• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2010 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2nd and 4th Sunday meet ups have come to a stop for now. Maybe when we get some decent weather on the right Sunday afternoon we can have a late lunch and a visit. If nothing else, I will try again in the spring.

Chuck,
I realize that I'm way too late making this suggestion this year, but maybe you can backburner it for next year.
I was thinking that if the Amarillo run was slated as an overnighter, AND it was scheduled to occur early in the season for the TEXAS! play in the Palo Duro that:

1) it wouldn't be too hot yet,
2) we could attend the play as a group (maybe even get a group rate),
3) and those who chose to could get in a little camping in the canyon.

Sound reasonable?

doolittle m, one thing you have to remember is that Chuck is just one person and the Pie Runs were setup by him as a way for anyone to ride to locations close to the DFW area as Chuck lives in that area. Now that the group has grown to a much larger size he has taken in more area to accommodate more riders and make it easier for more to attend the events. This was setup as a one day event which works well with most riders who live in the DFW-Austin area for a one day ride. I personally think that Chuck as done a great job in what he has done for the TWT riders, keep up the good work.

John

I was thinking that if the Amarillo run was slated as an overnighter, AND it was scheduled to occur early in the season for the TEXAS! play in the Palo Duro

Well, I plan to make it an overnight trip! :-P

It looks like the play runs from early June to mid August (for 2009 anyway). So, it might be good for a June date. However, sometimes late June can be very hot, but that would be better than July or August...

That would probably require a double overnighter, but I'll look at that and see... :ponder: In September, there is still a chance of making it home late without too much night riding.

Chuck, I too would like to thank you for doing such a good job on this. It serves everyone in the motorcycling arena when we share our fun. Keep up the good work.

I know it shouldn't/wouldn't make any difference, but be advised that the Celina location has a new owner. I'm sure that very little has changed, but it's just for your information (I failed to notice if it had been discussed elsewhere).

I think all your locations look great. Have a great day.

...so when do we start a pot luck pie run at someone's house? :eat:

As soon as some folks want to come over to my place and have some catfish.
Have lots in the freezer and more coming. (not farm raised)
Been thinking about it for awhile - just too much going on. I am east of Austin on the Bastrop-Smithville area.
Will PM you Squeaky.

I captured the first post for reference. I think I will scoot out on a limb and finalize this with one swap of locations and make the west Texas trip a bit more interesting by having the Texas play as a possibility. :sun:

So, we'll see if there are any other last-minute changes throughout the year - last year one of the locations closed but, hopefully, all of these are solid and dependable pie putter outters! :eat:

old:

The Moosehead Cafe diners got a chance to preview this list. It isn't cast in stone - I'm looking for feedback. However, the January location is NOT up for discussion - that is the 5 year anniversary of the start of this madness. :eek2:

I usually include our regular haunts, rotate thru some places we missed because we only do 12 a year, and there are usually 2-3 new places.

New and less frequented locations that were under consideration:
Medina
Amarillo (Adrain)
Godley
Brenham
Lake Fork
Sealy
Huntsville
Lake Athens
Fairfield
Elgin

Here is what folks saw in Crockett (tentative):
Jan - Hico
Feb - New Waverly (new)
Mar - Celina
Apr - Marble Falls
May - Medina
June - Hutto
July - Huntsville/Crockett
Aug - Elgin (new)
Sep - Godley (new)
Oct - Edom
Nov - Sealy
Dec - Bryan/College Station (overnight)

But I also am seriously considering this one (actually the frontrunner):
Jan 30 - Hico
Feb 27 - New Waverly (new)
Mar 27 - Celina
Apr 24 - Fairfield
May 29 - Medina
June 26 - Hutto
July 31 - Godley (new)
Aug 28 - Elgin (new)
Sep 25 - Adrain (Amarillo - new)
Oct 30 - Edom
Nov 20 - Sealy
Dec 18 (or Jan 1) - Crockett (day trip)

Yes, that's 4 new places, but it addresses several recommendations that have been on the back-burner.

---

Now, I think I like the day trip for the end-of-year but would like to know if that was a deal killer for some folks. The overnight is definitely a lot more work and takes several folks to contribute material like slide shows and stuff. Plus, it seems that there were not as many riders when an overnight was involved. Several folks mentioned they liked this years Crockett adventure but I know others have enjoyed the overnight event in the past. So, let me hear what you think.

