• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Strom Speedometer Sensor

Reaction score
First Name
David
If I change the sprocket ratio, will the speedometer reading change. Not sure where the sensor is located on the bike. I was thinking about changing the front sprocket to a 16 and the rear to a 46. I was wanting to slow the rpm's down some. I didn't want to get the speedo off no more than it is as stock.

The older models took their speedo reading from the c/s sprocket....not sure bout 14up...could be the ABS sensors doin double duty.
I'll be checkin my sprockets cond soon & will look for a speed sensor on c/s.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

it will throw off the speedometer but you correct that using a speedometer calibrator like the 12oclocklabs speedoDRD you can get HERE!
I have one of the new ones on my CB500X and had one of the older ones on my CRF250L they let you calibrate the speedometer to be dead on accurate.

OOOO you didn't say what size strom, Rod is correct for the DL1000 it multiplexes and gets speed info from the ABS control module eliminating any need to correct for gearing changes. the DL650 wee uses a countershaft sensor and the speedoDRD is needed to correct for gearing changes.

It would be for the 2014 Strom 650. After reading your response I searched the internet about it. Yes, it plugs in down on the left side. Thanks

It may actually get it closer to being accurate as the Strom is about 10% off from the factory. Your sprocket change is heading in the direction of correction.

Ok. I will order the parts and get them installed. Then check with the GPS and see where it is. Thanks

Ya kno....its kinda flip flop....
The older 1st gen 650s used a speed sensor on the front wheel so gearing wasnt an issue & those models worked really well by goin up to a 16 tooth c/s sprocket (Suzy changed internal gearing in 2012 negating the need for a change so much)

The 1st gen 1000s used a c/s speed sensor & the gearing seemed to work better with a smaller c/s sprocket change to keep engine rpm out of the lumpy zone down low. But this threw the speedo waaay off.

On your 12up 650....
If 1 tooth up on the front changes the speedo too much...you can always change the rear sprocket down by 1-2 teeth instead. May hafta shorten the chain though.

Also...its odd that Suzy would use the abs sensors for speed on 14up 1000s & not on 12up 650s

actually its not odd, having to redesign and upgrade the electrical systems to include a multiplexed communication system to a bike shortly after a re-design cost money they are not willing to part with if they don't have to.

Yeah....Suzy added ABS as an option on the 650 in 07....but it wasnt std till 2011

& no one has accused Suzy of lax frugality
...especially on the 650

Yeah....Suzy added ABS as an option on the 650 in 07....but it wasnt std till 2011

& no one has accused Suzy of lax frugality
...especially on the 650

better than Honda, my 2019 CB500X came without ABS, that is optional except every single other country in the world where ABS is standard and many get the chipped key and tracking device standard.

It helps to have the right tools. I got to the speed sensor on the shaft and had to stop. Will need an impact hex to remove it to get the counter sprocket off.

I have a question maybe someone could with. The speedometer pickup, I suppose it is right word, is rather difficult for me to remove. I am wanting to change my sprockets. I am worried the allen head might break off. Are these put on with loctite. I assume it has to be removed to get the nut loose. Yesterday, I twisted a .375 to .25 adapter in two and twisted a ball on an allen wrench off and it came out with a magnet. Is there a sequence to getting it to turn loose. This is on a 2014 Vstrom 650.
20200905_134943.jpg

hmmm! they used the old style 1000 system it takes a 6mm hex in at least a 3/8 socket bit and a good sharp hit it can be stuck good.

Went to HF and got some tools. It came loose. I need to watch what I order. Ordered a DID chain but came with flared link. Just another tool I don't have. Is the flared link any better than a clip link ? Or just a cheap way for the manufucturer ?

properly done a riveted master link is more reliable. I have seen a ktm 690 be reduced to a push bike due to old fashion master link failure.

Bwdmax,
You were real close. The sprocket change is almost on the money. I changed from a 15/47 to a 16/46. Checking with gps, 55mph is right on. 75 mph is 1 mph slower than the gps. I still have plenty power for me plus slower rpm's.

Bwdmax,
You were real close. The sprocket change is almost on the money. I changed from a 15/47 to a 16/46. Checking with gps, 55mph is right on. 75 mph is 1 mph slower than the gps. I still have plenty power for me plus slower rpm's.
How is 1st and second gear at slow speed? I did one tooth up on counter sprocket on my XR650L and did not like what it did to first and second. Course I'm now always trying to shift to 6th gear:). The Strom has more hp so I'm sure you will be fine. Have fun. I had a 2012 Wee and loved it.

I like the rpm's a little better. We went to Mary's for lunch after church Sunday and it seems my mpg may have went down some. It did change mph when shifting. I thought the mpg would go up a little but maybe not.

Dogin RPM's lowers MPG on my Stroms. I can see it affect ave. mpg indicator and also at fill up. I ride mostly in 5th under 60-65 Mine loves 4000 rpm on 14 big V. The factory puts the best mpg sprockets for fuel mileage speed limits, you can bet on that, Faster or slower or personal preference is another deal. My 12 650V loved to stay revved up or you had to shift a lot on hills and sharp curves, especially with tall wind shields. If I take WS off I bet mpg would go up, but I prefer the comfort.
No offence but I bet you go back to stock, I have been there. Just did it and redid it on my XR650L. It takes expensive transmission work to make mine right. Now if I do trails exclusively I can drop the counter sprocket by a tooth, I have spare. I know I will never go up one from stock,again it weirds things out on pavement and gravel roads where I mostly ride.
You did a good job and learned some things and having fun, that's what counts. Hope it is what you want.

I like the rpm's a little better. We went to Mary's for lunch after church Sunday and it seems my mpg may have went down some. It did change mph when shifting. I thought the mpg would go up a little but maybe not.

You have to factor in the change in the odometer reading when you change gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back