• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Uncle's Around the Bend and Uncle's Desert Challenge - Mar 7-10, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed up, got the GPS file, trying to work out where to stay. Will be on stock dirt bike tanks carrying 2qts + on homemade tank saddlebags, and I'll probably carry another 2-4 qts on the back of the bike (since mine's a gas hog). Fuel will be in 1qt oil bottles.

A good option for carrying more fuel, $38,

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Fuel-Pack-Junior-Mount/dp/B003UZ05CA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1359996218&sr=1-1&keywords=kolpin+fuel+pack"]http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Fuel-Pack-Junior-Mount/dp/B003UZ05CA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1359996218&sr=1-1&keywords=kolpin+fuel+pack[/ame]

41JqGdRkkGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That is a bad nossle. It leak too.

I have had one for my KDX for 2 years now. No leaks.
All of the EPA mandated nozzles are crap. At least with this one, you can take it apart and remove the valve and extension leaving a 3 inch long pipe that doesn't leak. The cap on mine has never leaked, make sure you have the rubber gasket mounted properly.

Where do you mount this on your bike?

I have one mounted on the rear fender of my KDX220, has worked well for 2 years. Most fenders would probably not be strong enough, but the KDX has a strong steel fender support frame. Of course if you have a rear rack, mounting would be easy.

CIMG0298-X2.jpg

I plan on representing the V twin class for the challenge on Friday. Just wating for my wingman to commit before we preregister.

I have had one for my KDX for 2 years now. No leaks.
All of the EPA mandated nozzles are crap. At least with this one, you can take it apart and remove the valve and extension leaving a 3 inch long pipe that doesn't leak. The cap on mine has never leaked, make sure you have the rubber gasket mounted properly.

I too took the nossle apart. After careful analysis, I concluded it was crap. I don't remember exactly why. I just remember that it wasn't worth my effort to convert it. I tried to find an old school nossle, but I haven't had any luck. I guess they are banned by the gubermint stupid reasons.

I looked at my friend's. It leaks. I concluded it was due to (1) vibration on the back of a 200cc thumper and (2) the opening was facing down when mounted.
I think the little springs might not be strong enougth to seal during a lot of vibration. So if you're riding a big bike, probably no problem. But if you're riding a little bike, and squeezing its life out at wide open, it might.

As designed, the valve and springs have nothing to do with sealing while transporting. You did use the solid cap insert, didn't you? The springs only effect the auto shutoff valve if you mount the nozzle without. The nozzle might leak if you use it without modifying, but the cap does not.

Not worth the effort? It took all of 5 minutes to break the valve out of the spigot. Now it has a 3 inch long spigot with no valve and no drips.

I too took the nossle apart. After careful analysis, I concluded it was crap. I don't remember exactly why. I just remember that it wasn't worth my effort to convert it. I tried to find an old school nossle, but I haven't had any luck. I guess they are banned by the gubermint stupid reasons.

I looked at my friend's. It leaks. I concluded it was due to (1) vibration on the back of a 200cc thumper and (2) the opening was facing down when mounted.
I think the little springs might not be strong enougth to seal during a lot of vibration. So if you're riding a big bike, probably no problem. But if you're riding a little bike, and squeezing its life out at wide open, it might.

Yeah, the commercial solutions would work, but then we'd have wasted all that R&D money on the saddlebags. Engineering like this don't come cheap!

823522_4306311691825_541044556_o.jpg

820715_4306311731826_2078382706_o.jpg

Just sent my Rally Registration via PayPal. Going to team up with CeeBee to drive out Thursday.

South to North is all uphill and harder but more fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9zUOSlXI9s"]Riding "Pinto Canyon", Texas. - YouTube[/ame]

That is the video from yesterday down Pinto Canyon. Can you tell they graded it?!!! I think a street bike can now ride it.

Ara and Spirit

Yes it looks to be in great shape. Only one problem, it's too short.
It's an awful long ride over there for twenty miles of gravel!:trust:

Looks like you are keeping Old Faithful limbered up! :clap:

Yes it looks to be in great shape. Only one problem, it's too short.
It's an awful long ride over there for twenty miles of gravel!:trust:

Looks like you are keeping Old Faithful limbered up! :clap:

Well, it is. Yet, I don't ride roads for their difficulties. I ride them to get us to beautiful spaces. The whole loop is just a nice ride.
Old Faithful is fine! Gone from 281,000 miles down to 31,000 miles now with an RT engine! Not even broken in... again!
Stay well. Ara and Spirit

I'm in.:rider:

I leave Arlington early am on Thursday the 7th and head back to Arlington Sunday 10th.

I will trailer , have space for one other bike and rider. PM me if your interested

I will be staying at the Chisos Mining Co motel.

I'm in.:rider:

I leave Arlington early am on Thursday the 7th and head back to Arlington Sunday 10th.

I will trailer , have space for one other bike and rider. PM me if your interested

I will be staying at the Chisos Mining Co motel.

I'm sure you've been back at it for a while, but I'm sure glad to see you back riding Wasabi. It was forever ago that Jwrick and I were hauling your bike back to your wife but I just haven't seen you around. Are you going to be bringing that same V-Strom to Big Bend?? :clap:

I may be out. First time since I started attending 5 or 6 years ago. But sometimes life gets in the way of fun. I'll know more when I get back from WV on the 2nd of March.

I'm sure you've been back at it for a while, but I'm sure glad to see you back riding Wasabi. It was forever ago that Jwrick and I were hauling your bike back to your wife but I just haven't seen you around. Are you going to be bringing that same V-Strom to Big Bend?? :clap:

Thanks again for your help in my time of need. I been riding just enough to keep the battery charged and the gas from getting stale. The Vstrom is all tuned and road ready . Now I am waiting on MacDaddy to lead another ride that crosses that bridge again. :eek2: I have AAA towing now so if I don’t make it across again the bike should make it back home with less hassle. :-P
For this ride I hope to use my new Husky Terra. If I don't get a better skid plate by the ride date I'll use the KLR. Either way I’m riding

Thanks again for your help in my time of need. I been riding just enough to keep the battery charged and the gas from getting stale. The Vstrom is all tuned and road ready . Now I am waiting on MacDaddy to lead another ride that crosses that bridge again. :eek2: I have AAA towing now so if I don’t make it across again the bike should make it back home with less hassle. :-P
For this ride I hope to use my new Husky Terra. If I don't get a better skid plate by the ride date I'll use the KLR. Either way I’m riding

I was happy to help. +1 on the ready for MacDaddy to lead another ride! I didn't see the new Husky on your signature list of bikes, nice addition.

PM me and let me know if you see him post up another ride in case I don't see it, I'd really like to ride with y'all again.

I'm still waiting to hear from two friends if they're going to come with on this trip or not, if they bail I may PM you about that extra trailer spot if it isn't taken by then so I don't have to ride down there solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back