• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET500; Oct 10,11,12; Livingston start

Here are a few of the photos I took. Sorry I did not get more......

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02661.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02678.jpg

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

DSC02688.jpg

I made it back to League City. I drove through hail and hard rain, I hope the Sugarland crew did not hit that. I have lots of photos/video.

This was a great ride.

15530153375_798086590e_b.jpg

Made it back to Livingston at 12:50 and home at 5:00. I drove through bad rain most of the way. I stopped in Wharton to grab a burger and on the exit ramp I noticed a car in the ditch; that’s about the time my truck swapped ends:eek2: I was working the wheel and waiting for the crash it finally stopped still on the pavement just facing the wrong way.
Now to unload dirty wet gear.

Wow. that was a fun ride home... At least that monsoon rain cleared most of the mud off the bike! Free Wash.

Great meeting and riding with you guys this weekend! Can't wait for next year, I'll post some of my pics later.

Livingston Group Friday Morning
NikonRugged_0432_October102014.jpg

Rain Day 1
NikonRugged_0434_October102014.jpg

Bail, bail, bail!
NikonRugged_0435_October102014.jpg

We need to find more of this!
NikonRugged_0441_October112014.jpg

Peanut Butter Hill
NikonRugged_0443_October112014.jpg

Nice coating
IMG_4563.jpg

Auditioning for pizza/beer delivery man in Rusk, I hear theres an opening.
IMG_4565.jpg

The group leaving Rusk KOA
NikonRugged_0444_October122014.jpg

Made it home in one piece. Strange as it may sound - considering the conditions - this was an epic ride. Challenging and totally satisfying. More to come...

WillQ, I am the one who led the 'slow' group out of Livingston. I only have two data points with you and based on what I saw from the first observation to the second I was impressed with your overall improvement. You had quite a bit of weight on your KLR. I have a KLR and know they also tend to plow when in sand and mud. I did see you struggle the first time as you rode towards me and then seemed relatively comfortable the second time coming into the rest stop. Given your experience, the circumstances and conditions I hope you do NOT judge future rides on the basis of this first experience. Think about lightening up the bike, keeping your elbows up and ride as high on tank as you are comfortable, it will help.

The only picture I have for reference. First day in the mud.

EastTex450.jpg

Wow, looks like another great mud-fest! Sorry I couldn't have been there to slog it out with you fellers.

That would have been fun. RG, tell me what I missed. I know you have seen a slick road or two.

I've got a video uploading, but it still has a few hours pending.... got a couple of Vstrom crashes...

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Got her done - here is what I have from this year - little sand, little mud, lots of fun:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fu8hc_JxNk"]ET500 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
WillQ, I am the one who led the 'slow' group out of Livingston. I only have two data points with you and based on what I saw from the first observation to the second I was impressed with your overall improvement. You had quite a bit of weight on your KLR. I have a KLR and know they also tend to plow when in sand and mud. I did see you struggle the first time as you rode towards me and then seemed relatively comfortable the second time coming into the rest stop. Given your experience, the circumstances and conditions I hope you do NOT judge future rides on the basis of this first experience. Think about lightening up the bike, keeping your elbows up and ride as high on tank as you are comfortable, it will help.

The only picture I have for reference. First day in the mud.

EastTex450.jpg

I was so ready to give up right there after dropping the Tiger in that mud a few times. Even though you can't see my face I think you can see it in my posture. I was so exhausted I did not even want to walk back across the mud for my gear. lol

Thank you for the help on that road! And thank you for letting me ride with you guys.

I was so ready to give up right there after dropping the Tiger in that mud a few times. Even though you can't see my face I think you can see it in my posture. I was so exhausted I did not even want to walk back across the mud for my gear. lol

Thank you for the help on that road! And thank you for letting me ride with you guys.

It was a pleasure riding with you Brad, hopefully we can do it again ... eh, with less mud please! :-)

Night Before the Ride

Adventurous Lad: "Alright! Everything pretty much fits into my cases. Dear, could you come sit on this one for just a sec and mash this lid down?"

