• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET500; Oct 10,11,12; Livingston start

jqueen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Alright - let's get formal. East Texas 500 (ish) mile dirt road loop. 3 days. I will update this post with GPS track, rider list, etc. Second post will contain generic details. If something needs to be added to these posts, let me know.

This is not a sponsored or supported ride. As of right now there is no support vehicle, so we will need to carry our own tools and camping supplies. Anybody wants to volunteer a support vehicle and/or driver, let me know.

Please let us know if you are in or not as soon as you can. We don't need exact numbers, but we need to give Bean's a heads up on around how many people.

Try to be at the Livingston Wal Mart by 8AM on the 10th, so that everybody can unload, gear up, split into groups, and be MOVING by 9AM. I don't care if other groups leave early or wait later, but my group will be planning to be gone by 9AM.

IN:
JQueen - KLR650 (GPS)
dirtryder
jmckq2 - V-Strom650
RG (GPS)
Hail (GPS)
JoePieper - DRZ400
BEEMIN - DR650
Silsvee (JOINING SATURDAY)
DLDR
C4nuck
bwdmax - KTM525 (GPS)
John Dirt (GPS)
WillQ - KLR650 (GPS)

Probable/Possible:
bsheet2 - WR250R (GPS)
fly
CeeBee - XR650/WR450

Chickened out:
badabing70 (GPS)
SauceSquatch - KTM990
Mattc

Total mileage for Livingston start = 480[/B][/I][/U]
Friday, October 10: Wal-Mart, Livingston, TX to Bean's VIP Campground, Milam, TX = 146 miles:
Gas in Chester (off track) near 43 miles
Gas in Colmesneil at 55 miles
Gas at The Stump (recommended lunch) at 93 miles
Gas at Hemphill at 125 miles

Saturday, October 11: Bean's VIP Campground to KOA campground, Rusk, TX = 184 miles
Gas in San Augustine (off track) near 37 miles
Gas in Garrison (recommended lunch) at 102 miles

Sunday, October 12: Rusk KOA to Wal-Mart in Livingston = 150 miles.
Gas in Kennard (off track) near 62 miles
Gas in Apple Springs at 81 miles
Gas in Corrigan at 114 miles
We will be crossing paths with the North group on this day. We should all be on the right side of the road anyway, but we will know for sure that there will be opposing traffic on this day.

GPS FILE updated 9/1/2014 - should be complete. Rusk group may not use the first and last sections, since they don't need to come to Livingston.

Attachments

• et500 support vehicle guide.gpx
    318.3 KB · Views: 395
  • et500 first post 9-9-2014.gpx
    464.2 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Ride guidelines - as I said, this is not a supported or sponsored ride, so there will not be strict rules about etiquette, etc. We will split into groups of 5-10 riders prior to departure (smaller groups are better). First and last person in each group needs to be able to follow the route, either by GPS or maps (let me know if you have GPS when I add you to the list).

However, for the group of 5-10 that I am leading:

Due to possible (likely) dust conditions, you will probably not be able to see the person behind you at all times. Proper etiquette will be to try to catch sight of them on the straight sections. If it has been a while since you recall seeing them, stop and wait for them. At all turns, everybody will make sure the person behind them has caught up before making the turn. At turns with a stop sign, we will wait at the stop sign until the whole group is there.

If by chance you get separated due to speed difference, careless leader, etc.. DO NOT cut the course to catch up. The first year I did this the group in front of us was backtracking to find a lost rider. My group found him later on, ahead of his group. He had been delayed for whatever reason (bathroom break, phone call, whatever). Instead of following the tracks, he cut the course to catch up, and ended up in front of his group, which had stopped to wait for him. It would be a good idea for us to have a card with all group leader phone #s and each group leader to have all their rider phone #s. Just like carrying all the stuff for a flat tire - if we are prepared, we won't need them.

Related threads:
original inquiry about the ride, and some planning discussion
Official Rusk group planning thread

It is always difficult to explain a difficulty level. None of this is particularly technical, but there is gravel, hardpack, and sand (and the sand can be in unexpected places). While this this is do-able on any bike (unless it is muddy), the dirt bikes will have an easier go of it. If you have a big bike but no dirt road experience, expect to be in the slowest group and to have some learning moments. If there are no mechanical problems and weather is good, there shouldn't be an issue covering each day in the daylight hours.

However, if there has been rain within the last few days, there will be mud delays (could be hours). Also, if there hasn't been rain for weeks, there will be lots more sand (couple of inches deep in spots).

Remaining to do:

-Call Wal-Mart in to let them know we will be parking
-Call Bean's VIP Campground to make sure they have room for us (BadTex may be doing this for the North group)
-Call Rusk KOA to make sure they have room for us (BadTex may be doing this for the North group).

