• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Uncle's Around the Bend rally: Mar 1-4, 2012, Terlingua, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Lord JD - I thought you were going to pick it up today!

Good seeing you this afternoon.

I did pick it up today. Only way I could get it in the Camry's trunk.

J/K.

Lone Star is going all out to ensure that everything is OK after the engine burped some oil on the way back from Guate. Really great to have a dealership like this right here in Austin. Mike did all the work on my first BMW starting way back in '84. Now he's taking care of my new one.

Do all the routes have a restaurant?

i-vCCXJPj-M.jpg

Do all the routes have restaurant? If not, what you do for lunch?

Bring food and drink with you. I typically bring trail mix. Others bring jerky, or candy, or crackers, etc. Eat a big breakfast before you leave.

This year, Ara will lead a team of elite sous chefs to form a luncheon staff that has been hired to attend all rides and provide lunch on the trail. Don't worry about finding a restaurant. And "trail mix" is a thing of the past.

Typical menu each day, each route in the published ride guide:

i-LKjp3Bj-M.jpg

I hear Ara's reduction sauce is to die for.

But seriously, I pack a 3 liter Camelback for a day ride there and that's minimum. And energy bars. But the H2O is critical even this time of year when temps can exceed 80 and the air is dry.

Leave the KLR home and bring the KTM ;-)

That's good advice, here's some more.

Some of the "roads" in Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) are more challenging than any of those in the National Park or the public roads found Round the Bend. Bikes must be street legal to use the public roads in the state park. Non-street legal vehicles are not allowed for use on any of the roads or trails in the park anywhere. The maximum speed limit in the park is 25 mph.

Do Not speed in the park.

Light bikes are the best choice when riding the roads in the ranch. The public roads in the park range from: the main/entry park road is graded and is an easy 1, most of the unmaintained roads are 2s, some unmaintained roads off the south side of the park are steep or rocky or have deep loose rock/sand and a few are steep, rocky, have deep loose rocks and baby heads, they are good 3s, but I don't think there are any 4s. DS bikes of 650 CCs or larger are more than a handful when used on the more difficult roads. Never ride alone, you’ll likely need help from your friends somewhere.

Fuel; you'll need bikes with fuel ranges of 100+ miles, 150 miles is better. If you are limited by fuel range, fill up your bike at Presidio before you enter the park. You can also trailer to the park HQ and begin your ride there.

Water; carry plenty of water. There is potable water available at the park HQ at Sauceda and at Fort Leaton. If you carry effective water treatment chemicals or a good filter, there are ~ 80 reliable sources of water around the park which can be safely used if the water is first treated or filtered. Do Not drink any of the water from natural sources found in the park without treating it or filtering it first. Even then be careful in handling treated/filtered water. Giardia and cryptosporidium are common in the back country and can really dampen the fun factor on your trip and for days thereafter. See a doctor ASAP if you think you have been exposed to giardia or cryptosporidium. Either condition can be effectively treated if qualified help is obtained soon after your exposure.

Communications; in 90% + of the park, your cell phone will not work and mechanical or medical help is a long way off. Ride in groups, carry tools, be ready to self-repair minor problems. Don’t get off the roads, many of the plants in the area have significant thorns which can easily cause flats on the best of tires. Sharp edged rocks on the roads will cause pinch flats. Tire air pressures above 20 psi are recommended. Come equipped to fix flats. Carry basic first aid supplies.

Encounters with other road users. Be extra careful when encountering other park visitors on the roads of the park, especially visitors or park staff riding horses. If you are overtaking horses, do so slowly, quietly and allow plenty of space between you and the horses. If you encounter horses head-on, stop turn your engines off, take your helmet off and signal for the horses to move past your group. Restart your engines after the horses are well past your group, ride slowly/quietly away.

Don't ride bikes in the park with loud exhausts, remember, less sound = more ground.

GPS receivers are great tools. It's been my experience that while GPS units are good at telling you where you are and might even tell you where you've been, but they don't always make it obvious where you need to go. Obtain, study and carry a good paper map with you to supplement what the GPS unit is telling you (or not telling you). I have those maps to give away, see me before you ride in the park.

