• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2010 Harvest Classic Trip Reports...

Let's get this started for the 2010 Harvest Classic. Man - what a blast.

This was my second year to attend and I must say, there's enough eye candy there to keep your attention level high. From the Ducati truck with all their new offerings, down to the oldest 1920's motorcycles and scooters, there's just about everything in between.

Woodbutcher led us through some mist and light rain down to Luckenbach, and by the time we arrived, we had mostly sunny skies for the rest of the afternoon. We wandered around spending most of the time split between the various stages of the Trials Bike competition and the motorcycle display area. Tons of cool bikes to oogle after.

Mid-afternoon Rusty's trusty weather radar showed yet another line of impending heavy thunderstorms headed East to Luckenbach, so we gathered up and departed.

Here's a few of my favorite shots. The entire gallery is HERE

About as naked as a BMW can get. Even the wiring harness and switches were fairly well concealed. I think the only stock frame part was the triple tree area of the front fork. The rest was all fabricated.

I called this one "Killer"

The Trials Bike competition was incredible. I found it amazing what riders can do on these specialty bikes.

TWT Member Darryl doing his sketching, this time a black Vincent

A highly annodized R1150GS-ADV 1000GS

I found these Honda SL350 Cafe' Racers to be very interesting. I might could almost build one up if I knew what all had been done to them.

What 'cha got to report?

Last edited:
Re: 2010 Harvest Classic - 22 & 23 Oct

What a great rally. Rick it was great to meet you. Todo Moto was there again but I guess were on better behavior than last year if you want to call it that. A little bit of rain towards Saturday evening but it was okay because Ducatis don't melt when like everyone says when they get wet. Had a great time.

The trials event was great!

Why go around a tree when you can go through it?
IMG_0575.jpg

The vintage bikes were great sitting still
IMG_0571.jpg

and even better in action
IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

-ZigZag

Props - 2010 Harvest Classic

Re: 2010 Harvest Classic. Thanks to:

• The good people who organize this event each year to raise money to help those children (and their families) dealing with economic hardships from cancer treatments,
  • All the sponsors and donors who provide prizes for raffles and auctions,
  • The incredible restorers/owners of some of the most beautiful antique, classic and rare motorcycles I've ever seen - for all their hard work, investment and willingness to share their results with the rest of us and for creating the draw for so many of us to come to Luckenbach and participate in this event,
  • The cool, colorful and friendly brotherhood of riders from all over TX and the surrounding states (and even Germany) for creating a fun environment in which to share observations, knowledge and just plain old fashioned BS,
  • Rick Miller for persisting in getting me to attend, for mapping an interesting route down from Dallas, for accommodating all my aches and pains, and for just being a ****** good friend :clap:,
  • Yehaa! Steven for being a superb TourMaster, showing us interesting ways of getting around the area (and keeping us from getting lost), introducing us to great places to eat :eat:, and for leading a scenic, curvy route :rider:back to DFW - what a guy!
  • And finally to the weather forecasters for getting the weather all wrong again this weekend :rofl:.
If you didn't make it down this year, you owe it to yourself to attend next October - even if you drive there - to support a VERY worthy cause AND to have a ***** good time.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still sorting through my pictures, but wanted to apologize to Bill Kreitz. I found his card on my bike just as we were heading out in the afternoon. The clouds were getting ominous and the temp had dropped a little so we were heading out so we wouldn't have to ride home in the rain like we did on the way in. That's why I didn't call you, Bill.

What 'cha got to report?
Hey, I thought I caught a glimpse of you and Rusty but got distracted by something shiny and lost track of you. I pretty much did a banzai run to visit with Perry Bushong about a sidecar project but here are some quick snapshots from my cell phone of things that grabbed my (limited) attention...

1062260131_vkkuf-M.jpg

1062261564_X8L3L-M.jpg

1062266180_8SS3g-M.jpg

1062267891_GyGwb-M.jpg

1062270769_hstRJ-M.jpg

1062272061_HpQJo-M.jpg

1062273480_6FYVg-M.jpg

My all time favorite!!!!
1062273481_J26aP-M.jpg

I'm still sorting through my pictures, but wanted to apologize to Bill Kreitz. I found his card on my bike just as we were heading out in the afternoon. The clouds were getting ominous and the temp had dropped a little so we were heading out so we wouldn't have to ride home in the rain like we did on the way in. That's why I didn't call you, Bill.
Nobody disses my Uncle Bill! :rofl: LOL. :lol2:

I had a blast at my first Harvest Classic...except for the individual who decided to toot an air horn every hour or so throughout the night, screaming "wake the ***** up!". Then proceeded to put his Harley back on the trailer Sunday at around 7 or 8 AM and rev it while it was on the trailer, to make sure the entire campsite heard him.

I plotted a nice drive from Austin that avoided all the big roads I could muster with Google Maps. Took some nice farm roads to make a mediocre 1.5 hour trip more like 2.5 beautiful hours. Will post pics later today, hopefully.

I was there on Saturday to see the classic bikes and it was nice. Next year, I'll test ride a duc if they're in attendance. Based on the description of the campground, I'm glad I didn't camp and there's no way the mrs would even think about camping, esp with 100's of drunken idiots blasting air horns at all hrs of the night?!?

My pics aren't any better than any here already. I'll post a link to them once they're up anyway. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet anyone from TWT. I saw one t-shirt but didn't get to introduce myself. Great rally even after going five times! Horrendous rain between Clovis and Lubbock but the little we got on Saturday wasn't bad at all.

