• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Around the Bend - a "Super" Ride in Big Bend

Although not TWTourist, I also hung back for most of the morning to help a guy attempting the Challenge on a DL-1000 with street tires. He probably dropped the bike at least 20 times on River Road, once even on a hill, straight into the rock garden, after which I had to ride it out for him. He was getting increasingly distressed, tired (as was I after helping him pick this beast up so many times), dehydrated and had cut his mouth. I eventually persuaded him to wait by the trail for the sweep team and recover.

So I head off, finally getting to enjoy the beautiful weather and trails. Hah Kemo-Sabe, this was not to last! About 8 miles into Black Gap the bike started stalling on me, finally dying on that gnarly little loose hill. I managed to get it to the top and after checking the usual suspects to no avail, told Ralph who was with me at the time, to head off & let Uncle know I was stranded.

Since I had loooooots of time I stripped the bike down and found I had no spark at all. Checked all the electrics but nothing seemed obvious but by now I have a flat battery too (I'm actually thinking my charging system is weak or defective although it meters fine).

After hanging by the trail for a couple of hours a family in a Toyota 4WD pickup stopped and offered me a lift. We had to re-arrange their entire load but got the bike in and I settled down in the bed, under a kayak sun shade, for the long ride to Rio Grande Village. Actually it was very pleasant lying back in the shade and I found myself nodding off! About that time the sweep crew caught up with me and after reassuring them I was 100% OK just chilling in the truck, they headed off.

After a couple of hours at Rio Grande uncle and Elzi showed up with the trailer and we made the long trek home underneath a beautiful sunset.

So...long story short, not much mileage (63 total) and no award for me, but that's why they call it Adventure Riding!

:rider:

I saw that guy on river road just after he dropped it in some sand. My question is , why would you bring a strom on a ride like that. :( ? I have one and there is NO way I would do it. There are plenty of roads in the area that I would like to ride on my strom but not the desert challenge .
Personally I feel there were people not prepared for the ride physically and mechanically. I might be out of line with that but it's just the way I feel. I do realize anything can happen even to even the best riders though. Sorry if I offended any one.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

I wanted to take this opportunity to do a shout out to TWTourist (aka Dave) that devoted much of his time helping others instead of getting to ride.

On Saturday, TWTourist partnered with a less experienced rider for the Adventure Challenge. The less experienced rider was not able to complete the challenge. Because TWTourist is a good person and a good friend, he stayed with the inexperienced rider. TWTourist paid for the challenge and had the skills to earn a completion certificate but getting a certificate was not his priority. His priority was to his fellow riders.

I just felt the need to give TWTourist some special recognition as one of those that make this group of TWTers great.

IMG_1258.jpg
[/URL]

Dave rode well on a 2012 V-Strom Adventure with 90/10 street tires. Yes, he could have made it easily without me trailing behind. After going down three times in a few hundred yards in a deep gravel section, I lost any confidence I may have had. The heavy Tenere ended up laying on right foot once and left leg twice. The last time the pannier corner was mashing my calf. As Dave said, my pucker factor had gotten too high. He was having a great time and had to slow down every few miles and let me catch up. Thanks Dave, it was quite a ride until that gravel section.

IMG_1247.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

You need to use the IMG code in the lower right corner of the Photobucket screen when viewing the image you want to include in your post.

The links above don't actually link to an image file.

Oh, I also fixed your previous post with the images of TWTourist ;-)

Well I wouldn't take hero to seriously lol but thanks for the congrats I had the time of my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely had a great time and would like to thank everyone who helped with the event.

I had little to no drama on the KLR. The only issue I had was getting my speedometer cable wrapped up in my spokes. Thankfully that was all that broke
tujunyza.jpg
I didn't drop it at all during the rally(first time to accomplish that) and finish in just under 10 hours. Unfortunately I was not able to stay and collect me collect my certificate but it really doesn't matter anyway. I had fun and was able to ride home.
u7e6y2ad.jpg

And sorry DoctorXRR for almost running you over. It is a good picture though!
y5a5y8u7.jpg

Kudos to TWTourest! That seems to be the prevalent attitude with everybody. The comradery is the most important thing. Good people all around.

Great event as always. Thank you Richard and Connie! It was great to see a bunch of friends. I hope to be back for Richard event in October in Austin. I am going back to Guatemala tomorrow then riding to Costa Rica and beyond... around Easter. Anyone interested in guided tours in Guatemala and Central America shoot me a PM.

Kudos to TWTourest! That seems to be the prevalent attitude with everybody. The comradery is the most important thing. Good people all around.

Very true.

I would like to think I would do the same for my fellow riders if in that situation but I always seem to be the one in need of assistance.

I wanted to take this opportunity to do a shout out to TWTourist (aka Dave) that devoted much of his time helping others instead of getting to ride.

...His priority was to his fellow riders.

I just felt the need to give TWTourist some special recognition as one of those that make this group of TWTers great.

Dave, it was nice riding with you on Friday through BBNP. Here's a shot of you at Boquillas Canyon...

Day7_029.jpg

And sorry DoctorXRR for almost running you over. It is a good picture though!
y5a5y8u7.jpg

No worries, I tried to get a good angle but ended up on the wrong end of target fixation!