With all of this said, I’m not trying to make anyone afraid of riding in the state park. I’m just trying to provide useful advice on preparing for and executing a fun and successful riding experience in the park. This park is not best suited for or to be experienced by and enjoyed by casual recreationalists. The park is more extreme than the other riding areas found Round the Bend. It’s better suited to experienced and prepared riders who are looking for and prepared for bigger challenges.

One last thought, motorized recreation in this state park has only recently been allowed and then only on a “trail basis”. There are many managers and staff at the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (TPWD) that thought and still think it’s a bad idea and have predicted the motorized folks are basically undisciplined and they all make “breaking the rules” a part of their sport. They cannot be trusted to know and follow the rules.

I disagree and have stood up at TPWD and argued for motorized access to the spectacular back country areas of BBRSP. Right now we have that access, but continued access is not guaranteed. Continued access will only come if the riders who come to the park think of themselves as Ambassadors of the Sport, and by knowing and following the rules and by treating other park visitors and staff with friendly respect. Think of BBRSP as your park and treat it as such.

See me at the El Dorado hotel if I may be of assistance to you in any way. I’ll see you Round the Bend and On the Other Side of Nowhere ……………..Happy Trails Buckaroos.

Can Peguis Canyon be ridden on large dual-sport (street oriented tires)?

Nothing needed beyond passport?

thanks

Nothing needed beyond passport?

thanks

The route to Peguis from the ride guide is all paved. We will be looking for a dirt route on this trip.

Be sure to bring a copy of your registration or title, Mexican Customs may ask for proof of ownership even if you do not buy a permit. Permits are not necessary within the tourist zone which includes Peguis Canyon.

The route to Peguis from the ride guide is all paved. We will be looking for a dirt route on this trip.

Be sure to bring a copy of your registration or title, Mexican Customs may ask for proof of ownership even if you do not buy a permit. Permits are not necessary within the tourist zone which includes Peguis Canyon.

I'm sure all plated bikes will have on board either registration or title (for the Texas side) but you won't be needing to produce tham at all on the Mexican side if just riding to Peguis Canyon because you don't need a bike permit and you won't be needing to show anybody these documents.

Entering Mexico and riding to Peguis, you will not pass through any Mexican customs/aduana/immigration checkpoints. The aduana checkpoint for that route straight west on the libre to Chihuahua city is after Peguis Canyon.

The aduana checkpoint for the southern route to the new cuota to Chihuahua city is not in the direction of Peguis Canyon.

The aduana facilty Ojinaga to obtain bike permits and tourist cards is right in OJ. If you were going to bring your title or registration to get a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) for some reason (like riding to or past Chihuahua city, you would get it at that facility. You won't need a TVIP to visit Peguis.

If for some strange reason you find yourself at either of the downrange aduana checkpoints because you're lost off road or you blew past Peguis out of curiosity, don't worry, failing possession of either of a TVIP or tourist card means you'd simply be turned back. They're not going to bite you or confiscate your bike.

Note, I've never been asked to produce my title or registration anywhere in Mexico except for an aduana checkpoint.

The more important thing to bring is a passport or passport card for reentry into the US.

Fun Facts: The wait at OJ to enter Presidio takes on average about 45 minutes. The farthest right lane is the fastest. It's downhill (mostly) to the border station. You can leave you bike off and push it all the way to the point you are next in line. For the newbies, when you pull up to the official, shut your bike off and hand them your passport. Helps if your helmet is not on your head. Just like at an airport, don't become George Carlin and joke about the load of cocaine you have in your sidecases.

You don't ride Peguis Canyon, you ride to it and look at it.

Helps if you Google it beforehand and also look at the various YouTube videos on it, especially the one that talks about the famous UFO legend.

There are guided trips on the river that one can arrange, but that discussion is beyond the scope of a day ride out there.

Most people, for some reason, pass on the opportunity to visit the OJ zocalo and try the food. Highly recommended.

If in doubt about any menu items, always ask for the pollo empanizado. Can't miss with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post

I'm sure all plated bikes will have on board either registration or title (for the Texas side) but you won't be needing to produce tham at all on the Mexican side if just riding to Peguis Canyon because you don't need a bike permit and you won't be needing to show anybody these documents.

