• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 CRF250L vs 1983 XL250 (and a nod to WR250/450s)

Reaction score
I have these two "twin" Honda's separated by thirty years. I am selling the CRF over in the for sale forum but was asked the following question.

I'm looking at the CRF250L to become my small, light dual-sport. I, too, have a vintage 250cc; a 1982 XL250R, but want the electric start and fuel injection of the modern bikes. I hate to beat up my 34 year old bike thrashing down trails or zipping down the highway. How do the two bikes (your XL250R and CRF250L) compare?.......

I am older and slower then when young so I am not the most aggressive rider. The CRF (like the XL) is good on single track and some highway. I added a metal skid plate to it but now a bit more engine noise is reflected back to the rider so I wished I stayed with the plastic skid plate. Then new CRF has fuel injection that does add a bit of snap that I always thought my XL was missing. The power comes on throughout the rest of the power band very linearly (again like the XL). I have ridden both bikes on North Carolina mountain single track and multi hour pavement rides. I have rode both bikes in the Sam Houston National forest. The CRF suspension (especially front forks) is sooooo much better over roots and rocks. However I did once blow my front fork seals being too hooligan bouncing off, over, and up, 3-6 ft rock cliffs. Dropping either bike tends to break blinkers but the CRF's break after just a few drops. The XL blinkers took years of abuse before succumbing to old age. The XL clutch lever tended to break when dropped in the dirt. On the CRF not so much. Both are comfortable at reasonable highway speeds but I prefer riding under 50mph (45mph is even better) and both are sublime at that speed making carving NC twisties a blast. My KLR650 is even more fun on those same twisties but is a handful on steep single track especially if wet. My old XL tops out at about 60, my CRF perhaps 10 or more mph higher (I don't really ever ride at high speed). My XL has beenon beach runs and rides all the way up to 12,000 ft mountain passes and except for a little less snap has always provided a comfortable ride. The CRF has better lighting but the XL has so cool swept back handlebars that feel great during rides. My son handed down a WR250r and a WR450F to me and they are both better in the dirt especially technical rocky root stuff. The 450 now has a plate but I ride very little pavement now. So I am selling my CRF250 (and my WR250 and my KLR650) because my XL250 has become my "parade" bike for the little pavement I ride and the WRs suspensions are so much better in the dirt.

Great comparison review. Thanks. Both the XL and CRF 250's sound similar, just decades apart. My test ride of a CRF yesterday confirmed that. The Honda 250 is a great small displacenent dual sport. The CRF has plenty of pep, smooth power, electric start. My XL is a bear to kick start after a drop; I just don't have the young legs or energy anymore. The CRF would be a great commuter like my XL; light, quick, nimble, see over traffic.

I came from a KLR 650 but it was too big for single track and not that much fun on highway. I decided to go with two bikes; a '14 CB1100 for street/highway and an '82 XL250 for dualsport. This is a perfect team for me. I'm looking to get the CRF to keep the XL looking nice as a "parade bike", its just too beautiful.

Back