• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure Ride & Texas Adventure Challenge, Apr 19-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard, do you have a pic of this years t-shirt that you can post?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

I'm sorry, I don't. I have a graphics designer that comes up with each year's design and I don't have even a sketch from him as to this year's design.

Richard, I have always had problems loading your routes in my GPS without first recalculating them in My Mapsource. Could this be a problem?

I would hate to get out there and not have the route loaded. I'm sure that I can get to Del Rio and back but might not get the full Rally Experience that you have in mind.

I wish you would reconsider and maybe send the route out. You could even send it Tuesday or Wednesday and I could make do.
If not I guess I would have to bring my computer and I would rather not do that.

I'm still a go, whatever you decide!:rider:

Richard, I have always had problems loading your routes in my GPS without first recalculating them in My Mapsource. Could this be a problem?

I would hate to get out there and not have the route loaded. I'm sure that I can get to Del Rio and back but might not get the full Rally Experience that you have in mind.

I wish you would reconsider and maybe send the route out. You could even send it Tuesday or Wednesday and I could make do.
If not I guess I would have to bring my computer and I would rather not do that.

That's probably an issue with the version of City Navigator you are using. Or if JT is creating it in one of the routable topo map sets. Or even if he is doing a Google Maps conversion. That will be a potential issue for many people since we won't be on the same maps. I'll bring my laptop which has many versions of City Navigator and if we have some people with issues, we can fix the routes on mine and reload them on the GPS.

Oh, I'm in too, BTW.

That will be great Rusty!:clap:
Do you have City Select NA v7?

Also since I have your attention!
I just got a new computer and my Topo Maps will not work.

Any idea why?

Thanks, Rusty.

Also, I would add that the route will be available in 2 forms: as a track and as a route.
Rusty or John can explain the nuances much better than I, but by having it available as a track and a route the odds increase than one of them will work on any particular person's gps.

I'm working my schedule hard to be there for this event. A few questions.

I'm GPS challenged as well. Will there be some other sort of navigational aid (cue sheet, map, line painted on ground) for people with DS bikes but not GPS receivers?

Are you planning for an high average speed in order to come in during the allotted time or will riding at the posted speeds be sufficient?

What did you get, a mac? If so, older maps needed converting on a pc to work in Basecamp or Roadtrip. New maps work fine.

If it is a PC running Windows 7, then the version of Mapsource your old maps might be trying to load isn't compatible. Try loading Mapsource first and then installing the topo maps.

I go back as far as City Navigator 2008. City Select was before I had a GPS with street maps. I have 2008, 2009 and in 2010 I started getting quarterly updates so I saved one from 2010 and one from 2011. I also have Topo 2008 for the US, but it is a non-routing mapset.

Enough of a hijack of this thread though. PM me if you have more questions.

Dahveed,

I recommend that everyone bring pages from the Roads of Texas atlas with them to TAC - even those with a GPS. I will be letting riders which pages from the atlas to bring in the first post of this thread as part of all the logistical information.

I will have a printed map showing the course so that riders can trace the course out on their paper maps. I like using a GPS but it is only a navigational aid. A number of riders have been led astray in the hill country by relying solely on their GPS, hence the reason I emphasize that all rider should carry a paper map.

You will be able to complete each day's route in the alloted time without exceeding the posted speed limits. We are riding on public roads and this is not a race so the completion times are based on riding at or below the posted speed limits. However unexpected challenges such as navigational errors, mechanical issues, or riders falling down on the low water crossings could easily prevent a team from completing the day's route in the allotted time.

Last edited:

+1

I have problems with routes sometimes, routes that are drawn by someone else then sent to me or downloaded off the net. Seems like the transfer off the net/email does something to them.:zen: I re-draw every route I get just to be on the safe side.:rider:

This route is being downloaded directly from someones pc, I think it will be ok. Crossing my fingers anyway as I do not want to bring my laptop. If problems occour, it can be taken care of by John and/or Rusty. :clap:

I just wanted to try to clear this up a bit.
Rich said he will make the routes available on his website to registered riders prior to the event, hopefully you will have time to clear up any routing differences.
I will have a laptop available to help load tracks and routes into GPS units. But, we will not have time to try to determine why a route is not displayed correctly. Routing differences are why I personally don't use routes, only tracks.

JT

I just wanted to try to clear this up a bit.
Rich said he will make the routes available on his website to registered riders prior to the event, hopefully you will have time to clear up any routing differences.
I will have a laptop available to help load tracks and routes into GPS units. But, we will not have time to try to determine why a route is not displayed correctly. Routing differences are why I personally don't use routes, only tracks.

JT

This was the same way TRH did it at Terlingua. I'll trust JT, I've seen his expertise in acion.

I've done a couple of rides using tracks and I see the difference. I also learned about the effects of not having a 3-axis, tilt-compensated compass. That was confusing. I may have to move beyond the beginner unit.

Listen to Dr. Thompson. I doubt if there is anything about GPS's he doesn't know.

Now, this sounds like FUN! Can't wait! Big Bend is on my calendar too.

bigdon,

It's an either/or situation You only register for one or the other, but not both.

Last edited:
My TAC registration is in the mail and vacation has been scheduled. This will be my first DS event and am very excited about being apart of this ride. Now will spend the next couple of months getting myself and the DR ready.

This looks like an excellent ride - I'm 99% sure I'm in and will confirm in the next week or two. Thanks for putting this together TrailBoss!

Riders,

I have just posted updated information on both the TAR and TAC in the first post in this thread.

My TAC registration is in the mail and vacation has been scheduled. This will be my first DS event and am very excited about being apart of this ride. Now will spend the next couple of months getting myself and the DR ready.
If I can work out the work schedule....this will be my first DS event also...:rider:

What about fuel availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back