• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 East Texas 500.... The muddiest one yet!

Re: September 20-22 2013 East TX 500 early planning stages....

Bev and I just talked it over, We're thinking of going to Roll the Bones Rally. I just hope we don't bring the rain with us.

I think we got Handcock's TX Flag chair in the car. I just saw it, if its yours I could probably meet you somewhere and hand it off later in the week. Let me know.

We are checking out the RTB site and posts now....Hmmmmmmmmm:coffee:

Just got off the phone with Meriden, they (down to 4 now) made it to Colmesneil and were sitting at the Burger Shack. :clap: Needless to say they will be bypassing 2565 and picking up the trail west from the church. They should have passed Joel's group by now but haven't yet, hope they're OK. Who wants to bet they went ahead and attempted 2565 and are there right now hopelessly stuck in the mud? :lol2:

Rman....Hows the ribs?

Just got off the phone with Meriden, they (down to 4 now) made it to Colmesneil and were sitting at the Burger Shack. :clap: Needless to say they will be bypassing 2565 and picking up the trail west from the church. They should have passed Joel's group by now but haven't yet, hope they're OK. Who wants to bet they went ahead and attempted 2565 and are there right now hopelessly stuck in the mud? :lol2:

:clap: Good job "M".

I don't want to take that bet.:trust: I was going to try to make contact with RJ or SB.

library

Here are the historical "in the beginning", "pre-mud" group photos for the East Texas 500 ride 'South Group' aka: 'Real Riders' (as opposed to the "CarpetBaggin' Scallywags" from the North - hey, SilverBullet, you fired the first shot...) :rofl: Location: Livingston, Texas WalMart parking lot Sept. 20, 2013

Can't seem to delete on the forum yet, so just look further down for the full-sized photos of these thumbnails.

Attachments

• East Texas 500 2013 Start - 1 reduced.jpg
    East Texas 500 2013 Start - 1 reduced.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 265
  • East Texas 500 2013 Start - 2 reduced.jpg
    East Texas 500 2013 Start - 2 reduced.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 231
  • East Texas 500 2013 Start - 3  reduced.jpg
    East Texas 500 2013 Start - 3 reduced.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 231
  • East Texas 500 2013 Start - 4 reduced.jpg
    East Texas 500 2013 Start - 4 reduced.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 234
  • East Texas 500 2013 Start - 5 reduced.jpg
    East Texas 500 2013 Start - 5 reduced.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

I heard from Electrified, after they viewed all those pictures, they still went and got stuck in the mud :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: They did make it out and I think were heading to Rusk.

Rman....Hows the ribs?
It only hurts when I laugh. :lol2:...:eek2:...:tears: Yeah, on that 2nd get-off I went down pretty hard on my left side, still sore but I'm taking ibuprofen and it helps a lot. Thanks for asking. :thumb:
Don't know about anyone else but my legs are sore as well. :brainsnap I never get sore from riding so I'm thinking it was all that duck-walking with 15lbs of mud stuck to my boots. :rofl:

I heard from Electrified, after they viewed all those pictures, they still went and got stuck in the mud :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Bwahahahaha!!!!! :rofl: :lol2: :haha: :lol2: :rofl: :nana: :clap: I knew they would, they wanted to come back and say how easy it was so they could rub it in our faces. Nope, sorry, ain't gonna happen! :shame: :rofl:

Three for tomorrow.
Talked to M, you'll never guess where they found Joel's group. :doh: :lol2: Sounds like SilverBullet had a rough time of it, I'll quote M here, "They practically had to disassemble SilverBullet's Strom getting it out of the mud". :eek2: Oh well, can't say I didn't warn 'em. A few of them did make it through without too many problems.
M said he has it all on vid. :clap:

Oh reeeeealy. Do tell....

Talked to M, you'll never guess where they found Joel's group. :doh: :lol2: Sounds like SilverBullet had a rough time of it, I'll quote M here, "They practically had to disassemble SilverBullet's Strom getting it out of the mud". :eek2: Oh well, can't say I didn't warn 'em. A few of them did make it through without too many problems.

oh boy the exaggeration is getting thicker then that red clay mud was. only had to remove my front fender. didn't even drop the bike there but only got half way through before realizing it was hopeless haha as JMZ would say the Strom is not a mud bike, not even a dirt bike but right now it is definitely a dirty bike haha

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

:rofl:This is going to be good. I was thinking of the low front fender on the Strom and how it would just ball up with mud.

I got a text from SilverBullet at 7:55 said they were in Rusk and in good shape to finish tomorrow.:clap:

Looks like SB beat me to the reply......

OK, here's what I got. :photo:

Livingston State Park Thursday night waiting for Hancock to arrive. Setting up tents in the dark is hard enough, doing it in the dark in the pouring down rain....? Well, lets just say I would have made a Jersey City stevedore proud cause I used every word in the book! :miffed:

CIMG2643Copy_zpse11c664a.jpg

ISC and them swung by Friday morning to pick up our tents, etc... Thanks guys, that made it very convenient.