I crossed 3 times at OJ over the past Xmas-New Year week for day rides, twice with Rich and once with Jack. I was red-lighted all 3 times and all 3 times I was asked for registration or title. All three times all I had was my TX insurance card. The third time was the same cute young lady who let me go the first time using my insurance card to verify the vin on the bike. All three times they read the vin. I think it may be a new policy to verify ownership even in the tourist zone. It is certainly easy enough to carry the reg and I will from now on. Make sure you have it and your PP.

It's a moot point anyway since every plated bike will have a registration which should be onboard in case the po po from Presidio stop you. Like happened to me in October :eek2:. All the way to the Sea of Cortez and back at Mazatlán, and never once see a cop, then get pulled over 3 minutes into Texas on the way home :angryfire

But, your report is odd to me in the sense that I've never, not once been stopped at OJ or any other inbound checkpoint or border crossing station and asked for my US registration (or title) of had my VIN checked.

Like you say, must be a little sumpin' slumpin' going on behind the scenes.

Just a few weeks ago, I crossed at Piedras Negras on the way to Guatemala, and same thing there - there was an Army checkpoint right there at the border, but they cared not for anything related to bike ownership or the VIN.

Just a few months ago, crossing at Laredo's Colombia Bridge, there too nothing checked inabound (and no downrange aduana either!)

No big deal. Just bring the registration which you should have anyways for the Texas side.

Ah, now I realize the answer.

Must be your Axe cologne John. That's why you're getting stopped.

The border lady you spoke of wanted to give you a little sumpin' sumpin' :kiss:

It's a moot point anyway since every plated bike will have a registration which should be onboard in case the po po from Presidio stop you. Like happened to me in October :eek2:. All the way to the Sea of Cortez and back at Mazatlán, and never once see a cop, then get pulled over 3 minutes into Texas on the way home :angryfire

But, your report is odd to me in the sense that I've never, not once been stopped at OJ or any other inbound checkpoint or border crossing station and asked for my US registration (or title) of had my VIN checked.

Like you say, must be a little sumpin' slumpin' going on behind the scenes.

Just a few weeks ago, I crossed at Piedras Negras on the way to Guatemala, and same thing there - there was an Army checkpoint right there at the border, but they cared not for anything related to bike ownership or the VIN.

Just a few months ago, crossing at Laredo's Colombia Bridge, there too nothing checked inabound (and no downrange aduana either!)

No big deal. Just bring the registration which you should have anyways for the Texas side.

Just got back a couple hours ago from BBRSP including a crossing into OJ. Mexican officials asked for our 'papers'. One of us had an original title, one of us had a 2010 registration receipt, one had a photocopy of title and one only had a bill of sale and a paper plate. The nice young lady checked all of those documents against frame VINs then sent us on with a smile. She looked like Minnie Driver's pudgy Mexican prima. Very cute and nice.

I crossed at OJ last fall and they asked for papers then as well. We had only insurance papers which they looked at, checked perfunctorily to VINs, shrugged, smiled and sent us on our way. Come to think of it, the official was a cute young lady that time, too....

The wait to return to the US side for both trips was less than 5-10 minutes. This last time we got treated to a parade of bicycle mariposas and a very large culebra while we waited in line....

smugshot9152508-M.jpg

IMG2988-M.jpg

IMG2991-M.jpg

Y'all are gonna have a FANTASTIC time!!! My bike kept trying to take naps on the trail this weekend but I was lucky enough to have great friends along to to wake her up and get her on up the hill. Remember, beware of any hill that has its own name...

IMG2969-M.jpg

This year, Ara will lead a team of elite sous chefs to form a luncheon staff that has been hired to attend all rides and provide lunch on the trail. Don't worry about finding a restaurant. And "trail mix" is a thing of the past.

Typical menu each day, each route in the published ride guide:

i-LKjp3Bj-M.jpg

No consomme & no sorbet to clean my palette? That's it, cancel my reservation.

I thought this post was hysterical! Who is the comedian that uses the stressed out look and rubbing his temples all the time? He acts likes he's ready to snap doing his routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back