• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure/Challenge Ride Reports

Laura and I had a blast out there! We rode in Friday, hit some of the TAR tracks just outside of Fredericksburg and took dirt to Junction. Met a couple of great guys, Cotton and Andy (I don't know their forum handles) on the way, set up camp at the Llano RV park - which I highly recommend for several reasons (clean facilities, proximity to Llano river, proximity to beer, firewood delivery, etc...) - and had a blast Saturday. I ended up with a dead battery Saturday morning as we were pulling out of the Best Western for the group ride. With lots of help from outsiders (I can't even name you all), we found an acid battery at NAPA that was ziptied and duct taped into place. They did not have a battery the right size. We headed out a couple hours later with no problems whatsoever and had a great ride on the Western Loop. We were sad to have missed riding with the group, but we had a pretty awesome time regardless. On Sunday, we got to ride with some other friends that we met and played with at the campgrounds.

Met tons of great people, and will definitely be in for next year! Maybe attempt the TAC next year too. What a treat this ride was. Thanks to TrailBoss and Uncle and Rusty and whoever else for putting it together. (AND JEFF, wherever you are, for helping so much with my bike!!!)

Glad you managed to get the bike going on Saturday. I helped a little. Jack from CMA helped with the charging. The other guy helping I didn't catch his name, but he had the hydro-locked GSA and I wandered away before I got the whole story so i hope to meet up with him again. He was all over your bike getting the vent hose run and helping with the zip tie battery strap. Nice of him to stay and help out when he could have easily just packed up and headed home with his bike. But honestly, that is typical behavior out there. Friday night we had a crowd working on another bike in the parking lot. They ended up pulling the carb on that one to find the problem. I wonder how many flats and other problems were solved on the side of the road? I doubt anybody had to deal with those problems all by themselves.

Anyway, glad you made it and had a good time. Next time I'll wander over and visit if I camp by you two instead crawling into bed early.

I am interested to hear from people that did the challenge on how it went, did they like it, do they plan on doing it again? Is it something I could do on my Tenere' or would it have to be done on the WR250.

I like all the pics and post, I just can't tell which ones are from the Challenge. :popcorn:

Anyway, glad you made it and had a good time. Next time I'll wander over and visit if I camp by you two instead crawling into bed early.

aHA! Woodbutcher = Rusty! Thank you Rusty, for all you did. The guys name with the waterlogged GS was Jeff. I owe him a big thanks! I thought I'd see him again, but we left the banquet a tad early so I didn't get to chat with him.

Yes, definitely come over to our campground! That's where the party was at in Junction! :chug:

James River Claims Another

108-2.jpg

:lol2:That was me, Bill. I claim the bike went down, but I didn't, the engine never even died...didn't even get water in my boots, so the next pic is of somebody else. All of your pics are good, so I guess shootn' prairie dogs in the panhandle isn't your only hobby.

So many pics it's hard to put a face with a bike and a helmet sometimes.

Yep still guiding Prairie Dog Hunts. They tend to party too much sometimes

100_2205.jpg

Thanks Sander for letting me tag-a-long with your merry band of Adventurer's for the short window of opportunity I had to ride. We covered ground fast yet still had time to visit a little, perfect!
041-1.jpg
019-2.jpg
020-1.jpg
021-1.jpg
024-1.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkT4bu65ze8"]Scenic CR 412, Kimble County - YouTube[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ORnnsxD4"]West Bear Creek - YouTube[/ame]

I am interested to hear from people that did the challenge on how it went, did they like it, do they plan on doing it again? Is it something I could do on my Tenere' or would it have to be done on the WR250.

I like all the pics and post, I just can't tell which ones are from the Challenge. :popcorn:

I did the TAC on a R1150GSA and it was fun. On a little bike, it would have been more challenging IMHO. 350 miles is a long time in the saddle, so having nice wind protection and a comfy seat made it more comfortable. Had there been a really bad section of road, then yes the WR250R, but the roads were all passable, so a big bike was no problem.

I was set to bring my WR in case it had rained a bunch the week before, but it wasn't needed this year.

I would like to do it again, if my schedule allows.