Enjoyed hanging out with you and catching a good Mexican dinner after. You handled the big KLR great all the way through! Welcome to Big Bend!

Myself, JMZ (AKA Hannibal), Dirtorslab, Silverbullet- outside the bunkhouse in the State Park on Thursday.
IMG_1083.jpg

Guale2-
Myself
IMG_1085.jpg

Dirtorslab
IMG_1086.jpg

Silverbullet looking moody
IMG_1087.jpg

Some trail-
If you slide your bike far enough and fast enough at this rock...
Y6l5Vmgfa5G4bkhP8rtfN9yOIFl2xXq3o4E2EvFSWEs=w766-h616-no.jpg

You get this...
IMG_1092.jpg

And if you have Quicksteel, some electrical tape to back up the fix while it cures, and some friends to run back to the truck for the oil you brought but forgot to put in your bag you do this...
IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

I rode it out and rode the rest of the weekend.

Friends telling tales-
D78A2F68-03CA-4480-9F42-694FFE9CB87F_zps9qh6tokb.jpg

More later, these pics are by JMZ.

IMG_1259.jpg

As we left Marfa Dave stopped to see if Tricepilot needed any help. I imagine the back wheel was balanced better without the tire spoon in it.

IMG_1232.jpg

Friday we followed a trail up Santa Elena Canyon. Had me breathing hard for awhile.

IMG_1209.jpg

Camilo coming up a hairpin into Panther Junction.

IMG_1187.jpg

Fred had more fun going through the corners standing up.

IMG_1169.jpg

Guessing Nadeem has to clean bugs off when he gets home.

IMG_1165.jpg

Our legendary Campmeister, Beemerless Bob.

Myself, JMZ (AKA Hannibal), Dirtorslab, Silverbullet- outside the bunkhouse in the State Park on Thursday.
IMG_1083.jpg

Guale2-
Myself
IMG_1085.jpg

Dirtorslab
IMG_1086.jpg

Silverbullet looking moody
IMG_1087.jpg

Some trail-
If you slide your bike far enough and fast enough at this rock...
Y6l5Vmgfa5G4bkhP8rtfN9yOIFl2xXq3o4E2EvFSWEs=w766-h616-no.jpg

You get this...
IMG_1092.jpg

And if you have Quicksteel, some electrical tape to back up the fix while it cures, and some friends to run back to the truck for the oil you brought but forgot to put in your bag you do this...
IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

I rode it out and rode the rest of the weekend.

Friends telling tales-
D78A2F68-03CA-4480-9F42-694FFE9CB87F_zps9qh6tokb.jpg

More later, these pics are by JMZ.

I got more upset when I found the banana in my tool bag had exploded all over everything than Joel did after his clutch broke :eek2: :giveup: :doh:

:clap: :clap: :clap: You are the MAN Joel :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

I could fix the clutch cover. That banana was gone forever!

Our Uncles weekend started in Mexico on Thursday, we were just onto the trail when we saw this, was this an omen like in the Bugs Bunny cartoon when the skull and crossbones are talking to him out in the desert...maybe it's not safe here...maybe we should turn back...

bones_zps9670d13b.jpg

Riders,

For all of you that struggled with the 10 miles of sand/silt on River Road, I present...

Milton's Sand Riding Clinic

Step 1: Come in hot
_1010933-L.jpg

Step 2: Stay on the Gas and Let the bike find its way
_1010935-L.jpg

Step 3: Don't panic if the bike changes course - stay on the gas
_1010936-L.jpg

Step 4: Dab your foot if needed, but stay on the gas
_1010937-L.jpg

Step 5: Stay committed while providing gentle yet firm riding inputs
_1010938_tonemapped-L.jpg

Step 6: Stay on the gas
_1010939_tonemapped-L.jpg

And don't forget, make sure the photographer has his camera on motor drive. :clap:

This concludes Milton's Sand Riding Clinic.

If you ride a KTM, then the previous sand riding technique does not apply. Instead you have a different technique you must use. TricePilot Bob demonstrates:

Step 1: Stand up in the Attack Position. Stay on the Gas.
_1010960-L.jpg

Step 2: Keep riding
_1010961-L.jpg

Step 3: Stop at Step 2 - Ho, Hum, there is no drama riding a KTM in the sand. It just motors through.
_1010962-L.jpg

I could fix the clutch cover. That banana was gone forever!

Good fix on the cover; nothing like good partners to go fetch what you forgot.:sun:

Bananas are not dualsport tough in a backpack much less a tool pack.:lol2:

These are the things that make rides memorable. :clap:

I want to thank Richard, Connie and all the others that worked to put together one awesome event. This was our first year and we were very impressed with the organization, Location, hospitality and especially the food....every meal was incredible....My first experience in Big Bend was awesome and I cant wait to return year after year....

Attachments

• 2014-02-21 09.35.37.jpg
    2014-02-21 09.35.37.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 2014-02-21 23.36.27.jpg
    2014-02-21 23.36.27.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 2014-02-22 04.54.36.jpg
    2014-02-22 04.54.36.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 2014-02-22 07.07.55.jpg
    2014-02-22 07.07.55.jpg