• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chappell Hill Cafe - outside of Brenham on 290 East from Houston. Great food and friendly service. Decent roads heading out with 290 in case you are in a hurry.

Andrew T wrote this yesterday: "Any thoughts for next year? I, as usual, nominate the Last Saturday in January Always fish fry and dessert auction in Deutschberg. Desserts including pie are served as well."

I had to look up where this was and got Austria! Google suggested Deutschburg but I am still not sure where it is. Looks be pretty far south, however. Texas riding in January can vary wildly.

The location in question comes up as "Deutschburg School" on Google Earth, and is just northwest of Palacios and southwest of Blessing. I'm not insistent, by any means - it's 60 miles for me and I've caged it every time so far! Nonetheless, I'd love to see a pie run stop outside the "triangle" on the south side. I appreciate the attraction of keeping the rides reasonable for the majority of the TWT readership, but please reach out to those of us on the "outside". JJHonek's suggestion of Port A is sweet - it's another backyard ride for me.

Anyway, I'll continue to make all the pie runs that are convenient to me, and y'all have fun!

SSPX0007.jpg

Loretta's Cafe in Calvert... great food and 15 different pies. she said she will make any pie with a firm date and headcount.

i'll pick up a menu and scan it.

Regarding Marble Falls... the last time, we showed up late and the line was out the door... we simply went about two blocks toward the river and found a place on the river with a meeting room that would seat 50+ and even more room in the restaurant proper. I can't tell you the name, but it overlooks the river and shouldn't be hard to find. The food and service were very good.

It's called the "river city grill". Rockmantx and I went to a MTF RTE there with a good sized crowd. Steve and I talked about this place just the other day concerning this thread. They have a banquet room we could probably get and Steve seemed to think it is owned by the same people as the Bluebonnet and they had taken dessert request before hand so they could take care of the group. This is a lot nicer place and the RTE we went to their went off without a hitch.

I like it better than the bluebonnet.

link to restaurant is here.

anyone been to royers roundtop cafe in roundtop..awesome homemade pies
www.royersroundtopcafe.com

Royer's is a great place and it's a great ride from almost anywhere to get there. The pie and burgers are outstanding and Mr. Bud is most gracious even if he does have a "Harley's only" sign right out in front. It is not a "biker" place, however, and has a usually upscale crowd on Sundays when I have been there. It's right on the square and there is plenty of parking for bikes all around.

So what's next Chuck, a poll?
I thought this was not a democratic process

Nope. I'm a dictator. But I like to think that I am a benevolent dictator. :mrgreen:

The Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder is always good, was it on the 2010 schedule?

It wasn't in the 2010 version, we did Celina instead.

Still mulling this over... :ponder:

Have yet to check it out, but I am told it has pie and it is near Waco.

http://www.homesteadheritage.com/tour.html

Homestead Heritage
P.O. Box 869
Elm Mott, Texas 76640

(254) 754-9600

Homestead Heritage at Brazos de Dios is easily accessible, just 5 miles west of IH-35.

From IH-35, take Exit 343 and turn west on FM 308. Go 3 miles to FM 933. Turn
right (north) onto FM 933 and go 1 1/2 miles to Halbert Lane. (Watch for the signs.)
Turn left (west) onto Halbert Lane. Our Visitors Center lies 1/2 mile straight ahead
just beyond the main gate to Brazos de Dios.

Open year-round, Monday through Saturday—10 A.M. to 6 P.M.

Have yet to check it out, but I am told it has pie and it is near Waco.
Homestead Heritage
P.O. Box 869
Elm Mott, Texas 76640
(254) 754-9600

I can scout out this place if it would be more convenient for you...
it is about 8 or 9 miles ( as the crow flys ) across the river
from where I live. I can do it this week, & have an answer
by the weekend.

Ya'll can always come my way again.
The Slaton Bakery was a location a couple of years ago and it has great pie:eat3:. Adrian has fantastic eats but as everyone knows it is a long trip for pie. Wonder if there is any good pie locations in Marfa, Ft. Davis or Alpine.

My buddy awalker and i were at Royers this thursday in Roundtop and he said he would welcome the group but that we would need to let him know in advance and be there at the start of the lunch (11:00 am) so we could have the whole place to ourselves...said he could accommodate 50 or so folks...he had 10 or 15 awesome pies there...plus awesome chow as well...plenty of parking and great riding in the area..dont know how many usually show up but i did the research and its up to yall to decide what its worth.

The Slaton Bakery was a location a couple of years ago and it has great pie:eat3:. Adrian has fantastic eats but as everyone knows it is a long trip for pie. Wonder if there is any good pie locations in Marfa, Ft. Davis or Alpine.

I don't know if there's anything pie run-worthy in that area, but I'd be up for Slaton. In fact, if any of these runs end up coming further west, I'll be happy to help plan and organize. Just let me know.

What about Mary's Cafe in Strawn, Texas? It was RideTexas magazine's top motorcycle food stop for 2010. I've eaten there(best CFS anywhere!) and there is space to park, eat, and lots of greenery along the roadways.

Another recommendation is Rudy's BBQ. There's a few of them in the Austin area.

Maybe time to put a Hill Country location on the map?...maybe Black's BBQ?

Has "analysis paralysis" set in Chuck? :-P

Working on it :doh:

I don't know if there's anything pie run-worthy in that area, but I'd be up for Slaton. In fact, if any of these runs end up coming further west, I'll be happy to help plan and organize. Just let me know.

Tim, we have had very few recommendations westward over the past 6 years. Do you know of anything near Abilene or such? We would be happy to try something out that way, we just don't know of anything. :shrug:

What about Mary's Cafe in Strawn, Texas? It was RideTexas magazine's top motorcycle food stop for 2010. I've eaten there(best CFS anywhere!) and there is space to park, eat, and lots of greenery along the roadways.

Another recommendation is Rudy's BBQ. There's a few of them in the Austin area.

Maybe time to put a Hill Country location on the map?...maybe Black's BBQ?

Do these places have pie (that's the theme)? I have a book, Texas Landmark Cafes, that lists quite a few places but they don't mention pie... :giveup:

I wouldn't mind seeing us alternate locations each year. That would open up a lot of new eating places with new riding areas. We would be going back to the favorites every other year. Texas is a big state with a lot of neat cafes. I enjoy checking out new places every time I ride out. Just my 2 cents. We could always have some RTE's on the favorite places on off years. More reason to ride.

The repeats from 2009 during 2010 were Hico, Fairfield, Hutto, Edom, and Crockett. There were 4 new locations (New Waverly, Adrian, Godley, and Elgin) and 3 from previous years (Celina, Medina, Sealy).

From 2005-2010, we have visited 27 different locations out of 71 trips, some only once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back