• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chappell Hill Cafe - outside of Brenham on 290 East from Houston. Great food and friendly service. Decent roads heading out with 290 in case you are in a hurry.

Andrew T wrote this yesterday: "Any thoughts for next year? I, as usual, nominate the Last Saturday in January Always fish fry and dessert auction in Deutschberg. Desserts including pie are served as well."

I had to look up where this was and got Austria! Google suggested Deutschburg but I am still not sure where it is. Looks be pretty far south, however. Texas riding in January can vary wildly.
The location in question comes up as "Deutschburg School" on Google Earth, and is just northwest of Palacios and southwest of Blessing. I'm not insistent, by any means - it's 60 miles for me and I've caged it every time so far! Nonetheless, I'd love to see a pie run stop outside the "triangle" on the south side. I appreciate the attraction of keeping the rides reasonable for the majority of the TWT readership, but please reach out to those of us on the "outside". JJHonek's suggestion of Port A is sweet - it's another backyard ride for me.

Anyway, I'll continue to make all the pie runs that are convenient to me, and y'all have fun!

SSPX0007.jpg

Loretta's Cafe in Calvert... great food and 15 different pies. she said she will make any pie with a firm date and headcount.

i'll pick up a menu and scan it.

First Name
Jack
Regarding Marble Falls... the last time, we showed up late and the line was out the door... we simply went about two blocks toward the river and found a place on the river with a meeting room that would seat 50+ and even more room in the restaurant proper. I can't tell you the name, but it overlooks the river and shouldn't be hard to find. The food and service were very good.
It's called the "river city grill". Rockmantx and I went to a MTF RTE there with a good sized crowd. Steve and I talked about this place just the other day concerning this thread. They have a banquet room we could probably get and Steve seemed to think it is owned by the same people as the Bluebonnet and they had taken dessert request before hand so they could take care of the group. This is a lot nicer place and the RTE we went to their went off without a hitch.

I like it better than the bluebonnet.

link to restaurant is here.

anyone been to royers roundtop cafe in roundtop..awesome homemade pies
www.royersroundtopcafe.com
Royer's is a great place and it's a great ride from almost anywhere to get there. The pie and burgers are outstanding and Mr. Bud is most gracious even if he does have a "Harley's only" sign right out in front. It is not a "biker" place, however, and has a usually upscale crowd on Sundays when I have been there. It's right on the square and there is plenty of parking for bikes all around.

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
So what's next Chuck, a poll?
I thought this was not a democratic process
Nope. I'm a dictator. But I like to think that I am a benevolent dictator. :mrgreen:

The Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder is always good, was it on the 2010 schedule?
It wasn't in the 2010 version, we did Celina instead.

Still mulling this over... :ponder:

Have yet to check it out, but I am told it has pie and it is near Waco.

http://www.homesteadheritage.com/tour.html

Homestead Heritage
P.O. Box 869
Elm Mott, Texas 76640

(254) 754-9600

Homestead Heritage at Brazos de Dios is easily accessible, just 5 miles west of IH-35.

From IH-35, take Exit 343 and turn west on FM 308. Go 3 miles to FM 933. Turn
right (north) onto FM 933 and go 1 1/2 miles to Halbert Lane. (Watch for the signs.)
Turn left (west) onto Halbert Lane. Our Visitors Center lies 1/2 mile straight ahead
just beyond the main gate to Brazos de Dios.

Open year-round, Monday through Saturday—10 A.M. to 6 P.M.

Have yet to check it out, but I am told it has pie and it is near Waco.
Homestead Heritage
P.O. Box 869
Elm Mott, Texas 76640
(254) 754-9600

I can scout out this place if it would be more convenient for you...
it is about 8 or 9 miles ( as the crow flys ) across the river
from where I live. I can do it this week, & have an answer
by the weekend.

My buddy awalker and i were at Royers this thursday in Roundtop and he said he would welcome the group but that we would need to let him know in advance and be there at the start of the lunch (11:00 am) so we could have the whole place to ourselves...said he could accommodate 50 or so folks...he had 10 or 15 awesome pies there...plus awesome chow as well...plenty of parking and great riding in the area..dont know how many usually show up but i did the research and its up to yall to decide what its worth.

TWTim

Forum Supporter
The Slaton Bakery was a location a couple of years ago and it has great pie:eat3:. Adrian has fantastic eats but as everyone knows it is a long trip for pie. Wonder if there is any good pie locations in Marfa, Ft. Davis or Alpine.
I don't know if there's anything pie run-worthy in that area, but I'd be up for Slaton. In fact, if any of these runs end up coming further west, I'll be happy to help plan and organize. Just let me know.

