• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Around the Bend - a "Super" Ride in Big Bend

That sure looks like a husqvarna tail piece looks like my 2013 TE449 stock tail piece before I removed it ....not mine though....

Doesn't your bike have amber turn signal lenses? That looks like from a Husky Terra 650 or a BMW 650. If the plate wasn't taped over it could be run thru the DMW database (plenty have access to this) and the owner name/address discovered. Good chance it had been sitting awhile there and not even from an Uncle's attendee.

_

First one. BBNP. Dusty lens and all.
Edit: Hmmm, I guess I don't get HD unless I pay Vimeo money...

[ame="http://vimeo.com/88954777"]BigBend2014-GOPR0030 on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
A few more.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/88956798"]BigBend_2014-GOPR0037 on Vimeo[/ame]
[ame="http://vimeo.com/88956800"]BigBend_2014-GOPR0057 on Vimeo[/ame]
[ame="http://vimeo.com/88956799"]BigBend_2014-GOPR0061 on Vimeo[/ame]

Doesn't your bike have amber turn signal lenses? That looks like from a Husky Terra 650 or a BMW 650. If the plate wasn't taped over it could be run thru the DMW database (plenty have access to this) and the owner name/address discovered. Good chance it had been sitting awhile there and not even from an Uncle's attendee.

_

Good point about it not being from an attendee. I was thinking that it may belong to someone not on this forum and maybe from the ADVENTURE forum.

From mobile

Good point about it not being from an attendee. I was thinking that it may belong to someone not on this forum and maybe from the ADVENTURE forum.

From mobile

After checking the Max fiche I don't think it's off of a BMW G series bike, either 450 or 650. A lot of European bikes have that type of turn signal. That would be an expensive part to replace and make it worth a phone call to law enforcement to see if they could track down the owner of the plate. If you can't get rid of it though, those turn indicators are $50 each new.

It might be from someone who has not checked in. I sent a pm to wildernessrider last night. I know he was out there on his tera and has broke this tail piece before but have not heard from him.

After a couple of hours at Rio Grande uncle and Elzi showed up with the trailer and we made the long trek home underneath a beautiful sunset.

So...long story short, not much mileage (63 total) and no award for me, but that's why they call it Adventure Riding!

:rider:
Glad you enjoyed the adventure overall, Phillip :) And thanks for cheering up Roger and I after spending 16 miles on Old Ore Rd hauling a trailer searching for the Ghost Bike. Our teeth were chattering, our backs ached and we were tempted to kiss the tarmac after that. ;)

That sunset was one of the best I've seen since being back here. And thanks for helping out the rider. It's guys like you and the other former poster that give all of us a sense of community. :clap:

Come back down and I'll take you to more fantastic hikes around here. :trust:

Cool seeing that Postie on Black Gap!
Postie_zps0023c165.jpg

Looking at the large version of that picture, is that a Hwy peg(s) I see on the chromed down tube? That's a hoot. :lol2:

My brother-in-law and I took a couple of posties down Old Ore Rd going north to south a few years ago, at the south end we were beat, little bikes were much tougher than us.

Thanks everyone for posting here for the rest of us to enjoy.

Cool seeing that Postie on Black Gap!
Postie_zps0023c165.jpg

Looking at the large version of that picture, is that a Hwy peg(s) I see on the chromed down tube? That's a hoot. :lol2:

My brother-in-law and I took a couple of posties down Old Ore Rd going north to south a few years ago, at the south end we were beat, little bikes were much tougher than us.

Thanks everyone for posting here for the rest of us to enjoy.

seen that pic b4

loved it

reminds me of DAD & his, w/ his cooler on the back, down at the coast

there were times when he would escape, to parts unknown

he loved noodling around the harbors, beaches, repair shops & backwaters, down there:rider:

he put many thousands of miles on it

many thanks for the FOND REMEMBERIES!!!

sw

Cool seeing that Postie on Black Gap! is that a Hwy peg(s) I see on the chromed down tube? That's a hoot. :lol2:

My brother-in-law and I took a down Old Ore Rd going north to south a few years ago, at the south end we were beat, little bikes were much tougher than us.