CIMG2647Copy_zps6d33fd95.jpg

Parking lot pics. At least the rain waited for us to put the kickstands up before it came down but from there on out it was wet.

CIMG2648Copy_zpsd3cddc5e.jpg

CIMG2649Copy_zps6c481371.jpg

CIMG2650Copy_zps36fe9c23.jpg

Other than those the only pics I got were of the mud pit so here they are. As someone mentioned above, pics were taken quickly and the cameras were put back in the ziplocs as the next torrential downpour moved over us. :argh:

Hey GrassHopper, need a new Avatar pic? :lol2:

CIMG2651Copy1_zps0870ca60.jpg

Solid mud. Some of the greasiest, stickiest mud I've ever dealt with.

CIMG2654Copy_zps138a76e3.jpg

CIMG2655Copy_zpsb8c31062.jpg

All you could do was dig it out with a stick and plug on, trouble was, you could only move about 30' before it clogged everything up again.

CIMG2660Copy_zpse1f06435.jpg

CIMG2659Copy_zps490152d1.jpg

CIMG2658Copy_zps9a4798e9.jpg

CIMG2657Copy_zpsafccb858.jpg

My bike. :trust:

CIMG2661Copy_zps229da932.jpg

As you can see, my tire tool box got smashed at an earlier get off :doh: , luckily I was able to fit everything into one of the saddlebags. Check out the look on Hancock's face, he's just glowing with cheer!! :sun: :lol2:

CIMG2653Copy_zps5d0d3158.jpg

CIMG2663Copy_zps6730745e.jpg

CIMG2666Copy_zpsdc2f2ee6.jpg

CIMG2667Copy_zps60e9dad0.jpg

And after an enormous effort by all we finally broke out of it. :clap:

CIMG2665Copy_zpsfa7d2f7b.jpg

CIMG2664Copy_zpsc3a01650.jpg

That's about all from me.

It sure makes me wonder, had we taken the clockwise direction, would we be at Bean's right now having a :chug: ? We'd be dealing with that crap tomorrow with only 60 miles to the finish line! Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

It was a pleasure riding with you folks and I hope to see y'all again at next year's ET500 (weather permitting that is :mrgreen:).

Rman237 :flip:

Last edited:

Great pics, RMan...!!

Want to hear more about that other ride. I PM'd you.

:rider:

Anarchy is out with a bad clutch. KLR Keith*, Plus One* and l are moving on to Rusk this morning. Rolling J ssaid they were slabbing to Rusk when they broke gree of 2565. Unless there's another stretch of muck we should finish ny midday.
m

* Not their real names.

DANNYBOY great pic's
TRAVIS it was fun :clap:
mother nature kicked our butt's

pic#3
DSC02837_zps956ccd99.jpg

pic#2
DSC02838_zps058f9c10.jpg

pic#1
DSC02842_zps0c325823.jpg

PERFECT FACEPLANT....:rofl:

this is from my 1st wipe/out

my leg got smacked from the bike's rack

my 2nd wipe/out was twice as hard :lol2:

stretched a leg muscle..hyper/stretched my knee..big bruse on calf

ALSO was I was having a battery issues

...........:patriot:..............

Last edited:

Update from Meriden. They're in Apple Springs heading north with about 75mi to the finish line, should be a cakewalk as most of that stretch is chip seal type/gravel roads. Hamilton Road area was wet but doable at 40mph. I was wondering what Hamilton would be like as it's one of the sandiest stretches of the route. Here's a pic of the Hamilton area from a few yrs ago.

CIMG4971Copy.jpg

He also said the GPS routed them right back into that same **** deer camp where we got so turned around that time. :lol2: Same place AustinJake took this pic. We could hear banjo's playing in the woods! :eek2:

DeerCamp_zps68be590e.jpg

They saw Joel's group (heading south from Rusk) go flying by from a distance but Joel didn't see them. I may be mistaken but I think M said J's group is now down to 3. :doh:

Last edited:

BIG THANK'S to the chase truck crew...:clap::clap:

IMG_0704.JPG

after being stuck in the mud
we all pigged out on some good grub...:eat:

.........:rider:..............

Next time y'all want to go play in the mud I will
Bring my jeep :)

Signatures ?????? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

They saw Joel's group (heading south from Rusk) go flying by from a distance but Joel didn't see them. I may be mistaken but I think M said J's group is now down to 3. :doh:

We saw them pass, 3 of them and 4 of us. But as of 20 minutes ago I had to drop out so it is Joel, Woody and Steve only.

My clutch is fried from the hours abusing it to get out of the mud. Adjusted it yesterday and thought it was ok but started slipping again today even in 2nd gear now. So after 120 miles today I'm done with the ride and gonna limp home. Near Corrigan so will try the 59 all the way home. Did a final adjustment and letting it cool down fully before starting home.

Rman why didn't you warn us about that mud? Haha

Couple more minutes to cool and I'm trying it. Once I get on the freeway and in 6th gear not stopping for anything.

Dirty girl. Much of the mud came off today. We had a few water holes and a big water crossing.

2013-09-22122707_zpsc1573b56.jpg

Back