• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Uncle's Around the Bend and Uncle's Desert Challenge - Mar 7-10, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Challenge Riders,

Please note that you will need a permit for riding in Big Bend National Park during the challenge event. Make sure you get your permit before beginning the challenge ride.

We won't arrive until Thursday night, so my plan (now) is to to swing up to the North entrance gate off of old marathon Rd and get a permit. I read somewhere the ride was approved by the NPS so I didn't think about the permit since it wasn't mentioned until now. Sort of puts some of us in a bit of a bind.

There isn't time Friday morning to go all the way into the park and back out before the ride starts.

To clarify my above post--During the first part of the challenge ride, the Old Marathon road comes out very close to the North entrace gate. That is the best we are going to be able to do on a park pass considering the short notification and the time we arrive, unless the organizer can buy passes and sell them to us at sign in?

If you don't have time before hand, ride Old Marathon Rd. then take a Left on 385. It's only about 5 miles North to the Park Entrance where you can buy the permit.

If you don't have time before hand, ride Old Marathon Rd. then take a Left on 385. It's only about 5 miles North to the Park Entrance where you can buy the permit.

I called and spoke to Barbara at PJ and was told that the West entrance will be selling passes at 8 a.m. on Friday.

When I mentioned plans for an earlier start she said passes can be purchased at any facility. For the Challange route Castollon would be the next place on the route, but they don't open until 10 a.m.

When I outlined the itinerary and route, she suggested I just wait until we get to Rio Grande Village and get the pass there.

Sounds like they are very flexible, as long as visitors get the pass at some time during their first day in the park.

I can easily carry someone back to Austin but I am not going home until Monday. I would love the company but understand that not everyone is off work next week.

That might just be perfect. We'll be in touch.

And thanks!!

Voni
sMiling

I called and spoke to Barbara at PJ and was told that the West entrance will be selling passes at 8 a.m. on Friday.

When I mentioned plans for an earlier start she said passes can be purchased at any facility. For the Challange route Castollon would be the next place on the route, but they don't open until 10 a.m.

When I outlined the itinerary and route, she suggested I just wait until we get to Rio Grande Village and get the pass there.

Sounds like they are very flexible, as long as visitors get the pass at some time during their first day in the park.
Thanks Moto!! Good info....:sun:

Senior citizens. Life time pass should be purchased. $10.00. For 65+
What a deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading out in the morning. According to google Maps I should be in Terlingua by 3 or 4pm. I have everything packed and good to go.

Made Del Rio!

Bunking down at Best Western. Gonna really enjoy this rally. :)

temporary_zps0daa3d02.jpg

Hey Snakebitten, MissBehave thanks y'all for the draft out of Uvalde - she's always glad to see another bike esp at night; it was just a bit lonesome out there after the sun went down!...we're at the Whispering Palms. See y'all out there!

Hey Snakebitten, MissBehave thanks y'all for the draft out of Uvalde - she's always glad to see another bike esp at night; it was just a bit lonesome out there after the sun went down!...we're at the Whispering Palms. See y'all out there!

That was you??!!

Yep, it got chilly. And I don't really enjoy those rural 2-lanes with 75mph limits at night. Constantly watching for some beady eyes on the roadside.

Yea, see ya tomorrow. We gotta lalligag a bit in the morning, waiting for another mate that didn't catch us tonight. He quit in Junction. So we are gonna give him 1 more shot at catching us here in Del Rio before we leave.

Well, many thanks to Ralph at Cycletec for helping repair a mangled shift lever on riding buddy's Honda 250(ledge on Blackgap Road yesterday). See everyone tonight ...

Looking for a group to ride with on friday. first time at big bend. Slower riding preferred.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Looking for a group to ride with on friday. first time at big bend. Slower riding preferred.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Saturday if you like. Off road? We will be in town in the am for the day and dinner.
Ara and Spirit

PS: if so, let us know where to meet... [Ural=slow=but goes everywhere :lol2:]

Best time I have had on 2 wheels in a very long time.

Hap, you are a true gent!
Mike, you talk too much. :) (guy just rides. Never says a word)
Cajun, how did you NOT go down on that VStrom?
Japako, you are the man! Thanks for watchin out for GSA Broussard.
GSA Broussard, what planet did you arrive from?
Tall Gear, wish I got to ride with you. Next time.
Skyscraper Matthew, I was doing 60 standing up waving hi-bye, making the biggest plume I could, when you went by. It was great to meat you.

To any\all the other riders that I crossed paths with, thanks for letting me in the club.

And finally, for all the fine folks in Terlingua that let me come play in your yard, I very much appreciate it.

Thanks

700 miles home. My poor weary bones. ;)

Thanks everyone for a great 2 days of dirty goodness! I re-learned how much fun a simple, low capacity single can be (as long as you get in the right gear ahead of time) and the diminutive DR was absolutely the little engine that could. Think 45mph in the park feels slow? Try it on 200cc, felt like we were going a 100 the whole time!

Ride home was honest-to-goodness horrible. Had a nice little run in the morning sun up to Monihans, very West Texas and with Miss Valentine, do-able at 95 plus. The I hit I-20 and the icy 40mph gale on the left quarter. Luckily it only lasted the remaining 450 miles back to my house! Rode through 2 major dust storms.

Anyway, as one does, made it home in one, albeit cold, piece.

Best time I have had on 2 wheels in a very long time.

Hap, you are a true gent!
Mike, you talk too much. :) (guy just rides. Never says a word)
Cajun, how did you NOT go down on that VStrom?
Japako, you are the man! Thanks for watchin out for GSA Broussard.
GSA Broussard, what planet did you arrive from?
Tall Gear, wish I got to ride with you. Next time.
Skyscraper Matthew, I was doing 60 standing up waving hi-bye, making the biggest plume I could, when you went by. It was great to meat you.

To any\all the other riders that I crossed paths with, thanks for letting me in the club.

And finally, for all the fine folks in Terlingua that let me come play in your yard, I very much appreciate it.

Thanks

700 miles home. My poor weary bones. ;)

Snakebitten,

I'm sorry we didn't get to ride further together as well. I'm sure we will cross paths again!

What a great ride. So many good rides and many great people to meet.

snakebitten, it was a real pleasure meeting you and Mike. Both of you are easy going and have max fun. I hope we get to meet again, and next time we can ride Old Ore Rd.:trust:

philipbarrett, great meeting you and riding with you. I hope we get to do it again.

tricepilot, I enjoyed the ride and learning from you. Another time, maybe at a campout..:rofl:

And for everyone else(Beemer Bobs brother,, Beemerbob,, Hizzo,, Mike, Pete, Matt,, and those I can't remember your names. It was nice meeting and seeing some of you again.
It will be nice seeing all of you again.
:rider::eat:
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back