First Name
Glenn
What about Mary's Cafe in Strawn, Texas? It was RideTexas magazine's top motorcycle food stop for 2010. I've eaten there(best CFS anywhere!) and there is space to park, eat, and lots of greenery along the roadways.

Another recommendation is Rudy's BBQ. There's a few of them in the Austin area.

Maybe time to put a Hill Country location on the map?...maybe Black's BBQ?

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Has "analysis paralysis" set in Chuck? :-P
Working on it :doh:

I don't know if there's anything pie run-worthy in that area, but I'd be up for Slaton. In fact, if any of these runs end up coming further west, I'll be happy to help plan and organize. Just let me know.
Tim, we have had very few recommendations westward over the past 6 years. Do you know of anything near Abilene or such? We would be happy to try something out that way, we just don't know of anything. :shrug:

What about Mary's Cafe in Strawn, Texas? It was RideTexas magazine's top motorcycle food stop for 2010. I've eaten there(best CFS anywhere!) and there is space to park, eat, and lots of greenery along the roadways.

Another recommendation is Rudy's BBQ. There's a few of them in the Austin area.

Maybe time to put a Hill Country location on the map?...maybe Black's BBQ?
Do these places have pie (that's the theme)? I have a book, Texas Landmark Cafes, that lists quite a few places but they don't mention pie... :giveup:

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
I wouldn't mind seeing us alternate locations each year. That would open up a lot of new eating places with new riding areas. We would be going back to the favorites every other year. Texas is a big state with a lot of neat cafes. I enjoy checking out new places every time I ride out. Just my 2 cents. We could always have some RTE's on the favorite places on off years. More reason to ride.
The repeats from 2009 during 2010 were Hico, Fairfield, Hutto, Edom, and Crockett. There were 4 new locations (New Waverly, Adrian, Godley, and Elgin) and 3 from previous years (Celina, Medina, Sealy).

From 2005-2010, we have visited 27 different locations out of 71 trips, some only once.

Working on it :doh:

Tim, we have had very few recommendations westward over the past 6 years. Do you know of anything near Abilene or such? We would be happy to try something out that way, we just don't know of anything. :shrug:

Do these places have pie (that's the theme)? I have a book, Texas Landmark Cafes, that lists quite a few places but they don't mention pie... :giveup:
Mary's has pie...not a lot of varieties and they would definetly need warning to get up to speed...it is more well known for the chicken fried steak and is worth the ride out there for that. So I don't think it would be a great pie run location but is good for a general weekend ride.

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
OK, I'm looking at "The Pies of Texas" page that I received from the Texan Cafe in Hutto. It is a Texas Monthly article available here. (you have to register to read the whole thing)

They list 9 locations (3 of which we have visited)

---

Garden of (Good) Eatin’ Country Cafe, Nacogdoches

Peabody’s, Goldthwaite

Texan Cafe, Hutto (TWT)

Hill Country Cupboard, Johnson City

Barth’s Restaurant, Kenedy

Love Creek Orchards Patio Cafe, Medina (TWT)

Mrs. Kathy’s Southern Comforts, Snyder

City Cafe, Elgin (TWT)

H & H Cafe and Bakery, Yoakum

Any information on the bold green ones? These look like some "west" possibilities.

---

Another site - Top 10 Places for Pie in Texas lists:

1. Love Those Love Creek Apples, Medina (TWT)

2. Happy Hour by the Slice, Blue Bonnet Cafe, Marble Falls (TWT)

3. Delicious Dozen at Koffee Kup Family Restaurant, Hico (TWT)

4. Must Be Pie Heaven, Brenham (TWT)

5. Pie in the Sky, Conroe (TWT)

6. Big Slice, Small Town, Royer's, Round Top

7. Chappell Hill Sawdust, Bevers Kitchen, Chappell Hill

8. "Life's Short. Eat More Pie.", Texas Pie Co, Kyle (TWT)

9. In Praise of Tootie, Boerne

10. One Last Bite, Midpoint Cafe, Adrian (TWT)

We have hit most of these - only one listed that is out west is Adrian! :-P

L

lonestarrider

Did a little googling and found Shirley's Burnt Biscuit in Marathon, TX. Apparently famous for Fried Pies.
I have never been there personally, wonder if Voni knows anything about the pie situation in the west or rather the Big Bend region?

We tried the Hill Country Cupboard in Johnson City a few years ago, the food was OK, didn't try the pie since it was a breakfast ride, it is a pretty decent sized place, might be able to handle the group. I think the Silver K is a bit too "upscale" to host our group, not really a "cafe", it is more of a sit down restaurant than Koffee Kup style cafe.

The Fredricksburg Pie Company is just a pie place like the The Deutsch Apple in Blanco except they have many types of pie where as the The Deutsch Apple has apple pie and breads. Fredricksburg is crazy on weekends with tourist traffic, it was crazy when we went through there on the way home last Wednesday.

