• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure Ride & Texas Adventure Challenge, Apr 19-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Rich - I notice you put the James x-ing early on the first day - a weeding out move? A little map study shows a route around it without deviating from the route too much.

We'll be checking out the river. I seen the videos and I want to lay eyes on this bad boy - just not my bike.

It was a smart move in my opinion. That way you've got the rest of the weekend to get all the water out of it and not miss any work the following week.

I agree with you. But I might be tempted to give it a go if I go look at it. :rider:

It was a smart move in my opinion. That way you've got the rest of the weekend to get all the water out of it and not miss any work the following week.

I agree with you. But I might be tempted to give it a go if I go look at it. :rider:

James River photo from the Initial Texas Adventure ride with Ken H. on the mighty his mighty TW200.

Now that you have seen it we can by-pass it! LOL

Luckily we are going the other direction which is a little easier. Also staying as far to the east as you can even though the water is deeper it's not quite as slick.

452925631_vhyoh-L.jpg

"not as slick". LOL.

We'll make our call when we get there. We might be big dogs - or we might be little hens.

How big bike friendly is this?

I was thinking of riding my Super Tenere with a buddy of mine riding on his big GS. My other options are my trusty KLR or WR250R.

Thanks!

On the last jaunt, my friend did it going two-up with his girlfriend on the back of his KLR. The traction control on the Tenere is excellent...air down a little on the front and back and you won't slip on the James River.

It helps to relive the tension as you cross the James River to sing a Twister Sister song underneath your helmet.

Happy Trails,

RB

On the last jaunt, my friend did it going two-up with his girlfriend on the back of his KLR. The traction control on the Tenere is excellent...air down a little on the front and back and you won't slip on the James River.

It helps to relive the tension as you cross the James River to sing a Twister Sister song underneath your helmet.

Happy Trails,

RB

Still running pretty streetie tires. The bike is such a blast on blacktop that I am not sure I want to put more aggressive dual sport tires on it at this point.

Still running pretty streetie tires. The bike is such a blast on blacktop that I am not sure I want to put more aggressive dual sport tires on it at this point.

Still waiting for the test ride! I sat on one in the showroom and it feels a bit tall for me. What is the seat height on it? Can you adjust the seat height on it like the ST?

Just throw on TKC80s on the front only. You won't notice very much change in the highway manners of the Tenere. You can still do pretty well off-road and you won't have to worry about the front tire washing out. The front TKC can last well into 6-7,000 miles with proper tire pressure management.

BTW, I sold my ST and got zee 650GS as a result of the BMW voodoo curse. I love the lighter weight. With a Russell seat the baby GS does long distance nicely. I can only imagine how much more liberating the Tenere feels versus the massive ST beast....still the Pan European is great for chewing up miles.

RB

hi, im planing to attend this, rally i trying to convince a friend to go with me, but he's work could be a problem to him, If he does not go, i do not have a truck to put my bike on it, i dont care to drive from dallas to junction but i just put a new dirt tires on my 950 adv and if i drove all those milles , prob when i hit junction i go need a new ones..... so any one from dallas to share a truck or trailer i paid the gas. thanks!

hi, im planing to attend this, rally i trying to convince a friend to go with me, but he's work could be a problem to him, If he does not go, i do not have a truck to put my bike on it, i dont care to drive from dallas to junction but i just put a new dirt tires on my 950 adv and if i drove all those milles , prob when i hit junction i go need a new ones..... so any one from dallas to share a truck or trailer i paid the gas. thanks!

I will be pulling a 3 bike trailer (loaded with 2 bikes) from Corsicana, TX.
I'm heading to Junction on 4/19 and back to Corsicana on the 25th.

James River Crossing. Go shallow and you are on smooth plate rock with a nice buttering of snotmoss. Go deep and you roll over some loose rocks up to babyhead size but it's not as slick as the water depth- and it can get dang deep- impedes the moss growth. Of course the rocks may well rip your handlebars away from you...or go in the middle and get the some of both worlds. At once and variably.

For me it's been KiLleR, si. The Big Ugly, no. Over a couple decades I've seen many a bike hauled out in the back of a truck or on a trailer and one really brutal day with trucks, and a couple of bikes turned upside down by their owners who were employing some unique roadside maintenance technique I hadn't seen before. :eek2:

I will be pulling a 3 bike trailer (loaded with 2 bikes) from Corsicana, TX.
I'm heading to Junction on 4/19 and back to Corsicana on the 25th.

thanks for the offer but my friend decide to come , we are thinking on go driving, the thing is i don't want to arrive, there with no tires... but any way thanks!!!!see you around

Tap*tap*tap*-- Is this thing on? I asked on page 5 what percentage dirt/pavement the TAC would be. Anyone with an answer out there? :popcorn:

Tap*tap*tap*-- Is this thing on? I asked on page 5 what percentage dirt/pavement the TAC would be. Anyone with an answer out there? :popcorn:

80/20 street/dirt. The unfortunate reality of riding in the hill country is less dirt than we would like.

80/20 street/dirt. The unfortunate reality of riding in the hill country is less dirt than we would like.

80/20, really? I wouldn't have guessed that just eyeballing the route. But it looks like a lot of that street mileage is getting in and out of Del Rio and a nice run down FM 337. I guess I glossed over the pavement connectors along the way.

I'm itching to get down there.

Well I hope there is going to be a slower group of dirt oriented riders... I don't wanna spend two days rattling my eyeballs out @ 70 mph on the DRZ400e.
:confused:

Well I hope there is going to be a slower group of dirt oriented riders... I don't wanna spend two days rattling my eyeballs out @ 70 mph on the DRZ400e.
:confused:

There won't be a lot of roads where you will be riding 70 for an extended period of time. Where we have to ride pavement the route sticks to the backroads as much as possible, meaning slower speeds.

Those percentages just screwed up my plans. Will there be a better % of dirt/unpaved for the TAR routes?

Tim,

I think it is possible to come up with a higher % of dirt on a day route out of Junction. I think you could come up with a 50/50 route. If you do an out-and-back versus a loop you could even get a higher % of dirt, maybe 70% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back