Them's were highway pegs. Guy told me he usually has a dog in a milk crate bungeed to the rack too.

I think I remember your thread about the trip you took?

It might be from someone who has not checked in. I sent a pm to wildernessrider last night. I know he was out there on his tera and has broke this tail piece before but have not heard from him.

Nope it isn't mine, but it sure does look like a Husky rear fender section.
I am happy to report that my Terra did both challenges without as much as a single flat! Even with my giving it a pretty good workout on the dirt challenge, I went issue free for the entire trip. Really had a fun time riding with everyone, and meeting lots of new folks. Special thanks to Jeff & Lynn for allowing us to join into your group. While we ended up riding at different paces, I really enjoyed your warm demeanor and graciousness, and look forward to seeing you at another function soon. Also a shout out to Tyler for being patient and waiting for us so we could finish up our lunch at Rio Grande City. Without your navigation assistance I might still be out in some obscure corner of the park. Sorry we weren't able to hang for all the Sat night festivities. After that nice big meal, and receiving my awards, I went back to camp to stash my finishers loot. That's when I made the critical mistake of laying down for "just a moment before I head back over to the party"... Well so much for my whooping it up at the big Saturday night riders shendigg with all my buddies. Hopefully next year I wont fizzle out quite so early. Also want to give a big THANK YOU to Richard & Connie for all the many hours of work you put into making this event come off so well again this year. I think most everyone really enjoyed the outing. Connie still hooked me up with my finishers awards, despite the fact that I failed to find her and let her know I had actually completed the rides. Thanks again Connie for covering me! That was all my bad, no mix up on your part at all. Big Bend is such a riders treasure. I encourage anyone who hasn't yet made the trip to do so.
And make sure you bring a bike! :rider:

I had a great "Around the Bend" this year. It was first big ride since very bad work shoulder/bicep injury in April 2013. Great camping at Rancho Topanga with Ivan, Pete, Ruben, and Jordan and all others. Two pefect nights for looking at the stars and meteors.

http://www.ranchotopanga.com/

See everyone down the old dusty!

i-jQkGsxm-L.jpg

Along with Richard and Milton, Ed29 was an excellent riding amigo this year on the Desert Challenge. Ed and I enjoyed the full loop and especially the "sand dance" on Old Marathon.

I also enjoyed stopping at Ed's fantastic homesite out in the desert. We did a little "tactical gassing" of the KTM and also some creative license plate work so my (temporarily lost) license plate wouldn't be a problem for the sheriff.

I tried to pay Ed back in part as we enjoyed a fabulous dinner at the Starlight Theater after the Desert Challenge.

All in all, a perfect day.

Great riding with you Ed!

i-9FhbD8c-L.jpg

Last year, Scott (Stingray) let me ride his KTM around the parking lot in Study Butte. I had seen Tyler's KTM 500 at a gas station in Ozona on the way out to last year's event. After I rode Scott's bike, I was hooked. I called TJ's in Austin on the way home to San Antonio.....

"I'll be up on Tuesday" I told TJ.

On ADV, I had read Rich Dozer's Baja ride report.

Riding Little pigs in Baja!

Based on that report and PMing with Rich on ADV, I made up a list of mods and had TJs bolt them on.

The Big Things that were great mods on the Desert Challenge and the Adventure Challenge were these:

(1) Acerbis 5.5 gallon tank (note to self: still get at least 2 gallons in Rio Grande Village)
(2) Rekluse Clutch
(3) Scott Steering Damper
(4) Precisely tuned suspension

When I was on River Road West last year with Philip and Carl, I was on the KLR and it did fine, but this year it felt like cheating on this bike.

I enjoyed "snowboarding" over the deep sand and gravel a la "Arnold"

I did spin the bike out from under me on the climb out of Black Gap when I was in the wrong gear and grabbed too much throttle.