We may try and visit these places next weekend to check them out.

Last edited:

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
OK, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I have something to work with.

I looked at comments and relative geographic locations. There were a bunch of comments about Royer's - my biggest concern is their size - I have never been there. If ya'll think they will be too small, I'll find a replacement.

Here is what I have (also in post #1):

Jan 29: Koffee Kup, Hico
Feb 26: Pie in the Sky, Conroe
Mar 19: Royer's Cafe, Round Top (new)
Apr 30: Mosier's (Tiffany's) Cafe, Lake Fork Marina
May 28: Floyd's Ranch House, Ingleside
Jun 25: Downtown cafe, Thorndale (new)
Jul 30: Texan Cafe, Hutto
Aug 27: Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
Sep 24: TBD, depending on recon - Peabody’s, Goldthwaite (new) or Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber (new)
Oct 29: Murphy's Steakhouse, Winchester (new)
Nov 19: Jake and Dorothy's, Stephenville (new)
Dec 31: Moosehead Cafe, Crockett, 12 noon

:shrug:

Last edited:

focus frenzy

First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
according to their web site they can seat around 40 people at Royer's.

WOO HOO!! Ingleside!! we can stay out on the Island this time!

Gilk51

First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Ponder "Ranchmans" has a great burger and cobbler as well as pie.
I had seriously considered putting Ponder in for 2011 but we had several others in the same area. Plus, several folks have mentioned not liking having to ride thru (or around) DFW to get there.

focus frenzy

First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
I had seriously considered putting Ponder in for 2011 but we had several others in the same area. Plus, several folks have mentioned not liking having to ride thru (or around) DFW to get there.
But I thought getting there was half the fun??? :scratch: LOL

As i said earlier, I talked with THE Bud Royer and told me he could handle 50 or so pie eaters...but he needs the heads up and we would need to be there before the crowds show..How many people usually show up for these things ??

Jan 29: Koffee Kup, Hico
Feb 26: Pie in the Sky, Conroe
Mar 26: Royer's Cafe, Round Top (new)
Apr 30: Mosier's (Teresa's) Cafe, Lake Fork Marina
May 28: Floyd's Ranch House, Ingleside
Jun 25: Downtown cafe, Thorndale (new)
Jul 30: Texan Cafe, Hutto
Aug 27: Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
Sep 24: TBD, depending on recon - Peabody’s, Goldthwaite (new) or Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber (new)
Oct 29: Murphy's Steakhouse, Winchester (new)
Nov 19: Jake and Dorothy's, Stephenville (new)
Dec 31: Moosehead Cafe, Crockett, 12 noon
Looks great Chuck, nice job!

First Name
James
Warning, the March date has changed and is not updated on the map below.

First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
Excellent, as always, Chuck.:clap:

If Royer's proves too small, 2010's Godley and Elgin both offered good accomodations and excellent pie.

Thanks for the list Chuck :clap:

There's only two dates that I know I can't make. The rest will work and 3 of the spots are within 100 miles from me, making for a great Saturday ride :rider:

One of my New Year's resolutions is to make more Pie Runs. Of course another one is lose weight. We'll have to see which one of those wins out :lol2:

R

Red Brown

How about Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q in Iraan, Texas...east of Ft. Stockton? I think it can handle 40-50 folks....

RB

TWTim

Forum Supporter
How about Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q in Iraan, Texas...east of Ft. Stockton? I think it can handle 40-50 folks....

RB
Heck yeah, I love that place. We ride down there all the time in the summer. The owners are avid motorcyclists, too. I don't know if they have pie, though. I'd have to call Dana and ask him. If his wife knew bunch of people were coming, though, I bet she'd go all out.

Otherwise, I'm thinking Goldthwaite in September will be a possibility for me. I'd do Hico again, but it was 4 degrees when I left Midland for the Koffee Kup last year. I don't wanna come to another pie run in the car.

I was in San Angelo today, looking for pie places, but danged if I could find any. Oh well –– seems the schedule is pretty much buttoned up, anyhow, and it's a good one at that.

Good work, Chuck. :thumb:

All that said, if anyone is interested in meeting at Mesquite Wood some Saturday just to eat BBQ, let me know and I'll be there with bells on. That's a fun ride for me, and I love eating there.

sheffride0309-006.jpg

Yes I vote for warmer weather for Hico this year. Either that or I'm going to have to break down and buy some heated gloves and socks.

Yes I vote for warmer weather for Hico this year. Either that or I'm going to have to break down and buy some heated gloves and socks.
Weather like that, you need a heated space suit. I had heated gloves last year, so my hands were the only warm spots on me by time two or three hours riding passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.