Last edited:
I can't get off Friday, that's for sure, any idea what time you'll break camp on Saturday? any problem joining late? Rob

I don't have a problem with late comers, you would just have to know which group you are joining so that they make sure to wait for you or can call to make sure you're on the way, etc.
If you join us at Bean's on Saturday morning, there will probably stilll be groups getting on the road at 8:30 - 9:00. Beans has typically provided some breakfast type food Saturday morning which can help delay the starts.

For my group, I don't think we're all that picky - wouldn't want to leave any later than 9AM though.

jqueen you have done an AWSOME job starting this post. I hope you don't mind I'm going to copy it for the North rides, with some changes of course. I'm just not that good at listing/posting/getting all my thoughts on the screen. :clap:

I am a maybe. Due to work demands I will not know if I can go till the week before the ride. Sorry.

Have GPS and can lead or follow if I make it.

Riding WR250R. I ride a relaxed to moderate pace. Like jQueen said, as long as I get to the end in time to set up camp before dark I really do not care.

jQueen, thanks so much for getting the planning started.

I know we are still 2 months out, but not much interest in the Livingston side so far.. Anybody else a probable or thinking about it?

I'm still in even if it's only 3 or 4 people - just want to keep the conversation going.

I'm a possible for a partial trip. Depends on work etc etc. Will be keeping an eye on the thread.

I'm likely for at least 2 of the 3 days if I'm in town. Two months is too far out for me as my summer/fall ride schedule is not yet decided.

_

I'm likely for at least 2 of the 3 days if I'm in town. Two months is too far out for me as my summer/fall ride schedule is not yet decided.

_

^^^^^^
This pretty much sums me up. I'll be watching.

No problem, mainly just wanted to bump the thread. It worked :nana:

Also, I am not particularly pursuing any kind of support vehicle, but if you know somebody willing, let me know and I will help coordinate (alternate GPS tracks/likely lunch locations, etc).

Livingston Start @ Walmart Entirely possiable planning on it, 50 days and counting

Last edited:
I am a Probable. Due to Jury Duty and work demands I will not know if I can go until a couple of weeks before the ride.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and a Nuvi 760 (in a water proof box), both of which are handlebar mounted. Which trail maps do you recommend loading up?

Riding a KLR 650. I ride a relaxed to moderate pace.

Will from Clear Lake

I offered to work on tracks. I'm recovering and am ready to help.

I have 90% of the track recently verified, but I found out that part of the route I took from Livingston to Moscow was paper company land. I need to talk to M about exactly where he meet that paper company employee and do a reroute.

As far as the GPS tracks - I believe what I have attached in the first post will work, but there may be changes here and there until the week before, so make sure you check back before committing to one.

Joel - the portion of your route that was on private land - I thought that was only on your ET750 route, and not shared with the ET500 route? Of course I could easily be wrong.

I offered to work on tracks. I'm recovering and am ready to help.

I have 90% of the track recently verified, but I found out that part of the route I took from Livingston to Moscow was paper company land. I need to talk to M about exactly where he meet that paper company employee and do a reroute.

:clap: Proven tracks are always best. Thanks for taking time to update them.

I'm a probable at this point I'll be watching work and other things that seem to interupt riding. Have GPS

I overlaid the tracks in the first post with the verified 750 track and there is a problem on the third day for the southern starters.

There is no road between 287 and FM 350 (Parrot Rd). There are locked gates and dead ends all along 287 between 59 and Josserand Rd. We found this out last year on the first attempt at the 750 and verified while scouting for this years 750 it driving down every road between 59 and Josserand. The best way to get back to Livingston is to slab 287 to 59 south into Moscow, then take Old 35 and 116, unless you want to backtrack down the Old Israel track.

Old 35 is NASTY when it's wet. It's all clay and I have seen my fair share of bikes on their sides and at least one pickup in the ditch.

The northern starters have no reason to go to Livingston and should take 287 to 59 and head east from Moscow to get back on the track.

Also, at the far east of the track, heading north on 3121 when you get to 21-
-your track takes a right and the a left on Cedar Grove
-my track takes a left then a right on 110 then another right on Henson.
Both go through I believe.

The rest of the track is exactly what we ran in June.

Last edited:
I can take a look at the GPS file and see what I can do on the problem areas. I can probably make a day trip to validate that section..

I rerouted the Carmona -> Livingston section 2 different ways, just have to see if they work (one is pretty definite, the other is less pavement).

Still need to look at:
heading north on 3121 when you get to 21-
-your track takes a right and the a left on Cedar Grove
-my track takes a left then a right on 110 then another right on Henson.
Both go through I believe.

Hopefully I can go ride both parts on Sunday and have the tracks finalized.

I think it is in the GPS files I have, but does anybody remember offhand the common lunch stops on each leg? Not that all groups must stop there, but if we get a support vehicle I want to draw up proposed track for them so they don't just sit around all day (unless they want to). They could make one or two stops where the dirt roads come out onto the highway, and then head on to lunch, then one or two more stops, and on to the campground.

Back