Other than that, I had zero problems anywhere on the two day ride

...Other than having left a tire spoon in the rear tire before Uncle's weekend, a tire spoon which made the full Desert Challenge loop inside the rear tire and which didn't emerge until Marfa on the Adventure Challenge. :lol2:

Note: I am ditching the Dunlop Geomax 51 rear tire as well as the rim locks front and rear. Between Richard, Milton, and myself, the stiff sidewall on that tire turned fixing the tube into an hour and a half ordeal, which included Richard's fingers getting slammed, and the rim lock causing another flat that had to be patched. I am returning to tire spoon friendly Dunlop 606s

PS: Thanks to Beemer Bob and Solorider who found my license plate on River Road :lol2:

This was a great bike to ride in Big Bend.

...If you can't get rid of it though, those turn indicators are $50 each new.

Only $50 each from BMW. Buy that same light assembly from Husqvarna instead for only $23.50. BMW is too proud. Similarly yesterday I went to Walmart for a lawnmower spark plug. They had the Champion plug I needed in Briggs and Stratton packaging for $5. Said screw that and drove another 1/2 mile to Autozone and got the exact same plug for $1.99

_

i-9FhbD8c-L.jpg

Last year, Scott (Stingray) let me ride his KTM around the parking lot in Study Butte. I had seen Tyler's KTM 500 at a gas station in Ozona on the way out to last year's event. After I rode Scott's bike, I was hooked. I called TJ's in Austin on the way home to San Antonio.....

"I'll be up on Tuesday" I told TJ.

On ADV, I had read Rich Dozer's Baja ride report.

Riding Little pigs in Baja!

Based on that report and PMing with Rich on ADV, I made up a list of mods and had TJs bolt them on.

The Big Things that were great mods on the Desert Challenge and the Adventure Challenge were these:

(1) Acerbis 5.5 gallon tank (note to self: still get at least 2 gallons in Rio Grande Village)
(2) Rekluse Clutch
(3) Scott Steering Damper
(4) Precisely tuned suspension

When I was on River Road West last year with Philip and Carl, I was on the KLR and it did fine, but this year it felt like cheating on this bike.

I enjoyed "snowboarding" over the deep sand and gravel a la "Arnold"

I did spin the bike out from under me on the climb out of Black Gap when I was in the wrong gear and grabbed too much throttle.

Other than that, I had zero problems anywhere on the two day ride

...Other than having left a tire spoon in the rear tire before Uncle's weekend, a tire spoon which made the full Desert Challenge loop inside the rear tire and which didn't emerge until Marfa on the Adventure Challenge. :lol2:

Note: I am ditching the Dunlop Geomax 51 rear tire as well as the rim locks front and rear. Between Richard, Milton, and myself, the stiff sidewall on that tire turned fixing the tube into an hour and a half ordeal, which included Richard's fingers getting slammed, and the rim lock causing another flat that had to be patched. I am returning to tire spoon friendly Dunlop 606s

PS: Thanks to Beemer Bob and Solorider who found my license plate on River Road :lol2:

This was a great bike to ride in Big Bend.

I bet that was your license plate(LP) I turned into Connie at the banquet. A jeep driver flagged me down on River Road and gave it to me. It had a TJs KTM plastic frame with reflector LP holding bolts. Connie put it in the lost and found pile right next to the big fender assembly.

Trice,
Please explain your earlier comment about leaving a tire spoon in the tire. Really??

I had heard of it happening before, but until I "lost" one during a tire change, I didn't think it could happen to me.

I tell the story so that other "do it yourself" tire changers keep track of their spoons. At minimum, count them before and after a job.

We do a ton of tires at my house so there are always a pile of spoons around.

If you do enough of these jobs at home, you might understand how easy it is to knock a spoon with a knee or whatever and it "disappears" into the tire carcass between the tire and the tube.

Trust me, I'm living proof the tire will air right up like nothing is wrong AND the weight of the spoon won't be noticed or make the tire wobble.

I'm the Mad Scientist Tire Academy guy so I'm glad it happened to me so I can pass it on as a lesson learned.

PS, and as the Mad Scientist Tire Guy I don't profess to be the world's expert on tire changing - my whole deal is that riders, especially dirt riders, should endeavor to be self sufficient and PRACTICE before they take to the trail, hopefully with all the tools and tubes and patches they need to be self sufficient. When Richard and Milton and I worked on the tire in Marfa, Richard jumped in with some techniques of his own, many of which are as good or better than mine (the stiff sidewall Geomax was a pain no matter what).

