• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncles and News On BBRSP

Hi, some news and reports from Big Bend Ranch State Park for any Unkie's that want to venture up!

- For our RDS annual ride at BBRSP this Christmas, a couple folks showed up with their license plate under the rear fender well. This set off the Park officer to do a round of FULL inspections on our bikes. Well, as you would suspect, lots of us had out of date tags and inspections (or no inspection), ect. The Park officer was very generous and did not cite anyone in our group, tho he could have.

So note to self: Make sure your bike is fully street legal, inspected, tagged, and insured! When riding in BBRSP you are on public roads (NO TRAILS) and subject to all the legal requirements.

The Park police was just doing his job, we respect that. He also provided lots of good information on the roads and asked for feed back on conditions from us.

- The "road" from Lajitas that enters BBRSP is CLOSED to vehicles. I had on good report that over the holidays several dual sport riders in the Terlingua area illegally entered the Park on this. The Park takes a very dim view of this, and you will pay heavy consquence. Please respect the Park rules and ride only on roads open to vehicles, we dont want a few renegades ruining it for all of us. Illegal riding in BBRSP is NOT COOL.

- You can ride the NEWLY opened Botella Road which is marked on the map. The map says Botella Trailhead but its acually 4X4 road as you can see in the pic below. The Park Super allowed RDS riders to sample this for the FIRST time last year, and the Park has updated it's map. This allows riders a new option without having to stay on the main park road heading north.

However take the route that bears right. The one bearing left, is an impassable wash out. Even the Park has not navigated this. We attempted last year, and it was impassible. The route bearing right includes a very tricky short, steep up hill you have to find coming out of a wash. Also, at one point the road appears to go straight, but will dead end you at private property. You have to bear right. Its tricky, but offers some very good riding.

BotellaMap_zps8f9e5613.jpg

Enjoy riding on the roads in BBRSP, the Park is very welcoming to dual sports! Look forward to seeing you at Uncles!

Bottom of the steep hill climb on Botella (no I did not make it....:flip:). Offers no room for a run up, its after set of 90 degree turns in a wash.

2013_BUTT_031_zps1bc5ca6b.jpg

Kosmic of RDS enjoying Botella!

BUTTPa4_zps1ed501da.jpg

Father and son time at BBRSP!

BUTTCri2_zps30ad2df1.jpg

Re: Uncles and News On BBRSP

However take the route that bears right. The one bearing left, is an impassable wash out. Even the Park has not navigated this. We attempted last year, and it was impassible. The route bearing right includes a very tricky short, steep up hill you have to find coming out of a wash. Also, at one point the road appears to go straight, but will dead end you at private property. You have to bear LEFT. Its tricky, but offers some very good riding.
Edit to my post...see LEFT in RED. Can mod fix? Thanks!

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Thanks for posting this info. Sometimes it is easy to forget that your bike is out of inspection. A small group of us are planning on riding at the ranch Thursday and Saturday while out there for the Uncles ride .

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Thanks for posting this info. Sometimes it is easy to forget that your bike is out of inspection. A small group of us are planning on riding at the ranch Thursday and Saturday while out there for the Uncles ride .

Very cool! BBRSP staff is very welcoming to dual sports and your going to love it. Just wanted to post a reminder, for the benefit of everyone.

I need to get my XRR down to Zabor's for a new inspection before Uncles!

Very cool! BBRSP staff is very welcoming to dual sports and your going to love it. Just wanted to post a reminder, for the benefit of everyone.

I need to get my XRR down to Zabor's for a new inspection before Uncles!

Ride it down here to Gonzales , we can get ours inspected at the same time and then go hit some gravel :rider:

Registration emailed.

where is the link for the emailing the registration and how do I pay?

James

Check the first post.

Registration sent via PayPal,
Looking forward to having the XR650R in its element!
Thanks!

Mine sent by snail mail today

Re: Uncles and News On BBRSP

- For our RDS annual ride at BBRSP this Christmas, a couple folks showed up with their license plate under the rear fender well. This set off the Park officer to do a round of FULL inspections on our bikes. Well, as you would suspect, lots of us had out of date tags and inspections (or no inspection), ect. The Park officer was very generous and did not cite anyone in our group, tho he could have.

So note to self: Make sure your bike is fully street legal, inspected, tagged, and insured! When riding in BBRSP you are on public roads (NO TRAILS) and subject to all the legal requirements.

The Park police was just doing his job, we respect that. He also provided lots of good information on the roads and asked for feed back on conditions from us.

This pushed me over the edge to finally get the bike ready for inspection, after 2 1/2 years and 4 or 5 thousand miles. I've always been plated, registered and insured, but I blew off the inspection. I figured I would do it if I got a ticket and pay the $10 fine.

I was getting my street bike inspected (5 months overdue) and got to talking to the inspector about how I have the lighting on the CRF. I must admit I was testing the waters.

I have an HID headlight in the shell and I have it aimed for a low beam but it is still very bright. I have a ADVmonster LED on a RAM mount for a high beam and have it wired to a thumb switch on the bars.

I mentioned using an air horn and he said that it would pass.

He must have said three times, "It's and enduro, I don't think I'd check."

We also got to talking about an non running 82 Ironhead Sportster that he was thinking out picking up cheap after 20 years off a bike. I gave him my number if he needed any help.

So, pm me if you need a flexible inspector.

Whoo Hoo! Moving back to Texas from Colorado next month and really looking forward to heading out to Big Bend!

welcome back.....I moved from Westminster Co back here to Katy a year and a half ago....never looked back.

Registration for RTB and Adventure Challenge paypal-ed. See y'all in the desert!

Registration for RTB and Adventure Challenge paypal-ed. See y'all in the desert!

You're a little late for RTB aren't you?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Registration sent via email and PayPal!:rider:

Registration mailed and reservation at the mining company is made.

I'm between dual sports and might go shopping this weekend. It seems like the right thing to do... :clap:

Registration mailed and reservation at the mining company is made.

I'm between dual sports and might go shopping this weekend. It seems like the right thing to do... :clap:

Cool. We will see you there . everal of us are riding BBRSP a couple of days while were out there . Meriden and I have been in your neck of the woods twice in the last month or so riding M`s " Lavaca County loop :rider: . What are you going to be shopping for?

I'm thinking about the WR250R for the fuel injection. I'm a mile away from a gravel road network in the south end of Lavaca County. Y'all stop by anytime!

PAID :).

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Well, I have my PTO sign, my hotel room reservation, registration form and payment sent. :clap:

For both events :eek2:
Let see how it goes, I am on a diet, eating healthy, riding my mountain bike and preparing my F650GS......I can't wait.

:rider::rider::rider::rider::loco:

I'm going to be camping at a site just down the road at a place called Rancho Topanga. http://www.ranchotopanga.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back