Richard,

Any feedback about Farmer Jenkin's (or something like that) road his grand father put in being public? I might like to ride some of these roads again, and I don't want to trespass. BTW, other than the street sign on the corner, there were no other signs I saw back there about private land that I recall.

Rick, I'm sure you'll hear plenty opinions. There were all sizes of bikes on the challenge, 2 Teneres that I recall, 2 Transalps, several GSAs, 990s, and on down to 250s, several WRs I think, I rode a DRZ400, don't know if I woulda wanted to do it on a 250, cuz there were a few long hwy runs...but if you hook up with a group that wants to run less than 70 on the slabs, no prob.

I did the TAC on a R1150GSA and it was fun. On a little bike, it would have been more challenging IMHO. 350 miles is a long time in the saddle, so having nice wind protection and a comfy seat made it more comfortable. Had there been a really bad section of road, then yes the WR250R, but the roads were all passable, so a big bike was no problem.

I was set to bring my WR in case it had rained a bunch the week before, but it wasn't needed this year.

I would like to do it again, if my schedule allows.

I didn't know you were there, or just din't recognize you...weren't you the one that had the bad wipeout in Hamilton? If so, didn't figure you back for a while.

We had a great encounter with a landowner who wants her road closed, but after a polite conversation I believe she feels differently. A rider in the past spooked her cattle and she said he didn't seem to care, don't set a bad example-this is too much fun! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xMCsasCIo"]Sander the Statesman - YouTube[/ame]
029.jpg
031.jpg
032.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NuFcW7eM9c"]Wrong Way in the Blue Mountains! - YouTube[/ame]

2nd day of the TAC rode with Big Don, his friend John and Big A, and Mr Tommy who had a new 2 gal gas tank strapped to the back of his XRL

here is John, he brings spare tires and spare shoes

IMG_0908.jpg

and Big Don, our excellent ride guide, found all the hidden spots

IMG_0907.jpg

Pecos River bridge my first trip

IMG_0906.jpg

all smiles

IMG_0905.jpg

hope everyone had a great ride!!!

Last edited:
I didn't know you were there, or just din't recognize you...weren't you the one that had the bad wipeout in Hamilton? If so, didn't figure you back for a while.

Thats the problem with these screen names. I don't always connect the screen names with the faces. Yeah, I had the wreck at the first Roll the Bones and I was there in Del Rio helping you drink your surplus beers. Thanks for the beer!

I'm not smart enough to stop riding.

BTW, the third Roll the Bones is October 26-28 at the Circle T in Hamilton. Somebody here ask about it.

8 of us got together to ride from Austin to Junction on Thursday. I had plotted a route that included some beautiful vistas, fine hill country twisties, fun dirt roads, and interesting water crossings.

Salt Branch Road never fails to satisfy.
201204TAR35-26-L.jpg

Richard,
Thanks for putting this together and thanks for a great ride from Buda to Junction. You've posted my favorite picture of me too :zen:

I had an awesome time and met some really good people.

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

Thats the problem with these screen names. I don't always connect the screen names with the faces. Yeah, I had the wreck at the first Roll the Bones and I was there in Del Rio helping you drink your surplus beers. Thanks for the beer!

I'm not smart enough to stop riding.

BTW, the third Roll the Bones is October 26-28 at the Circle T in Hamilton. Somebody here ask about it.

:chug: Ahh, Dave, with Alex.. "the two big dudes"...glad you got back on the trail. I'm much better with faces too, I think we all are at the big events.

I am interested to hear from people that did the challenge on how it went, did they like it, do they plan on doing it again? Is it something I could do on my Tenere' or would it have to be done on the WR250.>>>>>:

There were several of us doing TAC on Super Tenere's and they handled the dirt roads well, although I wish I had a more agressive front tire than the Anakee 2. The long stretches of pavement were a pleasure on the big bikes...

Attachments

• Two Super Teneres.jpg
    Two Super Teneres.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Super Teneres on the road.jpg
    Super Teneres on the road.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 260
What happens when you try to pass the Boss....

