, before I procede.
This man is a sheep farmer and has tied these dogs at the cattleguards to keep his sheep form crossing the cattleguards. Yes my friends sheep can walk right on across a cattleguard.
At a quick glance I did not see any food or water available.

For What It's Worth,

BigD

Thought I'd add a couple pictures from the ride, one of my brother checking out Dana's bike and one of the group. Dana definately had me fooled, thought he'd probably already toured cross country on the bike!

Attachments

• DSCI1465.jpg
    DSCI1465.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCI1469.jpg
    DSCI1469.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 212
Enjoy! Here is a video of our ride set to music. I have included some pics as well

That first road we went on was fantastic! It's a shame it didn't go anywhere, but I wouldn't have missed it. Around 5:40 I like how Ambassador Klaus is getting us in the right direction!

Your videos turned out great. My camera aim was altered by the wind causing a fantastic view of the ground 4 ft in front of the bike at speed. Standing still it was okay though.

Doug

Back