It's all for the pie! :eat:

doolittle m, one thing you have to remember is that Chuck is just one person and the Pie Runs were setup by him as a way for anyone to ride to locations close to the DFW area as Chuck lives in that area. Now that the group has grown to a much larger size he has taken in more area to accommodate more riders and make it easier for more to attend the events. This was setup as a one day event which works well with most riders who live in the DFW-Austin area for a one day ride. I personally think that Chuck as done a great job in what he has done for the TWT riders, keep up the good work.

John

:tab I need to add some back history here. Chuck is the second Pie Man. The first Pie Man was Chris "wczimmerman" Zimmerman. He lived in Temple. He approached me with the idea for having meets at various locations to get people out to meet each other. The idea was that we would hold them all over Texas to give people from various regions a chance to attend. My plate was full so I told Chris that I loved the idea and that he should take care of it! :-P He agreed and the first Pie Run was held in January 05 in Hico and was a HUGE success. Chris went on to serve as the Pie Man for the next 4 years or so. However, his job situation took him to Seattle, Wa. Chuck was appointed as the new and somewhat reluctant Pie Man II because of his fantastic ability to make friends, attend many events, and generally be a social butterfly. He has done a great job of continuing the tradition started by Chris. Most people do not realize it but there really is a good bit of work that goes into setting up these meets, especially the end of the year meets that we had been doing as over nighters.

John

I agree and think he has done an excellent job in putting the agenda together. I was not trying to criticise at all, only questioning.

Assuming I get my rear shock back from the rebuilder before the Hubble crashes to Earth, looks like I should be able to make a few of those.

Many thanks for planning this stuff - I know it's hard to fill the shoes of great men who have gone before. :clap:

...so when do we start a pot luck pie run at someone's house? :eat:

That is what my bi annual Burger Bashes have become kind of by default. I provide the main meal and people usually show up with cakes/pies. I usually try to host one March/April and again Sept/Oct. I missed the fall one this year because of my deer encounter... :doh:

Doolittle_m, not to worry. It is understood you were just asking questions and making constructive criticism ;-)

i'm with everyone else. good job Chuck!! :clap: i hope to make a hand full of runs this year. that pesky "work" thing keeps getting in the way of my fun. can't wait till i retire in another 30 years or so!! :eek2:

Woohoo! Looking forward to eating some pie! I let the folks at Lucy's know the date and they are more than happy to have everyone back. They are planning some extra special stuff and were asking if there were any special requests. Let me see if I can remember the "usual" pies....

Buttermilk
Lemon Chess
Chocolate Fudge
Almond Joy
Kentucky Bourbon
Pecan
Pumpkin
Blueberry
Cherry
Apple
Lemon Merinque
Peanut Butter
Chocolate Cream
Coconut Cream
Banana Cream

If you want something that isn't on that list let me know. My wife IS the bakery there, she'll make sure its on the menu that day :eat:

Re: 2010 Pie Run Schedule-Austin Riders

Anybody riding in from Austin? I live near Hamilton Pool north of Dripping Springs and will probably be coming. The variety of pies looked too tempting!

Oh and I'll be on my BMW K1200LT with the heated seats and grips. The KLR is a bit breezy for a long rode trip at this temp.

Pat:eat:

Re: 2010 Pie Run Schedule-Austin Riders

Anybody riding in from Austin? I live near Hamilton Pool north of Dripping Springs and will probably be coming. The variety of pies looked too tempting!

Oh and I'll be on my BMW K1200LT with the heated seats and grips. The KLR is a bit breezy for a long rode trip at this temp.

Pat:eat:

Here's the Austin planning thread: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45715

As a new member, I cant wait to do this ! For the Amarillo (Adrian) trip... I just have to let everyone know how AMAZING Palo Duro Canyon is... I had never been there efore last year...its really pretty...I was quite surprised.

As a West Texas resident, let me know if theres anything I can help with ! I would offer to have everyone come for a RTE and swim, but who wants to come to Lubbock if they dont have to ? :mrgreen:

Everyone have a great week... we might make it to Medina, hope to meet up with all of you sooner than later

Steph & Gary

HPIM1387.jpg

HPIM1385.jpg

HPIM1386.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Crazy, good to see another Lubbockite in here. I don't get here often and have tried to make some of the rides but medical or weather always seems to interfere. Made the one in Slaton last year and it was fun. Some very nice folks. They are a tight group but I think the armour is penetrable anytime.

I have the Adrian ride on the calendar and I think the wifey might try for this one with me. We would take the camper to Palo Duro and go from there so anyone wanting to camp in the canyon is welcome to join us if all works out.

I think you can have several tents and people in one site but I'll check it out if anyone else is interested. Nothing like an overnight in Palo Duro. :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back