• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure/Challenge Ride Reports

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Let's get this started and post up your pictures and stories from the weekend.

Well, I didn't go much anywhere. But I bought me a new toy.....

Just what I was looking for. Only 20' from hitch to bumper, queen sized bed, huge C-shaped dinette for comfy evening lounging, and the whole thing weighs in, as equipped, at under 2900 lb.

Attachments

• 2012-0417 (3).jpg
    2012-0417 (3).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 292
Well, I didn't go much anywhere. But I bought me a new toy.....

Just what I was looking for. Only 20' from hitch to bumper, queen sized bed, huge C-shaped dinette for comfy evening lounging, and the whole thing weighs in, as equipped, at under 2900 lb.
Possibly the wrong thread, but looks great, drop back?

Well I think another group of satisfied, tired folks will be here soon, but I just wanted to say thanks, Richard, another great event. I rode with Richard, John Smiley, Dirt bike Dave, and Big A...what a blast. I have ridden with all before, 'cept Jon, but after this weekend, I have nicknamed Richard: hair on fire, and Jon: scalded dog. Richard is a machine with a butt that has no feelings. :lol2:
And thanks to Connie and Max, nice job. Thanks to Uncle for playing golf and standing by.

Well I think another group of satisfied, tired folks will be here soon, but I just wanted to say thanks, Richard, another great event. I rode with Richard, John Smiley, Dirt bike Dave, and Big A...what a blast. I have ridden with all before, 'cept Jon, but after this weekend, I have nicknamed Richard: hair on fire, and Jon: scalded dog. Richard is a machine with a butt that has no feelings. :lol2:
And thanks to Connie and Max, nice job. Thanks to Uncle for playing golf and standing by.

"Scalded Dog"....hummmm.... I have to come up with an avatar for that one!

Loved riding with you guys! Ready for another one already. I need a lighter bike though. The F800 wore me out.

Sander I hope who ever hit the fence is OK?

here are few photos from the ride from Waco to Junction

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

this is Cecil and his pack mule DRZ, I saw him first headed north and he south, then later on I was snacking and he rolled up and we talked about a few roads and went different ways

IMG_0885.jpg

this is Fields Creek Rd

IMG_0887.jpg

Art-Hedgewig Hill Rd

IMG_0888.jpg

James River

startrekkhan390.jpg

JAMES RIVER!!!

Sander I hope who ever hit the fence is OK?

Jbay,
He was able to ride back and made the banquet but he was really sore as expected and having trouble with his right knee, probably a doctors visit tomorrow. He's the one wearing the yellow Arai.

Darn cattle guards at the apex...

IMG_8208.jpg
IMG_8209.jpg

The offending turn is at the :17 mark

I had almost as much fun hangin' out around the Motel as riding, almost...
018-1.jpg
016-3.jpg
013-1.jpg
009-1.jpg
008-1.jpg
006-1.jpg
005-3.jpg
004-1.jpg
002-3.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQZi7h-C-bc"]Yardracer - YouTube[/ame]

:dude:Richard , what can I say, riding with ya'll Friday was a BLAST!!! I think the TAC was a hit and can't wait until next year,
Best of all was seeing all my favorite riding buddies and friends,and sharing riding stories and a couple beverages:chug::party:
Also thanks to Big Don for having an extra shirt for me to wear in Del Rio, as that was one thing I forgot to pack, and I don't think anyone would of ate with me if I wore the shirt I rode in all day:thumb:
This weekend was the first ride for me on Pandale road, I would recomend that if you are anywhere close to this you need to hop on because it is a GREAT!! ride. Again can't wait until next year:clap::clap:

Hey Riders.

Thanks to all for coming out for TAR and the inaugural Texas Adventure Challenge. I can't adequately express my appreciation for all the support and participation.

I can't mention everyone who provided help and assistance this weekend but I would like to mention a few people in particular.

Robert Krull from Lone Star BMW, Jeff Johnston from Mag Motorsports (formerly Moto-Adv), and Bill with Butler Maps provided door prize donations - thank you from all of us for your support and generosity.

John Thompson, Jack Jeter, and Vinny volunteered to be the sweep team for Challenge. Their job was to help any riders who needed assistance and to ensure no riders got left out on the course. It also meant they spent 2 long days on their bikes and were the last to finish both ride days. You guys are fantastic!

Connie and Uncle were key support again this year. Connie not only handled rider registration and banquet duties, she also agreed to be luggage transport for the Challenge riders. Uncle handled rescue duties both days - retrieving riders whose bikes broke down during the ride. Thank you to both of you for your help.

At the start of the rally Connie was bright eyed and full of energy.
201204TAR35-56-XL.jpg

After 4 long work days she was a little tired.
201204TAR35-73-XL.jpg

Attendance at this year's event was up - 94 riders registered for TAR and 57 riders signed up for the Challenge.

201204TAR35-54-L.jpg

See y'all at the next one.

