• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will there be a May Pie run? Are kids welcome? Just joined the club so wanting to meet a few of you.. Normally ride with my wife and kids on 2 motorbikes.. Don't want to upset anyone so thought I should ask if it's kid friendly before we arrive!!

Okay thanks Guys, I was looking for a sticky with the year set out, by going back 3 sheets I found the schedule for 2011!! Hope to make either 30th Apr or 28th May but without the dog or inlaws!!

Bring 'em all! Usually quite a variety of bikes. The April Pie Run thread is here.

2011 schedule is this thread(!) see post #1 :lol2: here.

May run to Floyd's in Ingleside.....

You bet I'll be there...

I live 3 blocks away! :rofl:

Actually, my son can ride his dirt bike there too. I'll be on my KLR.

As a side, I can lend support in the way of air, tools, covered work area, etc. if anybody need help or has problems. Like I said, I'm only 3 blocks from Floyds. We walk there from time to time.

Looking forward to it.

Slim40

Well, Holly says she'll ride with me to Ingleside. it ain't far from here, but she's a little antzy about getting on the KLR. She married me knowing full well she'd probably have to do that some day. Must be love. :lol2: Anyway, she should figure it it ain't that bad after a few blocks, until I get her on SPID/Crosstown....:rofl: I need to find the address of this place as I can't remember how to get there and have a GPS. It's on a major road as I recall. How hard could it be after the Ingleside exit?

Not to worry, Jack, I'll have the thread up shortly and it will have an address and a map. :zen:

(yep, it's a major road, looks like 361...)

Last edited:
Floyd's in Ingleside

Easy to get to from CC! Take Hwy 35/181 North towards Portland/Rockport. Stay on 35 at Portland. Exit on Hwy 361 towards Ingleside/Port Aransas. Stay straight on 361 when you get into Ingleside. After the 2nd light (across from the big park on right) look for Floyds on the left. It's about 2 blocks after the 2nd light. If you get to Ave "A", you've gone too far.

Looking forward to meeting many TWT riders!

Slim40

Re: Floyd's in Ingleside

Easy to get to from CC! Take Hwy 35/181 North towards Portland/Rockport. Stay on 35 at Portland. Exit on Hwy 361 towards Ingleside/Port Aransas. Stay straight on 361 when you get into Ingleside. After the 2nd light (across from the big park on right) look for Floyds on the left. It's about 2 blocks after the 2nd light. If you get to Ave "A", you've gone too far.

Looking forward to meeting many TWT riders!

Slim40

So are you going to make this pie run or is it to close to start the bike for?:rofl: J/K

This is the closest one to my house except it always happens to be on a month when I'm in NM.:doh: I'm going to try to make this one anyways.:pray:

It starts REAL easy - just push a button!

You kiddin' me? HAHA! I'll start my KLR just to go to the mailbox 1 block away! Who needs that exercise stuff when you've got a bike!

Like I said, my son & I can take the RR tracks to the vacant lot across the road from Floyds, through the lot and cross the street to PIE TOWN!:eat:

Just waitin' for the new ride thread....

Slim40

Chuck, when do you think you'll nail down the September location?

I keep thinking that I'll make it down to Goldwaite to check out that location but haven't gotten to it yet. Would by the 4th of July be too late? It would either be there or the Smokestack (Thurber) on I20.

The fare at the Downtown Cafe (Thorndale) was excellent, and I would probably go there again for the Pie Run, but they were totally unprepared to handle the crowd. I think we were there for a couple of hours and only had food for the last 30 minutes or so.

I know that the organizers call ahead to let these places know. The food was terrific but the wait was ridiculous. I'd have a very frank discussion with them about it before scheduling them again. It's not a crime to not be able to staff up and handle a larger crowd for a day...but don't tell the crowd you can.

The last 2 years, I have sent a letter in January to all of the locations scheduled for that year. I explain the Pie Run and that we have had as many as 120 on occasion. I typically call or email the restaurant during the month that they are scheduled. I talked to the DC owner twice, the latest was the Thursday before. I told him that we were expecting 50 or more from several directions.

I guess he didn't believe me. :shrug:

They were scheduled to open at 11:00 but it sounds like some folks got in earlier...

The last 2 years, I have sent a letter in January to all of the locations scheduled for that year. I explain the Pie Run and that we have had as many as 120 on occasion. I typically call or email the restaurant during the month that they are scheduled. I talked to the DC owner twice, the latest was the Thursday before. I told him that we were expecting 50 or more from several directions.

I guess he didn't believe me. :shrug:

They were scheduled to open at 11:00 but it sounds like some folks got in earlier...

Chuck you are doing a great job with giving an advanced heads up to places. This isn't the first place nor the last that this will happen at. Small places just aren't used to having a huge herd of people show up all at once. I got there a little early and our service was pretty good, and as mentioned before the food was great.

It also appeared to me that almost twice as many people showed up than RSVP'ed in your thread. If twice as many people show up than planned it is real hard for any small place to plan for the right amount staff and food.

I look at these as social events, so if service is slow you have more time to flap jaw.

1) I hope that didn't sound like any kind of slam on Chuck. I don't THINK it did, but hey, just in case... Chuck does an awesome job.
2) I guess I was just on the tail end that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. We walked in at 11:15 and didn't get out until almost 1:30, and most everyone had gone, so it was odd trying to socialize not knowing when your waitress was going to be at your table for anything.

I can't wait for the next pie run, Winchester is only 130 miles, as opposed to the 250+ it normally is. :rider:

Well it would only be about 100 miles for me more or less but my work schedule has changed so I won't be able to go.

For 2012, how about McGehee's Catfish Restaurant in Marietta, OK? About 15 or so miles north of the state line, not far from I35, with several nice, twisty, back road approach routes.

Family owned, very bike friendly, and they even have a couple of private party rooms that could accommodate groups of fifty or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back