• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Uncle's Around the Bend rally: Mar 1-4, 2012, Terlingua, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that frumpy old maid has a 14/48 gear set and fresh meat. :trust:

For even more fun...Maverick, RR, Black Gap and then Old Ore from the south. Makes a great loop...sort of.

I called El Dorado Hotel, and it's all booked up. What's the next best option?

I'm just not in the mood to camp out, especially when the temperature drop below 40 at night.

I called El Dorado Hotel, and it's all booked up. What's the next best option?

I'm just not in the mood to camp out, especially when the temperature drop below 40 at night.

I cancelled my reservation at Chisos Mining Co. motel to move into the El Dorado.

Call Lynn or Jessica there, they should have a room for you.

Cheaper than the El Dorado, but Chisos no longer has the strategic value it once had for me.........walking distance to the now-closed Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Cafe

For anyone wanting to ride in Big Bend Ranch State Park, please see me before you ride there. I'll have park mapbooks to give away which shows the legal road system and a summary of the DS rules for the park.

I'll be staying at the El Dorado Hotel, arriving on Wed night and staying until Sun. If you never ridden in the state park, I can help you with route planning and can provide advice on what you'll need to be ready to have a fun and successful ride.

I'll be at the morning rider's briefing each morning with Richard.

See you Round the Bend, Steve Thompson :rider:

weather's looking good...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 1.15.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 1.15.02 PM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 284
Can't make it for the Around the Bend dates but plan on being at BB on the 6th to ride. Monday is travel from Temple. Anyone planning to stay that week and ride. There will probably be several of us.

For anyone wanting to ride in Big Bend Ranch State Park, please see me before you ride there. I'll have park mapbooks to give away which shows the legal road system and a summary of the DS rules for the park.

I'll be staying at the El Dorado Hotel, arriving on Wed night and staying until Sun. If you never ridden in the state park, I can help you with route planning and can provide advice on what you'll need to be ready to have a fun and successful ride.

:tab I lost the copy of the map I got on my recent trip out there so I would like to grab one from you. I plan to do some exploring of the NW area in the Cienega Mtns. Do you know if we are expected to pay for riding in the park for the day? I sure as heck don't want to make the trek all the way into the park office and back out to Casa Piedra Rd! That would add a LOT of time and miles to the day's ride.

:tab Has anyone contacted Garrett, the park manager, to inquire about unlocking the gate in the NE corner of the park that leads back up North around Tascotal Mesa to Casa Peidra Rd? When we were out there at the end of Dec, he said he'd open it if someone called before we arrived. I know there are some folks wanting to do that loop. It would be a great ride for the bigger adventure bikes and/or less experienced riders.

Scott,

To be legal for a day ride you need to pay the park entry fee, $3/day/rider and fill out and sign a waiver. I'll have copies of the waivers with me. You can pay the park entry fee at the Barton Warnock Visitor's Center near Lajitas, hours: (8am - 4:30pm), phone:432-424-3327 or at Fort Leaton State Historic Site, near Presidio, hours: (8am - 4:30pm), phone: 432-229-3613 or at the park HQ at Sauceda in the park interior, hours: (8am - 4:30pm), (7am - 4pm from May 17 - August 31), phone: 432-358-4444.

For those who might want to trailer to an area closer or into the park some parking is available at Fort Leaton and parking is available at the park HQ at Sauceda. Parking along the county roads or the main park road is limited in most places, could prove a road hazard and might result in your vehicle being broken into. The last available gas can be found at Presidio, there is no gas available in the park.

I haven't spoken to the park manager Barrett yet, he'll be back in the office on Sat morning. I'll call and ask about unlocking the gate in the NE corner of the park at Portal del Norte and will have that info available in Terlingua before the event starts. See me before you attempt to ride there.

I plan on riding the Ranch on Saturday. I would appreciate a map and info. I am in the El Dorado as well. Or will look for you at the rider meeting.

Thanks Steve. We'll be staying in Lajitas starting Tuesday. Let me know if there is something we can grab from the park office there and bring to the gatherings in Terlingua...save you or someone else a trip. I'll be looking for you and welcome your suggestions with the Ranch. First time I've ridden the state park...

Hello all TWTer’s,
I have been reviewing the post and ride reports in the Big Bend area since July 2011 and have longed to join in. Well I’m in!!!! I hope that those of you who experienced your first ride there can appreciate my excitement (The wife can’t). Every day for the last 2 weeks I wake up counting off the days looking forward to the great unknown... The only thing that I can relate to is this. “Pack your bag boy we’re going to Disneyland” that was 1980 when I was coming up to my 12th birthday!!! I’m now 44 and feel the same excitement as that day I was told we were heading to Disneyland!
Looking forward to meeting some new friends and learning their experiences. Thank all of you veterans who have paved the way (I don’t like pavement) that have made this possible for me to experience this level of excitement . Don’t get me wrong as I’ve had many GREAT things IE: Children, Grandchild and wonderful life experiences but none have me on the edge of the Husaberg seat as this!! Looking forward to meeting everyone. See you at dinner Thursday!!! THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK RICHARD!!!Eric

Hello all TWTer’s,
I have been reviewing the post and ride reports in the Big Bend area since July 2011 and have longed to join in. Well I’m in!!!! I hope that those of you who experienced your first ride there can appreciate my excitement (The wife can’t). Every day for the last 2 weeks I wake up counting off the days looking forward to the great unknown... The only thing that I can relate to is this. “Pack your bag boy we’re going to Disneyland” that was 1980 when I was coming up to my 12th birthday!!! I’m now 44 and feel the same excitement as that day I was told we were heading to Disneyland!
Looking forward to meeting some new friends and learning their experiences. Thank all of you veterans who have paved the way (I don’t like pavement) that have made this possible for me to experience this level of excitement . Don’t get me wrong as I’ve had many GREAT things IE: Children, Grandchild and wonderful life experiences but none have me on the edge of the Husaberg seat as this!! Looking forward to meeting everyone. See you at dinner Thursday!!! THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK RICHARD!!!Eric
I excited for Electrified to go on his first BB trip with his Hussy, I hope all you guys have have a great time. Because I know I will enjoy hearing about all his get-offs:trust:

Hello all TWTer’s,

I'm sorry Ehall, we don't allow people to ride bikes that are WAY faster than the rest of the bikes and has some weird name on top of that!:rofl:

I look forward to meeting someone else who has chosen the Swedish dark side. :trust:

Just an FYI for anyone needing a room with a king size bed. At 12:15PM,about 12 minutes from now I'm cancelling my room reservation at the Big Bend RV park and hotel. My back aint gonna let me ride this time! Y'all stay safe and bend an elbow fer me.

The reservation was for 03-01-12 to o3-04-12.

Good Lord JD - I thought you were going to pick it up today!

Good seeing you this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back