A few random picts:
IMG1187-L.jpg

Looks like Judge Bean left a few shots in one of those bottles....
IMG1192-L.jpg

IMG1179-XL.jpg

Class 5 Team
IMG1183-L.jpg

Chris working on his tire
IMG1153-L.jpg

Trailside Tattoos
IMG1160-L.jpg

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
IMG1172-L.jpg

Hamp, Garland, and I had a great time riding the Challenge. Too bad Hamp had to head home early.

Bluebonnets still good on Althaus-Davis Road

TAC-2012-004a-L.jpg

Llano River on RR1871

TAC-2012-020a-L.jpg

Too bad nobody showed up.

TAC-2012-030a-L.jpg

Garland and I at Polly's Chapel

TAC-2012-037a-L.jpg

At the Pecos Bridge

TAC-2012-038a-L.jpg

At the Langtry overlook

TAC-2012-065a-L.jpg

Pandale

TAC-2012-072a-L.jpg

TAC-2012-080a-L.jpg

Almost back to Junction

TAC-2012-082a-L.jpg

TAC-2012-087a-L.jpg

TAC-2012-094a-L.jpg

TAC-2012-095a-L.jpg

Back home Sunday, 926 miles total. Somehow managed not to fall down.

TAC-2012-098a-L.jpg

Looks like a fantastic weekend for a great ride! Lots of water crossings, beautiful views, and a lot of lasting friendships. Thats what its all about! Looking forward to hearing more about the route to Del Rio. The pics of Pecos bridge are first Ive seen, its stunning. A big thanks to everyone that worked hard to put on this event too! :clap::clap::clap:

First water crossing on the western loop. A little elderly lady drove up within about 15 minutes and asked if she could help. Said she knew a young man down the road that could help if he was at home. I dragged my bike off to the side to let her by. In about 20 minutes he shows up, jumped out of the car still wearing his pajamas and with some effort on the slippery algae we got it up rolled to dry ground.
100_0325-1.jpg

Laurie with her companion who barks proximity warning deer alerts.
100_0320-1.jpg

I decided to share the road with this feller. We stared at each other for a moment. It was probably trying to remember how the old mnemonic went …. was it orange to white kill a snake ??? My mnemonic is snake bad even if it’s dressed in a tuxedo.
100_0329.jpg

Caught up with these guys a few miles outside of Rock Springs working on fueling issue. Had the problem pretty much resolved with fuel from a donor bike, but were happy to take a gallon from one of two spares I normally carry. Thanks for the offer of the Buffalo Burger.
100_0326-1.jpg

What a great time! Can't remember having more fun on two wheels!

As many of you, our group of four headed south to Junction via some dirt mostly so we would not show up with shinny, clean bikes. This is the Regency Bridge in Mills County, crossing the Colorado River on CR 433.
IMG1353-L.jpg

The after shot - TJ demonstrating his leadership skills with the first "get off" of our group ride in search of Old Junction Road.
IMG1391-L.jpg

I'd like to thank Don, Josh, and Mike for helping me up with my ride after my slip and slide experience!
IMG1413-L.jpg

Old Junction Road? No, but what a great place to be lost!
IMG1420-L.jpg

One of my fav shots along the Western Loop...
IMG1401-L.jpg

Much thanks to all that helped with getting my ride home for revitalization. In hind site, I am so thankful she didn't start after her Cedar Creek baptism! The nose cone on the starter stressed due to hydrolock. The good news - had we been able to get her running she probably would not have gone too far. She got home with 2 1/2 quarts more fluid than the four quarts of oil she started the trip with.
photo-28-L.jpg

There is more to it than just dumb luck when one of four vehicles we see on the lower loop below Rocksprings is pulling an empty low boy trailer! Here is David and his family with my gal on her second conveyance of the day/lifetime, headed north to Junction Friday evening.
photo-29-L.jpg

Just as much fun as riding - modifying German engineering for more cranking amps...
IMG1438-L.jpg

Much thanks to Laverne and the guys that shared the camping at Morgan Shady Park on the Llano River. Great spot!
photo-32-L.jpg

I'm looking forward to next year for sure! Thanks to Richard, Connie, and all those that worked so hard to make this event so much fun! Dinner Saturday evening was surprisingly great! Best peach cobbler of the trip! Thanks too to Robert and Lone Star BMW for the $50 gift certificate toward getting my GS back on the trail!
IMG1426-L.jpg

Here is a short we made of Mike crossing a water puddle on CR 350 Friday... https://vimeo.com/42088333 ~Jeff

First, thanks to Richard & Connie for their hard work to organize the event. Nice roads on the TAC Richard; at least to Bandera .