Kind Wife: :WHAT!!!?

Adventurous Lad: "I meant, could you come press down just a touch on it so I can snap these latches shut."

Kind Wife: "Have you looked at the weather radar lately? There's a big green blob all the way from Monterrey Mexico to Ft. Smith Arkansas heading this direction. And, the forecast is now guaranteed storms for the next three days...and nights."

Adventurous Lad: "Aw, what do those weather geeks know? Their computers are all made in China for goodness sake! This is Texas! Weather changes hourly here. Besides, if it starts raining then I'm turning that motorcycle back towards the truck and heading to the house. I ain't into slippin and slidin around on muddy roads."

Kind Wife: ( Smiles in that same loving manner as when a small child assured her that the cookies really disappeared by an unfortunate process his teacher called diffusion.)

DD.jpg

RG is a much better story teller than me and he is off to a good start, so I’ll sit back and enjoy with the rest of you. I’ll try to post a few pics when I can. No pics of down bikes, these guys can pick one up faster than they drop one. I rode with three guys I had never ridden with before JoePieper, Beemin and RG. When we were grouping up at Wal-Mart Beemin says to me “Hey you want to get 3 or 4 of us for a kind of a fast group, I am not really into flower sniffing”. I shouted out “Hey were going to break off a fast group of small bikes if anybody wants to join us”, before I could finish Joe was standing next to us then RG looks around and slowly saunters over to us and that’s how we got started. I will say that like every ride I have been on with TWT guys, I enjoyed the people and had great time riding and visiting with all.

As it began...

There’s always something personally compelling about the trip to a motorcycle ride. More so when it starts in the cool damp hours well before daylight. The whole quiet world distilled inside two beams of pale headlights. Solitude. The long steady rhythm of the trucks engine. A comforting aroma of strong coffee. An occasional glimpse in the mirror as passing street lights wash over the machine strapped in back. And an undeniable spark of excitement that turns and grows in that spot just north of the belly button.

Everybody that rides these things long enough has scars to show for it. Some don’t ride anymore. In my short time, I've seen some hurt. I’m certainly no better. Is this going to be my time? Dude… turn on the radio!

Yep… arrived to the Livingston launch pad at what I thought was early. Bunch of folks already there…loaded motorcycles…serious pre-ride tire kicking well underway.

Hmmm…didn’t really expect this many folks to show up. I mean, this ain’t going to be just a day ride and everybody home in time for supper. Don’t they know we have to ride loaded heavy for days and the weather is about to go nuts? JQueen did a really good job of putting this ride together.

Of course I soon spotted several familiar friends in the group but a surprising number of other folks were new. Made the rounds saying howdy and then figured I’d better unload, gear-up and see if the dang thing will crank today.

Couple of new-to-me chaps come over to assist with the unload but, you know, it’s sorta like loading a boat… if you’re used to doing it alone then it just works better that way. Doggone thoughtful of them to offer, though. Typical TWT ride…

Ok, I will get started, might be slow. Check back.
(All photos are from a Hero 3 or a HERO 3+, the camera was set to take a photo every 60 seconds along with the video.)

15530153375_798086590e_b.jpg

15344130597_d64e89684b_b.jpg

15527439851_8315c256e2_b.jpg

15527448831_e0edbb3dab_b.jpg

15352599049_ca2800da31_b.jpg

14919053503_57151deaf2_b.jpg

15560148695_8770172161_b.jpg

15539279755_ea0d49d3e9_b.jpg

15352642439_29e953d292_b.jpg

15353099008_06de258ba7_b.jpg

14944847934_a693bc6193_b.jpg

15566445232_1c1362db08_b.jpg

14945451853_7770802a0b_b.jpg

It was a great ride guys. I met many new folks and had a blast riding with my small group. Sorry I had to peel off early the last day. My body was not up to anymore adventure and I decided I should call it a trip while I was ahead. I look forward to rides to come.
Great pics everyone!

Back