Had a great time, too! Thanks to everyone who stopped in and said hi at the Moto Liberty tent. Sorry I didn't have more time to talk, though. I was flying solo most of the day, so had to keep swapping my attention between customers. It's our honor to contribute to the charity and participate in one of the coolest events of the year.

I went with the usual riding buddies. We arrived around noon and stayed a couple hours. I was watching for anyone I knew but didn't run into any TWTexans. Here are a few of my favorites....

Already posted but I just love this bike.

05.jpg

The bikes in the parking lot were just as cool to wander through as the actual show.

09parkinglot.jpg

Saw this in the parking lot. Turbo charged BMW rat bike with attitude.

10homie.jpg

Here is the attitude from the side of the tank

11flingpoo.jpg

The opposite side said, "I don't like you either". :lol2:

We had fun as always. GeorgeInDallas and I rode down and met Yeeha Stephen at Coopers BBQ in Llano. We picked up a 3rd ST rider at a gas stop. He was drinking coffee so we introduced ourselves and said join us.

Back on the road again his cell phone blew out and George ran over it. We went back to see if it was salvageable and while running my emergency flashers I blew a fuse and died on the side of the road. A dead duck! I brought everything except FUSES! Sometimes it pays to be friendly, because Bob Boucher (the ST rider we befriended) said he had the necessary fuse.

This is Bob on his ST with ours in the background

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8240.JPG

I reassembled the fairing and off we went.
We found the phone but it was toast.
Stephen was patient and waited for us at Llano so we ate a late lunch together.

At the rally we stood around the Ducati truck most of the day and I only found Ducaholic. Didn't meet any other Twtex members. Next time we are going to have to have a plan.

Mike Roden and George Moore (Duckman and GeorgeInDallas) Mike rode up from Houston for the rally. I met him this summer at a Ducati rally in NC.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8246.JPG

Went through the camp ground looking for a Marlin flag, but no luck.

I won a 50.00 gift certificate to Central Texas Powersports, Georgetown, Tx for one motopro challenge course. I don't know what that is and Georgetown is too far for me, so if anyone wants this certificate let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Stephen led us over to Alamo Springs for a burger and that was fun.

Stephen, Mike, George, Stephanie and Gary from Lubbock

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8331.JPG

Some bike pictures

My first bike was a ratty version of this bike.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8274.JPG

How about a rat turbo charged K bike.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8338.JPG

I took these two pictures for SL350. He owns one 350 and 2 Twinstars

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8264.JPG

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8250.JPG

This scooter made me laugh.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8290.jpg

I took this picture last month on a trip to Prague, CZ.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_7479.jpg

Stephen showed us all new roads on the way home.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8343.jpg

Stephen is telling George what is ahead.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8353.JPG

Fun roads!

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8351.JPG

Made it home at 4:30 on Sunday. My dog was happy to see me.

http://www.fredericky.com/images2/DSC_8365.JPG

We had a great time at our first HC event...friends have been telling us we HAD to go for years, so we did ! We test rode a new Multi (WOW), had lunch with some nice fellow Duc riders, hung out with some good friends and to top it all off... we actually won in the raffle drawing ! Not too bad of a day considering I (Steph) was sick and had to drink Nyquil by the case and wear ear plugs to keep air out of my infected ear .... Texas Hill Country is amazing as always and it was a nice getaway !

harvest lunch.jpg

Last edited:
Not my first bike but had one too. Got it in a basket and put it back together. Rode the wheel of that heavy, under-powered no stooping bike in the Wayne National Forest back in the 60s. Learned a lot about riding, crashing, picking up and repairing with this one. :rider:
With that muffler removed it would really sound good.

Wow, great pictures, Thanks for sharing!! I really wanted
to attend but ended up in Stillwater, OK on my 1125CR
for Homecoming at Oklahoma State University. While you
were taking these pictures, I was dodging Tornados on my
trip back to Lake Conroe. Pretty amazing weekend I'd say.

Yes, they were. They told me that their antics last year got them banished to a farther camping spot, right next to the road, for this year. They were harmless this year, I think one of their girls got topless for a minute but they didn't raise any ****.

Thanks for the note. When I was there last year, I was told they were banished and told not to return. While that did not turn out to be the case, it is good to hear that they largely behaved themselves. I was most impressed with some "punk" (my perception) folk from Houston last year who camped in the midst of "regular people" and caused no trouble at all - got along fine with one another. I hope I can make it to next year's rally.

Yeah, I was more irritated at the idiot who honked his air horn all night, and he was an "old school" Harley rider. I'm pretty sure he was in the same camp circle that was throwing around some racist comments and I generally avoided them.

That said, 99% of the attendees were genuinely cool, friendly bikers who were just interested in all the neat old bikes that were there. I made a few new friends who I hope to keep up with and do some rides with, or at least have some friendly faces when I get to the Harvest Classic next year.

Yeah, I was more irritated at the idiot who honked his air horn all night, and he was an "old school" Harley rider. I'm pretty sure he was in the same camp circle that was throwing around some racist comments and I generally avoided them.

That said, 99% of the attendees were genuinely cool, friendly bikers who were just interested in all the neat old bikes that were there. I made a few new friends who I hope to keep up with and do some rides with, or at least have some friendly faces when I get to the Harvest Classic next year.
It's a shame when a couple of idiots can ruin an entire night for everyone else.

The pics are great, folks. I might have to make one of these. And sleep elsewhere . . .

To be honest, the night wasn't ruined. I was plenty tired enough to sleep and if I would have remembered to put in my earplugs, wouldn't even have noticed the air horn.

Besides, there is a resident rooster living on top of Luckenbach's general store that will keep you up regardless of the human presence :)