• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Well, I got home yesterday after the Crockett Pie Run, checked the forum, and promptly crashed for the evening. :yawn:

(that's why I am up early and typing)

Right about now is when I start thinking about next year and starting to assemple the list of 12 locations. Here are the proposed dates:

1/29 Koffee Kup, Hico
2/26 Pie in the Sky, Conroe
3/19 Royer's Cafe, Round Top (new)
4/30 Mosier's (Tiffany's) Cafe, Lake Fork Marina
5/28 Floyd's Ranch House, Ingleside (Mem Day weekend)
6/25 Downtown cafe, Thorndale (new)
7/30 Texan Cafe, Hutto
8/27 Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
9/24 Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber (new)
10/29 Murphy's Steakhouse, Winchester (new)
11/19 Jake and Dorothy's, Stephenville (new) (week before Thanksgiving)
12/31 Moosehead Cafe, Crockett, 12 noon (New year's Eve!)

Note: After talking with Bud at Royer's, we agreed to change the date from 26 to 19 to avoid the antique show on the last weekend. He said it is not safe for motorcycles that weekend.

I am liking the December spot as being Crockett and will probably keep it in there. Regular locations include Hico, Hutto, and Edom. We missed Ponder and Marble Falls this last year and may do them again.

May is usually the "long haul" date. Memorial Day weekend seemed to work alright in 2010, so it may stick for 2011.

I always get a few recommendations & sometimes I remember them if I don't write them down. :doh:

Andrew T wrote this yesterday: "Any thoughts for next year? I, as usual, nominate the Last Saturday in January Always fish fry and dessert auction in Deutschberg. Desserts including pie are served as well."

I had to look up where this was and got Austria! Google suggested Deutschburg but I am still not sure where it is. Looks be pretty far south, however. Texas riding in January can vary wildly.

Here are some things to consider when suggesting places:
1. can they handle the size of group, usually 40-100?
2. Do they have adequate parking?
3. Are they a "reasonable" distance away?

The primary rider concentrations are Houston, DFW, Austin/San Antonio areas. So, I usually try to schedule the "extreme" months (winter/summer) closer to inside the DFW-Houston-Austin triangle.

Anyway, suggest away. I end up making some hard decisions & please don't take it personal if we don't do the one you suggest. Of course, you can always organize your own Ride-to-Eat (RTE) and visit it.

So, how about some suggestions? :trust:

Last edited by a moderator:
Marble Falls has never impressed me. They are in a hurry to get you out the door and seat us in scattered fashion throughout the building. Socializing is tough except for the parking lot. I've never felt they were very friendly either.

Marble Falls has never impressed me. They are in a hurry to get you out the door and seat us in scattered fashion throughout the building. Socializing is tough except for the parking lot. I've never felt they were very friendly either.

I have only been there once and didn't have an issue with the friendliness, but I agree with Kurt that they are not really set up to handle a group of our size in addition to their regular high number of customers.

This place probably would be custom made for a Pie Run. Just one problem, it would have to be a long weekend as it's in Hermann, Mo :lol2:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=122.png

Being more serious, I enjoyed the place in Godley this year.

I agree, as busy as they usually are it just doesn't seem to work well with our group. It is a much better option for just a few riders together rather than a large group. In the Austin area I think the Hutto location is optimal, not as nice of a ride but the location works better.

For a place more on the far west side of Austin-San Antonio, there is Lum's BBQ in Junction that might be worthy of consideration. I will try and stop there for lunch on the way back from Monahans after Christmas.

Chuck, I like Hico to start the year because if I can get there in January (28 degrees!) it feels like a real achievment. :)
I, too, like Godley. Elgin food was good.
Geographically, Crockett was good but I thought the food was average at best and pie choices were quite limited.
Edom always draws a nice metroplex crowd, as did Mosiers at Lake Fork though it's been a couple of years since it was on the schedule. East Texas Burger Company in Mineola was a good EastTex spot, too, in years past.

Someone else will have to critique the outliers in far west and far south.

Good luck.

And thanks, Chuck.:clap:

I like the East Texas Burger Company but parking there always seems to be a challenge even for smaller goups. I too think the food in Crockett is only average at best and you better like coconut, apple or Mississippi mud pie.

One place I ran into this summer that is really good is the Highway 77 Cafe in Rosebub, Tx. The food is exceptional. Pie's are limited on their menu but they do have cakes and puddings to supplement them (I can recommend the carrot cake). menu . Parking would not be a problem but their dinning room can only handle about 50 or 60 people at one time.

Jewel's in Hawkins might be a candidate. Two inside dining rooms plus one out doors. The food is pretty good. Only three pies on the menu.

Chuck....any thoughts on a return to the Corpus Christi/Rockport area?

yes! I didn't get a chance to check out the aircraft carrier last time, and the pre-pie dinner out on Mustang island was fun, my first time on a ferry.

Hello, yesterday in Crockett was our first pie run, and we had a great time, , i think we should look at in Riverside, " A little pizza heaven," the parking is good, and the food is great, and also the prices are good, low, :rider::eat:

I'd like to find out more about the Junction location so we have a more westerly location.

Another place to consider is the Downtown cafe in Thorndale. Plenty of room, good food, ice cream and pies. http://www.thorndaledtc.com/

I don't know about everyone else, but I would like us to try some different locations instead of the same oh same oh each year. It would be fun to try out some different roads getting to new places.

Steve

Blanco Bowling Alley has some room (reserve the back?), great riding, and good pie.

Fayetteville?

Burnet?

I agree with Skip. I'd forgotten Sam's. Lots of
(a) Pie
(b) Seating
(c) Parking, and
(d) More Pie

It is a pie run.

I've always been partial to the Smokestack in Thurber. Not that far from Hico so not sure you want another one in the same general area, but it's a great place. Website says they can accomodate groups up to 130.

http://www.smokestack.net/menu.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back