• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SAN ANTONIO: SOLD 2009 Versys Adventure

Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
I built this bike after watching builds on AdvRider and took my notes from JDRocks gravel runner build thread. Has all the stock body work. These bikes are fun to ride, smooth and comfortable going down gravel roads and it will run the highway. It is a great gravel road bike.
The bike Kawasaki should have built.

$4500.00

Price drop

$4000.00

Price drop 10/1/2018

$3500.00

I really want to sell this bike out rite,.
Update: 1/9/2020 I would trade plus cash for a Vstrom 1000 2014 or newer.

$3200.00

Dropped 3 times, once by previous owner going around a corner and hit gravel at maybe 5 mph, see picture of right side. I dropped it on left side turning around on a sand road barely moving, no damage. Then I dropped it in a low water crossing on the right side, crash bar scratched and worked great with no damage to the bike.

New front wheel with new tires front and rear. E-07s

Clean and clear title in my name.
6116 miles and going up as I ride it.
Stock exhaust, motor and air filter. I do have 2 new Uni pod filters, not installed.
Runs and rides great and ready to ride.
DRZ 400 fully adjustable forks. 8" travel apx
I used 2 sets of forks to have 2 brake caliper forks for dual disk brakes.
R1 adjustible rear shock with a different spring. 6 3/4" travel
DL1000 front wheel.
SV650rear wheel.
Custom DOT SS brake lines. Black coated.
Shaved the seat down a little to offset the forward slide and to lower seat height, 33 1/2”.
Cut down Ninja 650R front fender.
Custom Polycarbonate (Lexan) windshield, works well and will not break.
Protaper ATV Hi SE handle bars.
2” Rox Risers.
Ram ball and wired for GPS.
Trackside handguards.
Cortech soft saddlebags with custom guards.
Moto Centric tail bag.
Nelson Rigg tank bag.
SW Motech steel tail rack.
SW-Motech skid plate.
SW-Motech crash bars.
16/46 Sprockets installed. This opens up the gears a little and works great. Stock is 15/46

Last edited:
This is a great little bike that you would be amazed with how it handles on and off pavement.

My goal is to get down to 1 bike.
Have not posted, but my 96 R1100GS (Sold) is for sale since I now have a new to me 12 R1200GS Rallye.

Last edited:
If I was in the market to replace my Strom that would be on the short list. Nice bike.

If I was in the market to replace my Strom that would be on the short list. Nice bike.

Thanks.

Until you ride one of these conversions you just don't get it. With the DRZ forks and 19" front wheel and the R1 shock totally transform it. It is amazing how well it handles gravel/dirt roads and pavement with the punchy parallel twin motor and you will wonder why Kawasaki didn't build it.

Last edited:
I'm curious ... how well documented are the changes you've made from other platforms?
down the road, if I need fork seals or rear shock bushings ... from what year/model do I order?

I'm curious ... how well documented are the changes you've made from other platforms?
down the road, if I need fork seals or rear shock bushings ... from what year/model do I order?

Stock DRZ400 forks, the good ones that are fully adjustable.
Stock R-1 shock, I have a extra shock.
Stock DL-1000 front wheel.
Stock SV-650 rear wheel.

I built this bike off of JDrocks build thread on ADVrider:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/v649hp-kawasakis-new-gravel-runner.644390/

When I built this bike and I wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible, all body work remains
I took all my notes from this very well documented thread. I think he is building his 5 bike now. Before I built this bike I had a chance to check out his bike in person and I was amazed. I have no regrets with this bike. I followed his builds and others for several years. It is not a slapped together piece of trash!

Even thou it is a modified motorcycle everything is bolt on except for:

1. one SV-650 wheel spacer on the rear wheel that I had to cut down to
make the chain align.
2. front brake lines.
3. I made the simple saddle bag stand offs.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a Adventure bike but don't want the extra weight of the larger bikes, look no farther.

Curb Weight of the stock 09 Versys: 454.1 lbs.

Last edited:
I am surprised the front wheel was ever on the ground long enough to get bent :nana:

How do you like the 1200 Rallye?

And, you'll never need a GPS. I certain that bike knows every road in at least the Hill Country if not much much more.

My riding has changed and don't need 3 bikes.

This is a great little bike that runs and rides great, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Back