:dude:Richard , what can I say, riding with ya'll Friday was a BLAST!!! I think the TAC was a hit and can't wait until next year,
Best of all was seeing all my favorite riding buddies and friends,and sharing riding stories and a couple beverages:chug::party:
Also thanks to Big Don for having an extra shirt for me to wear in Del Rio, as that was one thing I forgot to pack, and I don't think anyone would of ate with me if I wore the shirt I rode in all day:thumb:
This weekend was the first ride for me on Pandale road, I would recomend that if you are anywhere close to this you need to hop on because it is a GREAT!! ride. Again can't wait until next year:clap::clap:

Enjoyed meeting and riding with you too, Big A! Keep me posted on your ride plans. I'd love to meet up with you and do some riding and some camping up north.

so after the riders meeting I ran to my bike and there were already 3 or 4 riders leaving, no sense in burning daylight

unlike the day before there were giant dust storms this morning, generated by a 990 adventurer and a 1125 Buell (John and Bob from M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I), and another 650L (Mr Tommy from Corpus); we pulled up to the James River and Tommy jumped right in and me after (I had walked the deep end the day before), we cleared it and the big bikes followed and we were gone before the cameras and circus showed up

we were out front, but John later picked up a flat, so I supervised and took more photos, the pit crew worked furiously as riders passed us by...

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

What Great time !! Really enjoyed the ride and the Fellowship!!

Here's few Pics

112.jpg

James River Claims Another

108-2.jpg

No damage cep for a little pride

133.jpg

I think there's a kitchen sink on there somewhere

347-1.jpg

127-1.jpg

168.jpg

219.jpg

207.jpg

Does this void the warranty

277.jpg

292.jpg

314.jpg

Crossing the James River with butterfly guts on the camera lens (makes it harder you know). :mrgreen:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeeJXmzhSnY"]Crossing James River TAC 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

8 of us got together to ride from Austin to Junction on Thursday. I had plotted a route that included some beautiful vistas, fine hill country twisties, fun dirt roads, and interesting water crossings.

One of the views along the Willow City Loop
201204TAR35-2-L.jpg

John took his GS off-road for a short excursion. Rider and bike were okay.
201204TAR35-8-L.jpg

Enchanted Rock is still there and looking good.
201204TAR35-9-L.jpg

Everyone wanted to take my picture. At least, that's what I told myself. The truth is that I was standing in the way of their picture of Enchanted Rock. :)
201204TAR35-10-L.jpg

Part of the fun of a group ride is getting to visit during the breaks.
201204TAR35-11-L.jpg

Jon rides his 800GS like it's a 250 lb dirt bike. During the three days we rode together I figured out that there is no speed or pace that is too fast for him. However fast you want or dare to go, he will be right there with you the entire time.
201204TAR35-12-L.jpg

The water crossings were actually water crossings this year. As opposed to dry crossings as they have been the last 2 years due to the drought.
201204TAR35-18-L.jpg

201204TAR35-20-L.jpg

201204TAR35-22-L.jpg

I was able to get photos of everyone in the group at the above water crossings. Click on the link if you want to see them.

Salt Branch Road never fails to satisfy.
201204TAR35-26-L.jpg

201204TAR35-32-L.jpg

Last edited:
Sander, I am the guy in the yellow jacket on the yellow DRZ400E, THANK YOU for the great photo!!!!

John, hope you made the trip home uneventful. It was great getting to meet you, camp together and ride some great roads.:clap:

John, hope you made the trip home uneventful. It was great getting to meet you, camp together and ride some great roads.:clap:

I hope you enjoyed the nice weather going home:sun:. Thank you for your support this weekend, I had such a good time I wanted to stay and keep riding. Please contact me for any rides in the future and I promise to have enough gas;-).

Laura and I had a blast out there! We rode in Friday, hit some of the TAR tracks just outside of Fredericksburg and took dirt to Junction. Met a couple of great guys, Cotton and Andy (I don't know their forum handles) on the way, set up camp at the Llano RV park - which I highly recommend for several reasons (clean facilities, proximity to Llano river, proximity to beer, firewood delivery, etc...) - and had a blast Saturday. I ended up with a dead battery Saturday morning as we were pulling out of the Best Western for the group ride. With lots of help from outsiders (I can't even name you all), we found an acid battery at NAPA that was ziptied and duct taped into place. They did not have a battery the right size. We headed out a couple hours later with no problems whatsoever and had a great ride on the Western Loop. We were sad to have missed riding with the group, but we had a pretty awesome time regardless. On Sunday, we got to ride with some other friends that we met and played with at the campgrounds.

Met tons of great people, and will definitely be in for next year! Maybe attempt the TAC next year too. What a treat this ride was. Thanks to TrailBoss and Uncle and Rusty and whoever else for putting it together. (AND JEFF, wherever you are, for helping so much with my bike!!!)

There is a pretty apparent lack of estrogen at these events. One man suggested renaming it to the "Wildflower and White Butterfly Ride" in an attempt to get some more women out there. ;-) I'm going to try to get a small group together for next year to see if we can have better than a ~3% showing!

:clap :ricky :dutch

april2012-014-M.jpg

april2012-031-M.jpg

april2012-019-M.jpg

april2012-052-M.jpg

april2012-058-M.jpg

april2012-067-M.jpg

april2012-075-M.jpg

amywater-M.jpg

James River Claims Another

108-2.jpg

:lol2:That was me, Bill. I claim the bike went down, but I didn't, the engine never even died...didn't even get water in my boots, so the next pic is of somebody else. All of your pics are good, so I guess shootn' prairie dogs in the panhandle isn't your only hobby.

Back