A BIG thanks to Roger for the rescue. :clap:

This is going to be a short RR, because it was only to mid-afternoon. I rode with Bill Chedsey; who was with me in Copper Canyon & Costa Rica. He was on a new 990 KTM. As most of you know my 60CSx is route challenged, so I traced a track on the route provided. We went to the first corner from the motel & a track was to the right, all's well. I was teaching Bill to use his GPS. Twelve miles out we got to Cleo & realized we were going backwards on the end of day 2. We got an extra 24 miles back the the start. Wondered why we did not see any other riders. :confused: :shrug:

Start over (is that a mulligan?) At that point I told my route challenged gps to navigate, which worked well with the tracks in the back ground as backup. All was well & great roads to the James River. I got across with no problem, but Bill dropped the 990 about 50' out. A BMW ride helped him up. At that point someone told me I had a flat. No problem, got slim, add air. We are off. Added air x2 more.

6964135730_0659fd748a_c.jpg

Finally at Threadgill Creek Rd & Hwy 87 we added a tube in the rain with the bike on its side in the bar ditch. Hwy 87 is very busy, so people kept stopping to see if any one was injured. An EMT stopped. The hill country folks are good people. Onward! :rider:

To Fredericksburg for fuel for the 990; I still had plenty in the 6.6 gallon tank. ;-)

6964135632_2d8faf2224_c.jpg

Next stop Center Point. We used a big decorative rock in front of the Center Point Community Center as a stand. Just as we got the light weight tube out two riders roll up & the high school across the street lets out. One rider had patches, so patch it was. I found it strange that neither rider knew how to apply a patch, or had tire irons. But they helped us, thanks guys. :thumb: I had to prove a tube can be patched on the road.

7110207667_4c720bba15_c.jpg

On to Bandera & south on 470. Three miles north of Tarpley, FLAT :angryfire:miffed::angryfire No good bar ditch, no community canters, I rode slowly into the town square. I knew it was the town square, because, the hand painted sign in front of the post office/general store said "Ol'Tarpley Store Townsquare". Got off the bike, looked at the engine to see oil on the right side. At that point we had been over 200 miles, aired x3, fixed flat x2, it was after 2 pm, had 150 miles to go by 7 pm.

7110207567_c4aec3519f_c.jpg

I said :moon: I'm calling Uncle for a rescue. No cell service! :headbang:

The general store man was mowing his weeds (his words), so I went to the fence & told him I did not have cell service; he replied "You don't have AT&T do you?". Used his phone to call Uncle & got voice mail. Left a message I was at Tarpley Town Square Hwys. 470 & 462. Bill left to finish the ride.

There were wrought iron frame wood benches in front of the store on the town square. I bet those benches had a lot of stores. The store man gave up his weed mowing, came out with two bottles of water and set down in the shade with me to add to the stories. In short his wife came home, his neighbor brought his beagle dog home, he went back to mowing his weeds.
By then about an hour had passed & the sweep crew stopped, John, Jack, and Vinny. John had AT&T, so he called again & got Uncle who had not gotten my message.

So back to bench sitting. Uncle shows, tells me I'm 91 miles from Junction. He got my message on the way back to Junction. We get to my truck in Junction about 7 pm. Problem is all my stuff is at the Motel 6 in Del Rio. Load bike, drive to Del Rio, get Richard out of bed to get my stuff (sorry Connie), go to bed, get up & drive home Saturday while everyone else is riding back to Junction.

Did you know that US 377 descends from Rocksprings to Del Rio 600 feet with out ever going up hill. It is a steady descend with very few curves.

Thanks, I did have a good time. Any day riding is better that not. :giveup:

Oh, the oil is coming out of the case breather. We were running hard to ketch up.

Back