Flat tire repair and drowned bike resuscitation are two skills anybody who rides off road needs to be ready to deal with or you'll be dependent on others or walking (or using a cell phone to call for help). On my own KTM I have yet to practice removing the tank to get to the spark plug should I drop the bike in the next river. I'm of the camp that it's better to practice in the driveway (even if that practice doesn't go perfectly :lol2:) than out on the trail.

You can use my poor tire spoon tracking management as proof that you have to be ready for anything.

PS the ground-down tire spoon is going into the Mad Scientist Tire Academy Museum.

I bet that was your license plate(LP) I turned into Connie at the banquet. A jeep driver flagged me down on River Road and gave it to me. It had a TJs KTM plastic frame with reflector LP holding bolts. Connie put it in the lost and found pile right next to the big fender assembly.

Thanks! Someone said Beemer Bob found it but if you did, thanks!

I had heard of it happening before, but until I "lost" one during a tire change, I didn't think it could happen to me.

I tell the story so that other "do it yourself" tire changers keep track of their spoons. At minimum, count them before and after a job.

We do a ton of tires at my house so there are always a pile of spoons around.

If you do enough of these jobs at home, you might understand how easy it is to knock a spoon with a knee or whatever and it "disappears" into the tire carcass between the tire and the tube.

Trust me, I'm living proof the tire will air right up like nothing is wrong AND the weight of the spoon won't be noticed or make the tire wobble.

I'm the Mad Scientist Tire Academy guy so I'm glad it happened to me so I can pass it on as a lesson learned.

PS, and as the Mad Scientist Tire Guy I don't profess to be the world's expert on tire changing - my whole deal is that riders, especially dirt riders, should endeavor to be self sufficient and PRACTICE before they take to the trail, hopefully with all the tools and tubes and patches they need to be self sufficient. When Richard and Milton and I worked on the tire in Marfa, Richard jumped in with some techniques of his own, many of which are as good or better than mine (the stiff sidewall Geomax was a pain no matter what).

Flat tire repair and drowned bike resuscitation are two skills anybody who rides off road needs to be ready to deal with or you'll be dependent on others or walking (or using a cell phone to call for help). On my own KTM I have yet to practice removing the tank to get to the spark plug should I drop the bike in the next river. I'm of the camp that it's better to practice in the driveway (even if that practice doesn't go perfectly :lol2:) than out on the trail.

You can use my poor tire spoon tracking management as proof that you have to be ready for anything.

PS the ground-down tire spoon is going into the Mad Scientist Tire Academy Museum.

Bob
One of your students, Ivan, helped change the front tire on a riders XL650 on River Road. It went really fast with Ivan and myself helping the rider.

i-5qvHtnS-L.jpg

i-s2gcfCj-L.jpg

Richard and Ed29 on the climb out of Black Gap.

The sand sections on River Road and this climb out of Black Gap, and perhaps the silt on Old Marathon, are the toughest parts of the Desert Challenge.

If loose silt, sand, and gravel are friends to you, then the Black Gap climb is really the last of the tough stuff on the Desert Challenge, IMHO, at least when the route is ridden in a counter clockwise direction.

PS, and as the Mad Scientist Tire Guy I don't profess to be the world's expert on tire changing - my whole deal is that riders, especially dirt riders, should endeavor to be self sufficient and PRACTICE before they take to the trail, hopefully with all the tools and tubes and patches they need to be self sufficient.

This is great advice, not just for tires but tools in general.

I deliberately prepped my bike for this year's challenge (including new tires) using only the tools in my on-bike tool roll. During the process I discovered some things I needed and a couple I didn't.

Point being; when I was stranded on Black Gap I was able to completely strip the bike and perform some good testing and repair trailside. Not that in this case it helped but I was certainly better off than if I'd used my nice Craftsman set at the house.

I did discover I needed an 8mm socket for the sprocket cover and I plan to add a test light!

Back